[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your Country's Mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 40
File: Knot_Salmon.gif (15 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Knot_Salmon.gif
15 KB, 500x500
>Your country
>A small snippet (tale, poem, song etc.) of your country's mythology

I'll start:
>Ireland
>The Salmon of Knowledge

>According to the story, an ordinary salmon ate nine hazelnuts that fell into the Well of Wisdom from nine hazel trees that surrounded the well. By this act, the salmon gained all the world's knowledge. The first person to eat of its flesh would in turn gain this knowledge.

The rest of the story is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmon_of_Knowledge
>>
>>670247
I'll let another country post first but for anyone interested in Irish mythology I'll just let you know

Fiannaíocht>all other cycles
>>
>>670247
>America

>John Henry
Black guy is really good at swinging a hammer. He does it so much that he dies from overexertion.

>Johnny Appleseed
There's a guy who plants apple trees all over the fucking place. He literally cannot stop planting apple trees.

>Paul Bunyan
Guy in Minnesota is really tall and has a pet blue cow. Eats a lot of pancakes.
>>
File: saddam hussein aesthetic.jpg (37 KB, 590x350) Image search: [Google]
saddam hussein aesthetic.jpg
37 KB, 590x350
>>670247
>USA
>Zimmerman Letter
>D-Day was the deciding factor of WW2
>Iraq War was justified
>Gadaffi was a dictator
>>
File: Ys.jpg (422 KB, 1344x950) Image search: [Google]
Ys.jpg
422 KB, 1344x950
>France
>Ys

>Ys was built below sea level by Gradlon, King of Cornouaille, upon the request of his daughter Dahut, who loved the sea. To protect Ys from inundation, a dike was built with a gate that was opened for ships during low tide. The one key that opened the gate was held by the king.

>Ys was the most beautiful and impressive city in Europe, but quickly became a city of sin under the influence of Dahut. She organized orgies and had the habit of killing her lovers when morning broke. Saint Winwaloe decried the corruption of Ys and warned of God's wrath and punishment, but was ignored by Dahut and the populace.

>One day, a knight dressed in red came to Ys. Dahut asked him to come with her, and one night, he agreed. A storm broke out in the middle of the night and the waves could be heard smashing against the gate and the bronze walls. Dahut said to the knight: "Let the storm rage. The gates of the city are strong, and it is King Gradlon, my father, who owns the only key, attached to his neck." The knight replied: "Your father the king sleeps. You can now easily take his key." Dahut stole the key from her father and gave it to the knight, who was none other than the devil. The devil then opened the gate.

>Because the gate was open during storm and at high tide, a wave as high as a mountain collapsed on Ys. King Gradlon and his daughter climbed on Morvarc'h, his magical horse. Saint Winwaloe approached them and told Gradlon: "Push back the demon sitting behind you!" Gradlon initially refused, but he finally gave in and pushed his daughter into the sea. The sea swallowed Dahut, who became a mermaid.

And my favorite part:

>A legend says that when Paris is swallowed, the city of Ys will rise up from under the waves: Pa vo beuzet Paris, Ec'h adsavo Ker Is (Par-Is meaning "similar to Ys" in Breton).
>>
File: 1389734826970.jpg (77 KB, 471x469) Image search: [Google]
1389734826970.jpg
77 KB, 471x469
>America
>the holocaust happened
>>
>>670274
But that's a breton myth anon.
>>
>>670287
Bretagne is a part of France.
>>
>>670295
Does France have it's own culture or does it steal everything from Brittany?
>>
>>670314
Where precisely do you think Brittany is?
>>
>>670270
t. Iraqi refugee in Germany
>>
>>670319
Northwestern Europe.

Trolling aside I'm actually curious if there is any actual French mythology, I mean real langues d'oil French, I was joking before and I don't really care about Breton politics.

All I can think of is Renard the fox and he's kind of all over Europe.
>>
Cool thread.. don't ruin it with /pol/ excrements.
>>
>>670329
the tarrasque and beast of Gevaudan?
>>
>America
>Jesus preached the gospel in pre-Columbian America
>>
>>670319
She is usually at home now.
>>
>>670261
Michigan has the dogman. He spooks lumberjacks.
>>
>Norway

Okay, since everybody knows what's about to follow when Scandinavian mythology is mentioned. I thought I'd add a little mythology to this thread which isn't centred around le vikings maymay.

>Mare

>A mare is an evil spirit or goblin in Germanic folklore which rides on people's chests while they sleep, bringing on bad dreams.

>King Vanlandi Sveigðisson of Uppsala lost his life to a nightmare (mara) conjured by the Finnish sorceress Hulda, hired by the king's abandoned wife Drífa. The king had broken his promise to return within three years, and after ten years had elapsed the wife engaged the sorceress to either lure the king back to her, or failing that, to assassinate him. Vanlandi had scarcely gone to sleep when he complained that the nightmare "rode him;" when the men held the king's head the it "trod on his legs" on the point of breaking, and when the retinue then "seized his feet" the creature fatally "pressed down on his head."

I believe this myth is the etymological origin of the word 'nightmare' in English. We also have this word in Norwegian: mareritt (literally Mare-ride).
>>
1. Puerto Rico
2. Chupacabras

It was said that it was either an humanoid ayyliem that had three teeths or a dog with the same features. Most stories point it out to be a US military experiment. It does not really have a lot of exposure as other stories, apart from the orally tradition, but it is kind of fun that the myth is so popular people started seeing it in South, Central and North America, specially around New Mexico and Texas, even to reach China, Russia and the Philippines
>>
Mormonism provided the USA with an Aeneid "WE WUZ TROJANS"-tier epic / origin myth. Apart from scattered urban legends and glorified history, it's probably the only real piece of mythology that is distinctly American (in the US, rather than native, sense) and widely believed. There's some early colonial stuff, too, but that's usually pretty localized and obscure. Semi-mythical stories like Pocahontas, Blackbeard, or the Salem Trials might count as well, but they seem to be too far on the side of history to be considered mythology.

