[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Countries that have never been relevant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 18
File: sm.png (457 KB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
sm.png
457 KB, 2560x1920
What has San Marino done? It's the oldest "country" in the world and yet it doesn't seem to have done anything ever. Genuinely curious.
>>
Micro nations needs to die. It's not fucking 1100 anymore.
>>
>>662782
It's revolt against the Hwan Empire was the first step to the Finno-Korean Hyper War
>>
They keep the old roman consular government system don't they? that's cool, Andorra is the one that hasn't done anything, at least Luxemburg is important
>>
File: Obesityland.png (179 KB, 735x492) Image search: [Google]
Obesityland.png
179 KB, 735x492
>>662782
This entire region
>>
>>662813
Add Australia and NZ too.
>>
>>662791
Maybe. But which country would annex Luxembourg and Liechtenstein? Just split them up?
>>
>>662782
Who the hell is Stan Marino?
>>
>>662813
>Australia
>irrelevant
I'd say it's far more relevant today than a country like Portugal
>>
>>662823
Dan's cousin. Played basketball in college but couldn't make it in the NBA so was forced into the Italian leagues.
>>
>>662830
meant for
>>662816
>>
>>662830
Relevant in what exactly?
>>
>>662820
Liechtenstein for Germany, Luxembourg one quarter to France the rest to Germany
>>
>>662836
on the global stage. Sydney is an important global city, as is Melbourne. In terms of armed forces Australia has a far better military that most countries. Also 2nd highest GDP in the world.
>>
>>662801
When will this meme die. It was funny at first but fugg it needs to end.
>>
>>662838
Luxembourg is a Dutch clay, just like as Belgium
>>
>>662813
>he doesn't know about the T'ui Tonga Empire
>>
>>663103
And the Netherlands are German clay, just like France.
>>
>>663113
Please inform me then
>>
>>663116
Hoo boy
>>
>>663116
>German Clay
What? R u dum?
>>
San Marino has always served its purpose in being to some parts of Italy what Switzerland is to Europe in general. Besides, it's a cool place and they have decent swords for sale.
>>
>Be Laos
>Get carpet bombed
>>
>>663346
Seconding this. Really beautiful country though,

Actually, now that I think about it, Laos has these crazy megalithic stone jars sitting on an open plain, so pretty sure that qualifies for something
>>
>>663131
Just accept it and go on. It's even worth debating at this point.
>>
>it doesn't seem to have done anything ever
San Marino was promised more clay by Napoleon, enough to reach the sea, regent Onofri told him: "The Republic of San Marino, content with its small size, dares not to accept the generous offer made to it, nor to entertain views of ambitious enlargement that could at the same time compromise its liberty." (my translation)

It remained independent @ Congress of Vienna and throughout its history, for an anachronistically small State, completely sorrounded by another on all sides, it is no small feat.
>>
>>662848
>Also 2nd highest GDP in the world.
You mean 12th.
>>
>>663399
That anon obviously mean HDI

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
>>
>>663411
>>663399
Yes HDI is what I meant :/ For a country of 24 mill though having the 12th highest GDP in the world is still pretty remarkable
>>
>>663377
Fuck good on him. It's hard to believe Italy never once attempted to annex it, esp. during Mussolini's reign when he was all about expanding Italy as much as possible
>>
File: Flag_of_Belize.svg.png (381 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Belize.svg.png
381 KB, 2000x1333
>>662782
Never know this fucking place exist until i watch Breaking Bad.
>>
>>662791
no, that would shatter my dream of someday moving to a tiny country and making a quiet life for myself
>>
>>663808
Australia is also the 9th wealthiest country in the world, being worth over 6 trillions dollars, and the wealthiest per capita (more than 400k per adult.)
Portugal is not even in the top 30.
>>
>>662838
Liechtenstein doesn't border Germany
>>
>>662791

Why?
>>
>>663814
A fascist party came to power in San Marino. Mussolini could then claim that fascism was popular in other countries.
>>
>>662813
French polynesia is relevant for nuclear tests
>>
>>663826
it's quite irrelevant even for Central America
>>
>>663355

