[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's pretend I'm a White landowner in America during
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
Let's pretend I'm a White landowner in America during the Presidency of John Adams. What would happen if I read the Koran and decided to convert to Islam? Would people respect my right to free religion, shun me, or both? Would anyone (maybe the Quakers) be chill with me?
>>
File: mckenzie.png (104 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
mckenzie.png
104 KB, 280x280
>>668357
The constitution guarantees freedom of religion
>Doubting the constitution
How un-american. Are you a communist too?
>>
You reminded me of that one Muslim slave trader that got captured by some rivals and put into the trans Atlantic slave trade, got sent to the thirteen colonies, somehow met a guy that knew what islam was, managed to get back home, and went back to trading slaves.
>>
>>668357
How is people's free choice to withdraw their company, commerce and society from you a violation of a right?

Fucking seppos.
>>
File: mccauslin.png (86 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
mccauslin.png
86 KB, 280x280
>>668737
>Religious
>Doesn't buy into the equality sham
A fine man in my book.
>>
>>668740
Nobody is saying it is.

As far as I can tell OP has a genuine curiosity about the social standing of early American muslims.
>>
>>668758

thanks for looking out for us McConnachie
>>
>>668730
The constitution at the time of John Adams was understood to only apply to the federal government. States had taxpayer supported official churches and nobody thought there was a constitutional problem. Incorporation is a 20th century doctrine.
>>
>>668357

You'd be lynched. Freedom of religion in early America only extended to Protestantism and its various denominations and sects.
>>
>>668808
>implying most of the founding fathers weren't deists
But yeah, people didn't think too fondly of "Mohammedians" back then. Jefferson happening to own a Koran was about as far as one could go in that route.
>>
File: mccoleslaw.png (86 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
mccoleslaw.png
86 KB, 280x280
>>668766
No problem kiddo. Don't forget - the CIA is infested with homosexuals!

>>668777
>The constitution at the time of John Adams was understood to only apply to the federal government.
It applied to all men. It says so right here, triple seven:
http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/declaration_transcript.html
Godspeed with the Boers https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/777_%28number%29#Political_significance
>>
>>668357
Islam was a respected religion in America and Europe until very recently. You would be fine, as long as you said "there is no God but God." Hell we'd even respect you if you said you were going to behead infidels for the prophet to achieve paradise. Until 2001, all of that crazy salafism stuff fit right in, here in America.
Maybe your turban might get and few looks.
>>
>>668765
OP suggested that rights and "shunning" are in contradiction, as in "shunning" is an example of a right abrogated.

Are you illiterate or are you hyperspazzed?
>>
>>668861
Declaration of Independence!= constitution. Try looking up some case law, like Cruikshank or Barron's cases.
>>
>>668808
>>668931

Do you guys have any proof to back that up or are you guys just spoutin memes
>>
>>668357
you would be heavily socially ostracized

if you are weird in other ways, maybe people will overlook this and look at you at that one guy who is eccentric and lost his mind
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.