[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where there any ancient civilizations that did not practice slavery
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (128 KB, 426x599) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
128 KB, 426x599
Where there any ancient civilizations that did not practice slavery or if did, had a more humane approach to slavery than their contemporaries?
>>
File: Boxer Codex-103.jpg (163 KB, 450x632) Image search: [Google]
Boxer Codex-103.jpg
163 KB, 450x632
>>873153
Slavery is pretty much jailtime for Southeast Asian nigs. Here in Pre-colonial Philippines societies, you enter slavery when you get convicted by council of:
>failure to pay a debt.
>Stole something from the family that caused them financial ruin.
>Fucked a daughter of the family out of marriage and she ended up pregnant.
And other crimes I couldnt remember. But the fact of the matter is: no slavery is permanent. You're let go once your dues are paid in full. Either determined by law or by the family. If the family a dick you can tell the chieftain.

Being taken in war is another matter entirely though. People can sell you to the Chinese/Muslims/Indians.
>>
>>873153
Rome.
>>
>>873153
>>873271

I would definitely have to agree with Roman slavery, but only for some parts, and it really depends what time period you're talking about. Slaves did have a lot of options coming out of slavery though, as they had the ability to vote and partially participate in politics (only men from what I've read.

Quite a few slaves, however, dealt with incredibly harsh punishments for disobeying their masters. For example, 6000 rebel slaves were crucified along the Appian Way.

Slave life became a lot easier when Emperor Claudius came into power, and declared that any slave abandoned by their master was to be free. It also became easier when Nero gave slaves the right to complain about their masters in court.

But, overall, slavery in ancient Rome could be considered excellent when compared to what American slavery was for a long time.
>>
>>873271
Maybe if you were an educated Greek being a slave wouldn't be too bad

But being sent to a mine would be absolute hell
>>
Ancient Persia

Zoroastrianism forbids slavery
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.