[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /his/ speak Latin? I've always wanted to learn, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10
File: 1454377819239.jpg (17 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
1454377819239.jpg
17 KB, 337x450
Does /his/ speak Latin?
I've always wanted to learn, but is it worth learning to speak a dead language? How many hours of study am I looking at to be able to speak it half decently?
>>
File: iste plebeius severus est.jpg (38 KB, 461x465) Image search: [Google]
iste plebeius severus est.jpg
38 KB, 461x465
>speak Latin

Legere et scribere possumus, hoc satis esse credo.
>>
>>671967
But I can basically already do that
I want to be able to speak it and think it
>>
>>672058
Nobody knows the pronunciation. Translating Latin is more realistic: I learned it in four years at school.
>>
>>671951
4 semesters of college latin can make you read works at least on a mediocre level.

and learn greek, way more useful unless you specialize in law or western europe during middle ages.
>>
>>672093
>Nobody knows the pronunciation
>what is classical Latin
>>
>>672099
I know nothing about Greek, plebian I know.
Is there any difference between ancient Greek and modern Greek?
>>
>>672107
Yes there is. If you know ancient greek learning modern greek would be easy, but you could save time by just learning modern greek if thats your thing.

Regarding ancient works, one should look at the literature etc before deciing on a language. Latin is great imho but writings of Cicero are not equal to writings of Plato, Seneca is not Aristotle. Virgil is not Homer. Roman elite spoke and many wrote in Greek, even emperors like Julian or Marcus Aurelius. Religion is also dominated by Greek, Bible, most of the early christian commentary etc is in greek.

So it is in my opinion that people should learn Greek first unless they are specifically interested in an area where latin is dominant, like law.
>>
>>671951
I'VE MADE UP MY MIND

TIME IS RUNNING OO-OOOOOUUUUUT
>>
>>671951
Mango languages has a free latin course. It's enough to get your feet wet before you buy a dusty tome and start teaching yourself. You can also find some cheat sheets on amazon for a couple bucks while you still need training wheels.

There is NO substitute for memorization though. You have to do it eventually.
>>
>>672121
I'm just a Romaboo, I have no practical reason for learning the language really.
I just want to get pussy with my linguistic skills.

>>672162
its all in your head
>>
>>672168
>my aesthetic unicode text didnt work

What is this fuckery?
>>
>>672107
>Is there any difference between ancient Greek and modern Greek?

Plenty, but it's actually pretty damned similar with some words.

The aspirated vowels at the beginning of words were dropped. That's one of the few things I know for sure. It generally became simplified. I think iota subscripts were lost.
>>
>>672100
Spotted the non-Latin knowing pleb.
>>
>>672171
It doesn't work on 4chan
>>
>>672187
It does on other boards
>>
>>671951
>私の面つつaestheticじゃありません
SADNESSの森のフラルアー
420じゃない
>>
>>672121
>Virgil is not Homer.
It's many times better
>>
It's all in your hands
>>
File: LEG1m3w.jpg (361 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
LEG1m3w.jpg
361 KB, 1920x1080
>>671951
a e s t h e t i c
>>
>>671951
600 if you're Italian/Spanish
9500 if you're anglo
>>
>>672812
what if slav
>>
my professor knows latin. I should ask if it was worth it.
>>
I plan to learn Latin, but right now I'm focusing on French and German, which have both current and historical application.
>>
So is it seezar, chiezar or kaizar?
>>
>>672093
>Nobody knows the pronunciation
You really have no clue about linguistics, do you?
>>
>>674459
Well, consider the following:

"Kaiser" is the German attempt at transcribing the Latin pronunciation of the word "Caesar"
"Czar" is the Russian attempt at transcribing the Latin pronunciation of the word "Caesar"

"Seezar" or "Chiezar" is the sound that mouth-breathing anglos make when they try to read the Latin word "Caesar" as if it was a English word.

カエサル is the Japanese attempt at transcribing the pronunciation of the Latin word "Caesar"
シイザア is the Japanese attempt at transcribing the way mouth-breathing anglos try to pronounce the Latin word "Caesar"
>>
>>671951
I used to meet once a week with a friend to speak in latin. I was hard at first, but it was really fun.

My advice op: find someone with the same interest as you, because if you are going to try this alone, you will maybe master translation and writing, but no speaking.
>>
>>674571
>I was hard at first, but it was really fun.
hot.
>>
Does fui translate into "I became"? I know ego is "I am" and eram is "I was" but it's hard translating into the perfect tense.
>>
>>671951
A E S T H E T I C
>>
>>675587

> I know ego is "I am" and eram is "I was"

*sum is "I am"

Studying is going hard, bros.
>>
>>674459

kαίσαρ desu
>>
>speak a romance language (preferably spanish or italian)
Just change the spelling and add cases to make Latin.
>don't speak romance language
ur fugged
>>
>>675587
Both fui and eram translate to "I was" in English, which lacks a simple perfect tense.
But, fui can also be translated as "I've been".
>>
>>675842
Fug
>>
>>674571
Did you suck his feminine penis?
>>
>>675838
kaioap?
>>
Timeo redditores et donas ferentes
>>
>>672093
You're an idiot.
Not only is the pronunciation of Latin known, it's even known how it was pronounced differently in various periods.
>>
Im playing minecrfat and have a roman themed town. If I have a big and a small warehouse, would that be the "Horrea maxima", and the "Horrea parva"?
>>
>>671951
You need a hero, someone to rescue you
>>
>>676331
It's greek you fuck
>>
>>672812
What if Portuguese?
>>
Can someone explain this bullshit?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/quis#Latin

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/qui#Latin
>>
I speak only English and I am 21. I am hoping to learn Spanish and French at a bare minimum. What are the best language resources that are not too expensive?
>>
>>678420
Maxima means "the biggest", just big would be "magna".
>>
>>678762
What exactly do you need to know?
>>
File: 1430867820386.jpg (112 KB, 419x536) Image search: [Google]
1430867820386.jpg
112 KB, 419x536
>>678762
Those are relative pronouns, which can be really confusing. They usually refer to "who", "whom" and the like if you are discussing a living thing, or "which" if you are discussing a non-living thing.
>>
When I say I'm in a place, such as in horto or in culina, I'm speaking in the ablative, correct?

