[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Scots Irish
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11
File: scot.jpg (4 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
scot.jpg
4 KB, 225x225
An old woman in my neighborhood from North Carolina says she's Scots-Irish.

I've heard that term a few times in recent years so I decided to look up what it meant.

So it's a group of Scottish people who left Scotland in the early 1600s and settled in the north of Ireland

MY question is, why doe this classification even exist?

Apparently they were only there for 100 years before they fled to the US.

In only 100 years could have they really become that much different than a Scottish man who also fled to America in the early 1700s?

Are the Scots-Irish even Irish at all?
>>
File: 1453944609263.png (568 KB, 806x540) Image search: [Google]
1453944609263.png
568 KB, 806x540
>>679475

>muh heritage
>>
They still exist in Northern Ireland, they were mostly forcefully relocated there from Dumfries and Galloway which was the most hardcore presbytarian region at the time and also pretty distant from the rest of Scotland, so they were probably culturally distinct already.
>>
>>679475
Well, there's Scots and there's Scots, y'see, and some of the Scots are Scottish and some are Irish, but some are Irish and some are also Scots, and there's the Irish Scots who are Irish and the Scots Irish who are Scots, not mention the Irish Scots Scots who are Scots Irish and the Scots Irish Scots who are Scots, except when they're Irish, in which case they're also Scots.
>>
File: 232309119_orig.jpg (235 KB, 1478x420) Image search: [Google]
232309119_orig.jpg
235 KB, 1478x420
In the UK we call them "Ulster-Scots"

They say shit like this

They have worse grades in school than pupils from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Africa, and only have slightly better grades than pupils who are gypsies.
>>
>>679512
underrated post.
>>679517
>They have worse grades in school than pupils from Pakistan, Bangladesh
To be fair, brown kids tend to do pretty well in academics. Well at least here in the States I don''t know about the UK
>>
File: yay.gif (14 KB, 416x416) Image search: [Google]
yay.gif
14 KB, 416x416
>>679512
>>
The Plantation of Ulster began in the 17th century when English and Scottish Protestants settled on land confiscated from the Gaelic Irish.

King James I believed that colonising Ulster would quell rebellion and win over the 'rude and barbarous Irish' to 'civility' and Protestantism.

One rough estimate reckoning there were 100,000 Scots and 20,000 English at the time of the rebellion of 1641
>>
They're literally worse than niggers. You know the stereotypical Appalachian obese, sister-fucking, toothless, illiterate, permanently drunk hillbilly? That's Scots Irish. They're also engaging in all sorts of kooky religions like Pentecostalism.

There literally have been records of these "people" going feral during the colonization of the Carolinas, too.
>>
>>679517
Scots-Irish confirmed niggers
>>
>>679517
>Don't anybody tell you that it's not true, it is true."

Can't argue with that.
>>
File: 1453897365566.jpg (56 KB, 386x464) Image search: [Google]
1453897365566.jpg
56 KB, 386x464
>>679512
>>
>>679517
>Chittick

Not Scottish.
>>
File: limehouse.jpg (4 KB, 256x170) Image search: [Google]
limehouse.jpg
4 KB, 256x170
>>680444
>You know the stereotypical Appalachian obese, sister-fucking, toothless, illiterate, permanently drunk hillbilly?

yeah i know of it, but ive traveled through appalachia, many many times and i didnt see any inbreeding

big surprise, hollywood got something wrong.
bet you feel so smart for buying into the propaganda though, huh?
>>
>>682043

OK, well I work in an array CGH lab in Pittsburgh and we see inbreeding from Appalachians who come in here for genetic testing all the time. Usually it's daughter/father inbreeding and not sister/brother, so I guess you're right that Hollywood is wrong.
>>
File: ireland for the irish.jpg (26 KB, 313x428) Image search: [Google]
ireland for the irish.jpg
26 KB, 313x428
>>679475

The Scots were originally an Irish tribe, who invaded and conquered Pictland, renaming it Scotland. So the Scots-Irish are Irish colonists of Scotland, recolonising their ancestral homelands in Ireland. It's one of those historical ironies, like how Israel is a nation of converted goyim waging a war on the native islamified Hebrews in the name of Judaism.
>>
>>682055
im not saying it doesnt happen

but if hollywood had any balls they would talk about all the in breeding among the injuns or even the nogs

for obvious reasons they'll never talk about the most inbred race of them all....
>>
>>682086
>So the Scots-Irish are Irish colonists of Scotland, recolonising their ancestral homelands in Ireland.
The Scots who were settled in the north east of Ireland were universally English-speaking Lowland Scots, some families having only been living in Scotland for a generation or two. People who spoke Gaelic or had a "Mac" in their surname weren't allowed to participate in the plantation.

They have nothing to do with the Scoti or Gaels.
>>
File: 1422349035351.jpg (26 KB, 300x260) Image search: [Google]
1422349035351.jpg
26 KB, 300x260
>scotch irish
>scotch
>>
>>682086
>The Scots were originally an Irish tribe, who invaded and conquered Pictland, renaming it Scotland.

Actually, that theory's no longer accepted.
>>
>>679475
Scots-Irish in the U.S. is a general term for those of Irish Protestant origin. They are distinguished from the mass waves of Irish Catholic immigrants from the 1850s onwards. They're pretty much the base ancestry for white southerners and had a massive influential on southern culture.
>>
>>682791
other anon says they're appalachian though

are they both?
>>
>>682822

Both, you can actually hear the northern Irish influence in southern accents
>>
>>682822
It's not a regional distinction, before large scale European immigration they were the ancestors of most of the settlers from the Appalachians down to Dixie.
>>
File: AJ.jpg (116 KB, 1200x1385) Image search: [Google]
AJ.jpg
116 KB, 1200x1385
SCOTS IRISH ARE THE TRUEST BLUEST AMERICANS THERE ARE.

WE HAVE BEEN GENERATING BUTTHURT FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS AND WE AIN'T GETTING TIRED OF IT YET!

WEW
E
W
>>
File: Andrew Jackson.jpg (16 KB, 236x290) Image search: [Google]
Andrew Jackson.jpg
16 KB, 236x290
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2zvWbrv-CY
>>
File: Buchanan.jpg (433 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Buchanan.jpg
433 KB, 768x1024
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5PMmagpho8
>>
>>682677
>what is Dal Riata
>>
>>683038
>Glorify american revolutionaries
>while being a staunch loyalist
Never understood this 2bh
>>
>>679475
Fuck sake guys, Kenneth MacAiplin fought to get you into scotland, and you're just pissing off? Fucking hell.
>>
>>682822

Scots-Irish are mostly in the majority-white parts of the South (like the Piedmont and Appalachia). White people in the lowlands with all the colored fellas are mostly of English descent.
>>
>>683157
Blood runs thicker than ink.
>>
>>679517
Wee Curious George is underrated as an absolute mongoloid. Bitter men like this give us Protestants a bad name.
He chants 'No Surrender' at peaceful protests.
>>
>>683157
They're retarded.

>>683380
That's why they're such fans of Wolfe Tone, right?
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.