[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the perfect replication of the Roman Legion at work.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4
File: 1437158717817.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
1437158717817.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1200
This is the perfect replication of the Roman Legion at work.
>>
I see what you're trying to do
>>
>>64803
Yes, depict Roma as it was.
>>
>>64756

Seems a bit short of manpower.
>>
>not using lorica hamata
>>
>>64756
Didnt the centurion wear specialized hamata armour? Even in early AD evidence shows that when the majority was segmentata, the centurion still always wore his special hamata. They also died at higher rates than any other middle rank in any other antiquity army.
>>
File: 1444243741468.gif (17 KB, 103x203) Image search: [Google]
1444243741468.gif
17 KB, 103x203
>Black legionary
>>
From which period roughly?
Didn't realize Centurions wore a cuirass, not sure though. Thought it was the seg or hamata.
>>
>>66416
There would have most certainly been blacks in the roman army defending upper egypt, recruited from that area like most roman garrisons.
>>
File: asterix-and-cleopatra-page-2.jpg (868 KB, 1400x1771) Image search: [Google]
asterix-and-cleopatra-page-2.jpg
868 KB, 1400x1771
I always loved the way the Roman legions are portrayed in Asterix. All the centurions are always gruff career military guys and all the legionnaires are reluctant, cowardly conscripts.
>>
>>64756
>hiring foreign mercenaries
This is the best representation of Rome I've seen yet.
>>
This makes me think, were they really colored red? True red dye was something hard to come by until the discovery of the americas and a certain kind of beatle. What did they use to dye their clothes?
>>
>>66519
Then they would have been auxiliaries. Only Italians could become legionaries.
>>
>>66736
>a certain kind of beatle
John, Paul, George, or Ringo?
>>
>>66789
Kek, maybe in the republic/early empire

There werent enough italians for that senpai
>>
>>66836
And OP posted a pic of the legion of the early empire.
>>
>>66888
Actually that looks at least 100AD
>>
>>67007
And?
>>
>>67019
Would have expanded their recruitment by then
>>
>>67034
Not until around 200AD when everyone in the empire was made a citizen by default, not just Italians.
>>
>>66836
>>67034
There were no negroids in the Roman Legion. If you have any evidence for negroids in the Roman Legion, post it, otherwise I'm reporting you and your thread.
>>
>>66789
Only Romans, not Italians, could become legionaires, there were a lot of Romans outside of Italy.

One of Caesars legions was wholy made of non-romans by the way so it was not forbidden for non-romans to serve in the legions.
>>
>>67069
>at least 100ad
>at least

Meaning that picture represents an era where foreign legionaries were a thing or at least on the verge of becoming a thing, theres no way they had enough italians to fill out every legion, germans and gauls specifically were all over the place.
>>
>>67100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Maurice

This guy was a legionaire
>>
>>67100
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusius_Quietus

Here, a black Roman commander. He killed loads of jews
>>
>>67214
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lusius_Quietus

>Berber
>Black

Nope.

>>67175
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Maurice

He was only depicted as Sub-saharan as far back as the 12th century. Try again.
>>
>>67161
>theres no way they had enough italians to fill out every legion
The legions were not as big as you seem to think they were. Only Italians were allowed into the legions until the Antonine decree of 212, this is a fact. Auxiliaries vastly outnumbered the legions, but they were not a part of the legions.

>>67175
>born in AD 250
This was after the Antonine decree.
>>
File: rome.jpg (26 KB, 236x347) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
26 KB, 236x347
>>67248
Lusius looke like a blacka to me man
>>
>>67314
And? where there no legions after 250 AD? That guy clearly stated: There were no blacks in the Roman legions. Not: There were no blacks in the Roman legions before 250 AD.
>>
>>67351
No I misread.
>>
>>67315
>that hair
>those lips
>that nose

Negro spotted
>>
>work

Just look at those welfare queens
>>
>>66416
Most Romans were actually black. Just go home kid.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.