[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So when and where did Afro-centrism come from? And what was exactly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: caesar.gif (27 KB, 229x473) Image search: [Google]
caesar.gif
27 KB, 229x473
So when and where did Afro-centrism come from? And what was exactly the sort of epiphany that caused the person, or group of people, to legitimately believe that nonsense? What kind of mental gymnastics did they employ?
>>
It's an American thing, don't bother
>>
>>672085
i don't understand why afrocentrism is always negrocentrism

it's as dumb as americentrism not being injuncentrism
>>
Afrocentrism or Afrocentricity is a movement that started in the early 20th century and came to its modern form in the 60's as part of the civil rights movement in America.

It's core is that it believes black contributions to the world have been written out of history to downplay their significance and that black culture was hijacked and replaced by white culture.

Obvious inspirations for this are the views of Malcolm X who felt that African Americans needed to remove themselves completely from the white dominated culture of America and reclaim their own identity and culture.

That said, it's not inherently about historical revisionism. It just sadly seems to happen that way.
>>
It's caused by blacks' sense of inferiority given the low achievements of their ancestors.

My guess that it came about when some blacks found out that Egypt and Carthage are in Africa. Naturally, that must mean they were black.
>>
>>672085
>So when and where did Afro-centrism come from?
America probably

>And what was exactly the sort of epiphany that caused the person, or group of people, to legitimately believe that nonsense?
Politics, same with all conspiracy theories
>>
if you turn on a radio anywhere in the world you will most likely hear a music derived from the blues. Music which is derived from the blues is more prevalent than the english language. We live in an era of african musical supremacy also they are good at sports desu
>>
>>672085
Afrocenterism is basically what happens when you get a large group of people together who have no idea about their cultural heritage or ancestry. When you look at it from the perspective of an African American person, they don't know what country their ancestors came from, what they fought for or believed in, their ancestors were more than likely killed or enslaved, it's a pretty depressing thought that you will never know your family history outside of slavery, and what little you know for certain involved your ancestors being subjugated to someone else. People of European dissent don't exactly have this issue, while it is unlikely that we're direct dissidents from anyone important, we have the ability to trace our family back, to understand our countries history and be proud of what they achieved. IMO, when people don't have this kind of heritage, it doesn't seem too unlikely that they would chose to invent one, so we see the 'Africa was a peaceful and advanced nation of people' theories sprouting up, we also see them coming up with theories that make them think their ansestors were better then their ''''oppressors'''' with the 'The Moors taught Europeans how to bathe' theories.
tl';dr: the after effects of slavery have made afrocenterists wish they mattered more.
>>
This combined with the Nation of Islam (a bizarre black ufo cult).
>>
>>672210
> implying the blues isn't derived from European folk music, esp. Irish
>>
>>672437

WE
>>
>>672437
i am an irishfag and a musician and i can tell you that the blues bears no resemblance to irish traditional music? pls show me a blues in 9/8
>>
>>672481
A lot of blues songs and the general tropes of folk songs were taken from Irish music, a famous example is st. James' infirmary which was based on a folk tune known in different forms throughout Ireland and Britain.

The scales and much of the sound of blues comes from West African music, first directly and later indirectly through calypso. The resemblance between sahelian music and delta blues is uncanny, but people generally don't think of this when they think "African music", all they think of is the vocal choirs more commonly found in Bantu regions or the drumming styles of the west african coast. Because of this the connection between blues and african music is obscured. Really people are just listening to the wrong Africans.

Saying blues is derived from European music isn't really accurate, but there was obviously a cultural exchange between the African and European settlers in the southern US

t. also Irishfag and musician
>>
>>672506

if you put on music radio anywhere in the world you will hear a backbeat, not a jig or a reel m8
>>
>>672506
WE
>>
>>672481
Show me a blues that doesn't use I IV V
>>
>>672720
most blues does not use I IV V and most Irish traditional music isn't supposed to have harmony (that dickhead playing guitar at trad sessions is an american influence)

I could write a blues with 12 different chords or no fixed pitches at all, as long as you are clapping on the two and four it's the blues.
>>
>>672085
The West doesn't value black african history (the reason is not important). But a certain country in the West has a significant black population and it's obsessed with compensating this community for past grievances. The main part of this compensation is to try to allow them to feel equal, so blacks claim western history like they claim jobs or respect. It would not make sense for them to actually claim west african history since it's not theirs.
>>
>>672442
>>672569

It doesn't work with whites, Ndongo
>>
>>672832

>Eire
>white
>>
>>672822
>It would not make sense for them to actually claim west african history since it's not theirs.

The idea of anybody claiming history is kind of ridiculous no?
>>
WE
>>
WUZ
>>
STARVING
>>
File: cocker_spaniel[1].jpg (34 KB, 300x372) Image search: [Google]
cocker_spaniel[1].jpg
34 KB, 300x372
>>672506
>>672481
>There are Americans on /his/ right now who pretend to be Irish on the internet
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.