[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else go to renaissance faires and feel a sort of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
File: renaissance fair.jpg (946 KB, 3648x2736) Image search: [Google]
renaissance fair.jpg
946 KB, 3648x2736
Does anyone else go to renaissance faires and feel a sort of Sehnsucht for those times? It was an age where the men were men and the women were women. You didn't go to Wholefoods to get a double-triple-organic granola bar. You just went up to your local bar wench and got a big old turkey leg that came from the town you got it in. While you drank your ale in the tavern and ate your turkey leg, bards would perform and sing the tales of valiant heroes. You could even BECOME those heroes, if you were strong enough. You didn't have to "network" to succeed back then. You could just train for combat and become a valiant knight, and that was the simple ideal everyone looked up to. You just served your lord and your people, and you did it with pride. And you didn't have be a cocky asshole alpha male to attract women to you. Back then, you could just win the hand of a fair maiden in a tournament. You just needed to be the strongest warrior, and to the victor the spoils would go. The women weren't shallow and unfaithful; they knew that as your wife they were to be loving yet let you take charge. I bet if feudalism was still around, kekolding wouldn't have become the joke it is now.

It feels like a sort of a lost treasure of a time. I just wish we could've lived in it for more than just some three-day faires.
>>
but op kekolding is ye old english passtime
>>
File: 1424563551189.jpg (51 KB, 340x399) Image search: [Google]
1424563551189.jpg
51 KB, 340x399
You should watch Midnight in Paris, that movie's message is specifically for faggots like you.
>>
>>64142
Also this, where and when do you think the term has originated?
Infidelity has always been a thing, especially
among the upper classes where it was seen as a normal thing to have side-sex.
>>
>>63976
while i like to go to renaissance faires you merry fellow seem to overestimate 'those times'. At least you got that 'no traps'-thing right
>>
>>63976
>You just went up to your local bar wench and got a big old turkey leg that came from the town you got it in.
i just, don't think that was common.
>>
>>63976
>You could just train for combat and become a valiant knight, and that was the simple ideal everyone looked up to.
now you've gone full fantasy.
>>
but turkey and corn are from the new world
>>
>>63976
I think you may be romanticizing a bit.

>9 bucks for a turkey leg
Fuck renaissance fairs.
>>
>>64658
i've seen enough medieval movies that i can safely say that some of those peasant boys could definitely be traps.
>>
>>63976
>die at 20 from a burst appendix or food poisoning

Sounds sweet, sign me up.
>>
>>65783
As someone with chronic pain and a congenital kidney disease, I don't go back before the time of both the hypodermic syringe and antibiotics.

Might be cool to be a knight, or swashbuckle around, or travel, or eat children on the Oregon trail, it's just not for me. Or most of us really.
>>
>>63976
Good lord you are delusional. You're posting on an imageboard so it's safe to say you are the modern position of a serf and your life would be endless misery.
You would not be a noble, you would be a peasant eating rationed bread while you worked yourself to death for your lord who was entitled to treat you and your family as the disposable cattle they were to him.
>>
>>65783
also your king is literally retarded from inbreeding

also i am like 99% sure the food sucked back then too
>>
>>63976
>you didn't have to network

Feudalism was all networking.
you don't seem to know much about history, read more.
>>
>renaissance fair
>psuedo Germanic / Anglo saxon town set up

Fucking americans
>>
Wasn't it extremely common for nobles to have mistresses and shit like that?
Cheating was an absolutely socially acceptable thing to do for the high society.
>>
>>66304
It's true that we lack the authenticity of having our towns besieged by modern day Muslim hordes
>>
>>66304
why are you so butthurt?
>>
>>66139
>food

You'll eat pottage and like it, peasant
>>
>Sehnsucht

Holy shit OP, you're autistic.
>>
I really don't get the middle age romanticism, it was arguably a shit time to be alive.
>>
>>63976
Is this thread a bait?
>>
>>66139
> 99% sure the food sucked back then too
This.
What makes our food tasty (sugar, salt, spices) were either unobtainable or shipping them from across the globe was merely for the nobility.
>>
File: laughing pope.jpg (50 KB, 700x504) Image search: [Google]
laughing pope.jpg
50 KB, 700x504
>>65783
>>65925

