[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/his/ Tell me the reason why the Kurds were so oppressed and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1
File: az7yxg.jpg (103 KB, 690x388) Image search: [Google]
az7yxg.jpg
103 KB, 690x388
/his/ Tell me the reason why the Kurds were so oppressed and failed to have a country by the end of the ottoman empire or by the end of British dominance in the middle east ? why is it that arabs didnt like them ?
>>
>>66361
bamp
>>
>>66361
anyone ?
>>
>>66361

This is one hell of an specific topic anon, best hope some mayor in eastern history comes along

That said, im also interested
>>
>>66361
>Tell me the reason why the Kurds were so oppressed and failed to have a country by the end of the ottoman empire or by the end of British dominance in the middle east ?

Kurds were late to the party. Due to their relative backwardness when compared to Turks/Arabs/Persians, they didn't have nationalists ideologues or any literature that would encourage nationlism. That's it.

Everyone, arabs, turks, all had such ideas and literature and all of them struggled to create a naton state when it was still allowed (ie after ww1 and ww2).
>>
>>66361
Well for one I think you mean the French too, and Turkey owns the majority of what would be considered Kurdistan. Long story short Kurds forming Kurdistan is a thorn in everyone around thems side so they keep them down.

Also the precursors to the regimes installed by the British and French weren't Kurds or Kurd friendly to begin with so they just continued with that.

You could say the Kurds are one of the most fucked over peoples in history. But then again does being your own ethnic group just automatically warrant you a country?
>>
>>66361
They didn't work with the British, and it was the British who carved up the Middle East.

So when it came time to draw lines on maps in London, no one gave a fuck about the Kurds.

Also for the early part of the 20th C they had a very negative press in the West due to their enthusiastic joining with the Arabs in persecuting (poss genocide) of Assyrian Christians.
>>
thye were generally low class in the countries they belonged to and didn't have their own ruling citizens with an interest in starting their own country. it's similar to the gypsies, the Jews, and lots of other ethnic groups in Europe.
>>
>>67520

They generally run themselves, Iraqi Kurdistan is a state in everything but name.

Not all Kurds want it though. Being Kurd doesn't override that many of them like being Turk, Iranian or Syrian, apart from having their own religion like Kurdish Sunnis and Christians.
>>
>>66361
I remember them having autonomous states in the first half of the XIXth century, only to be annexed by the ottomans for killing christians needlessly. So the conquest was recent and the repression hard for them.
>>
>>66361
Actually Sadam was favorable to kurds which is a remarkable exception to his other Ba'athi counterparts. He let Iraqi Kurdistan pretty much govern itself as long as they never challenged him. On the other hand in Syria Kurds and other non-Arab minorities are not recognized by the government as citizens but rather as misplaced persons. This is quite noticeable in the names of the two countries with الجمهورية العربية السورية (The Arab Syrian Republic) and جمهورية العراق (Iraq Republic)
>>
>>67806

He even gave them free mustard gas, how kind...
>>
>>67822
yeahh this >>67806
kurds were a product of genocide by Saddam and assad didnt really do anything to them ?
>>
post kurd kuties
>>
>>67806
>Saddam
>favorable to Kurds
>>
>>67806
Ummm im pretty sure self governance came -after- Saddam fell not during. He wasn't very fond of any Kurs nationalism whatsoever. Literally gassed hundreds of them...
>>
they're bro tier
>>
>>68078
This desu
>>
>>67822
>>67850
>>68113
Compared to his Ba'athi counterparts. You can't deny that even though he did treat them badly he did give them more than other Ba'athi members would've.
>chemical attack
You do know the town was held by rebels who supported Iran during the Iran-Iraq war. Saddam handled the mess in Saddam's fashion and genocided the members of the town. In part as bad as Saddam was (which was terrible) the attack most likely wouldn't have happened if the Kurds didn't ally themselves with his enemy Iran.
>>
>>66361
Historically, they were actually one of the minorities that went along fine with the Ottomans (in general terms). Compared to greeks, armenians or assyrians, there was no real struggle by the kurds against the turk dominance and they actually helped to persecute other minorities. So you reap what you sow, I guess.

Also >>67507 they were historically very rural and traditional people, even by middle eastern standards, a lot of them being pastoralists. There was never a kurdish state or any important kurdish polity that could serve as the base for a nationalistic movement.
>>
>>68207
but saying saddam treated them better than assad is blaspheme
>>
>>68206
no
>>
>>68207
Iran had the same problems with kurds supporting saddam but they didnt gas whole villages to fight them and killed several innocent civilians by doing so. Mass murder was never a justificable option and the use of chemical weapons isnt justified in any scenario.
>>
>>66361
brits and french partitioned them between syria and iraq

turkey was able to get as much as land as possible and in that land, also were kurds

>M-MUH KURD OPRESSION NO LAND MEME

kurds are nothing special, there are also many other ethnics that dont have a nation/didnt get shit after the partition, a shitton of people were pressed and divided into 2 countries by the brits/french.
>>
>>67507
But they had Saladin.
>>
>>69385
That's like saying "oh jews got land in british palastine and there happened to be arabs there"
>>
>>69503
I dont get what you are trying to say.
>>
>>66361
They never were "so oppressed". It's a modern myth put out by ultra-nationalist Kurds. They also never had a country, ever.
>>
>>69536
k
>>
>>70040
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Former_Kurdish_states
>>
>>70107
What k? Im asking to you reword/explain your position better.
>>
>>67806
>On the other hand in Syria Kurds and other non-Arab minorities are not recognized by the government as citizens but rather as misplaced persons
wut? any proofs apart from the name of the country?
>>
>>70365
baatism basically means arabization

meaning kurdishness was denied, kurds had to take arab names, and efforts were made to relocate/displace them to control them

this also happened in turkey, but it was mainly only kurds and not non turk/kurds, altough you can attribute that to the factor that other minorities didnt really care about getting turkified
>>
>>70472
what about Syrian non-Arab Christians though?
>>
>>68078
>kurd kuties
Those don't exist.
>>
>>70601
arabization does not necessarily involve religion
>>
>>70946
Are you trying to tell me that, say, Syrian Armenians have been Arabized by the state but are still Christian or what? Cuz that's not the case.
>>
>>71022
no idea desu i only know about the kurds, armenians are probably too small in numbers to ever cause a problem or something
>>
>>70883
t. t*rk
>>
>>71042
stop using desu. thats pretty annoying. you remind me of this one anon from omegle
>>
>>71102
senpai...
>>
>>71170
desu...
>>
>>71102

desu desu imo
>>
This is one of those threads where it's fun to play "Spot the Turks."
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.