Then there's more "cultural conscience" stuff like Roswell, Bigfoot, the Revolutionary War, or O.K. Corral that are treated with the same sort of cultural elevation that mythology usually gets.
>>
File: 1454824319023.png (195 KB, 1045x209) Image search: [Google]
1454824319023.png
195 KB, 1045x209
>>670247
>The skunk ape, also known as the swamp cabbage man, swamp ape, stink ape, Florida Bigfoot, myakka ape, swampsquatch, and myakka skunk ape, is a hominid cryptid said to inhabit the U.S. states of Florida, North Carolina, and Arkansas, although reports from Florida are more common.
>Reports of the skunk ape were particularly common in the 1960s and 1970s. In 1974, sightings of a large, foul-smelling, hairy, ape-like creature, which ran upright on two legs were reported in suburban neighborhoods of Dade County, Florida.
US mythology is bonkers and hardly gets brought up
>>
>>670247
Habbad ina Kamas was a legendary cruel giant who ruled half of ancient Somalia. Habbad oppressive rule was the complete opposite to the kindness and care that was bestowed upon the other half of the land ruled by the giant Biriir ina Barqo. He was eventually defeated and slain in battle by Biriir, when the latter found out about Habbad's tyranny.

>Birrir ina Barqo
(Giant)

Biriir ina Barqo was a legendary heroic giant in ancient Somalia known for his just rule and kindness. He lived in a cave called Shimbiraale (the cave of birds) and used to wear a heavy ring that no man could lift. He answered the pleas of those suffering under the rule of the giant called Habbad and defeated him in battle. He then united the two lands and ushered in a long period of peace.[3]

>Qori ismaris ("One who rubs himself with a stick")
Qori ismaris was a man who could transform himself into a "Hyena-man" by rubbing himself with a magic stick at nightfall and by repeating this process could return to his human state before dawn.

>Dhegdheer ('"One with long ears")

Dhegdheer was a female cannibalistic demon who hunted in Somali forests. Her victims were usually wandering or lost children. Very similar to the cannibalistic witch living deep in the forest in the German folktale Hansel and Gretel.
>>
>>670578
noice
>>
>>670340
>and beast of Gevaudan?

Does that really count as mythology since it actually happened?
>>
Stories of Maui from Aotearoa/New Zealand

>Maui slows the Sun
Maui gets angry at the sun for moving too fast across the sky, meaning no-one can get any work done because the days are too short. With his brothers, he makes ropes of flax and travels east to the pit where the sun rises, hiding under trees so the sun cannot see him. Once they reach the pit they make a noose with their ropes and hide at the edges of the pit while the sun is still sleeping. Once the sun wakes up and gets trapped, Maui hits him with his ancestor's jawbone and makes him promise to travel slowly across the sky in future.

>Maui and the giant fish
Maui stows away in his brothers' canoe because they won't let him go fishing. Once at sea, he reveals himself to his surprised brothers and recites a karakia (incantation), giving them a huge catch of fish. Maui takes out his own line, using his ancestor's jawbone as a hook, to the amusement of his brothers. None of the brothers will give him bait so Maui uses blood from his own nose to coat the hook and sends it into the sea as he recites a karakia. He pulls an enormous fish to the surface and returns home to tell the people, leaving his brothers to guard the fish. After he leaves, the brothers begin to hack greedily at the fish, which exists to this day as the North Island, with valleys and plains where the brothers carved the fish. Maui's canoe is the South Island, with Stewart Island as the anchor.
>>
>>670906
>Maui steals fire
Curious to find where fire comes from, Maui extinguishes all the cooking fires and travels to the mountain where his ancestor the goddess Mahuika lives. He asks her for fire and she gives him one of her burning fingernails. On his way back home he throws the fingernail in a stream and returns to the mountain. Telling Mahuika he lost the fingernail, she gives him another one. Maui discards this one too and returns to ask for another. This continues until, furious at Maui's tricks, Mahuika throws one of her toenails to the ground, setting everything on fire. Maui changes himself into a hawk to escape, but the flames so high that he is forced to seek safety in a river. The river starts to boil from the heat of the flames, so Maui prays to his ancestor Tāwhirimātea the weather god for help. Tāwhirimātea sends a huge rainstorm to put out the flames, extinguishing Mahuika's mountain. In anger, she throws her last toenail at Maui and misses. The toenail lands in the trees which are now used for kindling. Once Maui returns to his village, he demonstrates how to use wood from these trees to start fires.
>>
File: 1861_church2.jpg (193 KB, 703x458) Image search: [Google]
1861_church2.jpg
193 KB, 703x458
>>670247
>America
John Henry
Unstoppable man of remarkable strength with a will to move mountains when faced with Freedom or chains.
He is the American spirit of unrelenting freedom, no matter what, the hammer of Henry is the might of America.

>Johnny Appleseed
Literally can not stop planting apple orchards.
John was nice guy, not rough and tough like them o'l pioneers. But John never gave up, good Johnny used his gentleness and kindness to befriend the creatures of the woodland and lived a solitary life moving forever westward plantin' apple trees as he went. The Lords been good to Johnny.
Johnny's story is a testament to the American spirit of pioneering. NO matter who or what you are or do, no matter your occupation, you can be a trailblazer. young Johnny Appleseed lives on in heaven watching over the golden orchards and making sure the apples are always in season.

