[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /his/ what do you think of Extra History?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 4
File: EH.jpg (134 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
EH.jpg
134 KB, 1280x720
Hey /his/

what do you think of Extra History?
>>
Bad.
>>
I remember him for the 40 minute anunaki bird people spirit video
>>
>men came from Mars
>>
>>66180
You would be better off pirating Great Courses from the teaching company and using oxfordbibliographies and bookzz to supplement the courses with appropriate books.

Fuck pop history.
>>
>>66180
Unsourced and very leftist. Seriously, anybody who produces a history series on YouTube should have a decent set of citations.
>>
Simplified to the point of uselessness for anyone actually interested in history.
>>
>>66622
>Shows the Boers as innocent people caught up in politics and not a bunch of racists
>Leftists
>>
I liked their Punic Wars segment, although it really is elementary and some of their assumptions and numbers can be quite suspect. Their main purpose is probably to motivate retarded gamers to delve more into historical topics once they've been introduced to the material, so I'm not really going to hate on them.
>>
Interesting but overly simplified and filtered. Good to find an interesting periods you want to read up on

It led me to real crusades history which is a great channel
>>
These fags are awful at everything they do.
>>
>>66622
They have a guy do a segment after each series to tell you in depth about why he was sometimes inaccurate and talks about his sources, dubsatan.
>>
>>66779
That's because the saw the British as the Major oppressors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JG-5otw0O8&list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5Aq7g4bil7bnGi0A8gTsawu&index=25
>>
>>66859
Is that the lies one? I can't see a list of sources in the description. They should have at the very least a few books cited. The Great War channel does this, crash course and extra history should too.
>>
>>66896
Crash course usually does list it's book sources.
>>
>>66874
After they portrayed the Zulu leaders as crazy and incompetent leaders.
>>
>>66914
It does give some citations sure, but not nearly enough. I think if you are going to produce something on something as large as Charles V's life, for example, you should cite at least a half dozen historians in addition to sources for a 10 -15 minute episode.
>>
They're quite alright. Sometimes oversimplified and a little inaccurate (which they try to salvage with their lies episode).

They're not a substitute for *actual* history studies, but they appeal to the masses and can hopefully educate them a little more.
>>
>>66180
These guys along with John Green's shitty history channel are the worst.

Alright, /his/. What are some good history youtube channels?
>>
>>67074
Well obviously The Great War
>>
>>67074
"It's history"?
>>
>>67074
The Great War and it's history
>>
I thought they were a little leftist till i saw the zulu episode. I havent seen crusades or byzantines tho. Question for anyone who knows about justinian byzantium was there anything special about theodora? Why was she the face of byzantium in civ 5?
>>
>>67218
I don't know why she is for byzantium. Why is Dido Carthage instead of Hannibal? Why is Maria Theresa Austria instead of Charles V or Rudolf II?
>>
>>67010
I'd argue that it's better to give a focused overview through the lens your choose to do so and adding many historians could complicate that, and the point is to be reasonably simple crash courses which leaves you room to study more into it as the best thing that series does is put some effort into giving the viewer the tools to actually look at history, instead of just reading a book about something.
>>
>>67301
I still think that people should at least be aware of other interpretations of the history as opposed to simply John Green's or that hipster who runs Extra Credits interpretation. Both are pretty opinionated.
>>
>>67353
Green (well, the writer) does make that point to the viewer all the damn time though. He's always saying "this is how I choose to do it, other ways are cool too" sometimes he'll give a quick rubdown of them.

