[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
greeks and romans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 17
File: OdilonRedonCyclops.jpg (243 KB, 1280x1615) Image search: [Google]
OdilonRedonCyclops.jpg
243 KB, 1280x1615
How come the greeks have withstood all these centuries? They were there before Rome, they were after (and were Rome for centuries after the western half collapsed).

How come the romans didnt survive as an ethnic group after their empire ended? The greeks lost their lands in asia minor and other parts, yet they are still there, in their homeland. How come Rome didnt evolve like that?
>>
>>652551
Greek is an ethnicity. Romaness isn't, it became a multiethnical concept during the empire. Everyone could claim they're Romans, even the Greeks themselves did so.
>>
>>652551
Modern greeks are not Hellenic greeks.

By now they are only linguistically Greeks.

Their genes have changed, their religion has changed, even their entire cultural outlook has changed.
>>
>>652600
Ironically modern Turks in Anatolia have more Greek genes than the Greeks themselves
>>
File: 1450117530789.jpg (7 KB, 220x174) Image search: [Google]
1450117530789.jpg
7 KB, 220x174
>>652608
>>
>>652608
This is not possible, because modern Turks have no Greek whatsoever in them. They genocided the last 250.000 Greeks in 1922.
>>
>>652600

Proof
>>
>>652551
The current inhabitants of Rome are called Romans. Through until the middle ages Romans rioted to ensure "their" pope was elected.
>>
>>652600
lmao. Modern Greeks = Ancient Greeks

Get fucked Mehmet
>>
>>652551
The Greeks of modernity is only in name/language/location. Their civilization died after the roman empire and got replaced with roman values. If you wish to say the greeks survived, then so did the romans, the cathargians, etc. They are only survived in language/location. The civilization is actually dead.
>>
>>652608
This is just a flat out lie. You have no genetic data to prove this.
>>
>>652551
>the romans didnt survive as an ethnic group after their empire ended

imblying
>>
>>652804
sorry papastopoulos but you arent an ancient greek
i mean the picture you posted, they dont look the same at all, hopefully you are being ironic
>>
>>652551
papastadopoulos please.
ancient greeks were an amalgma of many people, among which dorians, eolians, ionians.
Romans, by strict definition, were the inhabitants of one city. By large definition, all the people of the most multicultural empire of ancient, medieval and modern history.
So, it would be like saying that the Athenians, or the Spartans, do not exist anymore as an etnic group, which is probably true.

Things are different if you consider the ethnic group to which the Romans belonged: Latini, which had the same ethnic origins of most central Italics people.

So, what are you really comparing?
>>
File: adsgraerg.jpg (75 KB, 333x474) Image search: [Google]
adsgraerg.jpg
75 KB, 333x474
>>653775
The image he posted looks very convincing IMO, IFG.
>>
>>653775
I'm not even Greek. I am sorry for your inferior Turkish intellect Mehmet.
>>
>>652587
Yeah, a great misconception people have is that they think "roman" necessarily has to mean or "italic"
>>
>>652551
Roman was never an ethnic group.
>>
>>653809
>every single Greek combined makes up 1 Socrates
>>
File: Greek_Greek_Saudi.jpg (101 KB, 1052x474) Image search: [Google]
Greek_Greek_Saudi.jpg
101 KB, 1052x474
>>654049
>>652804
It's the averaging of facial features of ancient sculptures and modern Greeks. It basically says: On average modern Greeks still look the same as ancient Greeks.

Here's an averaging of a Saudi f.e., you can see how much he differs.
>>
>>654082
I'm sure the same average fits for the average Caucasian country but it does not make current Greeks the same.
>>
>>652804
>>653809
>>654082

This is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen on /his/.

Congrats, Stelios, you're literally the heir to generalized marble bust. You win, just please stop posting.
>>
File: Facial_Averaging.jpg (189 KB, 832x1252) Image search: [Google]
Facial_Averaging.jpg
189 KB, 832x1252
>>654098
You're not even replying to the same guy Mehmet.

>>654086
Here's a better version.
>>
>>654041
what are patricians
>>
File: 800px-Seleuco_I_Nicatore.jpg (167 KB, 800x1067) Image search: [Google]
800px-Seleuco_I_Nicatore.jpg
167 KB, 800x1067
find me a Greek that still looks like this
>>
>>654108

>hey look, I posted the averaging of statues picture again!

Just stop, it's already a meme, you won.
>>
File: German_Greek_Greek.jpg (137 KB, 1252x656) Image search: [Google]
German_Greek_Greek.jpg
137 KB, 1252x656
>>654118
>a meme

It's just average faces of people, what are you angry about?

Here's a comparison for those who say ancient Greeks looks like modern Germans.
>>
>>654151
see
>>654116
find me a modern greek that looks like this, i'm waiting

i hope you do know that according to ancient historians there were tons of greeks with red and blonde hair, right?
>>
File: image.jpg (28 KB, 267x356) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28 KB, 267x356
>>653809
By you powers combined i am Jonah Hill.
>>
>>654151
also i've been to greece ans honestly that picture on the right doesn't even lok like the evarage greek imo, i bet you aren't a greek but just some faggot who lives in the united states
>>
>>654151

Ok, I admit. I was retarded the first couple times, but that one made me laugh.

The all look nothing like each other but all look the sort of the same, therein lies the humor. Don't force it too hard though or it will stop being funny quick
>>
File: Seleucus_I_Louvre.jpg (181 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Seleucus_I_Louvre.jpg
181 KB, 600x800
>>654163
I am sorry, I'm not going to search for a picture of a Greek that looks like this. If you believe there isn't a Greek amongst millions who looks exactly like this, you're an idiot.