>Paul Bunyan
Paul was big guy, for everyone.
Paul was a lumberjack and stood about 50 ft tall and had a blue ox named Babe, its been said that when Paul and Babe wrestled they made the great lakes and the Rocky mountains.
Paul eventually lost a contest to the chainsaw, but never gave in, and Paul never ran out of juice.
Paul shows us the truth about the American Man, we are powerful beings and no matter what we are master over technology, though technology can get the better of us in some ways we will always come out on top over the machine.
Kindness and goodwill shall always be prevalent over greed and unabashed self interest in every Americans heart.

>Casey Jones
A train engineer who was always one time (his is the most true of all the stories).
Casey took a delivery and never missed a date, arriving always right, on, time.
No mountain to high no valley to low no sea to wide. Floods, Banditos, Herds of Cattle, nothing could prevent Casey from getting there on time.
Casey's work ethic captures the heart of the American laborer, get a job do it well and on time, no if's and's or but's.
>>
bump for interest
>>
File: Sea_Bishop_0.jpg (150 KB, 408x600) Image search: [Google]
Sea_Bishop_0.jpg
150 KB, 408x600
>>670247
Sea Bishop, our own national original creauture/monster/cryptid/how you see it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_bishop
>The sea bishop was a type of sea monster reported in the 16th century. According to legend, it was taken to the King of Poland, who wished to keep it. It was also shown to a group of Catholic bishops, to whom the bishop-fish gestured, appealing to be released. They granted its wish, at which point it made the sign of the cross and disappeared into the sea.

>Another was supposedly captured in the ocean near Germany in 1531. It refused to eat and died after three days. It was described and pictured in the fourth volume of Conrad Gesner's famous Historiae animalium.

It's not the whole story, like. He was said to have elaborate theological discussion with current king (I think Jagellon)? I've read about it first on the cryptozoological website, in the film "They caught an UFOman and ate it" someone commented with that name. The thing was a type of Jenny Haniver, other similar creature was Scandinavian Sea Monk.

For people interested... https://web.archive.org/web/20071017144440if_/http://kryptozoologia.w.interia.pl/nowe/mnichmorski.htm and elaborate description in my language I've read first about it.

We also had other national monsters... Like Raróg, the Wawel Dragon or "Basilisk" (Cockatrice), but they were just regional version of existing ones in nearby countries. Well Raróg arguably most original, but still just a West Slavic Firebird.
>>
File: slavic facepalm.jpg (15 KB, 410x230) Image search: [Google]
slavic facepalm.jpg
15 KB, 410x230
>>671910
*an elaborate
>>
File: cr10.gif (13 KB, 99x130) Image search: [Google]
cr10.gif
13 KB, 99x130
>>671910
>>671915
Also, I'd be interested if someone would redpill me more on this certain thing I recall

I remember reading in Slavic mythology (at least our version), draconid creatures were seen in quite dualistic manner.
So, Dragons - We call Smoki were the "evil" ones, whereas Zmeys/Wyrms we call Żmije (masculine form, not Żmija - as a Viper) were the "good" ones.

I know Russians calls dragons "Drakony" and generally don't have any form of a native name for them, I'm not sure if they're even seen as different beings than Zmeys. The titular and most recognisable Gorynych was an evil being, not different from our descriptions of the Wawel Dragon.
>>
File: CHECKEM.jpg (53 KB, 246x318) Image search: [Google]
CHECKEM.jpg
53 KB, 246x318
>>670247
>>
File: draugen.jpg (34 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
draugen.jpg
34 KB, 500x376
>Norway

The Draugr
Drowned sailors never buried in Christian soil, who in their anger drag people with them into the depths. Clad in fucale, and sailing in half a boat, they trick sailors by appearing to be in distress.

>It was Christmas Eve, and the fisherman's son was heading down to the boat house to get the barrel with liqour when he saw the Draugr sitting on the barrel, and gazing at the sea. The boy was known for his bravery, ontop of recently having been drinking. He took a sharp stick he's been using to hunt flatfish with, and poked the Draugr in the back, scaring him into the sea. The revenant soon turned on the boy however, and pursued him with murderous intentions. The boy ran for his life up the hill, to the cemetery, with the phantom breathing down his neck. With the Draugr catching up, the boy resorted to calling the Christian spirits resting underground to battle the monster.
The boy got away from the Draugr that night, but when he returned to the cemetery with the villagers, all the coffins were broken, and the chapel was covered in seaweed. The resting spirits had won, and the Draugr never returned to the village.
>>
File: Parkln.jpg (68 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
Parkln.jpg
68 KB, 600x400
>>670247
>Slovenia

>Parkeljni
Basic Alpine mythological figures. Parkeljni (singular: parkelj) are furry monsters that follow Saint Nicholas (who we call Miklavž) and punish bad children. They carry around long chains and make bad children pray.

