[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about this guy? Just started listening
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (535 KB, 3840x2400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
535 KB, 3840x2400
What do you guys think about this guy? Just started listening and it's nice, but is it accurate?
>>
>>67567
There are answers on this by various historians online. The general consensus is that he's entertaining and mostly accurate but he's not the one you want to turn to if you want in-depth knowledge about the subject. He's a good entry-point for history enthusiasts and generally interesting to listen to. That said, I just bought The Fall of the Republic from his site and I'm enjoying it so far.
>>
>>67567
He's great. He brings a lot of passion to the table and is pretty entertaining. He also draws good conclusions and is pretty accurate for an amateur historian (which fortunately, he seems to have the humility to never forget he is).
>>
>>67567
he cites his sources a lot, and reads many straight quotes. He will mention if he was forced to rely on only a few sources in a section (because of language or other constraints). HE often mentions what biases his source might be bringing to the narrative (such as Chruchill's account of the Gallipoli doonbogle is somewhat damage control)
Except for some of his analogies, I can't see where you could fault his accuracy very much.
Never believe anyone entirely, always double check what someone says.
>>
>>67567
Who?
>>
>>67567
Latest one was a bit direction-less. Not sure what he was really going for.

The WW1 series is fucking spectacular however. Have listened through it twice, will probably listen again some time in the future.
>>
Who?
>>
Dan is great. He himself has said he considers it his job to tell a story well enough that it gets the listeners interested in further reading about it. And most of the time, it works.

Blueprint for Armageddon is honestly the best podcast l've ever listened to.

>>68602
Isn't the new one supposed to be a two-parter?
>>
>>68602
i like the new one, he really perked my interest in the ancient assyrians with the latest one and the judgement at ninevah.
>>68691
new one is stand alone from what i understand
>>
>>68809
Are the old shows worth buying? Specifically Judgment at Nineveh, Death Throes of the Republic?

I could just download them, but l'd feel bad about it because l really like Dan.
>>
File: mammy.jpg (94 KB, 840x646) Image search: [Google]
mammy.jpg
94 KB, 840x646
>>68691
>Blueprint for Armageddon is honestly the best podcast l've ever listened to.
I listened to every episode after getting my wisdom teeth out while whacked out on Oxycontin, what an experience.
>>
I like it. A bit too Americanised at times but other than that hes great.
>>
>>68864
hue

But yeah, I like Carlin, especially because knows how awesome the Imperial Germany Army was. Way cooler than Wehrmacht, sorry Naziboos.
>>
>>68864
Could you describe it?
>>
>>68848
yes, those are 2 of my favorites. totally worth it, i paid for both of them. ghosts of the ostfront is also god tier.
>>
>>68848
Ghosts of the Ostfront is basically the best shit ever.
>>
>>68945
>>68971
Great, l'll make sure to check them out then. Thanks.
>>
>>69112
wrath of the khans is my favourite of the whole series, good news is it is still free until his next podcast comes out.
>>
>>67567
Not bad. I'm no /his/torian though.
>>
>>69188
i caught that, nice one.

for those whose heads this will go over, anon was making a joke about how dan carlin says "i'm not a historian" about 3 times per podcast.
>>
NOT A HISTORIAN JUST A FAN OF HISTORY

SORRY IF I MESS UP THIS BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE

DECIMATION

A MODERN SPORTS STADIUM

WHAT DOES THAT LOOK LIKE?? CAN YOU IMAGINE WHAT THAT LOOKED LIKE?

LISTEN TO ME SHOUT A QUOTE

BOOOOOOOM

[spoiler]Punic Nightmares and Blueprint are the greatest goddamn things ever[/spoiler]
>>
>>69500
Well yeah, he's American but I like him
>>
>>68848
Pirate them m9
>>
>>69500
SCHIZOPHRENIC GIANT FOLKS

ABSOLUTELY DECIMATED, NOTHING LEFT

BWAAAAAAH
>>
THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A SECOND
>>
File: JUUvouh.png (139 KB, 1899x535) Image search: [Google]
JUUvouh.png
139 KB, 1899x535
This is going to come up sooner or later, might as well be now
>>
>>70797
That was a fun thread.
>>
Who?
>>
>>67567
I listened to his talk about Alexander the Great and found it to be without substance. Didn't care to check out the rest.
>>
>>71416
Wasn't that one of the earliest ones? Quality has increased since then. Death throes of the republic, Wrath of the Khans and Blueprint for armageddon are definitely worth checking out.
>>
>>71499
It was the very first, I think

