[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just can't understand this guy, he's so hard to read,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7
File: ourfriendhegel.jpg (76 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
ourfriendhegel.jpg
76 KB, 1000x1000
I just can't understand this guy, he's so hard to read, but he also looks very interesting, just tell me what he said plase !
>>
One of the things he said was that to properly understand philosophy you can't rely on bulletpoint summaries or whatever. You have to read the text.

So fuck off.
>>
>>665352
You should really read Hume & Kant first.
>>
>>665352
You have a long way to go if you're asking this question. He's one of the few olympian end bosses of philosophy.
>>
>>665362
>>665364
So, what philosophers should I read first if I want to go straight to him ?
>>
>>665371
Hume, Kant.
>>
>>665371
Start with the Greeks, you dip.
>>
you can't force the comprehension of Hegel's. You can't only prepare yourself (more and more readings) until it comes to you.
>>
>>665380
I'm already in. But what's the order ?
>>
File: Herr Hegler.png (993 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Herr Hegler.png
993 KB, 1000x1000
>>665352

his facial resemblance to hitler is striking

pic related
>>
>>665403
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/edit
>>
>>665371
Do you want to understand him or do you just want to sound out the words he put together? If the prior then you have to start from the beginning - he also read Buddhism and hermetic texts. If you're fine with merely sounding out words then Hume and Kant are fine. But you have to realize that Hume and Kant are end bosses in themselves. Here ya go -> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>665412
I want to understand him, it's like if I knew that he has important things to say to me. I'm reading "reason in history" right now and I know that this guy and his philosophy are made for me, but I can't fucking understand him.
>>
>>665403
>le france punctuation
« Plato »
« Aristotle »
>>
>>665412
If you want to make reading Buddhism simpler, read Heidegger first. But you might need to read Kierkegaard to fully get Heidegger.
>>
>>665428
What's the problem with my punctuation ?>>665432
im not interesting in buddhism
>>
>>665456
>im not interesting
No you aren't. But if you don't understand buddhism you won't understand Hegel.

>What's the problem with my punctuation ?
It is grossly incorrect for English and marks you out as one of French, Vietnamese or Stupid. Perhaps all three.
>>
>>665432
Heidegger is who you read last fucker
>>
>I want to skip to a specific thinker instead of gaining a more holistic understanding of philosophy

One of the few ways to do it wrong.
>>
>>665468
why being so rough ?
>>
>>665456
Buddhism btfo Descartes like 2000 years before him. It's good times.
>>
>>665456
In French, you have to leave a space after a question mark, but not in English.
>>
>>665493
before a question mark*
>>
>>665484
I always fuck cunts rough.

>>665474
In my house we read him first, well, in parallel with koans.
>>
All of reality tends to perfection and to his philosophy, his religion and the state he was born in
>>
>>665504
Finally someone who did what I was waiting for !
>>
>>665504
>and to his philosophy, his religion and the state he was born in
Such an unecessary cuck response.
>>
>>665513
Reduced all of Hegel's contributions to a specious one-liner? I guess you are French and stupid.
>>
If a philosopher can't be understood by any simpleton than he's a hack. Truth should be as plain and simple as the sound of the rain. The same way, any philosopher that is "lost" in translation in such a manner that his work can no longer be fully understood is also a hack. The sound of rain needs no translation.
>>
>>665474
Read Levinas after Heidegger and realize the beauty of our interconnectedness to the other
>>
>>665574

Where are you getting these definitive rules from?
>>
>>665611
From his own arsehole, where he gets his other thoughts.
>>
Add Spinoza to the list of must-read philosophers. Also, these lessons are great: https://youtu.be/DStYkSO4Cc0
>>
>>665408
true, he has the same "dreamy"/"magical" gaze
>>
>>665574
analytic detected isn't it past your bedtime?
>>
File: 1454271220394.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1454271220394.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>665574
how can one post contain so many shiggy diggs?
>>
>>665574
Please stop shitposting Chomsky. You're getting old and can't keep up these late nights.
>>
>>666671
>>666654
>>666625
>le super deep dialectical man can never be summarized heh

Holy shit you autists

Bros I'm about to blow your fucking minds check it

Use WORDS that DESCRIBE the most IMPORTANT concepts in Hegel's philosophy in a couple of lines that give a concise, but obviously not systematic, understanding of the general tenor of Hegel's thought. Wow! Doctors hate him!
>>
>>666863
>I AM A CUNT PLEASE FUCK MY FACE
There we go. That's Hegel's philosophy, that you are a cunt and you need your face fucked.
>>
>>666863
but i dont understand his philosophy cause it's hard as fuck-- this doesnt mean, however, that im going to accuse him of being meaningless, which would be dumb
>>
>>665352
>So the problem of freedom, for Hegel and those who follow him, is not freedom from external constraint, but the establishment of the social conditions under which the life you lead seems to be the one you have determined.

Hegel the good little rationalist despises life so much that he tries to ''understand'' why >muh society makes us do what we do, in order to change society for fulfilling, at last, his wishes.
>>
>endless bickering about reading lists
>shouting down a guy who asks for a substantive summary
>no one even pretending to answer OP

the humanities won't be missed
>>
>>665468
>But if you don't understand buddhism you won't understand Hegel

Don't listen to this guy, just read the book. If there are words or concepts you don't understand look them up. The elitism regarding philosophy is retarded considering content rich history is so much harder to read (no, not gay ass biographies on Napoleon). Literally read the fucking book; you are never going to understand Hegel better by reading some guy who isn't Hegel instead.
>>
>>665574
Yeah, philosophy is basically wisdom and common sense mixed together. Retards make things more complicated than they have to be. There is no plot in philosophy, just thoughts. It is actually much easier to read than many genres.
>>
File: 1432611060010.jpg (105 KB, 739x742) Image search: [Google]
1432611060010.jpg
105 KB, 739x742
>>666863
History is the process of dialectics: the synthesizing of contradictory elements into a superior whole. All of human history, from art to religion to philosophy, is the dialectical approach to an absolute: God.

but you already knew that you're just a meme loving fuck
>>
>>667394
Let's go on sci and ask which of the 4 humours is the most superior for planning geocentric movements into space!