And now the real life part: on every December 5, the village folk (usually younger men) dress in their parkelj costumes, scare people and walk from house to house, which often ends in them being completely wasted as every household gives them something to drink.
>>
File: 1446633104631.jpg (133 KB, 720x718) Image search: [Google]
1446633104631.jpg
133 KB, 720x718
>>671910
>a polish website on crypzoology
I mean no offense but this is awesome.
>>
File: Monument_barbarossa.jpg (477 KB, 942x850) Image search: [Google]
Monument_barbarossa.jpg
477 KB, 942x850
Not sure if this county as mythology.
>Germany
>If the Germans are reunited Barbarossa will come back to life and rule them
>>
>>671941
Since you're Norwegian and know norse mythology could you tell me if Jotunn were actually giant? I mean Loki had a giantess wife and I imagine she was in similar size to him since they fucked but on the other hand there is one myth where Thor thought he is in a hall but it was just giant's gauntlet. So how large were they?
>>
File: 800px-Troll_woman[1].gif (639 KB, 800x1085) Image search: [Google]
800px-Troll_woman[1].gif
639 KB, 800x1085
> Sweden
> Skogsrå

A hollow semen demon who will take your soul if you sleep with her. If she blows your gun it will never miss. She may look like the worlds most beautiful girl from the front but she has a tail and have a back that look like if someone carved out space in a stub.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/Troll_woman.gif/800px-Troll_woman.gif
>>
>>672291
>Skogsrå
Are there any Scandinavian monsters that are not metal band names too?
>>
Brazilianon here.
Native Brazilian mythology is like a great mixture of the Jewish and traditional Greco-Roman religions.

There is this guy, called Tupã (pronnounced: too-pan) who married a qt 3.14 and they were quite the happy couple.

They created Earth, had children - some of them would become lesser Gods in the religion - and created humans out of a lot of things, like trees, mud, animal blood, etc.

Eventually, when everything was setted, they flied back to heaven and gave humans the mission to live in harmony and take care of nature. Tupã is of a Zeus-like character, he fucked a lot of bitches and had the power to throw thunders arround. The teachings of native religion, as said, also are close to jewish.
>>
File: perun.jpg (67 KB, 450x674) Image search: [Google]
perun.jpg
67 KB, 450x674
>Poland

Perun the god of thunder who is most likely inspired by Thor as his axe always returns to his hand just like Mjolnir and he also his chariot is also pulled by goats he is opposed to Veles god of magic and trickery (also wealth, harvest and music as he is not an evil god per se)
>>
Israel
>Sons of Dan

>According to the Book of Revelation (7:4–8), along with the Ephraim, the tribe of Dan is one of the only original tribes of Israel which is not included in the list of tribes which are sealed. No mention is made of why they are excluded. It has been suggested that this could be because of their pagan practices.[20] This made Hippolytus of Rome and a few Millennialists propose that the Antichrist will come from the tribe of Dan.[21][22]
>Charles Upton relates the serpent voodoo God Danbhala as derived in part from a heterodox form of Ethiopian Judaism.[19]
>>
File: Kral Matjaž.jpg (155 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
Kral Matjaž.jpg
155 KB, 800x1067
>>672260
A similar legend from Slovenia is the legend of Kralj Matjaž (King Matthias). The most common theory is that Matjaž based on the Hungarian king Matthias Corvinus.
As the legend says, Matjaž hid with his army in a mountain called Peca in Carinthia and fell asleep on his throne, his head resting on a stone table. It is said that when his beard makes it around the table nine times, Matjaž and his army will wake up and he will once again rule over the lands.
>>
File: Perun.jpg (437 KB, 691x1059) Image search: [Google]
Perun.jpg
437 KB, 691x1059
>>672304
Perun isn't based on Thor, they developed seperately from a common god of the Pre-Indo-Europeans.
>>
>>672311
LEL it is the fucking same thing like Barbarossa. The beard, the falling asleep etc.
Is there something in it about crow spies controlled by the king? It is quite obvious those crows are god-sent creatures from Germanic mythology co-opted in a medieval myth btw.
>>
>>672294
Skogsrå could also mean wood-raw
or raw wood I suppose
Skog - Forest/wood
Rå - Means either giving advice or "raw"
>>
Denmark.
According to the danish version of the norse mythology, Jutland was Midgard, Zealand was Asgard, Sweden Vanaheim and Norway Jotunheim.
I'm curious if it's the other way around in the swedish and norweigan versions.
>>
>>672260
That legend was originally about Frederick II if I recall correctly
>>
>baltic sea
>Vineta an Atlanis-like lost ciry
>About 965, Ibrahim ibn Jaqub wrote in Arabic letters about this city, the transcription might be Weltaba, which corresponds to modern Polish "Wełtawa" meaning roughly a place among waves.
>>
>>672278
In some of the stories about Utgardsloke, it's mentioned that he and many jotuns could practice sejd magic and change their sizes.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 640x360
I'm not personally from there but my grandparents are so fuck it

>Philippines

>The Bakunawa
There's a bunch of variations, but it boils down to
>Filipinos chilling in huts
>Big fucking sea serpent dragon bursts out of the sea and swallows the moon
>the fucking moon
>the Filipinos want the moon back because they need it for reasons, so they get/are given a great idea
>bang some pots and pans
>they do
>bakunawa gets spooked, spits out the moon and flies away

So every time there's a new moon, thank the Filipinos for getting the moon back.

I especially like the variation where the bakunawa has a sister that is a sea turtle. The sea turtle sister comes ashore to lay eggs, and the islanders look at this and notice that the tide is also coming in. They note that each time she comes back to lay eggs, the water comes up. Obviously, the turtle is making the water rise, so if they let the turtle come back too many times, their little island will be under water, right? So they do the obvious thing and just kill the turtle outright. Bakunawa is fucking pissed, so he starts swallowing the seven moons that earth apparently used to have. He gets to the last one, and after he swallows it, the Filipinos pray to some god asking for help. The god chases bakunawa off/has the islanders use pots and pans, and the day is safe once more.
>>
>>672353
>city
>>
>>672351
Well it is sort of hard to tell since for many kings that died pretenders appeared. Most of them for Frederick II. Those pretenders are linked to the myth.
>>
The Menehune are weird little munchkin people that supposedly constructed quite a bit of prehistory sites and loved bananas.
http://www.bishopmuseum.org/research/nwhi/neckii.html
>>
>>672318
No, nothing about crows. We don't have any mythological crows, methinks.

