[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How comes God was against Tower of Babylon but is ok with space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8
File: Tour_de_babel.jpg (2 MB, 3100x2246) Image search: [Google]
Tour_de_babel.jpg
2 MB, 3100x2246
How comes God was against Tower of Babylon but is ok with space program?
>>
it's cool as long as we don't start speaking esperanto on the ISS
>>
Space is actually a humbling experience so God is okay with it
>>
>>674824
METAPHORRRR
>>
>>674824
That never happened, thats was just Jews trying to explain why goyim didnt speak language as them. God wanted us to reach the heavens otherwise he wouldnt have made it possible for us to get into space.
>>
>>674824
It's a coincidence that all miracle stop happens since human invented photography and internet senpai.
>>
>>674824
Because he died
>>
>>674824
Space program didn't actually happen.
>>
>>674824
You can't reach Heaven through purely worldly means.
>>
God isn't ok with the space program, that's why he destroyed the Challenger and Columbia . He's too lazy to blow up every shuttle or rocket though.
>>
>>674876
>internet
>space program
>>
>>674824
Tower of Babylon is not a thing
the Tower of Babel, however, was. And it had nothing to do with "reaching the heavens" but more to do with geographic dispersal...
>>
>>674824
God was living in the sky at the time while heaven was re painted
>>
God wants humans to spread out instead of staying in one place. Now that earth is fully populated it's only natural to expand to space.
>>
>>675474
That's not the reason given in the text.
>>
>>674824
at that point god just gave up
>>
>>675203
Babel is just another name for Babylon...
>>
>>675479

>implying any text is absolute
>>
>>675064
>he says this as there's literally humans orbiting earth, and as we do experiments with lasers to check the spots where humans landed on the moon
>>
>>675727
>implying the text of an absolute being is not absolute
How about we stop giving any credence to the text because it deserves none?
>>
>>674876
Except they didn't stop. The Catholic Church requires miracles for someone's sainthood and take time to investigate to make sure it's not a fraud.
>>
File: 1394373531713.jpg (101 KB, 763x914) Image search: [Google]
1394373531713.jpg
101 KB, 763x914
>>675736
>Except they didn't stop. The Catholic Church requires miracles for someone's sainthood and take time to investigate to make sure it's not a fraud.
What's the latest in confirmed miracles?
>>
>>675736
Have any of them one Randy's $1 million challenge. He's giving away cash to anyone that can perform a miracle under controlled observation.

Just think about all the starving children that could be fed with that money! What's the matter, don't tell me the miracles only work if no one is looking?
>>
File: 1281191975978.gif (1005 KB, 227x136) Image search: [Google]
1281191975978.gif
1005 KB, 227x136
>>675735
>implying a text transcribed by imperfect human hands as heard by imperfect human ears and passed down by imperfect human tongues should still be treated as perfect

I bet you never played the "human telephone" game in school, eh?
>>
>>675762
>How about we stop giving any credence to the text because it deserves none?
Can you read?
>>
File: 2xKMYYK.gif (823 KB, 260x173) Image search: [Google]
2xKMYYK.gif
823 KB, 260x173
>>675768

Yes. Can you understand how easily your words can be construed as sarcasm on a website known for two-faced irony and trolling?
>>
>>675745
Most recent Saint that Pope Francis and the Vatican approved of was Maria de la Purisima Salvat Romero
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3%ADa_de_la_Pur%C3%ADsima_Salvat_Romero#Canonization_2

>A second miracle attributed to her intercession was investigated and was validated on 13 December 2013. It underwent careful scrutiny in a local process in 2013, and proceeded to a unanimous and positive decision on the part of the medical board in Rome on 6 November 2014; it also received the unanimous approval of theologians on 20 January 2015 and the Congregation for the Causes of Saints on 12 February 2015. On 5 May 2015, Pope Francis approved the miracle, which allowed for her to be canonized. A date was set for her canonization; it was determined at a consistory on 27 June 2015 and she was canonized as a saint of the Roman Catholic Church on 18 October 2015.

>>675752
That's quite literally "Putting God to the test" Jesus also didn't give miracles out to skeptics like Herod Antipater who wanted them out of amusement or a need of proof before they were willing to be loyal to God.
>>
File: 1402791991029.gif (2 MB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
1402791991029.gif
2 MB, 444x250
>>675780
>christfag thinks people are being ironic or sarcastic when they say their book has no credence and should be discarded from public discourse entirely
>>
File: 4BpVEsw.gif (2 MB, 400x232) Image search: [Google]
4BpVEsw.gif
2 MB, 400x232
>>675785

I think you're misconstruing, mate. I was arguing the exact point you're making.
>>
>>675781
>Most recent Saint that Pope Francis and the Vatican approved of was Maria de la Purisima Salvat Romero
Yes, and on what grounds do they claim that what this miracle happened?

You do understand that as a literal criminal and huckster institution the catholic church has a vested interest in peddling this shit?

>That's quite literally "Putting God to the test"
Any god worthy of being called such would understand that a game of telephone is not proof for supernatural claims. It's more likely than not that he's not supposed to be tested because the human charlatans who created him can't prove any of it.
>>
>>675785
>being so frightened of a book with 'no credence' that you want it completely removed from societal thought

Atheists truly are pathetic.
>>
>>675797
>frightened
Better adjectives are annoyed and bored by.
>>
>>675790
Yeah because it's really prestigious of a god to have his creations angrily tap their foot for a miracle and for the god to give it to them like a father whipped by their spoiled child.