>yfw 50% of this board would've died at birth, probably killing his mom and therefore preventing his younger siblings from existing
>>
Is there anything more cringe-worthy than having a time period as a waifu?
And it's such a common thing for humans in all points of history too, I think it's the inability to cope with the present or something.
Pretty sure there's actually a psychological term for this, anyone?
>>
>>63976
I really really hope you're trolling, my god man real life isn't like Skyrim or some shit. If you weren't a nobleman it was pretty much pointless living back then, you'll die young and live a shitty existence of hard labour and constant loss. Infant mortality was around 30-50% while adult life expectancy was around 40-50.
I don't know what you mean when you say you'd 'win a fair maidens hand in a tournament', in order to do that you would need to be a knight and therefore from some sort of nobility which the vast majority of us weren't.
We're probably living the easiest life that anyone has in the west ever, appreciate it.
>>
>Turkey Leg and Corn on the Cob
>Renaissance

Fine for Colonial/Settler reenactment events. But renaissance anything and you are heading into fantasy land.
>>
>>66729
>Is there anything more cringe-worthy than having a time period as a waifu?
You take that back. Bronze age was cozy as fuck.
>>
>>63976
While I agree generally with your sentiment, you lost me at the knight thing.

You honestly sound NEET and beta as fuck. I doubt your situation would be any different if you lived back then, and more likely, you'd be dead or quite weak due to lack of variety in food and general medical practices.
>>
>>66729
I think wistful for a bygone era' would cover it, because it's basically nostalgia for something you haven't experienced.
>>
I find it funny that pretty everything you just wrote is wrong

> You just went up to your local bar wench and got a big old turkey leg that came from the town you got it in.

You would eat gruel and bread and nothing else, ever

>While you drank your ale in the tavern and ate your turkey leg, bards would perform and sing the tales of valiant heroes.

Real life was not like Asterix & Obelix you complete retard. You would work 12 hours a day, pray and then go to bed and repeat that forever

>You could even BECOME those heroes, if you were strong enough. You didn't have to "network" to succeed back then.

You were either born a noblemen or a peasant and nothing could ever change your status

I know you're baiting but this is probably what many Americans picture 15th century Europe.
>>
File: 1385795455696.png (179 KB, 1155x852) Image search: [Google]
1385795455696.png
179 KB, 1155x852
>>66487
>>>/pol/
>>
>>67002
this guy has it right.

don't forget about the dangers of illnesses/diseases and natural disasters which could wipe you out at any moment. it's nice to think about living in a time different than our own, but we shouldn't take for granted the luxuries we were born into.
>>
>>65783
alternately
>live to 80, just long enough for a lifetime of suffering as your teeth rot and fall out one by one
>>
>>67002

The working 12 hours a day part is bullshit. Peasants only worked when there was enough day light because there was no lighting beyond torches and bonfires. In the winter, they simply stayed indoors and drank for 3-4 straight months, doing no work at all outside staying alive.
>>
>>67592
Not really true. If they had livestock, they had to take care of that. They had to gather firewood and chop it, they also did some handywork to pass the time and to sell it.
>>
>>67631
>hhhmmm I just spent 3 months trapped a hole in the ground making candy from sugar scraps and dumb toys from wood scraps
>what am I going to do with all this kitschy garbage I won't want when spring comes?

>And that's the story of Christmas
>>
>>66032
Speak for yourself, I'd be the son of a Magnate. Going back in time would actually be good for me (so long as I was cured of all my shitty DNA) as I'd be nobility and able to oppress you guys.
>>
>>63976
>While you drank your ale in the tavern and ate your turkey leg, bards would perform and sing the tales of valiant heroes. You could even BECOME those heroes, if you were strong enough
>period of extreme class division where the military elite was limited only to those independently wealthy enough to be able to care for their own horses
>nongentry legally barred from entering tournaments
>>
>>66609
I really hope so, if anyone seriously feels like OP god help them.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.