[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Viking helmets had Horns Post things people actually believe
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12
>Viking helmets had Horns

Post things people actually believe about ancient cultures
>>
>The medieval period was full of witch burnings.
>>
everyone is covered in filth.
>>
Christianity was totally pro science and didn't du nuffin
>>
Byzantines weren't considered Romans
>>
>>675626
man we wuz monks we wuz preserving ancient records and shit
>>
>Islam was spread only by the sword, and its early practitioners were savages without exception
>>
>Greek and Roman society were highly accepting of gay relationships
>The first Han emperor burned all books not by Confucius
>The destruction of the Library of Alexandria was a set back to scientific progress
>>
>>675620
Peasants didn't have anarcho-syndicalist communes.
>>
>>675596
>Constantine converted to Christianity after Milvian bridge
>There was continuous persecution of Christians in the Roman empire
>Germanic tribals like Goths are fur-wearing savages
>Parthians always bested Romans militarily because of horse archers
>Parthians are Persians
>>
>>675643
>Library of Alexandria

It could have had a copy of Babylonian calculus or some shit.
>>
File: Drinking-Horn-Gallehus.jpg (367 KB, 1000x524) Image search: [Google]
Drinking-Horn-Gallehus.jpg
367 KB, 1000x524
>>675596
I know that it was never used in battle, but what's with all the horned figures in things like pic related then?
>>
>>675712
Who knows. depiction of some spirit? animal traits usually make their way onto things like that
>>
>>675712

Shot in the dark here, but wasn't Loki often depicted with horns?
>>
>>675712
I think they had horned helmets but they were used for ceremonial purposes, I'm not sure...
>>
People actually believe Druids built Stonehenge. They are certain of this fact and will defend it.

They might even be in this thread.
>>
>Christianity was pro science and dindu nuffin
>Christianity was anti-science and superstitious
>Egyptians were white
>Egyptians were black
>Islam was peaceful and shit back in the golden age
>Islam was always a barbaric and savage faith
>monarchs had complete power
>monarchs had no real power
>germans were savage barbarians who destroyed rome
>germans were noble barbarians who saved rome
>Byzantium is the true heir to the Roman Empire
>HRE is the true heir to the Roman Empire
>Australia didn't get KHAN'd
>>
>>675859
I dont know who the hell built stonehenge.
>>
>>675864

But you can rest assured they were more determined than you!
>>
>>675675
>Hurrr durr Constantine I wasn't baptized until his deathbed
That was common for early Christians, retard.
>>
>>675649
syndicalism isn't really about communes, communism is
>>
>>675596
I went to that exhibit

Was breddy gud
>>
>>675635
How is this wrong?
>>
>people during the medieval era died when they were 40
its kinda depressing how people still fail to realize life expectancy accounts for childhood mortality
>>
>>675913
*whoosh*
>>
>>675861
>>Byzantium is the true heir to the Roman Empire
Of course this is wrong, 'Byzantium' wasn't an heir to the Roman Empire. It WAS the Roman Empire.
>>
>>675913
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7qT-C-0ajI
>>
>>675676
Was it being used? No? Not a setback.
>>
>>676244
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-29/ancient-babylonian-text-earliest-use-of-calculus-for-astronomy/7121548
>>
>>676278
Geometrical calculus was common and rediscovered in the Medieval era, in an area far from Alexandria. When people say calculus they usually tend to mean the calculus of the infinitesimal.
>>
>>675596
>Messers where a thing because it was illegal for plebs to own swords.
>>
>>675888

>mfw I'm actually obama

jokes on you fuckface
>>
>>675635
>mahomet was a gud boi who didn do nuffin wrong
>>
>>675861
>KHAN'd
What does he mean by this?
>>
File: jjjlol.jpg (28 KB, 801x534) Image search: [Google]
jjjlol.jpg
28 KB, 801x534
>>676546
>>
>>676287
Correct me on this?
>>
>>676575
It was a fashio and maybe, just maybe also a dealing between cutler and swordsmith guilds, that made the Messer popular with the common folks, but there never was a law or anything. When weapons where banned, the Messer was included.
Now some idiot spouted that meme and every parrot on the internet repeats it.
>>
>>675635
>was spread only by the sword
Absolutely true, excluding SE Asia.
>savages
Not true, considering their period.
>>
>>675596
>vikings didn't have horns
can't know that for sure, it's not completely out there for them to use horns, and plenty of depictions of barbarian warriors had horns on their helmets. Effectiveness wouldn't always matter, some people would actually care about what looks cooler or more intimidating.
>>
>>676594

Horns on helmets would be a huge disadvantage in melee combat though, as one could quite easily grab a horn and drag their opponent to the ground with it. Warriors would often be ok with wearing useless shit to look cool, but cool shit that would significantly increase your chances of being killed, not so much. Not to mention anyone who did choose to wear such items would be killed off fairly quickly in addition to that.
>>
>>675626
>>675632

To be fair, it was the barbarians who put an end to classical learning. The church is the only reason civic society survived at all in France and Italy, in Britain where christianisation was superficial, the cities didn't survive the barbarians at all.
>>
>>676611
>le cracked history
>>
File: coif-celtic-ciumesti.jpg (26 KB, 450x302) Image search: [Google]
coif-celtic-ciumesti.jpg
26 KB, 450x302
>>675840
>>675596

That would be the Celts, who not only had horned helmets but all kinds of odd and showy headwear such as pic related, a bird with articulated wings that flapped as the warrior charged.
>>
>>676611
>grab the horn
I never got this one, if someone was trying to grab a hold of a horn, couldn't you just stab him or whatever? It seems like he would be really vulnerable
>>
>>676638

A lot of fighting is very close-in. This is doubly true for Vikings, who fought in a shieldwall formation.