Oh yeah, another mythological thing. Divja jaga - The Wild Hunt. This is apparently another Alpine thing. It's basically a scary bunch of souls that roam the woods and make a lot of sound - animal, human and monster voices. Anyone who hears them has to jump to the ground (the right side of the path) or on a tree stump with a cross engraving. Those who don't get cursed by the Wild Hunt; they become ill, feel horrible pain or go mad.
>>
>>672462
>this is apparently another Alpine thing
Yepp, we have that in Germany too.
>>
File: 250px-Claude_Levi-Strauss.jpg (23 KB, 250x193) Image search: [Google]
250px-Claude_Levi-Strauss.jpg
23 KB, 250x193
>>672371
>The sea turtle sister comes ashore to lay eggs, and the islanders look at this and notice that the tide is also coming in. They note that each time she comes back to lay eggs, the water comes up. Obviously, the turtle is making the water rise, so if they let the turtle come back too many times, their little island will be under water, right? So they do the obvious thing and just kill the turtle outright. Bakunawa is fucking pissed, so he starts swallowing the seven moons that earth apparently used to have. He gets to the last one, and after he swallows it, the Filipinos pray to some god asking for help. The god chases bakunawa off/has the islanders use pots and pans, and the day is safe once more.
>moon
>eggs
>sister
>rising tides
This sounds like it is about sex and the first period bra.
>>
Once , a long time ago in the Dream Time there was a greedy frog called Tiddalick.

Tiddalick wanted to be the biggest frog in all the land.

One very hot day Tiddalick was very thirsty so he began to drink and drink and drink until the whole billabong was all dried up. When all the other animals came to the billabong to drink there was no water. They knew it was the greedy frog who drank all the water.They were very angry at him. If the animals wanted to get all the water out of Tiddalick and back into the billabong they would have to make Tiddalick laugh until all the water came out.

The echidna tried to make him laugh by rolling down the hill into the dried up billabong but Tiddalick didn't laugh. Kookabura was perched high in the gum tree, he pretended to fall out butTiddalickstill didn't laugh. Wombat started dancing butTiddalickstill didn't laugh. None of the animals knew what to and they were still very thirsty. When theeel was dancing he tied himself into a big knot,Tiddalickcould not stop laughing at the eel. He laughed so much that all the water came out and ran back into the billabong. From that day onTiddalickwas never that greedy and only drank what he needed.
>>
>>672311
There is the same legend about knights sleeping inside the mountain Blanik. Led by St. Wenceslas they will rise and save Bohemia in the time of the greatest danger.
>>
>>673095
>Wenceslas

Vaclav
>>
>>674231
>>674231
no
>>
File: tangkuban perahu.jpg (186 KB, 660x360) Image search: [Google]
tangkuban perahu.jpg
186 KB, 660x360
Indonesia
Tangkuban Perahu (upside down boat)

A son is forced to kill his dad who is a cool doge, and unknowingly fell in love with his mom. The guy made a big ass dam and also a big nice boat, then drown himself with his lover mom.
>>
>>672308
Weird, I wonder if they became Mormons.
>>
>>670717
> Implying it happenened
Hey guy, are we talking about this medieval Big Foot ?
>>
>>670247
New Jersey.

The Jersey Devil: a bloodsucking monster that prowls the state's vast pine barrens at night. It is shaped like a gaunt, winged kangaroo with the head of a goat and bloodshot red eyes, cloven hooves, many sharp claws, and a forked tail. Its cry sounds like a blood-curdling human scream.

It mostly killed livestock, but with the decline of agriculture in New Jersey its favorite prey has become hikers and campers wandering alone in its habitat by night.
>>
File: tmp_23251-images-2057259690.jpg (7 KB, 192x262) Image search: [Google]
tmp_23251-images-2057259690.jpg
7 KB, 192x262
Northeast Clapistan

The Wemegetauni are the old Native spirits of the woodland, little ayy lmao-looking amphibian people who rarely take physical form to either mischievously trick humans or actually help them find their way out of forests if they're lost. If you see one by accident when they didn't want you to, they owe you one wish.
>>
>>676564
>people
>1764-1767
>medieval
>>
Dover Demon?
>>
>>676641
what if I wish to see him more often and just stack wishes?
>>
File: Huldra-Theodor_Kittelsen.jpg (52 KB, 400x252) Image search: [Google]
Huldra-Theodor_Kittelsen.jpg
52 KB, 400x252
>>672278
It varies. Sometimes the jotuns are giants, sometimes they are not. Some people supposedly fucked these and had kids with them.

Pic. not related. It's a hulder
>>
Sweden

The earth is made from the corpse of a giant named Ymir and the oceans are his blood.
>>
File: Jean Chastel Rifle.jpg (233 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Jean Chastel Rifle.jpg
233 KB, 768x1024
>>670717
>>676564
It happened but there still a lot of myths/theories around it.
But of course it was probably just a big wolf.

>>670274
>A legend says that when Paris is swallowed, the city of Ys will rise up from under the waves: Pa vo beuzet Paris, Ec'h adsavo Ker Is (Par-Is meaning "similar to Ys" in Breton).

And meanwhile, Paris motto.
>Fluctuat nec mergitur - "Tossed but not sunk".

Interesting coincidence.
>>
File: QT4H77w.jpg (25 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
QT4H77w.jpg
25 KB, 312x445
>>670981
You guys are fucking schizophrenic. Making up whole heroes and all to idealise your people and country.
>america
>mythology
>>
china here

I'm a sucker for grand names and mythical monsters so here's four animal spirit constellations

Meng Zhang, the Azure Dragon of the East represents the Chinese elemental of Wood and the season of Spring. He protects the Eastern cities as far as Kyoto, as a collective reincarnation of heroic generals.

