[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stupid Inaccuracies in Film
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5
Just saw a clip from Pear Harbor. I knew this film was bad, but holy shit Batman, this scene was stupid. Roosevelt is talking with his advisors and one
of them says that the Japanese can invade as far as Chicago if we lose the Pacific fleet. No way anyone actually said that right? That would mean:
>The Japanese manage to land millions of troops on the west coast
>Defeat our military in California
>March 2000 miles over deserts, mountains and plains
>Maintaining Air superiority this whole time
>Crossing hundreds of rivers, some incredibly wide
>The main industry is in the east, so we still would be producing plenty of weapons
>They would have to stop new ships from attacking from the Panama Canal
>Dealing with our army fighting on home soil as well as a well armed civilian population

Did anyone seriously think this might be possible? What other stupid mistakes do big budget movies make that are so obvious you cringe?
>>
I saw a trailer for that new movie Risen a day or two ago. I was actually kind of interested at first, because it seemed like a novel idea.

Then I watched the trailer where Joseph Fienne's main character Tribune guy does a voiceover;

>I have served the Roman Empire
>I have fought wars against those that did not believe in our gods

Dropped.
>>
>>669848
Wait, he called it the roman empire at 33 CE? I'd dropped the movie aswell.
>>
Literally any WW2 documentary
>"the Polish airforce was effectively eliminated in the first day of the war"
>tfw the Poles had aces flying during the second and third weeks of the war
>"by the time England and France declared war on September 3rd, it was already too late for Poland"
>no mentions about heroic Polish last stands like Wizna, Hel Peninsula, and Danzig

>Never mention Lithuania or the Baltic Campaign
>Never mention Polish/Lithuanian/Latvian/Estonia/Yugo Partisans, swear that the French partisans actually did anything on the scale of aforementioned movements

Dont even get me started on the French Campaign in 1940
>"durr france had no tanks lol blitzkrieg"
>>
>Hollywood films are historically inaccurate
shocking
>>
>>669831
>as well as a well armed civilian population

This is more conjecture on my part, but I don't think the general population of USA in '45 was as well armed as it is today.
>>
>>671814
>Danzig
What do you mean? The Free City of Danzig joined with Germany in invading Poland, the only fighting was a minor naval battle and some Polish postmen bickering with some local SS and police.
>>
>>671846
By Danzig i meant the Post Office battle and the Battle of Westerplatte
>>
>>671864
I'll give you Westerplatte, but the Post Office "Battle" only had ~100 militia men on each side, and was over after 15 hours. Overall, completely pointless.
>>
>>671870
Shit, then i must be thinking of something else, probably just mixing it up with Hel Peninsula
>>
>>671882
You may have just read some Polish propaganda over blowing it, I used to be under the impression that it was a bigger deal than it actually was. For some reason, they romanticize the most bizarre events.
>>
Longshanks throwing his sons boyfriend out of a window in Braveheart

why
>>
When Bryan Singer figured it would be too Tom Cruiseish to have Claus von Stauffenberg refuse morphine when Stauffenberg refused painkillers in real life.
>>
>>671833
In the west they were
>>
>>669831
I havent watched the movie but to my understanding the Americans were expecting an attack eventually, just not as soon as it happened. The oil embargos main aim was to pretty much either starve out the japanese army or to force them to attack America. Pearl Harbor was mostly suprising in that the Japanese came much sooner than expected. As far as I'm aware American high command had no illusions they would could have lost.
>>
>>671887

you know why.
>>
>>671923
Because Mel Gibson hates the eternal Anglo
>>
>>671909
As far as I understand many of the Japanese also believed they would lose the war but to suggest "cowardice" would invite assassination so they dragged the country into a war they were certain they would lose.
>>
>>672064
Japanese high command that is
>>
>>669831
There are still people on /his/ who believe that the Japanese could have done that.
>>
>>671833
Farmers in the west still had to deal with wolves, panthers and coyotes at this time period. Plus, it had only been 6 years since machine gun sales had been banned, a decent amount of people
still owned some. Not to mention the fact that only 40 years had passes since the frontier days, and many of the inhabitants of the west were only second or third generation farmers who still probably
had granddads colt and winchester lying around anyway. Hell, to this day in some rural regions kids regularly get a .22 when they are only 8 or 9. Considering the Japanese came from a country where
civilian weapon ownership had been illegal for 400 years, it would be a nasty surprise to any soldiers if Japan somehow was able to even get inland.
>>
>>672067
Speaking of which, who exactly was in charge? Reading about the Japanese government, it seems like no one was actually the 100% undisputed leader. The Emperor seems to not have been doing much, and the army, navy and civilian
leaders all seemed to dislike each other.
>>
>>673565

Not him, but pretty much nobody. You had competing cabals who were struggling for money and influence, and whomever was giving orders one day might not have been the person giving orders the next.

It's quite honestly amazing they did as well as they did, given how much of a colossal clusterfuck it was.
>>
>>673574
How did the government get formed anyway? Did they have some type of election?
>>
>>669831
No. There was some vague concern they might invade Hawaii or shell the West Coast. It was never taken super seriously though. Really I think

>I think WWII just started!

Should have been the biggest clue it was all a load of shit.
>>
>>675744
Military coup. A bunch of crazy military hardliners took over, killed a much more progressive and peaceful government, installed a sort of ur-fascism. The whole thing could have been avoided if calmer minds had prevailed. All part of a huge tragedy, really.
>>
>>675803
>I think WWII just started!