These are just the things crash course does right imo, dunno about extra history, extra credits is a joke so I never bothered but I imagine it's like crash course with worse writing, acting and is just less intelligent about the whole thing.
>>
>>67430
Yes, but be aware the majority of the people who watch crash course are more on the side of tumblr and I doubt that they would actually spend much time reading up on the subject to get other interpretations. Tumblrites need to be challenged intellectually and John Green does the exact opposite.
>>
>>67476
a 15 minute youtube video isn't going to do that though, you're asking it to play a game it isn't interested in playing, and is largely futile anyway.
>>
>>67500
Why not, you could easily summarise a bunch of different viewpoints in the video at the end in easy 2 to 3 minutes, my history teacher used to.
>>
File: mosque-of-djenne-500.jpg (36 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
mosque-of-djenne-500.jpg
36 KB, 500x333
>>67275
I think dido founded it. It makes me pretty mad when they fuck it up with trash leaders like that. Most of them are good if not the first pick then the top 5. But then theres songhai. Their leader is askia but theirs no songhai king named askia. The songhai word for king is askia. Its just so lazy and annoying. They could have done mohammad toure who was really cool. He spread islam and science through out the empire and on his pilgrimage to mecca built one of the greatest religous structures made of mud (pic related) and gave out so much gold in the egypt-arabian area that the price dropped for 12 years. Hed make a cool civ. Nice early game science and gold.
>>
>>67550
It would also be good if they had more civs in the base game, it'd be awesome to play as Khmer, Mali or the Sassanids for example.
>>
>>67539
Because then you wouldn't have a crash course on the topic any more, you'd have "here's a list of ways people think about this topic"

It'd be an interesting video series, but it's not what they're aiming for.
>>
>>67550
Reminder that the Mosque of Djenné was built by the French in 1906.
>>
>>66615
So I'm not the only with like a terrabyte of that shit download?
>>
>>67586
Maybe you're right, but I still think it should at least touch on different ways of looking at it, I mean in my country the lowest level of history qualification which is basically just reciting history requires some acknowledgement of historians.

What angers me however is that schools have started using them as teaching tools with little elaboration.
>>
>>67218
They pretty much had a boner for Justinian

>there's a secret history that called Theodora a whore and Justinian a demon but that's just slander
>>
Is it as bad as when it was about video games?
>>
>>67722
Its more entertaining but its about as bad.
>>
>>66180
I'm liking it; this guy, >>67022, has it right.

>>67660
In fairness it IS considered to be probably slanderous by a majority of historians. If they were trying to obfuscate in favor of Justinian then they wouldn't have brought up the Secret History at all.
>>
Never heard of these guys. What makes them so bad? (both shows)
>>
>>67578
Bruh i want the boers as a real civ. With like wagon cities.
>>67610
Cant tell if meme or nah.
>>
>>67275
Hannibal never actually lead Carthage in any real sense; he was just a general, whereas Dido was an actual queen.

>>67550
Askia in Civ 5 is, in fact, supposed to represent Askia Mohammad I (Mohammed Toure), also known as Askia the Great.

Basically it's not any different from how they have the Roman leader named Augustus rather than Octavianus; or the Mongol leader is named Genghis Khan rather than Timujin. More popular and well-known name for the same person.
>>
>>67892
I am well aware of Hannibal not being a leader of Carthage, but when people think Carthage they think Hannibal. Was Bismarck a leader of Germany? How about Oda Nobonaga?
>>
>>66180
>ATLANTIS SQUAREPANTIS
I worry about this guy's secret agenda.
>>
>>67842
Pic related, what it looked like before the French built the current one.

>Dubois revisited Djenné in 1910 and was shocked by the new building. He believed that the French colonial administration were responsible for the design and wrote that it looked like a cross between a hedgehog and a church organ. He thought that the cones made the building resemble a baroque temple dedicated to the god of suppositories.[10]
>>
>>67921
>Was Bismarck a leader of Germany? How about Oda Nobonaga?
Yes and yes
>>
>>67921
>Was Bismarck a leader of Germany

He was the first Chancellor of Germany and arguably led the nation much more than either Wilhelm or Friedrich.

>>67921
>How about Oda Nobonaga?

In fairness he got the ball rolling and had conquered a third of Japan by the time of his death.
>>
>>68048
No, Bismarck was chancellor, Oda Nobonaga never united Japan, if anything it should be Tokugawa Leyasu or maybe Toyotomi Hideoshi
>>
>>68062
Well in the same breath I could say that Hannibal prolonged Carthage's existence by a sizeable time span.
>>
>>66840
This essentially. They know their audience: qsuedo-intellects who want to be able to argue history but with their narrative in mind.
>>
>>68088 >>68070
Hannibal never had any actual, recognized political control over Carthaginian affairs, however. Both Bismarck and Nobunaga did have political control over the affairs of Germany and Japan, respectively.