Maybe I'll check out his newer ones.
>>
>>68809
the new episode will have a sequel
>>
>>68941
not him but i listened to one of the episodes high out of my mind and had a full on panic attack thinking about the conditions in the trenches
>>
>>67567
Any information is accurate if it suits your beliefs.
>>
>>70797
I literally peed myself
>>
File: 1385721899899.jpg (72 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1385721899899.jpg
72 KB, 251x251
>mfw Wrath of the Khans
>>
The question is, which is better overall, Wrath of Khans or Blueprint to Armageddon?
>>
>>74037
I found the wrath of khans more entertaining

Fell asleep on a train while listening to blueprint
>>
>>74037
Blueprint, I felt more emotions with that one. I was horrified and scared out of my mind
>>
>>74155
The way he describes the artillery barrages and those testimonies and letters, damn.
>>
>>74155
>>74199
I'll give it another try then

I was quite tired desu
>>
>>68945
Agreed, Ghosts of the Ostfront is positively stellar. In both it and in Blueprint for Armageddon, he does a bloody excellent job of conveying an idea of how mentally and physically exhausting it was to fight on the front lines in the first and second world wars.
>>
>>68848
>Death Throes of the Republic?
A masterwork, get it anon. The full series is like 15h long.
>>
>>74419
This. 11 bucks well spent.
>>
File: 1433138669381.jpg (62 KB, 719x719) Image search: [Google]
1433138669381.jpg
62 KB, 719x719
>Found "Prophets of Doom" to be absolute God-Tier
>Story of madness, prophets, religious fanatics starving to death within their own city
>Leap onto the internet to find out more about it
>Find a bunch of sources through Google (inb4 pleb tier)
>Apparently real story nowhere near as fun as Carlin told it
>MFW

I'm not as big of a professional History fag as most people here, but tell me, did Dan Carlin deliberately use the most extreme sources because he knew that would make his story better? Or did I do wrong in going to the wrong sources?
>>
>>69500
>Am I getting that right, Ben?

From what I've heard of his earlier shows, he seemed to have been a lot more bombastic and Alex Jonesy. I actually like the way he's simmered down; he seems more experienced and pleasant to listen to.

I hope this board will generate fan art somehow; I expect we'll get a drawfag thread eventually.

[spoiler] they will never enable surprise boxes on this board [/spoiler]
>>
>>75037
Fan art of what, Dan or historical figures/events?
>>
File: 1393888272153.jpg (20 KB, 347x314) Image search: [Google]
1393888272153.jpg
20 KB, 347x314
>>71416
"The Macedonian Soap Opera"?

That's one of the weaker ones, I feel. I'd highly recommend trying at least one more.

>>75108
Well, I meant of Dan in that post, but OC in general can't hurt.
>>
>>68914
His background is in radio, so it's expected.
>>
>>69500
DECEMBER 7th 1941
>>
>>75336
IT'S HISTORY

THE EVENTS

THE FIGURES
>>
File: 1439982618137.png (581 KB, 675x900) Image search: [Google]
1439982618137.png
581 KB, 675x900
>>70797
This is why /his/ is rapidly becoming my new favorite board
>>
>>76521
Pre-/his/ but I'm loving it here as well
>>
File: 1443450777807.jpg (42 KB, 428x487) Image search: [Google]
1443450777807.jpg
42 KB, 428x487
>>70797
fuck you man. i have a bad cold and now my chest hurts from laughing so much. its so dead fucking on.
>>
>>75336
I WELCOME THIS KIND OF EXAMINATION
BECAUSE PEOPLE GOTTA KNOW WHETHER OR NOT THERE PRESIDENT IS A CROOK
WELL I'M NOT A CROOK
>>
>>67567
I like him and it's entertaining. Nice to have someone who has some emotion talk about history, though he tends to repeat himslef I've found.
>>
>>74037
Blueprint, but I like more modern stuff.

Death Throes of the Republic gets really good with third triumvirate desu.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.