Those jars are awesome, when i went they had hundreds of baby frogs in them too.
>>
>>663935
It doesn't even have the benefit of being a crime-filled shit hole (which it is) because half of Central America is even worse.
>>
>>663894
>Fascist Party of San Marino
>Giuseppe, Luigi, Fabrizio, their mama Maria, and their dog Dante
>Oh yes, we-a the Capitanos Della Fascismo now!
>look at a this nice nierra shirt!
>eh mama, make a Mia machiatto, pronto, grazie
>such is glorious fascism in San Marino
>>
Andorra
Togo
Djibouti
Suriname
Tajikistan
>>
File: feels of athenry.jpg (191 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
feels of athenry.jpg
191 KB, 576x432
>>664251
Ireland
>>
>>663826
Being from Eastern Europe I know about Belize all too well, half of our mobsters launder money there.
>>
>>664180
meh, it isn't modernized enough to be a real crime filled shit-hole. it's got plenty of natural resources still untouched, though

The Northern Triangle of Central America is getting borderline African on its shit hole levels
>>
>>662830

> wacky accent
> le deadly fauna maymay
> stockpile of coal/minerals for Chinese industries

Literally can't think about other australian contributions to humankind history. At least it's still better than Canada
>>
>>663331

This

It works like a "legal" tax haven, just like Andorra. Also our taxes are very low and people from all over Italy come here to do their shoppings, especially weapons, tobacco products, alcohol.

Our language is italian, a sammarinese dialect never existed, and we feel 100% italian. The city is really nice, it' built entirely on a mount called Monte Titano, you have a nice view from there.

The reasons why we have never been annexed to the rest of Italy is that once we helped Garibaldi the moustached guy that unified Italy, and some friends of him to flee from some austrian or papal soldiers that were after him, welcoming him as a refugee for a while. To thank us, he promised us that the future italian state will always protect San Marino's autonomy. It's still unclear wether tjis is just a legend or the truth, or 50-50. Another reason is that the majority of the intellectualls that helped Garibaldi during the unification were anti-monarchy, thinking that the future italian state should have been a Republic instead of a Kingdom. It would have been a paradox then to declare war and annex San Marino, the only state in the peninsula who was a Republic

t. Sammarinese
>>
>>662782
WE WUZ

That's it.
>>
File: island comf.png (541 KB, 741x564) Image search: [Google]
island comf.png
541 KB, 741x564
>>663845
Comfy. My dream has always been to buy an island an found my own micro nation with just my mates and my family =)
>>
>>663852
::)) we really are the greatest nation on earth :)
>>
>>664180
Is Costa Rica central America's only functioning modern country? How relevant are they?
>>
>>664251
But without Djibouti we wouldn't have a country named Djibouti. It's like Uranus being an esssential part of the solar system.
>>
>>662791
Fuck off globalist
>>
File: Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png (26 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Georgia.svg.png
26 KB, 2000x1333
All this country has ever done is confuse people in the USA.
>>
>>664607
>The Kangaroo
>Rupert Murdoch
>surfing

Yeah I think those six cover everything.
>>
Entire eastern Europe with exception of Russia and maybe Poland.
>>
>>664661
Ah cheers for clearing up that bit of history. Still not really internationally relevant, even if micro nations are cozy.
>>
>>665940
Ukraine? Hungary? Greece? Macedonia? Turkey?
>>
>>665924
They are the Mexico of Central America but they think that is a good thing.
>>
>>665937
I think it was pretty relevant in the crusades m8, but I could be wrong, that's not my strong suit.
>>
File: mapAfrica.gif (33 KB, 510x383) Image search: [Google]
mapAfrica.gif
33 KB, 510x383
>>662782
What about a continent.
>>
>>665956
?? What does that even mean? If your saying it is to central America as Mexico is the north america I think that's a pretty poor analogy friend. It seems like it and maybe Panama are the best of a bad bunch.
>>
>>662838
Lichtenstein would be better off with Switzerland desu.
>>
>>665969
Pretty sure Egypt has been fairly relevant to civilization
>>
>>665982
Means you need to visit central America and find out what I mean.
>>
>>665969
>Egypt
>Carthage
>Ethiopian Kingdoms
>East African Indian Ocean Trade
>Where Slaves came from (in large part)
>Huge natural resource wealth

Did I forget anything?
>>
>>665987

That's not an argument. That's as bad as when SJW's say "it's not my job to educate you, go educate yourself."
>>
>>665969
>>665995
You missed the fact that our species owes it's existence to the continent. Also sick-ass wildlife.
>>
>>665997
>this upset.