Ling Guang, the Vermillion Bird of the South represents the elemental of Fire and the season of Summer. It represents pride and aesthetics, characterized by extremely selective tastes and a noble bearing.

Jian Bing, the White Tiger of the West represents Metal and the Autumn season. Known as the King of Beasts that guards the gateway to the West, it is a symbol of peace that would only ever appear if the Emperor at the time ruled with absolute virtue.

Zhi Ming, the Black Turtle of the North represents Water and the season of Spring. It's unique to the spirits in the way that it is depicted as an intertwined turtle and snake, so some find it more appropriate to call it the Black Warrior. There is a parallel legend to this that there was once a Prince of the North that achieved divinity, replacing his stomach and intestines with divine organs. His rejected organs became demons, and after being subdued by the now-divine asshole prince that left them there in the first place, they trained under him to atone for their sin. They would be known as the Turtle and Snake Generals
>>
Pecos Bill
> Born in Texas, family decides to move west
> Falls out of wagon near Pecos river, raised by a pack of coyotes.
> uses a snake as a lasso, and a another snake as a whip
> Once lassoed a twister and defeated the bear lake monster
> dynamite was his favorite food
> Rode a horse named Widow Maker that no other man could ride alive
American old west stories are so cash.
>>
>>670981
beautifully written
>>
>>670364
Wisconsin has a big werewolf problem too.
>>
>>670578
>rubs his stick and turns into a wild animal
I do the same thing. But seriously, I'm interested to know if these myths are pre-Islamic.
>>
>>678867
they are
>>
>>670261
>Johnny Appleseed

Oh but he was very real, and his story isn't far from the legend at all.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed
>>
The mighty Wendigo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendigo

Basically the American Indian version of John Carpenter's The Thing.

I've read dozens of stories on /k/ from people who swear on their life they've encountered one. I'd still leave it in the realm of scientific implausibility, but I'm also sure this is the last beastie I'd want stalking the woods.
>>
>>670247
>No country (Rom)

>D'Brigaki djilia
>Literally "The Sorrow Song". An immense traditional poem about the first Rom, Djaska, with roots in the historic banishment of the Dom people from northern India.

>He had no land to call his own
>So he called the dirt under his feet his for the time
>He had no home to call his own
>So wherever he slept was his for the time
>He had no family to call his own
>So whoever he broke bread with was his for the time
>>
File: Mechev-Joukahainen-1.jpg (105 KB, 550x718) Image search: [Google]
Mechev-Joukahainen-1.jpg
105 KB, 550x718
>Finland & Karelia

Väinämöinen was born alone at night and already at day he made the first forge and forged the first horse, the stallion of iron. Then he went for a ride over the waves the primordial ocean.

But the envious Lapplander was already there, waiting for Väinämöinen, looking to shoot him down. His mother tried to calm him down - Väinämöinen was their relative after all - but he didn't listen to her pleas. So, when Väinämäinen rode next to Lapplander, from his hide he shot Väinämöinen's horse with his bow of fire and the sage fell into the waves.

Väinämöinen swam in the waters for years. An eagle came from the north looking for a place for her nest and when Väinämöinen saw the bird, he rose his knee up for her. The eagle laid her eggs on Väinömöinen's knee and started to hatch them. But eventually the warmth started to burn the sage and he moved his leg, causing the eggs fell off, and they were broken into many piece, thus forming the sun, the moon and the stars. And that's how the world was born.
>>
File: real_flag_of_romania.png (25 KB, 550x367) Image search: [Google]
real_flag_of_romania.png
25 KB, 550x367
>>680960
>No country (Rom)

Well, what about Romania?
>>
>>681055
...Has nothing to do with the Romani, anymore than Rome.
>>
>>672291
>If she blows your gun it will never miss

Is that a euphemism?
>>
>>680960
Are you actually Rom or just an American with 1/56th heritage?

Do you still travel?
>>
>>681084
Family came here in WWII, and hooked up with more Romani circus folk. I come from circus family, and have spent most of my life traveling and performing, but I only went on Kompania once visiting family in Italy.

I am suitably Rom enough that the government expects me to check the "other" box, and I still have family who speak almost no English.
>>
>>681108
>actual circus gypsy
Huh. Neat. I can accept that.
>>
File: image.gif (14 KB, 168x285) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
14 KB, 168x285
>>670247
>>670247
>>670247
New Jersey, USA

The Jersey Devil

Spawn of Satan born to a family in the Pine Barrens (lowland bogs in southern NJ). Does monster shit. Roams the Pine Barrens to this dsy.
>>
>>673095
Sounds like inspiration for Tolkien's Army of the Dead in The Lord of the Rings. Of course, they are cursed for abandoning their kingdom rather than standing by to protect the land witha saint.
>>
>>676604
>>681468

Fug
>>
>>681108
What was the circus life like?
>>
Here in Sweden, there's the myth of Näcken.
He's as well known as Trolls, and sits in creaks or even rivers, on a stone, playing music on his violin. He's exceedingly beautiful and butt naked except for some flowers in his hair, and people who hear his music can become entranced. Näcken can either bang them or drown them, depending on their gender. Or both.

