[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the whole historical basis of Asians being 'yellow',
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9
File: 163381746.jpg (181 KB, 438x594) Image search: [Google]
163381746.jpg
181 KB, 438x594
What's the whole historical basis of Asians being 'yellow', anyway?
>>
The woman who owns my local Chinese is literally yellow.
>>
the sun sets to the west
when european traders would meet chinese caravanas in the silk road, because they were heading west, the sun would be seen just behind the chinese. this optical phenomenon made the chinese look yellow.
>>
>>668213
Yah but seriously...
>>
well white was already taken, and yellow is the next closest thing
>>
>>667890

yellow gook skin
>>
>>667890
When Europeans first met Chinese they were described as having a European skin tone. But during the 18th century, European scholars started dividing humans into well-defined races. Caucasians were white, Africans black, native Americans red (which also isn't true) and therefore the Chinese had to be yellow. Often this division was made without ever having seen a Chinese in person.

Meanwhile, the Chinese considered yellow to be an Imperial colour, and this obsession with the colour yellow gave further credibility to the scholars's opinions.
>>
>>667890
SEAs, it's their stereotypical look

Also it's not all "Asians", just East Asians - Mongoloids
Don't discriminate Arabs, Persians and others faggot

I hate that shit, I'm Asian AND I'M NOT A FUCKING GOOK
Stop with that PC propaganda, races are not called after continents. You say white, black so say yellow too.
>>
File: iceagevegetationcomparison.jpg (197 KB, 796x1280) Image search: [Google]
iceagevegetationcomparison.jpg
197 KB, 796x1280
>>667890
>>668356
asians have a thicker fatty insulation layer under the skin, an adaptation to the cold along with insulation for the eyes and lower height

mootnote: plz no /pol/, just stating facts
>>
>>668391
That picture is bullshit. Sahara and the Middle East were far more lush back in the last ice age.
>>
File: rhino-blog.jpg (24 KB, 400x263) Image search: [Google]
rhino-blog.jpg
24 KB, 400x263
>>668391
this desu, climate influences nose morphology a lot
people from cold, dry climates have higher and narrower nasal cavities than people from hot, humid ones
east asians and whites are ice people
>>
>>668422
>what about arabs, berbers and HoA?
>>
File: King of La Plata.jpg (14 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
King of La Plata.jpg
14 KB, 300x225
>>668378
It's not like africans are black either. They're brown, only some weirdos like pic related look actually black from a certain distance. And we whites are not white, just pink, if anything we and not amerindians should be the red race (which would be cooler by the way).
>>
File: 4622849763_2445d62537.jpg (72 KB, 500x243) Image search: [Google]
4622849763_2445d62537.jpg
72 KB, 500x243
>>668430
arabs/semites are "white", you can plop them into the occidental/european ethnicity cube
>>
spic here, a lot of us are literally yellow skinned
>>
>>668446
That's because indios and chinks are basically the same.
>>
>>668439
But then what is white and what is non-white

>pic related is Mohamoud Ali Shir , Somali Sultan, is he ''white''?
>>
File: Sultan_Mohamoud_Ali_Shire_2.jpg (33 KB, 308x366) Image search: [Google]
Sultan_Mohamoud_Ali_Shire_2.jpg
33 KB, 308x366
>>668449
>>668439
forgot pic
>>
>>668449
of "white" isn't a meaningful category as I think most people know it was fabricated by the English to elevate themselves over other euros like the Irish, but it's become widespread enough to be useful in delineating more or less intuitive ethnic conglomerates
>>
>>668439

WE WUZ ARYANS N SHIT
>>
>>668448
probably, my skin is of mustard color, when the sun hits my face it turns to yellow, when its cold it turns to yellow too, when i use white clothes it turns to light brown, when its hot as fuck it turns to a mix between light brown and orange
>>
>>668449
We who are making the divisions are caucasian, so we are special snowflakes and get to make sub-divisions inside our group. This man is not white, just in the same group than whites.
>>
>>668466
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>668457
Yes because it leaves allot of beatifull in the middle like Central Asia, are they white because they belonged to the ussr or asian or middle eastern? see what i mean it would be better to catogorize people on culturel
>>
>>668468
>This man is not white, just in the same group than whites.