Senpai come on.
>>
>>665954
>Ukraine?
Occupied through its entire history, and its technically a very young country.
>Hungary
Raped by Turks into oblivion, then also by Austrians.
>Greece?
I dont consider them eastern european
>Macedonia?
Literally artificial "we wuz alexanders" country. How the hell are they relevant?
>Turkey?
Barely European.
>>
>>663103
I'm Belgian and I approve of this post.
>>
File: Smug_Pepe.png (28 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Smug_Pepe.png
28 KB, 200x200
>>666012
Alright man, it seems to me you're more content acting smug than actually having a discussion. I'll go on thinking what I think and you can go on feeling like you're better than everyone. I'm not upset guy, your arguments are just weak.
>>
>>666023
What would you consider Greece then? Also Serbia's pretty relevant imo. I'd consider Istanbul a Euro city. Just because it's on the border between Europe and Asia doesn't make it any less European. Russia's the same.
>>
File: Sub Saharan memes.png (374 KB, 829x584) Image search: [Google]
Sub Saharan memes.png
374 KB, 829x584
This. Didn't include Tanzania for origin of humanity, DR Congo for King Leopold land and S Africa because Apartheid.
>>
>>663377
and so you've hit on the paradox of San Marino-- it exists and is interesting precisely because it's so fucking dull and placid no one has the heart to do anything to it, and they know it
>>
>>665937
Stalin.
>>
>>665940
Serbia's a pretty irrelevant country I agree.
>>
>>666994
>WW1
>>
>>665940
Bohemia? Hungary? Fucking Greece?
>>
>>667010
>Greece
That's southern European.

>Hungary and Bohemia
He said relevant countries.
>>
>>662791
Totally agree
>>
>>664251
>all of Oceania
>all of the -stans
>>
File: Brazil_topo.jpg (748 KB, 1400x1419) Image search: [Google]
Brazil_topo.jpg
748 KB, 1400x1419
They're fifth largest country in area and population, something like eight in economy, and yet their biggest contribution to the world has been exporting football players and prostitutes to Europe.

Actually, South America in general is irrelevant.
>>
>>667189
Brazil has an immense manufacturing base, mostly building airplanes and other aviation technology for Europe and China, as well as producing goods used all around South America.

You could call Brazil the China of Latin America, since China cornered the American consumption market, Brazil provides for everyone else.
>>
>>667185
>Afghanistan
>Pakistan

These are not irrelevant countries
>>
>>662782
- Belarus
- Mali
- Bhutan
- all the countries and island groups in the Caribbean the same size as Puerto Rico or smaller
Did they ever do anything or have anything interesting happen?
>>
File: Picture-1.png (53 KB, 415x235) Image search: [Google]
Picture-1.png
53 KB, 415x235
>>667237
> Mali
>>
>>667029
Bohemia and Hungary are very much relevant. Prague was the largest city in Europe for 300 years and the fucking 30 years war started there for fuck's sake.
>>
File: map-indonesia.gif (45 KB, 843x419) Image search: [Google]
map-indonesia.gif
45 KB, 843x419
Literally zero impact on anything.
>>
>>667237
Wouldn't say Mali is totally irrelevant. It was in the news late last year for that hotel attack and France sent troops there in 2012; not to mention the Mali Empire, Timbuktu, and all that.
Belarus is meh. It's interesting cause Lukashenko is one of the last proper dictator's to rule a European nation.
Bhutan though is totally irrelevant. The US doesn't even have an embassy there for no other reason than there's nothing going on there.
>>
>>667257
Whaaat? Indonesia is fairly relevant at least in the past 60 years with Sukarno being a leader in the Non-Aligned Movement, Suharto's genocide in East TImor, and more recently the fact that people have been burning the shit out of rainforest there creating a massive haze over Southern East Asia.
Indonesia also just has tons of natural resources, I'd say overall it's very relevant.
>>
File: Flag_of_Lesotho.svg.png (36 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
Flag_of_Lesotho.svg.png
36 KB, 2000x1333
Lesotho and Swaziland. Micro-nations are generally irrelevant in Europe, but fucking micro nations in Africa? It's not even as if they've managed to keep themselves from being shit countries by being small like Seychelles and Comoros, they still have shit economies etc.
>>
>>666409
Rhodesia is a pretty dank meme though
>>
File: index.png (2 KB, 318x159) Image search: [Google]
index.png
2 KB, 318x159
Have they been relevant any time after the empire fell?
>>
File: prambanan-temple.jpg (187 KB, 800x528) Image search: [Google]
prambanan-temple.jpg
187 KB, 800x528
>>667257
the current republic is pretty underwhelming i agree, 4th largest pop in the world, shitload of resources and still irrelevant. wasnt always like that though. in the past there was the srivijaya thallasocratic empire which dominates the trade around the region with its navy until it was destroyed by consequent war with india. there is also the majapahit empire who dominated the entire archipelago plus malaysia and southern phillipines.
>>
>>666409
Malawi, Botswana, Swaziland, Zambia, and Lesotho for sure are hardly relevant. Others are debatable except Angola and Zimbabwe.
>>
>>667297
>consequent
*subsequent