In some way he's the devil, as some musicians have sold their soul to be able to play as well as Näcken, but usually with disastrous consequences. I know of at least one story when a violinist accidentally drowned himself and the entire neighbourhood through playing Näckens' tune, making them all run into the river.
>>
>>680878
How well preserved is Somalias pre-Islamic mythology?
>>
In turkish folklore there is the karabasan which is a small dark hairy creauture which sits on the chest of sleeping people which don't ritually wash themselves when they have done dirty things like sex.
>>
File: nedkelly1.jpg (118 KB, 570x368) Image search: [Google]
nedkelly1.jpg
118 KB, 570x368
>Ned Kelly, an Australian descendant of King Arthur who forged a primitive suit of armor from iron ploughs alloyed with the mail of Sir Gawain
>Had whacky adventures with his aboriginal companion, Ernie Dingo, who had a magic boomerang that could fly around the entire world and chop enemies in half
>Mortally wounded in his standoff with the rainbow serpent, a giant snake with whose breath was made out of spiders
>His bastard child, Mordro, was eaten by a wombat before he could avenge his father's death
>Vaguely inspired the Mad Max movies
>>
>Greece
>Oedipus
>Dude killed his dad, and fucked his mom
But you already know that shit /his/
>>
>>682060
why the fuck you lyin
>>
>>681973
So... Turks...
>>
File: image.jpg (77 KB, 606x490) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77 KB, 606x490
>>681973
Origins in sleep paralysis, probably. Fairly common.
>>
>>681973
>turks sit on each others chests at night when they don't wash themselves (literally every single night)
>>
>>681866
Interesting. I spent my summers and springs on tour, and school the rest of the year. Dad was navy, so even when we were not touring with the family, we were moving. My mom got out decades ago, and I stopped touring professionally about 5 years ago.

Its a dying industry, with aging performers to be frank. I still do the occasional burlesque/vaudeville show.

I work in museums now.
>>
File: aarnivalkea_.jpg (45 KB, 858x480) Image search: [Google]
aarnivalkea_.jpg
45 KB, 858x480
Finland is full of stories of Lapps living in the land before the Finnish settlers came. Sometimes they buried their treasures underground before moving away. On nightime, if the weather and the moment is right, a traveller can see an eerie flame burning in the wilderness. That is the elf guarding the treasure burning rust out of the riches. But obtaining the treasure is not easy - usually a Lapp wizard had put some protecting spell upon it.
>>
>>670247
>Korea
>Birth of our first king

>A tiger and a bear prayed to Hwanung that they might become human. Upon hearing their prayers, Hwanung gave them 20 cloves of garlic and a bundle of mugwort, ordering them to eat only this sacred food and remain out of the sunlight for 100 days. The tiger gave up after about twenty days and left the cave. However, the bear persevered and was transformed into a woman. The bear and the tiger are said to represent two tribes that sought the favor of the heavenly prince.

>The bear-woman (Ungnyeo; 웅녀/熊女) was grateful and made offerings to Hwanung. However, she lacked a husband, and soon became sad and prayed beneath a "divine birch" tree (Hangul: 신단수; hanja: 神檀樹; RR: shindansu) to be blessed with a child. Hwanung, moved by her prayers, took her for his wife and soon she gave birth to a son named Dangun Wanggeom.
>>
>>682439
>that image

Well i'm not sleeping tonight.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3051x982) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3051x982
>>682882
>THAT Goya freaks you out
Look out pal
>>
>>678528
Would waifu.
>>
>>682916
>Goya
That's a Fuseli, you pleb.
>>
>>678639

Johnny Appleseed and Casey Jones were definitely real people.

John Henry may have been based on a real person, and there's several historical people who could've inspired his legend. Paul Bunyan was just a hyperbolized archetype that featured in tall tales made up by Loggers and passed down to children.
>>
Michigan has the dogman/men. In the 90's a radio dj made a pretty chill song called The Legend which gives summaries of all the sightings since the 1880's.

>>676641
They seem like pretty cool guys.
>>
>>670247
>USA
>Pamola

>Specifically, according to the Penobscot tribal nation,[1] Pamola inhabited Katahdin, the tallest mountain in Maine. Pamola is said to be the god of Thunder and protector of the mountain. The Penobscot people describe him as having the head of a moose, the body of a man and the wings and feet of an eagle. Pamola was both feared and respected by the Penobscot nation, and his presence was one of the main reasons that climbing the mountain was considered taboo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamola
>>
>>672308
That's not a myth
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 640x434) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 640x434
A story from some some indigenous relatives of mine on the west coast of Canada

When the people were young and United there was a time of great prosperity and peace among the tribes. Young men who had once followed the old ways had instead turned to sedentary life and spent their time on wasteful activities of leisure and cruelty. Many of the elders considered this merely harmless and thought nothing of it. There was one wood carver who spoke out against the wasteful and wanton acts of these young braves and demanded they return to tradition, however they mocked him and disregarded his warnings. When he would raise his voice against them and they responded with ridicule he would merely say.
"Calamity is coming."

One day the young son of the wood carver came upon a group of these braves torturing a young mountain goat. Among them were sons of the chief and other high ranking warriors and assorted hangers on. Seizing the young goat they threw it back and forth over a fire delighting in its cries and dunking it in the river when it's white fur caught alight. The young wood carver was disgusted and repulsed by such an atrocity and flew at the braves striking them and gathering up the young goat in his arms. As he fled the braves called after him that he would pay for striking those of a higher station, however he knew what he had done was right and he did not regret his actions.