Basically putting Hannibal in command of the Carthaginians is a bit like making a Confederate nation led by Robert E. Lee.
>>
>>68070
>Oda Nobonaga never united Japan, if anything it should be Tokugawa Leyasu or maybe Toyotomi Hideoshi

Nobunaga pounds the national rice cake, Hideyoshi kneads it, and in the end Ieyasu sits down and eats it.
>>
>>68119
Yeah, John "Pravda" Green and Extra Octobrists.
>>
>>68130
>Ieyasu
This nigga should have been the leader of Japan. Oda Nobunaga is a more romantic figure though I guess, with the warlording and such. Japan themselves have a huge boner for him.

It's like how the American leader is always Washington when if you really want to go with the dude who shaped American government it should be Jefferson.
>>
>>68128
I could see Lee as a confederate leader desu, but even so, they may have had political control but they weren't leaders. Its like putting John Pym in Control of England

>>68130
I understand there was still opposition to Oda when he was assassinated.
>>
>>67892
Hannibal after loosing the war vecame the leader of carthage m8 he actually improved carthage and made the nobles even more mad
>>
>>68180
I want it to be James K. Polk.

No one remembers James K. Polk, even though under his presidency America acquired more land than in every previous land-acquisition (including the Louisiana Purchase) combined.
>>
>>68189
>they may have had political control but they weren't leaders
>>
>>66180

that guy has such a fucking annoying voice, can't fucking stand him.
>>
>>68210
Are you retarded? He went into exile for the rest of his days takimg refuge from Roman assassins in foreign courts until he died.
>>
>>66180
Just watched all of it. .Pretty good for pop history. For the sake of just being an entertaining Youtube series, it's fine. Not like any future academics are going to cite it as a source.

>>66622
>It's on youtube so it's leftist!

It's really not though? With John Green he self admittedly takes the marxist people's view of history and dismisses the great man stuff, but the guy who writes these says has the (correct) view that the nature of history lies somewhere in between. If people are looking at pop history from a neutral person like that then it is fine.
>>
>>68210
True, but that's not the Hannibal that they usually put in charge of Carthage. Rather it's a young Hannibal, around the Punic Wars time.

Personally were I going for a leader of Carthage I would pick Hanno I the Great.
>>
>>68266
Never said youtube was leftist, Its history and the Great War don't seem to be particular leftist.
>>
>>68263
Hannibal didn't go into exile until 195 BC (seven years after the Battle of Zama). Prior to that he was Chief Magistrate of Carthage.

You should get your history from more than just your old copy of the Age of Empires rulebook.
>>
>>68288
They're also fine. I just don't get how Extra History is leftist. It's just kinda romanticised stuff, but there's no agenda behind it.
>>
>>68444
They seem to be anti imperialist (see their Zulu series), which is a trait of the left.
>>
>>68444
Should have really added this to the other post, but I forgot to mention what that hipster looking guy does outside his youtube channel. He is very much a neoprogressive :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2pQLFevEMI

Also, read the comments on the video, The hipster sent the hate mob on them.
>>
>>68470
I dunno, they thought that Justinian and Belisarius were awesome. And it's not like they painted the Zulus as being saints, either.
>>
>>68470
One does not need to be a leftist to be an anti-imperialist, and anti-imperialism doesnt necesarily mean "anti-western" or "anti-white"
>>
>>68583
I never said that, but the majority of anti imperialist people I have met are leftists
>>
If their history videos are as bad as their video game videos, they are shit.
>>
>>66874
well the British were
>>
>>68684
And the boers they put in charge of South africa weren't? What about Hendrik Verwoerd sound British to you? Yet they depict them positively.
>>
>>68633
Most people are anti imperialist
>>
>>66308
I'm glad I'm not the only one who had to witness that high pitched monstrosity of Bullshit: Pre History edition.