oh fuck me i need to sleep
>>
>>667275
>micro nations in Afric
Does Rwanda counts as micronation?
>>
>>667247
would you look at that...
>>667259
totally forgot, maybe I was thinking of the country next to it... has Burkino Faso ever done anything?
>>
>>667309
Might not be relevant but the comeback story they have is pretty impressive
>>
>>667319
Burkina Faso is a pretty interesting place. It also had a terrorist attack not too long ago, but a little more severe. After independence from "French North Africa" this Marxist/Anti-Imperialist took power and wasn't an actual shithead; someone in his cadre arranged his assassination, took power, and I think he just got a couple years ago. Elections were just held and I guess we'll see how the new guy does.
>>
>>667275
Well they're somewhat fictive countries, especially Lesotho. They exist because South Africa said so, which is because they feel guilty and want to give the natives something, and also because they want to not be blamed for them having bad living conditions. They set up like 10 of these and for some reason those 2 got more recognition.
>>
>>667319
I should have said "no" to your question though. I don't think it's a key player even in regional politics.
>>
File: Oceania 2.0.png (18 KB, 434x558) Image search: [Google]
Oceania 2.0.png
18 KB, 434x558
I bet you can't even name all countries here. At least you can find fucking Zimbabwe on the map.
>>
>>667189
You are lost in 80's yankee propaganda m8
>>
>>667336
From the bottom

>trinidad and tobago
>grenada
>barbados
>st vincent and the grenadines (not marked on the map)
>st lucia
>martinique isn't a country
>dominica
>guadeloupe isn't a country either
>antigua and barbuda
>montserat isn't a couuntry
>st kitts and nevis
>st martin isn't a country
>>
>>667284
I think the empire means no matter how shit the country gets they will be relevant till the end of time tbqh
>>
>>667298
I understand how Zimbabwe could be seen as relevant, but why Angola? All I know about it is Portuguese Communist Africans?
>>
>>667309
Yes and no, it's small geographically but still has one of the highest populations in sub-saharan Africa even with the huge genocide.
>>
File: Bat'ka.jpg (2 MB, 1970x2614) Image search: [Google]
Bat'ka.jpg
2 MB, 1970x2614
>>667237
>Belarus
>>
>>667433
Yeah, and that was actually kind of important. It was a crazy long, bloody war. Could be considered a proxy war between the US and the Soviet Union (though they kinda got coaxed by Cuba into aiding Angola).
Lately though Angola is one of, if not the fastest growing economies in Africa. It's a member of OPEC and has tons of minerals. Will become a major site for foreign investment, I'm sure.
>>
>>667458
Ah didn't know about that, cheers for the info! I should really do more 20th century sub-Saharan African history
>>
>>665969

With the BIG exception of northern africa (at least before it became allah snackbar) then you're probably right
>>
Romania
>>
>>667189

Please end your life

Also, they claim a brazilian invented the first airplane
>>
>>666061
I'm Belgian and you're retarded.>>666366
>>
>>667727
Fuck off it was Richard Pearse
>>
>>667889
what?
>>
Threads about countries explicitly not having done anything in history is not historical discussion. Fuck off to >>>/int/
>>
>>665964
it was
>>
>>667458
I'm sure it will turn out fine

>Congo burns in distance
>Somalia melts
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.