Because that's the standard of your and OP's shit posting!

Oops, the science of auspices says today is a bad day to shitpost, and it is always today.
>>
>>667515
>The elitism regarding philosophy is retarded considering content rich history is so much harder to read
No, "history" is hard to read because it involves gestalt reading of a wide variety of archival and primary sources.

Reading a narrative monograph is easy as fuck.
>>
>>667524
>he synthesizing of contradictory elements into a superior whole.
aufheben suspends the antagonism of the contradiction, not the contradiction itself.

ffs.
>>
>>665432
Heideggar severely misunderstood the buddhist. His positions and the positions of the many "enlightened" of the west touch parts of Buddhism. Pretty sure Hume was one of the first ones to get a depth of Buddhism.
>>
>>667524
thesis: julius caesar was not a rabbit

antithesis: julius caesar was a rabbit

synthesis: julius caesar was 50% rabbit

How does this prove dialectics will give me magical truth finding powers?
>>
>>668660
Someone give this guy a PhD.
>>
>>665352
1) Stop worrying about the order you should read shit in. Whether of the author in question, or of his predecessors in philosophy and literature. Just dive in already. You want to know how Plato and Aristotle and etc. are relevant to Hegel? He has a lecture course on the history of philosophy-just read that.

2) A MEGA of various intros, philosophical dictionaries, lectures, and shit, pretty accessible. Start with "The Ladder of Desire", if you must, and then follow up with the Rosen book. If you have to start with anything, read the biography.

https://mega.nz/#!aZAmxT6b!TIgDY4QmMeKV1KjR5SBumJvYg6tfH86JPJcW00i3z08
>>
>>668660
Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis isn't Hegel.
>>
>>670019
>MEGA
Marx and Engels complete works?
>>
File: 1450232471388.jpg (28 KB, 627x626) Image search: [Google]
1450232471388.jpg
28 KB, 627x626
>>670230
>>
>>668660
Because the synthesis isn't simply taking half the thesis and half the synthesis, it's taking the correct bits of both.
>>
>>670333
*half the thesis and half the antithesis.
>>
>>670320
You do realise what the Marx and Engels archive is called which publishes complete works?
>>
>>670333
The synthesis maintains both terms while transcending their antagonism.
>>
>>670350
You do realize I posted a mega.nz link to a zip, and was talking solely about that?
>>
File: 1445916937003.gif (975 KB, 290x231) Image search: [Google]
1445916937003.gif
975 KB, 290x231
>>665410
>guide to books to read is as long as a book
>>
>>670539
Yeah, pretty weak, you really want a guide to what to read to read Hegel that is longer than Hegel.
>>
Top thread guys.
>>
>>666614
aka a lack of eyelashes
>>
>>665352
Reading this thread, I realize that 4chan is the internet's ancient Athens. You have a bunch of nameless philosophers arguing about philosophy, religion, politics, history, and everything else. Then, you have a bunch of nameless hooligans who unironically live the philosophy of Diogenes, at least on the internet, and shitpost without end.

Two thousand years from now, the discourse here will be counted among the legendary examples of philosophical discussion.

Traditional forum sites, where you have to register for a name and get upvotes, are the thesis. 4chan is the antithesis of those websites. What is the synthesis, /his/?
>>
>>670711
Get out of my light, cunt.
>>
>>670711
Alexander, too, were he not Diogenes, wishes he was the little girl.
>>
>>670711
[spoiler]tripfags[/spoiler]
>>
>>670741
>implying tripfags are relevant in any universe
We need a different synthesis.
>>
Thesis-antithesis-synthesis has nothing to do with Hegel. I think it was used by Fichte and that Hegel mentioned it once only to say it was dumb.
>>
>>671097
THANK YOU!

I know that the "thesis-antithesis-synthesis" meme had been popular previously, but where the hell are people getting it from today? The Wikipedia page for both Hegel and the Thesis-etc. triad both specify that he critiques it and that dialectic doesn't work that way.
>>
File: marx on hegel.png (25 KB, 1600x125) Image search: [Google]
marx on hegel.png
25 KB, 1600x125
>>671225
According to the guy in this video (in minute 33:30) the said structure was popularized by Marx in his book "The Poverty of Philosophy" where he attributes it to Hegel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvFu6ak_SGk
>>
>>671268
I mean, I know that much, I just don't get how so many people who've likely done some cursory reading on Hegel from Wikipedia could keep repeating a mistake that's not really made anymore in the scholarship.

Very good video, btw.
>>
>>671268
Fucking Marx, dude understood everything wrong.
>>
>>671097
>>671225
>>671268
Hegel uses Abstract-Negative-Concrete, which is basically the same shit as Thesis-Antithesis-Synthesis
>>
>>672496
No it's not.
>>
you're not really interested in understanding hegel. if you were, you'd check out one of the many lectures freely available on youtube...and then you'd try to read what he had to say.
>>
>>665371
Plato, Aristotle, Spinoza, Descartes, Locke, Hume, Kant and Fichte
>>
>>672601
This seems pretty good. Maybe young Schelling
>>
>>665352
Don't worry you can just wait for the green meme brothers to misunderstand everything he ever said in crash course philosophy. Who else is excited to watch then meme another subject matter into the depths of hell and rape it in front of satan himself? Fuck those guys, they do more harm than good
>>
>>672601
You missed godel, sarte, and leibniz
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.