You can google "How the Catholic Church determines miracles" though I doubt you will since you already have a negative view of the institution and rarely do arrogant people wish to prove themselves wrong.
>>
>>675818
But they did put got to the test in the bible in a competition against Belial where followers saw which god could light a pyre first.
>>
God took the slow approach with the space program. There are 7 humans alive that have been on the moon. All are over 80 years old.
>>
>>675785
>I don't like thing
>therefore it should never be mentioned no matter what the context is
>>
>>675979
You're right, it should be mentioned as mythology and failed attempts at moral pronouncements.
>>
Okay hold on, assuming God is real (and I do believe), it wasn't really the amount of progress that insulted God with the Tower of Babel, it was the mentality had while constructing it, and after.

I mean, hypothetically, that is one of the reasons why he freed the Jews from the Pharoah's yoke, because he saw that civilization choice as erroneous and freed them, which we did ourselves thousands of years later after we erroneously imprisoned them ourselves. So clearly we can correct the mistakes that we make ourselves with regard to the progress of the human race after we have been taught by God.

So lets explore space while believing in God!
>>
>>675985
Erroneously imprisoned blacks, that is.
>>
> implying god of today is same as god of the past
>>
>>675987
He's a newer cooler hipper god who's more in your face.
>>
>>675894
>old testament vs new testament
Bruh unless you legit know nothing about Christianity you are clearly being a cherrypicking faggo. Jesus said you shouldn't test God. People point out inconsistencies between the old and new testaments but fail to realize the connotations of the two. I like to think of the old Testament as The Articles of Confederation and the new testament as The Constitution. The Old Testament mainly serves as "setting up" and providing the history prior to the New Testament, which is where the majority of Catholic Dogma is derived.
>>
>>675987
Interesting notion, but I don't think it works for the Christian God
>>
>>675981
Wew lad don't cut yourself in that edge
Seriously though, the 2 primary tenets of Christianity are 1. Love God and 2. Love other people and treat them as good as you can. And even if you somehow take offense to that, culturally it is difficult to ignore Christianity, it is the basis for a great deal of European culture
>>
>>676027
>And even if you somehow take offense to that
Pretty sure people take offense to all the shit xians do that go against 2 in the name of 1.
>>
>>675996
>The Old Testament mainly serves as "setting up" and providing the history
I thought it was just metaphors and story's that had meanings but didn't really happen.
>>
symbolism

https://youtu.be/dlfvBgBDpm0
>>
File: finnish lady.jpg (137 KB, 690x998) Image search: [Google]
finnish lady.jpg
137 KB, 690x998
>>674824
The tower of Babel was a weapon of the Ancient Finnish Empire which was subjected to a Blitz attack by the Hwan during the closing actions of the Finno-Korean Hyper War.

The weapon - meant to generate fields of autism in a certain area- leaked and generated fields of autism within a thousand kilometer radius, resulting to the combatants becoming terribly asocial and the birth of new languages
>>
>>676092
Finally someone who knows what they're talking about.
>>
>>676068
Kind of. I see them as mainly myths, some with factual basis in reality, but it's difficult to say which is which. Supposedly it was all written down around 700 BC, so it was likely passed down orally for generations. Stuff tends to get pretty fucked up over time. However, Jesus, according to the new testament, did lots of things intentionally to make the old testament prophecies come true
>>
>>676028
Well true Christians don't do that shit
It says in the Bible to love your neighbor, to not kill, and to turn your other cheek if someone wrongs you
The medieval church =/= True Christianity
If you disagree and say because of what happened in the past, people today may be held responsible, you must agree with reparations for descendants of slaves in America, and for all non-native-americans to leave The Americas
>>
>>676133
>Well true Christians don't do that shit
>no true scottyboy

>It says in the Bible to love your neighbor, to not kill, and to turn your other cheek if someone wrongs you
It says a lot of other shit too

>The medieval church =/= True Christianity
Are you a pr*ddie?

>If you disagree and say because of what happened in the past, people today may be held responsible
People today still do stupid shit in the name of Christianity, especially fundies.

>you must agree with reparations for descendants of slaves in America, and for all non-native-americans to leave The Americas
This what xians actually believe
>>
>>676139
>people do dumb things in the name of x, therefore x is bad
No some people are just retarded bro. The identity and nature of adherents to something does not mean that something is false or bad. By that token, if you're a fan of a certain football club, and one of the fans throws a bottle at the rival club, does that mean all the supporters of the club are violent and hateful? Does it mean that the football club itself is bad? If the other team got hurt from the thrown bottle, is it the fault of the sport? After all, this whole incident could have been avoided if football never existed in the first place, therefore I suggest all people stop playing football and attending matches.
But you obviously are hard set in your ways that all religion is a crock of horseshit and all followers of Christianity are brain dead, so I suppose I can't convince you anything because I believe in God and am therefore stupid. Nice circular reasoning senpai
>>
>>675781
>The miracle involved the curing of Ana Maria Rodriguez Casado who was cured at the age of three in 2004 after being in a vegetative state; the girl celebrated her First Communion at the beatification Mass.

Wow. I guess every surgeon/doctor credited with saving a life should be canonized if this is all it takes. I'm sure her prayers and bedside manner is what cured this girl.
>>
>>674834
underrated reply
>>
File: deep contemplation.jpg (67 KB, 282x341) Image search: [Google]
deep contemplation.jpg
67 KB, 282x341
The Tower is a story intended both for plebs and those with more understanding of the narrative.

There is naturally the explanation of the diversity of languages, but there is a deeper current running in it too.

Namely the Tower reprsents humanity's aspiration to progress, to topple God, to establish the City. Urbanisation is associated with the godless men, it is against tradition and for material advancement of mankind.

This is deadly sin in the eyes of God, pragmatically speaking it is against the desire of thens elite, the priest rulers and their princes, as people would turn away from religion, their influence would vane, the material wealth of non-rulers would increase and pose a threat.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.