Haven't seen the movie, when do they say that?
>>
>>671814
>"durr france had no tank

Literally never heard that in any documentary
Most correctly state that France used itstanks the wrong way thus rendering them ineffective

Also, I find it pretty pathetic how Poles on the internet always try to make up for their utter failure in WW2 by picking on the only country that performed as badly as them, France
Especially when the French entered the war to save your ass (even though they failed)
>>
>>675822
Presumably while Japan is bombing Pearl Harbor. I haven't actually seen it. Just this clip and the opening where Ben Affleck wins the Battle of Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_KrrI-rgns
>>
>>672060

>Mel Gibson hates the eternal Anglo

He is the eternal Anglo though.
>>
>>675803

>Truly, we are now fighting a War of 1812â„¢
>>
File: urbanii.jpg (214 KB, 759x734) Image search: [Google]
urbanii.jpg
214 KB, 759x734
>>675964
>It's time to go on... The First Crusade!
>>
>>671923
because Mel Gibson wanted to make the audience hate the english for being both effeminate homosexuals and bigoted homophobes

he even has William Wallace cuck the King of England iirc

>quality filmmaking
>>
>>669831
>I THINK WORLD WAR TWO JUST STARTED :DDDDDDDDDDDDD
Literally triggered
>>
>>675823
>>671814 #
>Literally never heard that in any documentary
Most correctly state that France used itstanks the wrong way thus rendering them ineffective
I meant that France cannot into tank

>Also, I find it pretty pathetic how Poles on the internet always try to make up for their utter failure in WW2 by picking on the only country that performed as badly as them, France
Especially when the French entered the war to save your ass (even though they failed)
i dont know how that came across as picking on france m8, but if that triggers you so be it :-)

>utter failure
we had success, albeit minor/individual/lowkey. Its hard to be recognized for cracking the enigma and shooting down the most planes during the Battle of Britain when your allies sell you out to the Soviets
>>
>>676105
Fuqq cannot into greentext
>>
File: 1416629383169.png (63 KB, 219x255) Image search: [Google]
1416629383169.png
63 KB, 219x255
>>671887
I'm curious how would England under Edward II be if that actually happened.
>>
>>675908
Lol no, he comes from an Irish Catholic family.
>>
>>672451
>bands of American farmers with old repeater rifles
>ever standing a chance against an industrial, highly organized army trained for guerilla warfare possessing aeroplanes, tanks and mobilized infantry
Why do Americans believe this bullshit?
>>
>>676580
Mechanized infantry*
>>
>>672451
It would just give the Japs an excuse to torture and kill everyone, not that they needed one.
>>
File: 1454010073908.jpg (10 KB, 273x373) Image search: [Google]
1454010073908.jpg
10 KB, 273x373
>>676580
0/10

>Supplying an invasion force across the Pacific, past the Rockies and through the U.S. heartland into Chicago

>your forces are already in the heart of Southeast Asia

>implying implications

0/10
>>
>>675823
>the only country that performed as badly as them, France
Germany lost a higher casualty rate during BoF than Barbarossa, and lost half of their air force.
>>
File: fakemoonlanding.jpg (34 KB, 385x385) Image search: [Google]
fakemoonlanding.jpg
34 KB, 385x385
>>669831
pearl harbour was an inside job
>>
>>672064
Part of the problem was that as the war dragged on, the Army grew in importance. The Navy was sunk, and the bureaucracy and everything they controlled was getting fucked up, so the Army was becoming more powerful by the day.

And in the Army's understanding, the problem was that the Navy was faggots.
>>
>>676603
Good reply
>>
>>676580
Right. That's why the Japanese had zero fucking problems with Partisans in China, right?
>>
>>676630
What problems are you talking about, other than the ones pulled out of your ass?
>>
>>676630
Yeah instead they just went and committed fucking genocide. And they would have done the same in the US if any suicidal dumbass decided to start a rebellion.
>>
>>671898
I remember reading that as well, but the way I took it is less of an historical inaccuracy and more of a "truth is stranger than fiction" thing.
>>
>>669831
It's been years since I saw this but I seem to remember a b-25 going on a strafing run.
>>
>>676560

His father was an Anglo mutt, his mother was Irish.
>>
>>676777
His father was of largely Irish descent as well. Hilariously enough also so tinfoiled he thinks 9/11 was a Jewish plot involving remote controls.
>>
>>676666
The USMC had some b25s used for attacking ships and sub's which involved strafing. I don't know about strafing ground targets though, Mr Satan.
>>
Ironclad had a Knight Templar as a feminist guy with modern moral sensibilities fighting for democracy with the barons against King John.
>>
>>676605
>160,000 vs 800,000
Yeah no
>>
>>676580
>japs
>that description
They only defeated china because they were backwater shithole
>>
>>676609
The sad thing is some people actually believed this.
>>
>>677368
>being illiterate
>>
>>676134
Probably even shorter and more disastrous than his real rule.
>>
>>669848

>I have served the Roman Empire
Kind of bad but I could let that slide

>I have fought wars against those that did not believe in our gods
This one makes no fucking sense. Rome did not fight wars over religion
>>
>>676666
>>677304

The end of the movie depicts Doolittle's Raid, which involved using modified B-25s for a long-range wave-top bombing strike on Japan for propaganda purposes. They had to save so much weight they even ditched their defensive armament.

Much later on in the war, B-25s would have their noses refitted with numerous weapons for strafing runs. Usually many browning .50s. Or in some cases 75 mm cannons. That had nothing to do with the Bay film though. You can find some good youtube videos of combat footage though, usually in conjunction with the Rabaul campaign.
>>
>>679898
Was the propaganda worth the expense of sending two carrier groups to deal minimal damage to Japan?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.