[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are you doing with your humanities degree?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: stem.gif (12 KB, 471x466) Image search: [Google]
stem.gif
12 KB, 471x466
What are you doing with your humanities degree?
>>
>>616965
going to law school
>>
>>616972
Aren't there way too many lawyers?
>>
>>616965
Noting that an unlabelled y-axis means there is no value to your chart.
>>
>>616965
It's all in your head
>>
>>616998
It's a bar graph, you twit
>>
>>617017
All I can see is a magnitude, not a quality.
>>
File: bar-chart-vs-histogram.gif (9 KB, 361x178) Image search: [Google]
bar-chart-vs-histogram.gif
9 KB, 361x178
>>617024
Perhaps this will help
>>
>>616965

>humanities degree
>the meme is real

I figured everyone on this board was just pursuing humanities as a hobby (or minor) while getting a degree in something useful.
>>
>>617028
>actually trying to defend an unlabelled y axis.
>>
>>617028
The one on the left has a quality: $, the one on the right doesn't, it just has magnitudes.

The original post's chart (note that in your second image, it is called a bar chart), lacks any indication of how many tens of thousands WHATS are measured
>>
>>617030
>I figured everyone on this board was just pursuing humanities as a hobby (or minor) while getting a degree in something useful.

Given the quality of argument and the absence of reading even the most basic or seminal of texts, nobody here is doing a humanities degree.
>>
>>616998
>hmm what could 80000 stand for when we are talking about how many are graduating with each degree
>>
unemployed woooo. and posting on 4chan.
>>
>>617036
Oh now I get it. I'm not the OP but I thought you misunderstood the meaning of a bar graph. I just assumed it's students since it says so in the title and its talking about graduating...agreed OP could have labels it, but you're just being a fussy ward
>>
>>617044
Or could it be the earnings of each degree?
Or could it be students graduating who don't attain median pay?
Or could it be students graduating unemployed after 5 years?
Or students graduating and not employed in a field related to their degree after five years?
Or could it be marmosets?

We will never know.

Posting mislabeled graphs is the easiest way to detect a fuckwit from >>>/pol/. Get thee hence.
>>
>>617050
It's a bad graph, but if you aren't completely out of touch you'd realize mathematicians make more than English majors
>>
>>617105
>It's a bad graph, but if you aren't completely out of touch you'd realize mathematicians make more than English majors
Depends.
>>
File: the zone.png (229 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
the zone.png
229 KB, 500x378
>>616965
majoring in sociology, econ and math so not much to worry actually
>>
>>617116
We're obviously caring about some average
>>
>>617778
I'm not, you're obviously a cretin and managed to miss any meaningful disciplinary knowledge courses.
>>
>>616976
Not enough good ones. I'm doing it too.
>>
Boosting my GPA until I can move to the city to study economics.
Study is relatively cheap in Australia.
Until you get a decent job.
>>
>>616965
The obvious thing is that there are only 2 engineering degrees shown but I guess that CS is the most popular one now.

The reason why are so many people studying humanities nowadays is because:
>college life propaganda in media. All the movies about college student partying all the time. You CAN'T MISS IT, MAAAAAAAAAAAN! Except going to trade school and working while partying is much simpler AND cheaper to pull-off
>they're seen as easy
>once blue-collar work became outsourced, people saw that the ones with degrees of any sort had it much easier to cope with it, so they've swarmed the degrees en-masse. It caused disproportion in the other side as now we lack simple labourers but have tons of sociologists
>instant gratification generation wanting to exceed their childhood
>>
>>618069
>swarmed the degrees
universities*
>>
>>618069
Isn't this true for most majors?

People complaining and asking if this will be on the exam and shit, like college was some chore to get through, instead of genuinely being interested in the subject.
>>
>>618086

Yeah but at least the stem majors have weedout classes to filter out retards.
>>
>>618086
The problem is in our perceiving of degrees. They suddenly became mark of professional while irl. majority of engineers are glorified technicians who had calculus classes. Shoddy technicians that had calculus classes.
>>
>>616965
I get so tired of hearing the mantra that you've somehow wasted your life if you aren't in STEM. Frankly, I made a choice not to do STEM because I don't want a STEM related career. I'm interested in public policy and international affairs, and if I have to crunch numbers I'd rather it be for data analysis research on social issues to inform policy decisions. I made this choice fully realizing that it is not an easy field to break into for well paying jobs, but it interests me. You have your whole life to waste away doing things you hate to make someone else money. Now, I'm not sure what communications majors really do these days other than write click bait for low-rent blog sites, and psychology may as well be a self-diagnosis community Ed course, although psych degrees do factor into criminal science and other social sciences. Ultimately, liberal arts and humanities are about how you sell yourself, and having realistic expectations about career prospects. I will say one thing, I noticed that my friends from university that did hard STEM fields with no liberal arts weren't as equipped for critical thinking and transferring analysis tools outside of their field.
>>
>>616965