I'm gonna assume the rest of his videos are extremely left wing and have added in commentary about spirits and giant snakes that live in the earth.
>>
>>68835
Most people are leftist, at least where I live.
>>
>>68730
Hendrik Verwoerd did his thing nearly a century after the Anglo-Zulu War. The video talks about the Boers as they were in the time frame covered, not in later or earlier eras.

What you're doing is basically like having a discussion about the Okhrana and saying it was the greatest spy network ever, and then using examples of the KGB and GRU in action as proof.
>>
>>68470
Didn't get that impression. It was a focus on the Zulu and colonialism was the reason for the fall of their empire. So boo him for mentioning empire at all I guess?

I don't know. I personally couldn't give two shits about video game politics, but I feel in regard to history they take a more wide-eyed wonder approach to it. Like I originally said, pop history, but pop history that actively encourages people to look more into the topics. Not like John Green's stuff, which is more "Hey look, this is all of history, I cited my sources so don't worry about checking into stuff".
>>
>>68869
The Extra History videos? Not even one. There is one about the South Sea trading bubble, though. That was fun.
>>
>>68684
British were just spreading civilization to savages desu.
Eventually once this liberal fad has blown over it will be remembered much like the Roman Empire, with respect and admiration.
>>
>>68730
rooting for the Boers aren't exactly what you call leftist
>>
Can't be worse than John Greene
>>
>>68882
Remember that US and western europe aren't the whole world
In nearly every other place most people are anti imperialist wether left or right winged
>>
Dan Carlin is about 20 times better. He gives sources.
>>
>>68905
Yes, but my point is that the Boers were and still are generally pretty racist. I was just providing an example, an maybe I am overgeneralising.

>>68908
I got the impression that he was anti british at least, but maybe I am sensitive to that kind of stuff. I also never really got the impression that they tried to encourage people to look elsewhere (could well be wrong).
>>
He actually glosses over the first Punic War intentionally.
>>
>>68949
Slamming the british isn't what I would call right wing, they just seem to be rooting for the side that seems oppressed

>>68994
You're probably right, I haven't ever experienced the culture of central asia, for example. The thing is that i think most people are anti imperialist until their nation is the empire.
>>
>>68934
America, Canada, and Australia will, and maybe Asia (not too certain for India)

but I doubt Africa will

on the flipside American imperialism will be loved by all (except the Native Americans).
>>
>>66180
Even worst than John Green.
>>
>>69060
But they slammed the Zulu's as well

really the Boers were the only ones they showed in a positive light throughout the series. Which is something leftist just don't do.
>>
>>69015
> I was just providing an example

It's a bad example because it's 100 years out of date. Find some atrocities or acts of racism within the time-frame covered by the videos, significant enough to bring up during the course of the videos and within the context of the videos (i.e., if in this one place one time ten white killed ten blacks, that really doesn't have much of a bearing on the Anglo-Zulu War) and then we can have a discussion.

>>69043
Well, Patreon funded a video for the second, so that's what he was covering. He did say that he'd love to do a video on the first one, though.
>>
File: 1445201676932.jpg (56 KB, 560x407) Image search: [Google]
1445201676932.jpg
56 KB, 560x407
>>66180
I can't stand that fucking voice modulator, so I haven't watched it. It could be actually really good for all I know.
>>
>>68994
Most people were on the receiving end of imperialism in recent memory
Nobody likes being opressed and its hard to endorse imperialism today without sounding hypocritical even in the west
>>
Their crusades videos have that "Islam dindu nuffin, they was good boys who only wanted to do science until the ebil Christians came" meme that everyone knows is bullshit, but their Punic War one wasn't terrible.
>>
>>69400
no most of that video was "these guys killed more Christians than Muslims"

I think you are confusing it with Crash Course
>>
>>68180
>Ieyasu all that nigga did is wait for his betters to die and let his son rule in his stead afterwards.
It was his grandson Iemitsu that set the frame work for the Tokugawa Shogunate to survive 200 years.
>>
>>69400
>Their crusades videos have that "Islam dindu nuffin, they was good boys who only wanted to do science until the ebil Christians came" meme

Nah
>>
>>69281
That voice is omega annoying, but I've gotten through it and realized that over time they've been slowly cutting down on it from video to video. I think they're slowly realizing how hard it is to listen to a voice like that and try to take it seriously.
You should watch their videos, though, because they are generally pretty good and they try pretty hard to correct/talk about any facts that they got wrong and teach things how they were.
>>
>>68211
>Jackson rip-off
>true leader
>>
>>66180
extra history is pretty dope
>>
The annoying voice and the fact they don't reveal their sources (that's like the basics of revealing history) is a good fault against them.

