[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Family Military History
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7
There are so many battles that have faded into oblivion /his/, so let's rummage in our family histories and dig out what we can.

Post here battles and wars where your ancestors fought in. Everything goes, apart from the last 25 years - /his/ rules. I'll start:

>1806 Battle of Misar - Some of my ancestors were recruited from Montenegro by Karadjordje (Serbian Uprising leader) himself. They were experienced from the constant wars against the Turks, unlike most of the Serb fighters. In the Battle, the older men walked in the back rows, holding swords at the back of the Serbs, so they don't flee. The small force of Serbs/Montenegrins utterly annihilated the Turkish force. As payment my ancestors received huge areas of land (that formerly belonged to the Turks) - where they still live even today.
>WW1 - A great-grandfather fought at the Battle of Cer, Battle of Kolubara, and volunteered at the Battle of Mojkovac. He said the bloodiest (bayonet) fighting he had seen in his life was at Mojkovac. In the second half of the war, in a minor battle on the Macedonian front, he captured a bunker by himself, disobeying orders from an officier. He killed all Austrians inside, and lost an arm. He was decorated with the highest awards.
>WW2 - A great-grandfather fought from the start of the Partisan uprising in Montenegro from 1941, to the end. So did his 7 brothers and a sister, all of whom perished, but he.
>Another great-grandfather was drafted in the Syrmian Front at the end of the war, where he protected a captured German soldier from getting tortured and abused by his fellow Partisans

That's it, a bit meager. Hope you guys have some better stories.
>>
Some of my ancestors probably were involved in the two invasions of Korea by Hideyoshi.

Considering their region, they probably did well. The Lord of their area was the best performer in that invasion and the troops of that region were called devils by the Chinese and Koreans.
>>
I had an ancestor who fought in the American revolution when he was in his 70s.
>>
>grandfather fought in mozambique for Portugal against the revolution. Lots of black People didn't want the revolution and fought alongside the Portugese troops. There were many little bands of looters and rebels who killed anyone opposing them. My grandfather was in the military camp defending the camp and his family.
>WWI some relative fought in flanders for Portugal. Biggest battle was bataille de la lys
>probably some more wars but the stories weren't passed. Although one of my ancestors was called Guerrero which was given to soldiers and fighters who showed prowess on the battlefield
>>
Grandfather arrived in Europe with the Army just before the Battle of the Bulge. He survived the war and died of a heart attack on the golf course a few years before I was born. Kinda sucks, he sounds like a really cool guy according to my family.
>>
>>882951
I have ancestors that fought in the Battle of Waterloo, one as a hussar for Napoleon, another as a Foot Soldier for Prince William
>>
File: nightattack.jpg (170 KB, 1740x945) Image search: [Google]
nightattack.jpg
170 KB, 1740x945
>>882951
I find it not at all unlikely that at least one of my ancestors fought in the Night Attack, which is IMO the most badass battle ever fought.

I also do not exclude the possiblity that one of them might have been Vlad Țepeș, considering how prolific romanian rulers used to be in that time.
>>
know that some of my ancestor fought in Indochina in the 1800s in the foreign legion. They had done some "pranks" in Finland and had to skip town fast.
>>
>>882969
Shimazu Stronk
>>
One ancestor was general of the Empire, another was an officier of the Empire, and became minister of war of the Second Empire and Marshal of France. Most of my great-grandfathers fought in WWI, one of the French ones has a long list of feats, I actually have the official "Souvenirs of the Great War" paper describing them but it is nearly illegible by now unfortunately. He was actually filthy rich and could have avoided the war with ease but enlisted out of boredom, refusing to go in as an officier as that would be boring too, and visibly he got what he was asking for. Other great-grandfather from Australia fought in Belgium and got a Victoria Cross after capturing a machine gun nest solo.
Both grandfathers fought in WWII, one with the FFL after escaping France through Spain, the other as an artilleryman in the Pacific.
>>
File: 2eHussars.jpg (188 KB, 890x1380) Image search: [Google]
2eHussars.jpg
188 KB, 890x1380
>>883025
>one as a hussar for Napoleon,
>less than 2000 French hussars at waterloo
do you know which regiment?
>>
One of the most important battles would be the 2nd siege of Vienna I guess, in which one of muh ancestors fucked up at defending the rear of the Ottoman army.
>>
My ancestors have fought in every single major American war. But some of them never served in major battles to my knowledge.

