[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any Historically Interesting Relatives?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: paddys.jpg (46 KB, 624x352) Image search: [Google]
paddys.jpg
46 KB, 624x352
>>
>>65677
Douglas MacArthur. My dad always mentioned how he would praise how beautiful the country was and came to see it himself. [spoiler]Then I was born as a result of yellow fever.[/spoiler]

Pretty much all of my family had something to do with the military, including the women.
>>
Great great great grandpa or something was the hunting buddy of keiser Wilhelm II
>>
>>65868
By the country I'm referring to the Philippines. I am not wide awake right now.
>>
>>65677
Grandpa fought in Vietnam as leutinant of Soviet Anti Air forces (ПBO).
>>
>>65677

Jimmy Carter was my grandmother's 2nd or 3rd cousin I think. We have a Medal of Honor recipient in the family too. Her lineage(the only part of my family that has a chronicled geneology) goes back to the very first settlers in Jamestown, all the way to William the Conqueror. One of my ancestors is speculated to be the bastard son of Roger De Mortimer and Queen Isabella but I've read that's probably bullshit.
>>
>>65677
My Great Great Granddad was a minor noble in Russia and fought in WW1 and in the civil war for the whites.
>>
Great grandmothers cousin died on the final day of ww1 in that famous battle where the only objective was too capture a town so the soldiers could take baths.
>>
One of my mother's relatives served for the French Foreign Legion in Africa and did some mercenary work after that too.
>>
Charlemagne. That doesn't count, as half of West-Europe is his great x30-grandchild or something.
>>
Asa Candler and Robert E Lee
>>
>>66479
I dont know who told you this, but they were severely misguided
>>
On my great grandmother's side, we're related to the Kennedy's.

I live in her house right now which we've owned for over a hundred years as a family home.

Also, I've a friend who is a distant relative to Che Guevara.
>>
Ancestor was an officer in the American Revolution, another had to escape the french revolution because his uncle was Marie Antoinette's confessor. I'm the descendant of a Bavarian Baron.
>>
>>65677
One of my ancestors distinguished himself at Gettysburg during a cavalry charge, I think. To be honest I don't know much about it, except that his name is one one of the larger memorials there.
>>
Direct descendant from William G Harding Feels bad man.
>>
Shakespeare
A lot of people are actually
>>
>>66867
Was he a randy hornbucket or something?
>>
No one really interesting unfortunately. Pretty much everybody was a small scale farmer. One guy went with Napoleon to Russia and came back alive, but that's the most interesting figure my family knows about.
>>
On my father's side we have an austrian general or colonel (can't be arsed to remember which one is correct) who got rekt by Napoléon.
On my mother side we're related to the Dukes of Savoy.
>>
>>65677
My dad has spent years researching family tree stuff and has found distant relatives that fought on both sides of the Murican Civil war and a southern slave owner
>>
>>66950
>went with Napoleon to Russia and came back alive
that's pretty interesting
>>
My great-grandfather was a Russian small nobleman who fled the October Revolution to Finland.
>>
great great grandpa was armourer for the Romanian king while his cousin was a royal guard
>>
>>66876
Shakespeare was a horny bastard
>>
My grandmother was Gagarin's childhood friend.

Well, more like Gagarin's childhood friend's clingy little sister.
>>
Great-grandmother held a fundraiser for JFK at her house when he was in Congress. Before that she lived next to his grandfather, former mayor Fitzgerald
>>
>>65677

>emigrated to the U.S. in 1701
>family split up and spread out to 4 different areas
>slave owners in Florida
>slave owners in Missouri
>fought in every major U.S. War since the French and Indian War

We built this country and many Southern cities are named after my family (unique last name).
>>
>>65677
I'm related to the Duke of Wellington through my mother's side of the family.

Not a direct descendant so it's not very impressive.
>>
>>65677
Grandfather fought in the battle of Kursk and lived, had his knee badly injured because of an explosive though
>>
>>67263
>he used to be a soldier until he got an explosive to the knee
>>
My grandad guarded Rudolf Hess when Hess was in a German prison
>>
My mother's side of the family is very rich, they were plantation owners and still own large chunks of land in Virginia.

Also related to Daniel Boone
>>
>>67263
he was going to fight in Kiev... until he took an explosive to the knee
>>
My grandmother's sister's husband was a fighter of EOKA (Cypriot guerilla fighters who fought against the British for Enosis with Greece during 1955-60). He was also captured once by the Brits and while they tried to interrogate him he refused to say anything to them.
>>
Bob Monkhouse
>>
>>67287
Kek
>>
>>65677
I believe my ancestor was he woman who distributed bibles across Wales or some shit. It was something important like that. She went on a long trek through Wales and she achieved something big, religiously. Vague I know but I think her name ended in Eastwood.
>>
>all these rich kids with long lines of family and property

My grandparents came through ellis island, my grandmother from posh english and my grandfather from bumfuck france shortly after WW1. My grandfather fought in WW2, and after they left europe they left behind all history and connections to their family so now that theyre dead ive basically got no family connections to speak of before the 20th century. Im fairly certain my family robbed my plutonic family of our inheritance and we're currently all bumfuck poor while the rest of our family is rich.
>>
My great, great grandfather was classmates with Leon Trotsky in elementary school. During the great purge, he disappeared into the woods and lived there for 15 years, was a partisan during ww2 and came out when Stalin died.
>>
One of my great uncles fought for the German army in WW2 and then was drafted in the US army for Korea.

