[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
English speakers of /his/ Can you please tell me why, in your
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: 1446474706001.jpg (109 KB, 728x593) Image search: [Google]
1446474706001.jpg
109 KB, 728x593
English speakers of /his/

Can you please tell me why, in your history books do you call our country in medieval times, "Wallachia" ?
>>
>>64834
could you point out where on that map it says wallachia?
>>
>>64914
nevermind, found it... uh, yeah, i never even heard of that name before.
>>
Arborea strong
>>
mihai I rightful ruler
bring back monarchy
>>
>>64914
between ottomans and hungary and below poland/lith
>>
>>64834
isn't the ethnicity called 'vlach' in english? "vlachia" and wallachia are similar sounding

disclaimer; I know nothing about your country
>>
What would you rather we called it? The Grand Principality of Half Romania?
>>
>>64834
Because you are Vlachs.

Wallachia was just one part anyway, there was also Moldavia and Transylvania.

P.S. Gypsies are gay
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-11-02-09-50-16.png (114 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-11-02-09-50-16.png
114 KB, 540x960
>>
>>64834
Comes from "Vlach"
>>64992
Holy kek
>>
File: rice.134.jpg (6 KB, 150x200) Image search: [Google]
rice.134.jpg
6 KB, 150x200
>>64992
>>
>>64931
>>64914

I was wondering if you could explain why you adopted this name specificly, or through what other countries if you borrowed it?

>>64976
That was the thing i was trying to get to. You called the country's inhabitants "wallachians" but the natives were calling themselves "romanians" hence my thread. Why couldn't you call it the way the natives were?
>>
>>64834
Vlachs were romance speakers in the balkans, the name probably comes from everyone around it calling it after the people thus Vlach or Vlachia thus you get Wallachia.
>>
>>65038
"Wallachian" and Vlach come from an old Germanic word for Roman, or foreigner. See also, Welsh and Walloon
>>
>>65052
They continue to be tho.

>the name probably comes from everyone around it calling it after the people

But that's the thing. The people were calling it Romanian land and around 1821 Romania. I can't see where this international use of "Wallachia" comes from.
>>
>>65073

Yeah but only anglo diplomacy seemed to have used it all throughout history and even until the 20th century
>>
Why was it called Prussia prior to WWII?
>>
>>65160
Because everyone around it called it Valachia, are you retarded?
>>
>>65201
it has been prussia since, well, a long time ago
throughout centuries it has developed into an independent entity which then from about the 18th century onwards grew in status and importance culminating in basically propping up the german empire
>>
>>65182
Did they?
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wallachia
>Translations
>region in Romania
>Bulgarian: Bлaшкo n (Vlaško)
>Catalan: Valàquia f
>Czech: Valašsko n
>Dutch: Walachije
>Finnish: Valakia (fi)
>French: Valachie (fr) f
>German: Walachei (de) f
>Greek: Βλαχία f (Vlachía)
>Hebrew: ולאכיה
>Hungarian: Havasalföld (hu)
>Italian: Valacchia f
>Macedonian: Bлaшкo n (Vláško)
>Persian: والاشی (váláši), افلاخونیه (efláxuniye) (archaic)
>Polish: Wołoszczyzna f
>Portuguese: Valáquia f
>Romanian: Țara Românească (ro) f, Valahia (ro) f
>Russian: Baлaхия f (Valaxija)
>Slovak: Valašsko n
>Spanish: Valaquia f
>Swedish: Valakiet
>Turkish: Eflak (tr)

I don't know about historical uses, but the modern term for the area in plenty of languages, including surrounding languages are obviously etymologically related to Wallachia. It seems everyone around it was calling it Vlach-Land, aka Latin Speaking Land
>>
>>65300
>It seems everyone around it was calling it Vlach-Land, aka Latin Speaking Land
Called it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallachia

>The name Wallachia, generally not used by Romanians themselves (but present in some contexts as Valahia or Vlahia), is derived from the word "walha" used by Germanic peoples to describe Celts, and later romanized Celts and all Romance-speaking people. In northwest Europe this gave rise to Wales, Cornwall, Wallonia, among others, while in Southeast Europe it evolved into the ethnonym Valach, used to designate Germanic speakers' Romance-speaking neighbours, and subsequently taken over by Slavic-speakers to refer to Romanians, with variants such as Vlach, Blach, Bloc, Bloh, Boloh etc.—see also: Vlachs.
>In the early Middle Ages, in Slavonic texts, the name of Zemli Ungro-Vlahiskoi (Зeмли Унгpo-Bлaхиcкoи or "Hungaro-Wallachian Land") was also used as a designation for its location. The term, translated in Romanian as "Ungrovalahia", remained in use up to the modern era in a religious context, referring to the Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan seat of Hungaro-Wallachia, in contrast to Thessalian Wallachia, or Great Wallachia in Macedonia, a medieval state, or Small Wallachia (Mala Vlaška) in Serbia.[4] Official designations of the state were Muntenia (The Land of Mountains) and Țara Românească (Terra Romana, or The Romanian Country).
>For long periods after the 14th century, Wallachia was referred to as Vlaško (Bлaшкo) by Bulgarian sources, Vlaška by Serbian sources and Walachei or Walachey by German-speaking (Transylvanian Saxon) sources.
>>
File: wallachia-map.gif (21 KB, 450x319) Image search: [Google]
wallachia-map.gif
21 KB, 450x319
>>65244
>>65300