The Celts used them because they typically fought in more of a mob than a formation, making it more important that the leaders be visible and reducing the handicap in wrestling a horned helmet gives.
>>
>>675626
>fedora tippers triggered this hard that history doesn't fit their narrative
>>
>>676561
https://youtu.be/nV3zVTGDKvI
>>
File: fence sitting.jpg (105 KB, 1024x332) Image search: [Google]
fence sitting.jpg
105 KB, 1024x332
>>675861
>i sit on the fence about every topic of discussion so i'm much smarter than people who actually have opinions
>>
>>676762
Clearly the best Star Trek movie of them all
>>
>>675905
That's not the point he was making dipshit.
The fact is that we do not know exactly when Constantine converted to christianity, however from the historical record we can be quite certain that it wasn't during his italian campaign. Long before he embraced christianity he was a monotheist, the shift to full on christian was probably gradual.
>>
>>676561
incredibly shitty /int/ meme being spammed by a butthurt Polish autist.
>>
>>676945
>butthurt

It'll get better
>>
File: feel.jpg (47 KB, 680x684) Image search: [Google]
feel.jpg
47 KB, 680x684
>>676620
That feel when a 100 kg heavily muscled and mustachioed naked man runs towards you with a flapping bronze bird on his head.
>>
>>676963
ancient peoples were manlets.
>>
>>676796
>history is black and white and if you think otherwise you're retarded
>>
>>676968
Point being?
>>
>>676968

Not the Celts, who towered over the Romans and who had a diet very rich in meat.

>>676963

The whole thing is less than 5kg. But yeah, causing fear is a major part of Celtic war tactics, they used battle cries and a kind of trumpet as well. They mostly fought against other Celts, who fielded armies mostly made of civilians, so causing panic was a viable tactic. Didn't work against teh Romans, ofc.
>>
File: Western Barbarians Celts (5).jpg (335 KB, 1110x1504) Image search: [Google]
Western Barbarians Celts (5).jpg
335 KB, 1110x1504
>>676963
That helmet came during a time when Celts abandoned mob-style warfare and weird antics like naked warriors.
>>
>>677050
Hush, don't ruin my wet dreams.
>>
>>677050

Elite Celts had access to fine quality mail and weapons from very early on, but the majority of Celtic forces even during the time of Brennus would be unarmored. This is especially true in Britain, where the naked fighting style never went out of fashion.
>>
>>675712
Cork one end and you drink wine from it i think
>>
>>676611
Itd be the same if i grabbed you by your long ass neckbeard or your long ass hair or your clothes. Whats your point?
>>
>medieval people wore drab rags
>>
>>676796
But I don't. I was just posting things people actually believe.

I personally believe that Christianity dindu nuffin, Egyptians were North Africans, Islam was better in the past, monarchs had some real power, though absolute monarchism ruined it for everybody, germans killed rome but then redeemed themselves by becoming rome, and HRE is true roman empire.
>>
>>677210
How can HRE be the true roman empire if the roman empire was still around?
>>
>>676611
Not if you are the chieftain who leads the army from behind far from the conflict with 10 bodyguards
>>
>>675596
lots of horned helmets did exist though
>>
>>676945
This isn't incorrect, but the main thing is that Australians did the worst thing they could do and got mad as hell about it, thus making it worth the spamming.
>>
>>677166
poor people did
>>
File: dark.jpg (109 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dark.jpg
109 KB, 1920x1080
>the dark ages

Granted it doesn't sound like a fun time to be alive, and probably worse than a few centuries earlier in quite a few ways, but Jesus Christ people don't half exaggerate.
>>
>>676968
What? Julius Caesar pointed out in his commentaries that celts and germans was much taller than the romans.
>>
>>675635
Alternatively
>Christianity was spread only by tree-hugger-tier pacifists and its practitioners up to the crusaders dindu nuffin
>Also btw desu Crusaders dindu nuffin

No I'm not implying Muslims dindu nuffin either, keep your autism in check Christ/pol/fags
>>
>>675626
>there were no monks that preserved ancient texts
>ancient texts just popped up one day
>>
>>675635
90% of Islam's original spread was by the sword. It's absolutely true to say that it was violent from its inception. And anyone that says they were savages has no clue how barbaric our species was, and still is.
>>
File: GreekWarriors.jpg (28 KB, 236x385) Image search: [Google]
GreekWarriors.jpg
28 KB, 236x385
>>677078
>>677050
You people are the most retarded people on the planet, you must be Americans with a Jewish education?
>>
>>675596
Nobody under 40 or so believes that vikings had horns anymore. It's the most well known and repeated "historical mistake" ever.
>>
>>676945
Sounds like you've been KHAN'd
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.