I don't know how, I only met him once.
>>
Ada Kepley, the first woman to graduate from law school. She got into law school in the first place with the argument of "You let Niggers in, are you saying that a White Woman is less than a Nigger?"

The family is, of course, so proud.
>>
Martin luther. Sadly all the documents got lost with the second world war
>>
I'm related to Pat Garrett. He was my great great great great grandfather or something like that. I get my first name, Garrett, from my great grandma whose last name was Garrett. It makes sense that I could be related to him. My dad's side of the family is from Alabama.
>>
>>66876

Shakespeare was his eras version of a Hollywood film producer. What do you think?
>>
>>65677
My great-grandparents had Frank Lloyd Wright design their house.
>>
Not really historical but my grandmother's brother was a huge mafia boss over here. Several of my uncles were caught smoking pot back in the 70s-80s and once they mentioned my relative the police apologized and left. He was shot in Hong Kong while gambling or something. Don't really know any of his family so I'm guessing we cut ties with them.

>family covers it up by telling us kids that he went to HK for medical treatment and died there
>they don't know that we know
>>
I'm a direct descendent of Leif Erikson and William the Conqueror.
>>
Henry Ford was my great, great, great uncle or something suchlike.
>>
>>65677
Direct descendant of:

>James Montgomery Flagg
(dude who made the "I Want You" poster)
>PGT Beauregard
(Louisianan Confederate General)
>assorted revolutionary war officers of little significance
(member of the Society of Cincinnati because of this)
>>
File: irish-banknote-50-pounds.jpg (209 KB, 813x450) Image search: [Google]
irish-banknote-50-pounds.jpg
209 KB, 813x450
Pic related is my great grandmother, and my grandfather bred red rum. Get on my level plebs.
>>
File: Austrian_Provinces.jpg (298 KB, 1452x1081) Image search: [Google]
Austrian_Provinces.jpg
298 KB, 1452x1081
>>65677
My greatgrandpa was a minor noble under Austro-Hungary in Slovenia.
He owned a small castle.
Then 1st Yugoslavia happened, and they took the castle , but left him with some land and houses he had.
Then commies ( 2nd Yugoslavia) happened and they took everything except a house in the center of Ljubljana.
He had a lot of heirs so the house got split into little pieces, my father now owns a little part of the path to the house.
I'm his direct descendant. I'm the oldest son, and my father was the oldest son, and my grandpa was his oldest son.
Sadly, I don't share the great-granddads name because my grandpa was a legitimized "bastard".
I don't know the name of the castle, i'd have to ask my dad, he knows. It's in Upper Cariola (Gorenjska) and it's used as a retirement home ( I think ).
>>
My great uncle was a songwriter in the twenties and thirties. He wrote a couple things you've probably heard. Love Sick Blues which was later famously covered by Hank Williams and the Looney Tunes theme were both written by him. Still get small royalty checks for those songs and some other tunes that they still use in various ads and stuff to this day.
>>
File: tfw_no_cute_jammy_jams.png (239 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
tfw_no_cute_jammy_jams.png
239 KB, 511x428
None as far as I'm aware.
>tfw no successful genes in me
>tfw grade-A pleb
>>
File: miclunk.jpg (466 KB, 1230x862) Image search: [Google]
miclunk.jpg
466 KB, 1230x862
>>67324
>>67515
>>67263
>>66625
>>65932
>>65868

These are pretty cool.

For my sins, I'm related to JFK and Ronald Reagan. The two worst presidents of the last century, exempting Nixon obviously.
>>
>>68484
>>68409
>>68296
>>68194

Great stuff!

>>68500

As far as you're aware. Your dad might be a super secret Bond-esque spy or some shit.
>>
File: Irvin_McDowell.jpg (1 MB, 2545x2481) Image search: [Google]
Irvin_McDowell.jpg
1 MB, 2545x2481
Direct descendant of Major General Irvin McDowell.
I don't know much about him other than he fought for the Union and lost the First Battle of Bull Run because Washington pressured him to attack early.
>>
File: 1433403086751.jpg (64 KB, 483x807) Image search: [Google]
1433403086751.jpg
64 KB, 483x807
one of my great whatever grandfathers ran a slave ship between america and africa.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.