If that would be the case, then the term Wallachia would have extended and reffered to Moldova and Transylvania aswell, since all 3 of them were romance speakers. Yet that term stricly applies only to old Rumania in international use. Why is that?
>>
>>65182
Can't speak for others but Czechs and Slovaks always called it Valašsko.

https://cs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vala%C5%A1sko_%28Rumunsko%29
>>
>>65349
That IS the case, why other's aren't called the same is another matter but it doesn't dispute the before mentioned fact.
>>
>>65342
>>65379

Then why isn't it called "Wallachia" by the anglosphere today too, since it's a name used for balkan romance speakers?
>>
>>65349
>There's a state, we need to call it something
>It's in that Latin Speaking area. So we'll call it Latin Speaking Land
Several years later
>Oh shit there's another state in Latin Speaking Land and we've already called the first state Latin Speaking Land.
>Fug. Give the new state a new name and we'll start calling the whole of Latin Speaking Land something else, like Romanland

For another example of the same thing, if I said Dutchland you'd know I was talking about the Netherlands because that's were the people we call "Dutch" live, even though "Dutch" is actually an old term for continental west Germanic speakers. We started calling specifically the Netherlanders Dutch so we had to start calling the rest of the Dutch by another name, "German"
>>
>>65468
See >>65492
>>
>>65513

And again, if this was the case why did anglos stopped calling it Wallachia?

Why did you start calling it "Romania" when that's what people have been calling it when you internationally named the country "Wallachia"?
>>
>>65742
Do you have literal KC tier autism?
They stopped calling it Wallachia because the state they called Wallachia united with Moldavia to form a new state that was bigger than the state they called Wallachia.

It's like asking why they started calling Prussia Germany
>>
>>65819

> because the state they called Wallachia united with Moldavia to form a new state that was bigger than the state they called Wallachia.

How's it a new state if the natives called it Rumania? Moldova united with Rumania and then it adopted the official name of Romania. The difference isn't that big so why did you stop calling it Wallachia?

And btw Prussia existed as it's own autonomous state even after Germany was created.
>>
Maybe we need to try something else. Why do you think we call it Wallachia?
>>
>>65952
>How's it a new state if the natives called it Rumania?
And no one else did
>Moldova united with Rumania and then it adopted the official name of Romania
So everyone had been calling it Wallachia because that's what they always called it, then the state said that it was actually called Romania so everyone was nice and adopted that name.
See also, Iran
>The difference isn't that big so why did you stop calling it Wallachia?
Everyone obviously felt that it was new enough that it should be called something other than Wallachia
>>
>>66071
>Everyone obviously felt that it was new enough that it should be called something other than Wallachia

Just so you know, the entire romanian historiography is screwed up because of the international and internal name of the country.

It would have been much better if today you kept calling romania "Wallachia" and let "Romania" be used as a name by the natives
>>
>>66363
I apologise of behalf of every Non-Wallachian for giving you an exonym that sounds like the gypsy's endonym
>>
>>66417

Come to think of it, yeah, having an international name that doesn't immediately give you the idea of gypsies might not be a bad suggestion.
>>
>>65742
>>65952

The question is a bit silly, but it probably has to do with the times. Before the 19th century, nobody cared about what the natives called themselves (often not even the natives). But after the 19th century ideas of nationalism, that started to be a little more important. So you have some nations succesfully imposing a "new" name in foregin lands during the late 19th and early 20th. Another example is Iran, called by Iranians Iran (or Eran) since the times of the Sassanids if not before, but persia by everyone in the west.
>>
>>66499
Fair enough i guess, but in the current romanian historiography, our history is presented from the perspective of the natives (i.e Wallachia is called the way it was, Romanian land) but then in 1859 when the union was around, suddenly it turned into the union, not of Romanian land and Moldova, but that of Wallachia and Moldova, making it a history from the perspective of foreigners

It's really confusing.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.