He brought the young goat back to his father the wood carver and his sister who lived in a small house on the edge of the village. His father showed him how to tend to the young creatures burns using red ochre paint for the totem poles as a poltice for its many burns. Rimming its eyes with the ochre in an attempt to help with the smoke damage and patting it down with cedar clothes dipped in a nearby stream his father worked silently. When he had finished his father asked him what had happened and shamed his son responded expecting a swift punishment for his rash behaviour.
(Cont)
>>
>>670247
>US
>Mothman

From mytho's told they are half moths/half humans who would kidnap campers in the Forest and they would never be seen again. It is best to stay in groups while camping and never off alone.
>>
>>685067
His father sat quietly a dark look upon his face. He raised his head and looked on his son and merely said.
"Calamity is coming"

Weeks passed and the young goat grew stronger until one day they decided that it had returned to health and led it to the foothills where it's kind would gather to lick salt. They untethered the creature and pushed it towards the herd, as they walked away the son turned his head to look back and was surprised to see the it looking back at him as well. It's eyes still red with the ochre stain peering back with surprising intelligence.

Months and years passed and the family suffered for the sons defiance of the high born of the village. The powerful families scorn meant the fathers carvings were passed over and they were driven to ruin. Forced to garb themselves in roughly made cedar capes and salmon skin moccasins they sat huddled in their house lamenting their station while their father sat silently. At last he spoke looking at the two of them in turn.
"Calamity is coming."

One day a messenger approached the village from a hitherto unknown tribe. He wore a rich garb of goat fur and cedar his wrists adorned with beads and his moccasins trimmed in quill he strode into the headmans long house and proclaimed the invitation of the whole tribe to a potluck. Now in those days a potluck was a great celebration often lasting weeks upon end, with each tribe giving greater and greater gifts to the other in an attempt to outdo them in shows of wealth and affluence. The whole village was alight with the news as this meant they would all benefit from the celebration. Only the old wood carver sat unimpressed with this news merely saying once more.
"Calamity is coming"

After that the whole tribe joined in ridiculing the family and mocked them for not enjoying this news, weeks passed as the village prepared for the festivities and heaped scorn on the woodcarvers family.
(Cont)
>>
>>685192

Weeks passed and the messenger arrived once more. Leading the whole village up into the mountains days passed as they traveled. The villagers chattering with greed and anticipation, each one boasting of the rich gifts they would give and receive. All the while laughing at the wood carvers family who's dour attitudes were out of place.

Finally they arrived at their destination, the village was one of great wealth and beauty. Perched upon a mountain top the long houses were intricately carved and adorned with paintings of the tribes crest the mountain goat, echoed amongst the people's jewelry and fur capes.

They were led into the Chiefs long house and began the traditional introductions and exchanging of gifts. Carved boxes and great platters heaping with preserved and fresh fruits and meats. The finest cedar capes and moccasins. Many weapons and furs, even a few of the legendary copper sheets each carved with an animal crest and worth an entire village alone. Such a display of wealth rendered the guests awestruck. Then, the hosts began their dance.

Herbs were thrown upon the fire and dancers leapt out of the rafters. Each garbed in a mountain goat cape and wearing a horned wooden mask in the shape of a goats head. They pranced and leapt, cutting fine their movemnts they stepped as though upon the knife edges of a cliff and turned and fell as though descending a mountain face. Great billowing clouds of smoke came off the fire and the dancers led the visiting tribesmen into the clouds of smoke starting with the chief and his retinue. As the rest of the village was led into the dance, the wood carver and his family were startled at the touch of a dancer upon their backs. Turning they saw a young man lifting his goat mask, his eyes glinting mischievously and rimmed with red ochre.

Grabbing them by their hands he led them out of long house into the sunlight, he then pointed at the direction they had just come from.
>>
>>685267

Confused they turned back. The houses were gone and they were not in a village at all but upon a barren mountaintop wreathed in clouds the spot they had been seated the very edge of a cliff. Looking over the edge they saw the bodies of those that had ridiculed the family smashed to pieces on the rocks below. The dancer led them down the mountain and upon reaching the bottom pointed. A great pile of gifts sat waiting for family as a thanks for the kindness bestowed. Turning to the dancer the family was surprised to see a goat springing back up the mountain.
The old wood carver smiled.

"Calamity has come."

>tldr goats are Satan everywhere
>>
>>682462
Ofcourse we wash daily we aren't filthy kafir :^)
>>
>>672211
in the netherlands that's called sinterklaas and the furry monsters are black people
>>
File: Cernunnos_by_dashinvaine.jpg (72 KB, 687x870) Image search: [Google]
Cernunnos_by_dashinvaine.jpg
72 KB, 687x870
>>670329
Kinda
>>
>>670340
You could add part of the Arthurian legend (Chrétien de Troyes' texts)

We have the Republic's mythology, nowadays.
>>
File: 170234.jpg (121 KB, 1332x2525) Image search: [Google]
170234.jpg
121 KB, 1332x2525
>>682882
Good night
>>
>>685759
bump
>>
File: Roland's Breach.jpg (631 KB, 2484x1671) Image search: [Google]
Roland's Breach.jpg
631 KB, 2484x1671
>>685747
There's the whole Matter of France centered around Charlemagne and his peers.
>>
>>678737

I love Chinese mythology but the names are really hard to keep track of. It would be easier if the names were translated, they're mostly regular nouns afaik?
>>
File: Cuchulain_at_GPO.jpg (233 KB, 521x1064) Image search: [Google]
Cuchulain_at_GPO.jpg
233 KB, 521x1064
Cuchulainn. The Celtic Herakles. A prodigal hero, trained by faery amazons, who could defeat anyone by his skill, by his magic javelin, and by his ríastrad, a battle-frenzy so all-consuming that his skin turned back to front and steam came off him. Best known for defeating the army of the Queen of Connaught by claiming a strategic ford in a river and building walls of the corpses of those he killed. He was undone by his geasa, ritual taboos that he observed for spiritual reasons, and that his enemies conspired to force him to break. Even after he was dead, his enemies wouldn't approach his body until they saw the crows had begun to feed on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xempnzVy3Vs
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 40

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.