[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So who here has an interest in antiques? I thought that perhaps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: grandad's stuff.jpg (767 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
grandad's stuff.jpg
767 KB, 1920x1080
So who here has an interest in antiques? I thought that perhaps we could start a thread surrounding interesting items we have lying around.
>Pic related
A box of my Grandfathers things which he left to me, containing, most notably, an old lighter with original instructions and two mechanical watches, I have more if anyone is interested
>>
File: 1446462323895.jpg (298 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446462323895.jpg
298 KB, 1280x720
>>
>>61880
I got some stuff frmo my grandparents' time in WW2, most of them are only pictures and documents. I also got their Ahnenpass though.
>>
>>61990
Thats pretty cool, this Grandparent fought for the British during WW2 so a bit of a dichotomy
>>
>>62013
Did you ever talk to him about the war?
>>
File: 20151102_221147.jpg (314 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20151102_221147.jpg
314 KB, 1280x720
Instructions included with lighter
>>
>>62046
When he was still around we lightly brushed on a lot of the stuff he went through, but I don't think it was a very pleasant experience for him. He served in the Royal Navy and would see his most notable combat during the Battle of Crete, which my father always insisted had a psychological impact on him. He certainly was never the 'soldier' type of man, rather, a quiet man who favoured walks in the countryside. What about your Grandfather? Did he ever talk about the war?
>>
>>62105
He never said much about the war itself as he never really fought on the front, but he got sent to a Gulag after the war nevertheless but was released later on. The other one was on a submarine and from what he had told me he enjoyed it there. Most that I know is about living in the russian occupied zones after the war, which my grandmother used to talk a lot about.
>>
>>62210
My maternal Grandmother talks a lot even now about her experiences during the war. She still even has her gas mask now. She lived in a rural area, but nonetheless the Germans would often bomb the railways near her home, which would often lead to a retaliation from the RAF. She used to look forward to the Germans bombing because it meant she wouldn't have to go to school the next day. Every morning after the railways were damaged her father would help with the rebuilding. My other Grandmother lived in Liverpool and was evacuated into the countryside to rural Wales. She grew really close to that family and even keeps in touch with their descendants today. They were both quite lucky in regards to rations during the war, because they were both on farms meaning they had ready access to a lot of foods. I think the best stories of the war come from the homefront, I think especially the perspectives of the German homefront are ignored
>>
>>62277
Tbh most stories I heard were depressing. My grandmother used to tell me how she would go to school the day after her hometown got bombed and ther would always be a classmate missing who got killed the night before.
>>
>>62303
Did the Germans have a mass evacuation program during the war where all the urban children were sent to live in the countryside?
>>
Back in Florida my grandfather has his grandfathers personal journal, it details his time spent in the Prussian army (1868-1871) and his journey to the Americas after the Franco-Prussian War I promised /int/ and /pol/ I'd scan it for them, I'll make a post here too when I get around to it.
>>
>>62303
Drop some story's anon.
>>
>>62339
Sounds cool, what made him move to the US after the Franco-Prussian war? You'd think that the whole unification thing would make him nationalistic as hell
>>
>>61880

>tfw a Nurse stole clock which belonged to my great-great grandfather from my grandfather

it gets me so fucking mad
>>
>>62329
I do not think so, she never left her small hometown and when the Russians came she had to destroy everything that could get her associated with the Nazis so she could pretend to have been a victim of Hitlers Nazi Germany. As far as I know there should still be some Reichsmark in the walls of her old house and some guns and uniforms down in the well.

>>62363
Ill see if i remeber some good ones.
>>
File: IMG_2022.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2022.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>61880
>>
>>62385
What is the deal with Nazi related items in Germany? Growing up I always had various pictures of men in uniform around my house, do Germans still hang pictures of Grandfathers ect, even if they're in nazi uniform?
>>
>>62403
That is such a cool item, in such good condition as well
>>
>>62364
He didn't want to fight anymore, he was having nightmares and PTSD induced hallucinations. He originally moved to Canada, then Michigan, then Florida.
>>
>>62363
There is one that I partly remeber, I do not know who exactly was involved but I'm trying my best to get it right.

So in the last few months of the war it was obvious to everyone that the Nazis would be loosing so the generals went paranoid and arrested/deported/shot everyone who they though was suspicious or cooperating with the enemy. So one day my greatgrandfather goes to work and forgets his ID card at home. So when he gets into a 'random' control he instantly gets put onto a truck for deportation. A friend of the family passes by and sees him and he calls for help. So the friend runs for his life and after running dor half an hour gets to my greatgranfathers house, takes his ID card and starts running again. Because the Nazis were checking everyones ID that passed the trucks had only moved to the next town in like two hours. So when she finally arrived he was still there, showed his ID and got off. If his friend wouldnt have passed the convoy my greatgrandfather would have been sent to a concentration camp or ended up in a mass grave.

>>62406
This is definitely not a thing, if you ask any family they will say that they were forced to cooperate with the Nazis but had nothing to do with them.
>>
>>62506
Please excuse my obvious spelling mistakes, I'm way too tired for proof reading.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Recent find
$20 at a flea market. Takes Edison based heating elements.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>62785
Another
$3 at flea market. Had a lot of paint on it and needed to be rewired
>>
at home I have roman / medieval shit and stuff
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.