[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did scutums have the horisontal handle? The vertical one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: MW_1101062400_1.jpg (205 KB, 799x569) Image search: [Google]
MW_1101062400_1.jpg
205 KB, 799x569
Why did scutums have the horisontal handle?
The vertical one is much better.
>>
you can't hold those shits up for long with vertical
>>
Probably because with a horizontal handle you can fit your whole forearm on it to brace against a hit. If you have a vertical handle youve only got your wrist. Much more liable to break something.
>>
>>670867
I took a dumbbell and tried. Vertical handle is much better.
>>670870
No, you can't.
>>
File: 1423318130695.png (27 KB, 95x104) Image search: [Google]
1423318130695.png
27 KB, 95x104
>>670890
>>670890
>I took a dumbbell and tried. Vertical handle is much better.
Are you the same guy who tied two wooden boards to his back and tried rolling around a la Geralt of Rivia?
>>
>>670932
No, he is your brother.
>>
>>670890
your methodology is probably shit mate
>>
>>670860
Not for that type of shield. Heater shield yes, because they're smaller and more maneuverable. But with the scutum, you just hold it mostly in place to hold the line, which is easier done by having your arm vertical and bracing it against your body.
>>
>>670949
Well that's a shame, I was attempting to make a humorous dialogue.

I could though stick a microphone up your mom's vagina, since the last thing that came out was a joke.
>>
>>670968
Why?
>>
File: The Romanator.jpg (70 KB, 750x593) Image search: [Google]
The Romanator.jpg
70 KB, 750x593
>>670890
What do you mean no?
If youve got a horizontal grip you can brace the shield with your arm and essentially entire left side if you needed to.
pic related, only one I could find of anything even close to watch I was trying to display.
>>
>>670890
>I took a dumbbell and tried. Vertical handle is much better.
Can you hold it like that for hours on end?
>>
>>670983
>Heater shield
Doesn't it have enarmes?
>>
>>671034
They can, yes. My main point was just that they're used in different ways, so they used different handles to be more comfortable/practical.
>>
>>670987
You and your brothes have pervert sence of humor. Looks like you are an autist, it explain everything.
>>
And I found thia video. I think I understand how horizontal grip works now.
https://youtu.be/GIUQAtdz2i8
>>
>>671083
Phone mistypes
>>
A whole lot easier to punch someone with the handle in that configuration, it's like throwing a fist.
>>
Just curious because i don't know the answer but whyy didn't romans adopt the argive grip?
>>
>>671314
Why*
>>
We have like 7 "Question about Romans" threads up right now

We should really just make a Rome general
>>
>>671314
They did during an early period but moved onto center grip shields
>>
>>671314
Again, because it would be harder with a scutum.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.