Rev. War
> Battle of Cowpens

Civ. War for Confederacy
>Battle of Fort Donelson
>Battle of Shiloh
>Rode with Nathaniel B. Forrest

World War Two
>Invasion of the Philippines 1944
>Battle for Luzon
>Battle of Okinawa
>D-Day Invasion
>Battle of the Bulge
>Invasion of Italy

Vietnam War
>Battle of la Drang

I also had a Russian ancestor die during the Russo-Japanese War.
>>
>>883766
Any stories?
>>
>>882951
>tfw your ancestors conquered Constantinople
>>
>>883811
Any American war I have a story from a relative/ancestor.
>>
>>883911
Then post them here my friend.
>>
One of my ancestors was in the rough riders in the Spanish American war. Other than that we have a fighter pilot in Vietnam, a soldier in the Pacific in ww2, a doctor in desert storm and supposedly history in the Swiss mercenaries.
>>
>>884075
>Be my relative
>Enlist in the army for 2 years
>Get pissed when have to go to 'Nam
>Almost thrown into jail
>Go into Vietnam anyway
>Military advisor with 5 other Americans in South Viet base
>Get attacked by NVA
>Battle lasts all day
>South VIets turn sides
>All Americans massacred
>Relative escapes into the jungle
>Recruits a local Hmong tribe to help him
>They return to the South Viet base and retake it
>Relative executes every Viet who surrendered himself
>>
>>884137
>Viet Relative again, call him T
>T serves in Vietnam for one year before being shot in leg
>While in 'Nam he fights along side a group of SF called the "Head Hunters"
>One of the Head Hunters was a crazy Ukranian
>Humping throughout the Vietnamese jungle near Cambodia
>Come across small Vietnamese fishing village
>Gunshots come from a fishing hut in the village
>Can't get permission from HQ to engage
>Camp out near the village waiting for word to engage
>T falls asleep
>Wakes up and Ukrainian gone
>Scour the area but Ukrainian gone
>Go near village and see heads on spikes
>Ukrainian comes out of the village all bloody
>Went and decapitated all the NVA while the other soldiers slept
>Mounted their heads on spikes
>>
My grandfather served in the U.S. merchant marine during WW2. In his young 20s, he was 2nd mate aboard an EC2 "Liberty Ship" when the ship was torpedoed in the South Pacific. The ship started going down and, no joking, the captain and 1st mate took off on the only motorized lifeboat. He got the rest of the crew into the unmotorized lifeboats, and navigated them to an island somewhere near Tonga, where they were stranded for around 2 weeks, living off of crabs. No bullshit.
>>
>>884176
Did the guys in the motor lifeboat make it to civilization?

If they did and didn't get help, I'd be ready to kill a motherfucker.
>>
>>884183
I'm actually not sure. I'd love to ask him but he passed away back in 2005.
>>
>>884161
>T in Vietnam still
>1965-1966ish
>Humping with a different military outfit through the jungle
>He spent a lot of time with this one
>Built some good friendships with these guys
>NVA ambush
>Pinned down by intense fire from AK-47s
>Group of around 30+ US soldiers
>36 NVA soldiers firing from a line in the jungle
>T's best friends go down
>T gets angry
>Gets covering fire from platoon
>Flanks NVA position
>Kills every single NVA soldier doing the ambushing
>Recommended for MoH
>THreatens to kill everyone who recommended him for the Medal of Honor
>Given Silver Star instead
>Brought home NVA scarf from Ambusher
>Spits on it every time he takes it out
>>
>>882951
WE WUZ GREAT WARRIORS N SHEET
>>
>>884203
He has a bunch of other stories that I have only been told in fragments from other relatives. He claims to have sniped a NVA major.He would've been a Green Beret but he broke his leg during airborne training. He got shot in the leg and was sent to West Germany to command a tank battalion.

He mostly talks about Germany. A black guy in the army stole one of his tanks and drove it down a German city, then pointed the gun at T's jeep before coming out of the hatch wasted. T sent a group of tanks up a hill once, but one tank started sliding down cuz the hill was too steep. The tank went right through a german's house. He also remembers doing stand-offs with the Russians. Both sides would line their troops up and face each other. He said that every time he saw their huge numbers he thought to himself that if war was ever declared the US in West Germany would be demolished.
>>
File: sad jack.gif (384 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
sad jack.gif
384 KB, 500x375
>>882951
One of my ancestors fought against raiding Magyars inside of Poland.