I'm still having trouble distinguishing the ablative from the dative.

-t. Latin noob
>>
>>679153
Yeah.

also latin noob here. What are you using to study?

I've been using a combination of latina per se illustrata and wheelock's.
>>
>>679347

Cambridge Latin Course + Wiktionary

I also use Quizzlet for practice because it's a great study tool for anything. After 10 days I've learned 300-500 words and about 3 verb tenses and 3 noun declensions. I can shitpost in the occasional Latin thread and people will understand me although I can't understand them.

I study for 2-5 hours a today but I'm not practicing my pronunciation. My goal is to learn to read and write, and then I'll work on pronunciation by watching videos and listening to e-books.
>>
>>671951
you dont speak latin, genus

You read it

Of all the ancient languages, Latin is the most reddit
>>
File: 1454768857172.jpg (276 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1454768857172.jpg
276 KB, 1920x1080
Where can I find books in latin
>>
>>679365

What kinda books? E-books? New books?

Here's some old Roman Empire shit:

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/

http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/index.html

https://www.gutenberg.org/browse/languages/la
>>
File: Ecce_Romani_Chapter_3.jpg (15 KB, 200x240) Image search: [Google]
Ecce_Romani_Chapter_3.jpg
15 KB, 200x240
>Subitô statua in piscînam cadit. Sextus rîdet. Marcus quoque rîdet, sed Dâvus, “Abîte, molestî!” clâmat et ad piscînam îrâtus currit. Puerî ex hortô currunt. Dâvus gemit.
Why is Sextus such a little shit?
>>
>>679365
www.texkit.com

Full of learnig-friendly Latin and Greek texts.
>>
File: 1.jpg (249 KB, 507x667) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
249 KB, 507x667
>>679390

I was moved and almost teared up for this story
>>
>>679390
Tu quoque merda fueris, si nomen tibi "sex-tus".
>>
>>679409
>www.texkit.com

That just gives me a spam site.
>>
>>671951
veni vidi veni
>>
>>679425
My bad. It is

www.textkit.com
>>
>>679437
Vici heri matrem tuam :^)
>>
>>679417
I am almost done with the second book of this series. I am studing it alone. It kind of sucks that I have been NEETing for almost three months and have literally no money and don't have the third and fourth books. I feel like an impoverished aristocrat. I have such simple needs, would do a job no matter how humble as long as I don't have to speak to too many idiots but I can't one.
>>
semper ubi sub ubi
>>
>>679484

Always wear underwear?
>>
>>672162
M A K E A M O V E
>>
>>674459
Ask Edward Sallow.
>>
>>679580

What classic Latin texts would Ed allow a legionary to read?
>>
>>676342
Non "donas," sed "dona," amice.
>>
>>679041
thank you
>>
>>672382
Fuck off please
>>
>Learning Spanish already
Would I shoot myself in the foot if I started learning Latin? I was taught it in private school but forgot most of it.
>>
I'm learning my tenses right now.

How come third conjugation for active indicative perfect sense is such a load of shit?

>dicit => dixit
>facit => fecit
>ruit => ruit

The first, second, and fourth conjugations were somewhat consistent.
>>
>>675587
fui is perfect
eram is imperfect

so fui is a completed action, whereas eram is something ongoing

fui = "I was (and am no more)"
eram = "I was (and am continuing to be)", or, "I used to be", e.g. "I ran (cucurri) " = perfect, "I was running (currebam)" = imperfect; "I wrote (scripsi) an email" = perfect, "I was writing (scribebam) an email" or "I used to write (scribebam) emails" = imperfect.
>>
>>67195 Latina parlare debent . Legere, scribere et parlare possum. Facile esset, cum Latina parlare possunt
>>
File: 1.jpg (317 KB, 743x942) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
317 KB, 743x942
>get to Stage 7: Cena in the Cambridge Latin Course 4e
>get so spooked by the spooky stories that I forget everything I learned

Ego sum perterritus
>>
>tfw took 4 years of latin and 3 years of ancient greek, but haven't done jack shit in 6 years and forgot it all.

Anyone here felt this feel? What's a good way to relearn and stay motivated?
>>
>>671951
>but is it worth learning to speak a dead language
Yes. Learning languages exercises the mind, and you can now converse with basically every Catholic bishop or above.
>>
>>682377

>tfw all the Catholic bishops I know make jokes about me in Latin
>tfw they whip me with a wet towel whenever I try to relax in the Vatican sauna
>>
>>671967
Futue te ipsum
>>
File: 1.jpg (115 KB, 687x304) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
115 KB, 687x304
>>679390

Post more little shits being little shits
>>
>>682535

>urbi
>et
>orbi
>>
>>682830

That's a painting?
>>
Disco et mox dico
>>
Futui heri matrem tuam :^)
>>
>>685107

"Yesterday I fucked your mother"

Right?
>>
>>685273
YOU FORGOT THE :^) YOURE SHIT AT TRANSLATING 0/10
>>
>>671951
vaporwave is the ayy lmao of music
>>
>>685329

Sorry. It translates to (^:
Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.