Could you explain?
>>
>>668470
i'm a guy btw
>>
>>668471
How would you delineate "cultures", though? Where does one end and another begin?
Mongolia, for instance, has been massively influenced by China and Russia, they even use Cyrillic script despite looking physically "Asian". Is their culture uniquely Mongolian?
>>
>>668483
''Culture'' is mainly Language and Religion or lack of religion, history and genealogy is also important. I would group mongolians I would group them as a subgroup of the Far East.
>>
>>668483
Cyrilic now forms part of mongolian culture. They're mongolians. Not yellow, not asian, not shit just mongolians. Then you can start to argue how mongolians have close ties with russians, tibetans, chinese, central asians, etc. for different reasons but at the end of the day you're still talking about mongolians.

It's that easy. The urge to categorize everything into macro-groups is silly.
>>
>>668451
Does someone have that pic - Unlike you Bantu niggers we Somalis are completely white?
>>
File: ct7lemso8wrh7lfxc9rq.jpg (86 KB, 612x609) Image search: [Google]
ct7lemso8wrh7lfxc9rq.jpg
86 KB, 612x609
>>668499
What about blacks in America, by this logic? Not only are they ethnically disparate, they speak what is apparently recognized as a distinct language (AAVE), and traditionally subscribe to the baptist or methodist variants of protestant Christianity. Nonetheless, they are Americans?
>>
>>668514
What are you trying to say?
>>
>>668521
American is not an Ethnicity.
>>
File: 1.01_all_groups_2012.jpg (1 MB, 2200x1700) Image search: [Google]
1.01_all_groups_2012.jpg
1 MB, 2200x1700
>>668529
Are the blue people in Kentucky deluded Germans?
>>
>>668540
America/The new world is kind of special as the nation does not have an ethnic origin but a recent one.
>>
>>668449
"white" is as meaningful as "asian" and "blacks". Its more cultural than anything.

Supreme court had a ruling on what is considered white or not in America. Their answer was what was considered "white" is only the commonly understood perception of "white". Aka aryans from european background.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Bhagat_Singh_Thind

As for arabs and syrians, they were subjected to similar ruling as above. In this particular case, the supreme court reversed its position stating that the syrian in question could be considered white due to his intelligence and his whiteness and genetics.

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dow_v._United_States

Supreme court says in order to be a white person, you have to be european, intelligence, adopt the common european attires/speech, etc. If it acts, looks, speaks, and thinks like a white, he's white. Thats what is stated.

Ahmed can be considered a white person, if he's aryan, he has european education system backing, is smart, has pale/light complexion, speaks with european accent, is cultured in european ways.
>>
>>668396
you're referring to another period near the end of the ice age at the earliest, not during the glacial maximum
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_Subpluvial

>>668422
europe experience 2 migrations from anatolia, one after the end of the ice age and one during the neolithic farming revolution, northern europeans seem to have stubby celestial noses while southern europeans tend to have longer curved "roman" noses like their middle eastern neighbors which is probably an adaptation to resist desert dust and preserve moisture
>>
>>668474
Caucaisan =/= white.

But my whole post was just about how most of these racial terms, white included, are not very consistent and often don't make a lot of sense.
>>
>>668540
Oh wow I didn't realize at first that Indian referred to natives
>>
>>668436
They are very black, african americans though are brown because they mostly have european dna too
>>
>>669200
Nah many are very dark and others are pretty light.

It's a spectrum to be honest.
>>
>>668522
Memetic pic, I'm searching for it
It had such inscription on it

>>668616
I love that meem XD
>ALL NEGROIDS ARE BLACK
>ALL MONGOLOIDS ARE YELLLOW
>BUT... NOT ALL CAUCASOIDS ARE WHITE!

Nice divide and conquer, well shill'd
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 360x240
Cause they're fucking yellow. Especially inland Chinese
>>
Some (east) Asians do look yellow. But in my experience there is a lot of diversity amongst them. They go from a brownish-orange color to yellow to pale (not always the pinkish pale of Europeans, but a very white pale).
>>
>>668631
Retard
>>
Why are white people called white if they don't actually have white skin? And a lot of niggers are actually brown. People who named races were fucking retarded I'm surprised spics aren't called green.
>>
>>672270
There actually are only two melanin pigments in human skin- red and yellow. A lot of either just looks brown or black. They aren't perfectly red or yellow pigments though, or else we'd see orange people that looked like they got a bad spray tan. In black American culture they use the terms redbone and yellowbone to describe light skinned blacks who look a specific shade
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.