My ancestors were the only people farming in a large area of south-east Poland at the time. The Polish army marched through, and they asked anyone that could to join them as they marched through to meet the Hungarians.
The four boys joined up immediately. Y'know... muh heritage of resistance and all.

They sent all four boys into combat against the invading Asiatics. Two died the first day. The other two perished over the course of several other skirmishes. A noble noticed as they marched back home that the farmer waited day in and out for his boys.

Told them the news, he was crushed. Decided to recommend that the peasant man get some kind of noble title for his sons' brave deeds. It actually happens. Peasant now title holder had a daughter. She marries a nobody who takes her in matrilineal marriage. One of the sons out of that relationship is my direct "patrilineal" ancestor.
>tfw I actually lack my family's y-chromosome
>>
>>884792
Now of course, this is all a passed down story from many generations. I would post the facts I found both in literature and online on this story... but that'd reveal my family name and I am not tryna lose my anonymity on this website
>>
I don't know too much about my family's history pre-1900, but here's a few tibits from WWII.

>Nazis occupy Warsaw
>great grandfather is an Italian so Nazis don't completely screw him over
>he's a civil engineer living in the outskirts of the city in a really nice house he designed, some Nazi officer wants to use it as his command post
>smooth talks the officer and is allowed to keep his house if he gives the Nazis food from his garden
>this is very good because he is hiding Jews in the basement
>this is also very bad because he was feeding said Jews with food from the garden
>most Jews end up surviving, some end up starving to death
>my grandfather had to cut their corpses into tiny pieces and smuggle them out of the house

>my family on my mother's side is spread throughout Eastern Europe, the Baltics, Scandinavia, and Germany
>as such there are family connections everywhere that remain unknown
>some distant cousin living in Nazi occupied Poland is rounded up with some other civilians, papers confiscated, about to be executed
>officer pauses the shooting, pulls my cousin out of the line and pardons him
>apparently while reviewing their identity cards, he realized he was related to a Nazi soldier the officer knew who was recently awarded the Iron Cross

>grandmother and her fiance are officers in the Polish Home Army
>fiance dies fighting in the Warsaw Uprising

>my grandfather is a boy during the Nazi invasion of Lithuania
>helps anti-aircraft crews fend off the invasion
>positions get overrun, flees into the countryside
>completely separated from family
>walks east, eating roots and grass to stay alive
>runs into the Russians who enslave him and have him work on railroads until allied victory
>>
Gallipoli tbqh
>>
>>885127
Also, my father grew up the road from Wladyslaw Szpilman of "The Pianist" and was best friends with his son growing up.
>>
>>884203
>>Brought home NVA scarf from Ambusher
>>Spits on it every time he takes it out

sounds real angry
>>
Maniago Revolt Against the Spanish in the Philippines.
I'm descended from one of the clans that were involved in the revolt.

Have several ancestors that served in the Spanish Army as officers, our ethnic group was the only ethnic group to be allowed to be officers in the Spanish Army.

I know at least one guy who fought in the American side, he was in the Macabebe Scouts which was later renamed the Philippines Scouts.

A distant relative of mine was the Huk Supremo, the Leader of the Communist guerrillas back in WWII. He led a Communist insurgency against the Philippine government after the war. He died in 2005.

My great-grandfather on my mother's side was a major in the Philippine Constabulary, he was killed by a communist.
>>
My mother looked into my father's side and told me that I'm descended directly down the male line from a father and a son who both fought in the Revolutionary War. The father died at Valley Forge and the son was only 14 when he fought. I don't really believe any of it. My mom traces her side back to a clan of Germans that relocated to the States after the patriarch survived as an officer in Bismarck's three wars of unification.
>>
File: Jean_Rapp_3.jpg (85 KB, 487x677) Image search: [Google]
Jean_Rapp_3.jpg
85 KB, 487x677
>tfw grandfather traced back our ancestry to Jean Rapp ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Rapp )
>saved Napoleon twice
based as fuck
>>
>>882951
My great grandpa defended silkroad at the beginning of 20th century(it disappeared after WW1 and revolution). Don't recall much, but he often talked about fighting with steppe people.

