[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Greatest Tragedy of the Last 30 Years
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: fall.jpg (47 KB, 948x632) Image search: [Google]
fall.jpg
47 KB, 948x632
Was it?
>>
>>62429
Probably 9/11. 3000 people died and then half the planet got dragged into 2 completely pointless wars that fucked up most of the middle east as a direct and indirect consequence.
>>
>>62756

>3000 deaths anyway comparable to Fall of USSR
>>
how is giving the people freedom and liberty a tragedy
>>
>>62429
I doubt east germans consider that event in any way a tragedy.
Probably the happiest day in their lives
>>
>>62756
i knew an american would say 9/11.
>>
File: cash.jpg (120 KB, 1024x684) Image search: [Google]
cash.jpg
120 KB, 1024x684
>>62854

>economic servitude to Western corporations = FREEDUM

Yeah, sure, what ever.

>>62856

They do now.
>>
>>62756
>9/11
>tragedy
>>
>>62429
German here. Yes and no. I was genuine attempt towards democracy by the east german people through peaceful means and the Russians did the right thing by not doing anything about it.

Where the tragedy started was when western politcians coopted the event and fucked the east over. Partially by allowing scummy people like Merkel a place in future germany, even though they had ties to the former system and likely spied upon fellow countrymen. Same goes for Gauck, who even was put in charge of the Stasi files.

But mainly because Nato was extended towards the east dispite other promisis and the opportunity of integrating Russia into the West wasn't seized, but it was deceided to sell Russia wholesale to the "free market" and exploit it while putting a drunk in charge.
>>
>>62879
>They do now.
Oh really?
Did you asked every single one of them about it?

I'm sure they would rather deal with the Stasi all over again than living their terrible present lifestyle in a capitalist society and effectively being part of the 5% richest people on earth
>>
>>62879
KEEP ON ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD
>>
File: takbir.jpg (25 KB, 610x406) Image search: [Google]
takbir.jpg
25 KB, 610x406
>>62429
electing a muslim extremist as the president of the united states.
allahu ackbar, obama-san.
>>
>>62902

Thanks for that. Your impressions are shared by quite a few Eastern Europeans I know.

>>62911

>waaaaah
>>
>>62971
>waaaaah

You really convinced me of the effectiveness and awesomeness of the soviet union with those strong arguments m8
>>
>>62429
I didn't realize Vladimir Putin had time for shitposting on experimental 4chan boards.
>>
File: 2009-communism-55.png (34 KB, 444x320) Image search: [Google]
2009-communism-55.png
34 KB, 444x320
>>62879
>They do now.
trust a fucking communist to be totally and utterly divorced from reality

deluded moron

>http://www.pewglobal.org/2009/11/02/chapter-5-views-of-german-reunification/
>>
File: 2009-communism-50.png (42 KB, 244x672) Image search: [Google]
2009-communism-50.png
42 KB, 244x672
>>63048
have some more
>>
>>62826
Those 3000 deaths caused a complete shitfuck and countless more deaths for the next 14 years. Try thinking big picture.
>>
>collapse of the Soviet Union
>tragedy

Only insofar as it enabled the globalist coup and rise of cultural Marxism.
>>
>>63048
>>63057
Vladimir just got BTFO
>>
>>63048
>>63057

Germans think:
>reunification is good
>introduction of free market bad

Well, the commies agree with that assessment. Stalin himself wished for unification.
>>
File: 1446321876048.jpg (218 KB, 1365x1229) Image search: [Google]
1446321876048.jpg
218 KB, 1365x1229
>>63098
>cultural Marxism.

read a book /pol/
>>
>>63131
>Germans think:
>>introduction of free market bad
um where did you get that from those surveys?
>>
Depends on what we're measuring.

Loss of life? Global economic impact? Sheer horror factor?

The 2004 tsunami claimed like 300,000 lives in the span of a few days and levels a wide variety of cities and villages as well as destroying the surrounding lands. That's pretty tragic.
>>
>>63096

And the fall of the USSR allowing the States to become the world's only super power. Those crimes you've mentioned wouldn't have been possible without that event first taking place.
>>
>>63173
It's silly to measure indirect deaths as if they were the same event as the tragedy itself. I'm not sure if the argument can be made that 9/11 and the subsequent war should be counted as separate events.

