[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inform me all there is about the Hyksos.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: Hyksos.jpg (51 KB, 540x143) Image search: [Google]
Hyksos.jpg
51 KB, 540x143
Inform me all there is about the Hyksos.
>>
They were Assyrians.
>>
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 526x533) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 526x533
>>677172
>Assyrians

Knowing them they'd get bootyblasted halfway through Egypt because they weren't worshipping Sham-Mesh.
>>
File: Levantine_Sea.jpg (139 KB, 627x512) Image search: [Google]
Levantine_Sea.jpg
139 KB, 627x512
>>677168

I've studied them quite a bit recently!!

From what I understand, the Hyksos were Palestinian and Syrian refugees / entrepreneurs who immigrated to southern Palestine and the Nile Delta region c. 1750 - 1700 B.C.

They slowly began establishing power (economically first, since they were all over the Nile's outlet, but slowly politically since they are related) in Egypt to the point where, along with Ethiopian assistance in the south, they were able to push 'pure-blood' Egyptian rule out of Egypt.

They integrated into Egyptian culture for the most part and were Egyptian to everyone except the real Egyptians, who started to get pissed once they were cut out of the economy.

After ruling for around 200 years and even establishing their own Dynasty, the majority of 'Hyksos' (Palestinian / Syrian immigrants) were expunged from the land by Ahmose I, whose father and brother had both dedicated their lives to the effort.

They fled to Palestine.

Hatchepsut also had her own expulsion of Hyksos and slaves later in history
>>
>>677168
Jews

Basis of story for Exodus

Except it was the other way. Egyptians had enough of them and kicked them out, not Jews were wanted and escaped
>>
>>677966

what this nigga said too
>>
>>677966
>>677971
No, the I S R A E L I T E S were demoted in the social classes once the New Kingdom came into existence, which changed the social dynamic.

Those people who came to be known as Israelites were made the lowest class. These people did not resemble Jews and were just like Egyptians in their rituals et cetera.
>>
>>677168
The Hyksos were stronger than the Egyptians as they brought more advanced technology from the North.

The word means "kings from foreign lands" or Governors.

I posit that the Hyksos were connected to Babylon and they made Egyptian a vassal as the Mesopotamians did later.

The Hyksos lost their hegemony after the Hittites sacked Babylon and became the dominant power in the Levant.

The Hittites created a vacuum of power in the Middle East which allowed the New Kingdom to expand.
>>
>>678350

This makes sense from an Exodus/Biblical point of view, but not from a historic one.

The historic consensus, along with the evidence, is that the Hyksos fled back into Palestine, intermingled with the native Canaanites, and then one of these tribes, probably a little Moabite influences too, became Israel, eventually forming a confederacy with other Canaanite tribes
>>
>>678372

But where's the evidence that they were connected to Babylon? Yes they were technologically superior, but its a leap to say, "since they were, therefore they came from Babylon."

The Hittites fucking everything up had something to do with it, but you're looking too far northwest. The Hyksos came from mainly from Syria
>>
>>678387

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khyan
> Khayan was a king of the Hyksos Fifteenth dynasty of Egypt.
> A sphinx with his name was bought on the art market at Bagdad and might demonstrate diplomatic contacts to Babylon.

> Austrian archaeologists have found a Babylonian seal in Egypt that confirms contact between the Babylonians and the Hyksos during the second millennium B.C.
> http://www.fravahr.org/spip.php?breve906
>>
File: Ancient_Levant_routes.png (290 KB, 919x622) Image search: [Google]
Ancient_Levant_routes.png
290 KB, 919x622
>>678403

This is some really interesting shit, I'd never heard of this before.

But I still think its a bit of a stretch to say that they were Babylonian. It's well understood that the Hyksos 'capital', Avaris, had extensive trade with most of the Near-east and Mediterranean world, being on the Nile and near the 'Way of the Sea' trade-route.

I suspect that we'd also find similar artifacts in Crete or Ugarit, especially spread across Mesopotamia as they were trying to showcase their new power and authority.

The problem is that ALL Hyksos took pride in being foreigners, but they only rarely specify from where. I understand your reasoning, but I still think it's too far of a stretch. SOME may have been Babylonians, but a very minuscule minority.
>>
>>677168
Weird, we just covered this in my Ancient world hist class. What I leaned today was.

>Refugees/Troublemakers from Babylon, probably exiled.
>Came into Egypt with much better military tech then Egyptians and wiped the floor with them
>When in power they opened borders to Hebrews and Nubians
>Kept a close eye on everyone but priests
>Priests used to communicate between underground resistance led by Ahmoses
>Ahmoses wins and start of the The New Kingdom

R8 my professor
>>
>>678376
Hyksos were unrelated to the Jews, they were a nomadic peoples who occupied the Sinai and the Hittites encouraged them to attack the Egyptians who wanted them to pay levies of grain and livestock to the temples.
>>
>>678433
neat historical speculator/10

>>678434
They're a distant ancestor of the Hebrew Israelites who integrated into Canaanite customs, but retained a few uniquely Hyksos traditions.
>>
>>678445
interesting thats certainly possible the Israelites were pretty mobile like a lot of races in the near east during that period.

>>678433
Always thought the Hyksos troubles occured during the New Kingdom though of course that may have been the nearest contemporary group the Egyptians could have falled under before its formation.
>>
>>678456
Well, I mean, Isrealite history is a tricky thing. You know, we call the precursors to Romans, Etruscans. But what do we call the Isrealite precursors? Proto-israelites. We're constantly biased about how and why they formed because we always have that Biblical image frittering in the back of our mind.

Isreal, speaking earnestly though, had so many similarities to Canaanites of the time that its unfair to say they were something other than just that: Canaanites. And with the Confederacy of the 'Twelve Tribes', located at Shilo, they would communally worship YAHWEH, led by Israel in this endeavor.
>>
>>678471
>Romans, Etruscans
What? The Etruscans had a different language to Latins. The Etruscans spoke a native language whereas Latin is Indo-European.

The Indo-Europeans destroyed all the native peoples culturally.
>>
>>678480
You do get what I mean though, right?
>>
>>678456
>the Israelites were pretty mobile like a lot of races in the near east during that period

the fuck do you know about "israelites during that period"? the only reference to israel is from a stela of Pharaoh Merenptah that lists them among Asian peoples that he BTFO during his last campaign

there's no trace of them in Egypt, and they certainly weren't "Jews". everyone was polytheistic at the time and the Hyksos worshiped essentially the same gods as the Egyptians, especially Seth whom they equated with Baal
>>
>>678433
>from Babylon

Speculative horseshit
>>
>>678480
Linguistically, not culturally
>>
>>678433
complete nonsense. archaeological findings, especially by the austrian archaeological institute in tell el-dab'a, the ancient Avaris (the Hyksos capital) have shown in great detail that there has been a steady immigration of canaanites during the middle kingdom into the Delta. eventually one of their clans managed to make pharaoh and rule much of the country. there is no sign of any kind of "invasion" or even hostility toward the egyptians. from the looks of it, the thebans started the war and came up with "egypt for real egyptians" propaganda that most people are still buying today because they needed a reason to annex the delta.
>>
Hyksos are a red herring to distract you from the Jewish conspiracy.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.