Then he got moved to the Eastern Front.
>>
>>882951
Balkan brofist
>great-great-grandfather is Muslim way in the northwest corner of Bosnia
>supports Serbia for some reason in WW1
>fights against Austrians
>granted shitton of land by King of Yugoslavia after war

>great-grandfather dies clearing out an Ustase or Italian or Cetnik bunker at the very end of WW2
>this great-grandfather's daughter was my grandmother, and three of her five brothers died in combat against anti-Partisans in WW2

>other great-grandfather was partially deaf, didn't have to serve

>grandfather's older brother named Husein Vukovic was in the Waffen SS
>probably died in Bleiburg massacres, but stories of him surviving in Austria or Germany or moving to US/Argentina are told

>almost exactly 25 years ago War in Bosnia began
>my dad and other relatives fought that whole war, 1991 to 1995
>>
File: Finnish warrior.png (65 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
Finnish warrior.png
65 KB, 720x720
>thirty years war
some dutch mercenary that married a finnish camp woman and became founder of the family line
>northern war
same dude as above.
>the great northern war
his sons. died due to infected wound after battle of narva. his brother survived the same battle and became my forefather.
(their father, didn't participate in combat but disappears from history during russian occupation of today's finland, prob. murdered when most of the village was burnt down)
>pomeranian war
last dude's grandson
>finnish war
and his son and grandson
>eastern front of the great war
my great-grandfather and his brother
>finnish civil war
same, papa survived, unca died
>viena expedition
great-grandfather again
>aunus expedition
and again
>mäntsälä rebellion
and again
>winter war
his son, so my father's father. old man tried to enlist too but they said he had too bad heart
>continuation war
and his son again

great warrior lineage it is that i come from
>>
My great uncle was an admiral in WW1 for Germany https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinhard_Scheer
In WW2 Hitler had named a battleship after him, while my relatives were in the American army
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
15 KB, 480x360
My maternal ancestor was a Southern Baptist missionary from Tennessee. He went to china and converted Hong Xiuquan. ...whoops
>>
>>886714
Why!!!
>>
>>886714

Dirty bastard.
>>
>>883766
>Battle of Cowpens

muh nigga, my ancestor fought their too.
>>
My ancestors have lived in southern ukraine pre-alexander so I wouldn't be spied if they were involved in fighting along there either for or against the Romans.
My great 2xgreat grandfather fought for Pavel Chichagov during the battle of berezina and somehow survived.
My grandfather on my mother's side fought in ww2 in North Africa but I don't know which regiment because all the documentation is in Belfast.
My uncle served two tours in afghanistan as a c-130 Hercules pilot and in east Timor.
>>
>>883511
He was a Dutch/flemish hussar in French service, other than that I don't know (I know his name too, but won't post for obvious reasons)
>>
>>882951
My dad did some research, and apparently Miles Standish was our ancestor, and he slew many an Indian, so brutally that even other colonists think he went too far.
>>
>>882951
My grandfather was at the battle of Hamburg in 1945 at age 17.

>Opa Joined the hitler youth like everyone his age did,
>Gets stationed manning AA gun on Sylt because that's 100% where planes were gonna be coming from
>Does nothing for a year and a half and gets to go home on weekends as he was 16/17 at the time.
>April 1945
>"Get the wawda nigga it's going down"
>Is sent to hamburg with Hitler youth buddies to support German devisions,
>"Defend this bridge with your lives"
>Germans blow up bridge to stop allied advance.
>Him and a friend hear bombers coming too
>Gramps:"Hartmut , Lets go home"
> And that's exactly what they did.
The end.

by the time they'd walked home to where I call home now Allies had occupied Schleswig-Holstein and were very nice to him and his friend.
>>
>>887652
Great Great Grandfather and Great Grandfather deserted somewhere near France just before the end of WW1, got away with it as it was so close to the end no one really gave a fuck but they never liked to speak about it to my grandfather.
>>
>>886647
noice
I don't know that far but grandfather / his father fought in civil war, winter war and continuation war for sure, grandma served in lotta svärd in continuation war.
Uncle served in couple of peacekeeping tours at least in Lebabnon and somewhere else.
>>
Apparently I have ancestors who fought on the side of Oliver Cromwell.
>>
>>886647
Any more spec stories? I like this.
>>
>>883002
A loyal man, anão ; ;
>>
I forget what it was but I had a Great-Grandfather on my mothers side who fought in wwi and fought against turks or something and he was one of like 300 people that survived. Anyone have any idea what the battle might be? Not even sure if it's wwi.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.