Still love the Yi videos though I wonder if Korean government was just that corrupt and incompetent.
>>
>>69116
I don't think they slammed the Zulus as much as they did the british

>>69208
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leliefontein_massacre

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=USMKAAAAQBAJ&pg=PA391&lpg=PA391&dq=racist+attitudes+boers&source=bl&ots=o-fAw5zd62&sig=Oi6H5PLFU0Ysqb1zslluRGBFwNA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDsQ6AEwA2oVChMIgOLWx7ryyAIVyjY-Ch1T-Q0k#v=onepage&q=racist%20attitudes%20boers&f=false

There has also been mentioning of a book called the covenant or something that details it better than these links.
>>
>>70017
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leliefontein_massacre

HAPPENED IN 1902, TWENTY-THREE YEARS AFTER THE ANGLO-ZULU WAR.

I fully acknowledge that the Boers did bad things, but FOCUS ON THE TIME-FRAME OF THE VIDEOS POSTED. What did the Boers do in the lead-up to and during the Anglo-Zulu War that merits highlighting?

LEARN TO READ.
>>
It's a decent enough time killer

I kind of wish they'd just rip CK2 a new asshole though, I want those Swedes to feel bad for how small that game's team is; so many things are wrong with it and they only want to churn out more expansions that will just clutter shit in an attempt to further distract people from the play-d'oh map.
>>
>>70017
>British failed because they underestimated the Zulus too much, when they got their shit together they raped them properly

>Zulus failed because their leaders were insane dicks and it only got worse after Shaka

I say they slammed them more than the British.
>>
>>66622
Compliments on your digits.
>OBSERVED
>>
>>70111
Well if that won't satisfy you look at the book that I was mentioning. Not the google one linked, thats just world history, but the one I named,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Covenant_(novel)
>>
>>70121
Every time I told myself I should play CK2, I remember how badly represented the feudal system is in the game, not to mention the complete fuckery that is the Islamic world, the whole Vikingboo shit, the "epic dark souls memes" in the Zunist, the fact that the Nizari Ismailites are a "military order" (!) comparable to the Latin christian ones, the whole Cathar church with female priests (which is completely bollocks) and a large etc.
I can't bring myself to enjoy that muc hof the game without thinking in the wasted potential that it is.
>>
>>69925
>I wonder if Korean government was just that corrupt and incompetent
Very much so. I could make a list but first and foremost anyone who demoted the man saving their nation to buck private twice doesn't have it together
>>
>>70121
Not as bad as EU4
>>
>>70200
The Covenant is a historical NOVEL. I trust it to be informative about the Boers about as much as I trust Island in the Sea of Time to be informative about the Celts and Olmecs.
>>
>>66180
Pretentious trash that frequently gets things wrong despite the fact that they rarely get into any significant detail.
>>
>>70236
On top of all their bullshit you can't even have faithful muslim wives in a muslim realm; typically horny bastards target your closest relatives ASAP which is shit icing on the shit cake.

I don't know whether I want to pin that on lazy programmers, swedes being swedes, or the small team.
>>
>>70357
>frequently gets things wrong

like what?
>>
>>70252
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrikaner_nationalism#Afrikaner_nationalism_and_race

Wikipedia is a shit source I know, but it is clear that there were racist sentiments in the Afrikaners in the 19th century.
>>
>>70394
>Wikipedia is a shit source I know, but it is clear that there were racist sentiments in the Afrikaners in the 19th century.

And I doubt the Zulus felt much better about it. Is ANY of it relevant to the videos about the Anglo-Zulu War and its leadup?
Thread replies: 117
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.