I agree with you.
>>
>>63131
I don't think the introduction of the free market was bad, but it wasn't done with good intentions but rather in an exploitative way by supporting a corrupt clique and allowing criminals to gain control over crucial infrastructure. If all the introduction to the free market should've been more gradual and controlled.
>>
>>62429
Yes, but not for the reason one might think.

It was bad because the USSR fell apart during (and because) of an economic crisis and eastern economies went even more to shit when their entire markets were lost and the whole transition left them with a shell of an economy that was quickly filled with western companies/local tycoons or oligarchs before they could pick themselves up, these same tycoons and oligarchs then gained untold amounts of influence in politics leading to even more corruption.

Now you have eastern companies having to compete with well established western ones that not only have large parts of the market but also a shitload of more capital. Not to mention the western companies using illegal methods (some German companies literally had a corruption funds-money allocated for bribes) to muscle in and take over only further adding to corruption.
>>
>>62429
This is just outside the realm of 30 years ago but the Israelis failing to get Yasser Arafat in 1982 (thanks to Ronald Reagan).
My God the Middle East would be so much better today if they had gotten that bastard
>>
>>62429
I'm a communist, but I generally consider the fall of the USSR to be a good thing - it's was a pretty shitty influence on our movements and was prone to support any idiot who claimed to be a ML (just look at the clusterfuck that was Ethiopia).

I do wish however it could have gone according Gorbachev's plan of a Nordic model - rather than being hijacked by Yeltsin and the IMF and turned into another neoliberal testing ground (It'll totally work this time guys!) - as it happened it was a humanitarian disaster.
>>
>>63371
Nordic model sounds good.
>>
>>62429
The Yugoslav and Rwandan genocides, rise of ISIS, rise of the Taliban, and [spoiler]election of Reagan, Thatcher, and Mulroney[/spoiler] were all worse.
>>
>>63457
>The Yugoslav and Rwandan genocides
>Yugoslav
What are those even doing in the same sentence? They Genocide in Bosnia "only" cost a few thousand lives, the peak estimates are like 20 thousand in a span of 4 years. Not saying it makes it any less of a crime but it's severely over stated and can't really be up there with the crimes committed in Africa and the Middle east in the same time periods.

More people died in Iraq because of the sanctions on Saddam and lack of basic necessities, not to mention the persecution of Kurds...
>>
>>63542
>tragedy
>arabs dying
what was that batman quote about everything going according to plan?
>>
>>63371
>I'm a communist, but I generally consider the fall of the USSR to be a good thing - it's was a pretty shitty influence on our movements and was prone to support any idiot who claimed to be a ML (just look at the clusterfuck that was Ethiopia).

I feel like this is something which is overlooked by many communists when assessing the USSR. I mean look at what happened with the Spanish Civil War, the Soviets backed the PSUC and then helped them purge the POUM and the CNT/FAI, basically because it was in the interest of the Soviets to do so (even though it involved jailing/executing a lot of fellow communists)

>>63457
you were doing well until you spoke of Thatcher and the Rwandan genocide in the same breath

the collapse of the coal industry in the UK would have been far less dramatic and destructive were it not for the fact that Arthur Scargill was a complete lunatic. The NUM under Scargill declared that any coal pit closure, even for economic reasons, even if there was no coal left in the pit, would be met with a strike. He forced Thatcher's hand because he arrogantly thought that he could win (as he had done in the past), instead he got wiped out and led a lot of honest miners off the cliff into the abyss with him

lions led by a complete donkey
>>
>>62826
3000 important people. 3000 CEOs and such.
If I recall correctly all the people who knew some important Hewlett-Packard encryption password died, for example.
>>
>>63717
Nobody needs CEOs.
>>
>>62826
>fall of USSR
>tragedy
You're either Russian or Westerner.
>>
>>64102
>you are part of 98% of 4chan's user base
Very likely that he is, yes.
>>
>>62902
>Nato was extended towards the east dispite other promisis
There was never such deal
>>
>>64152

kek
>>
>>64903
Kohl made an informal promise.
>>
File: 110424_rand_ron_paul_ap_605.jpg (48 KB, 605x328) Image search: [Google]
110424_rand_ron_paul_ap_605.jpg
48 KB, 605x328
For people from west Germany. Honestly, East Germans are parasites on the German economy. So much money dumped into "recovery"...
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.