[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>t-this guy was just a butthurt heretic, he destroyed Christian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Martin Luther.jpg (155 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Martin Luther.jpg
155 KB, 1200x1200
>t-this guy was just a butthurt heretic, he destroyed Christian unity forever! If it wasn't for him, Europe w-would be way more united and wouldn't have to experience centuries of religious wars! XD

Why do you retards keep repeating this? Do you guys not realise that he had no intentions of breaking off from the Church, and was instead just trying to reform and eradicate what he (mostly rightfully) saw as extreme Church corruption?

I mean fuck, I'm not even some protetard, I'm Orthodox, so I have more reason than anyone to take issue with the movement his ideas spawned. But to say that he was actually TRYING to break away from the Church and cause all these new heresies to pop up is factually wrong. If you want to look at people who were actually trying to do that, point your attentions to Zwingli and Calvin, not Luther.
>>
>>871227
Dude literally rewrote the bible. What does that have to do with corruption.
>>
>>871235
Ok, fair enough, and he was wrong in that. But if the Church hadn't been so uncompromisingly butthurt, they might have been able to engage with him properly and and take on board his actual legitimate suggestions, rather than dismiss everything he said outright because of "muh heresy."

Honestly, the Catholics have no one to blame for the fractured state of Western Christianity but themselves.
>>
>>871254
>But if the Church hadn't been so uncompromisingly butthurt, they might have been able to engage with him properly and and take on board his actual legitimate suggestions, rather than dismiss everything he said outright because of "muh heresy."
but they did, only a few of his theses were actually condemned, not all of them.

Had he not been so emotionally invested in his "new theology" he wouldve been highly regarded in the Church. Fuck, he may have even upheld his teaching as a intellectual pursuit, against the Ockhamism of his day, but he let his emotions and huge ego take hold of him, going as far as to hold Church teaching as another fallible opinion.

That's the thing with heretics anon, they are extremes of what would be perfectly orthodox points of view.

also
>I'm Orthodox
you're pretty much the first Luthers, it's just that most people dont really care about your history, seeing you just as the weird church who is friends with Putin.
>>
>>871311
>a church awfully persecuted by commies for years is in favour of a conservative right wing ruler
STOP THE FUCKING PRESSES EVERYBODY
>>
>>871235
>Dude literally rewrote the bible.
You mean translate it.
>>
>>871235

And the Bible has never been a document set in stone. Luther did nothing that was radically different from what for instance King David's royal scribes would have done. In fact, the early writers of the Bible were commonly much more radical in their revisionism
>>
>>871311
>you're pretty much the first Luthers
Only one church had the gall to alter the Nicene creed and switch to using unleavened bread for the Eucharist, and it wasn't the Orthodox.
>>
>>871376
>the Bible has never been a document set in stone

>If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
>22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
>22:20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
>22:21 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
>>
>>871381
Just because a crime carries a harsh sentence doesn't mean that crime hasn't happened, isn't currently happening, and won't continue to happen again.

God can punish people as he sees fit but that doesn't change the fact that people regularly add to and take away from those texts. The idea that the English translation #5 or #6 that you've read isn't completely untouched and pure shouldn't come as a surprise.

All things considered, It's a remarkably preserved document, and nobody would deny that. but denying any change at all to the document over thousands of years and hundreds of translations is silly.
>>
>>871381
Poor Thomas Jefferson.
>>
Is he accepted as a protestant any more?
Anytime you bring up anything he said about anything the protestants will just denounce it by saying "oh, he was a Catholic choir boy!"
>>
>>871565
I dont think even Lutherans really care about him. He is mostly a historical character.
>>
>>871565
Some of us Lutherans deny that we are protestant and call ourselves "the median church".
>>
Protestant reformation was about german princes liquidating church assets, it had nothing to do with religion.
>>
>>871728
I think it was more along the lines of the royalty saw it as a chance to rob their local chruches. The reformation didnt come at the request of the kings in the first place. They just found it convinient. But yes, it wouldnt have spread i guess if the local monarchs didnt find it a better option than to be slaved to the roman catholics.
>>
>>871311
>>I'm Orthodox
>you're pretty much the first Luthers
But the Orthodox church came before the catholic.
>>
>>872029
How? They were the same thing, then spkit into two.
>>
>>871235
he just translated it so normal people could see what bullshit the bishops say
>>
>>872059
>he just translated it

How is that not rewriting the bible?
>>
>>872064
How is what the bishops have not a rewritten version?
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.