Besides, here's another bust of Selecus I Nicator. So much for your point.
>>
File: compositegreek.jpg (9 KB, 200x300) Image search: [Google]
compositegreek.jpg
9 KB, 200x300
>>654179
>doesn't even lok like the evarage greek imo

Here's a composition of the national football team (just to get the cherrypicking argument out of the way).

Looks pretty much the same.

>>654191
>all look the sort of the same

Yes, they are all human. If you can't see why the Greek looks like the ancient Greek, and the German doesn't, I am sorry for you.
>>
college buddy and I are playing minecraft.

Name my Greek/Roman styled town Im founding today.
>>
>>654224
Merda
>>
greeks look exactly like turks these days, things turn out this way when you get fucked by the ottomans for hundred of years

shame, really
>>
>>654238
>Merda
lol fuck off
>>
File: user8352_pic814_1298853659.jpg (74 KB, 257x335) Image search: [Google]
user8352_pic814_1298853659.jpg
74 KB, 257x335
this is what ancient greeks looked like
>>
>>654243
Paedicatoria
>>
>>652551
>ethnics groups
>Greeks

Another fucking time. Stop posting this shit threads already!
>>
>>654245
>this is what one ancient Macedonian looked like maybe

FIFY
>>
>>654254
Oh shut up
>>
File: Caesar-v2.jpg (2 MB, 3185x4662) Image search: [Google]
Caesar-v2.jpg
2 MB, 3185x4662
>>654246
>Paedicatoria
I admit, i keked again.

Have a high res pic of Caesar as a reward for the laugh. I took it to a website called vistaprint and made it into a lovely 36x24" poster, bought a frame for it too.
>>
>>652804
This. Only Jews and Turks deny this.
>>
>>654241
>getting fucked

Yes, that's what occupation means, getting fucked. Maybe in your phantasies Mehmet you have an European looking gf.

I had a Greek gf, she looked like an ancient Greek statue.

Say what you want, but my gf was white tall and pretty, and you're a dirty smelly sandnigger. I am white, tall and pretty, and you are are dirty, smelly sandnigger. And nothing will ever change that.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 301x359) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 301x359
>>654116
Here's Rena Sargianopoulos. She looks like those ladies from Knossos
>>
>>654245
Also, I invite you to go live in Seleucia for a year and then come back looking this white, you dumb nigger.
>>
File: 132.jpg (212 KB, 700x483) Image search: [Google]
132.jpg
212 KB, 700x483
>>654245
>dat skin tone

This is Alexander's skin tone on the Pompeii mosaic. He has the same skin tone as Darius.

Fucking jealous Anglo shits man. Didn't have culture of their own, so they need to appropriate Greek culture.
>>
>>654321
Why do historical documents say he had blonde hair then? And most historians agree this pic is inaccurate.
>>
>>654224

Gayploxia

Check my digis for confirm
>>
>>654384
>comissioned by Diadochi
>copied by people who saw the original

>"inaccurate"

Kill yourself now pls. Most historians say entirely contradictory things about Alexander - whether his hair was pale-blond, red-blond, or dark-blond, or who knows. Most of them have never even seen him personally.
>>
>>654432
I'm just saying what most other historians were saying, calm down dude.
>>
>>654321
>>654432
pay denbs
>>
>>654465
All I'm saying is, it would be crazy to dismiss the accuracy of that mosaic because "Alexander's hair isn't blond enough" - especially since it isn't even agreed on how blond his hair was.
>>
I think hellenistic Greeks were probably darker than todays Greeks. Remember that alot of germanic migration occurred after the breakup of the roman empire, with more migrations afterwards.

Most greeks are more different from arabic people than you'd think they should be.
>>
>>652684
The last greeks were exchanged and also most anatolian greeks already went turk by 1922 the one million that got exchanged were the ones that were still christian and probably spoke mostly turkish as their first language.
>>
Turks settled in Greece for 363 years only, that's not enough to drown out millions of Greeks and turn them into Turks.
Iberia was conquered for 700~ years and spaniards don't look like berbers or moroccans now, do they?
And from the Roman Empire, until the Byzantine Empire.
Greeks just stayed in their areas, always being the majority in the Balkans.
Being Greek is a racial, cultural and religious thing.
Being a Turk is a cultural thing.
The steppe turkomongoloids are gone, drowned out by Greek, Armenian, Georgian and Kurdish DNA.
Most "turks" aren't even turks anymore.
>>
>>652804
Are they supposed to look similar?
>>
>>654789
Europeans settled in the Americas and changed the ethnic composition of the people
>>
>>652587
>>654036
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Romans

Then what's the point of this list?
>>
>>654989
Yeah, because they all died. Not so hard to change the ethnic composition of a few hundred thousand rather than millions.
>>
People from across the empire were granted roman citizenship, we know that, but werent the italians around the city of rome ethnic romans? Somehow roman as an ethnicity ended, we dont have "ethnic romans" speaking a form of latin nowadays like we do greek. And no, not a romance language, i mean latin.
>>
>>655068
They didn't all die
>>
>>655629
It really depends on definitions after all. I think that by the early Republic, "Romans" as in Latins were already mixed with Etruscans and other tribes around Rome and that area.
But I don't see why the interest in Latins as an ethnicity, I mean, I don't think they were that much different from other Indo-European peoples roaming north and central Italy by the time.
I mean, was Greece colonized by exactly one strand of people? Perhaps they also had relatively different peoples eventually mixing into one, with no precise "Greek" group of people ending up like the Latins.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.