Philosophy graduate here. Not kidding, the biggest mistake I have made in my life is not continuing science. Sciences + maths were my best subjects at school but I hated being a nerd and I thought humanities would get me chicks. It didn't because I was still a nerd.

So I didn't have a choice when it came to university - I hadn't done the sciences in the last two years of school, so I couldn't do science. Philosophy was the most "sciency" degree I could think of (formal logic is a lot like algebra, really).

Web development was the only career direction I could think of because I knew something about it. I could try and get a grad scheme at some big FTSE 100 company, like a bank, big retail company, something like that, being some fucking office lackey doing God knows what, but I reckon that would be proper shit. Large faceless organisation where you're just another cog in the machine, plus I bet those companies attract people that will shit on you to advance their careers no matter what. Web development is perhaps a bit less ruthless.

I would like to go into law or medicine because I know that I'm capable of either. But either would require lots of money I guess.
>>
>>616965
Becoming a barista
>>
>tfw got my degree in Comp Sci
>tfw shitposting on /his from work

I made out like a bandit 2bh lads
>>
Humanities was an easy target for lazy or underqualified students and as such has become the object of oversaturation and dilution in our new era of degree as an obligation
>>
Government employee.
>>
File: 1453380496812.jpg (27 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1453380496812.jpg
27 KB, 640x640
>>616965

>tfw I really wanted to major in classics but got peer pressured into biology
>>
>>618508
>tfw CS student that studies humanities for fun
Truly the Patrician route
>>
Corporate paralegal for a bank. It's a living.
>>
>>616998
>probable STEMfag getting butthurt over muh data
>title of chart, "Students are not Graduating with the Degrees that Pay"
>key words to title, "Degrees" and "Pay"
>STEMfag having reading comprehension or knowing what key words are (lel)
>x axis is degrees
>y axis ?????????
Oh you're right, the chart is flawed. We must throw this data out.
>>
Making decent money as a court reporter
I wanted to see trials but was too poor for law school
I think it's worked out well
>>
>>616965
>ROTC
>BA History
>Get into Seminary
>Become Chaplain Candidate
>M.Div
>Become Army Chaplain
>Minister to soldiers, build ministry experience, see Christian soldiers grow in their relationship with God
>Possibly get Ph.D. after I get out and become either a history professor or pastor

This is the path I'm looking at. Not really my choice though. I'm glad to be chosen to do something so important, though.

The point of me posting is just to show that studying history is not a waste of time. History doesn't necessarily translate directly into something else, because it's not a trade. History is known to be one of the BEST preparatory majors for graduate studies in law, business, theology, and many other things. If you want to do something needing beyond a bachelor's, consider history if you like it. It will not hurt you, unless your upper education is going to be STEM. Within the humanities, history is the best.
>>
>>618580
Could you fill me in on what you actually do with a comp sci degree? Is it just "become a programmer" because that shit is lame.
>>
>>618647
>Is it just "become a programmer" because that shit is lame.
if you think being a programmer is lame then why bother with the field?
>>
>>618661
I don't. I'm just trying to understand what the appeal of comp sci is. From what I understand, the pay isn't great compared to other STEM fields and the work isn't exactly thrilling.
>>
>>618647
Get into computer information systems/security. It includes programming buts it's really not the focus
>>
>>618683
>the work isn't exactly thrilling.
i love code and discrete math and whatnot so i want to do it for a living
>>
>>618647
Generally speaking it's mostly for the diploma that allows you to make shitty piece of spaghetti code with no documentation for some bank, slack in work only solving critical issues and get huge paycheck with the satisfaction that if they'll throw you out, nobody will understand anything from your code so you always have an upper hand in negotiations.

If you don't have a degree banks likely won't want to hire you since they want actual professionals to handle their stuff.
>>
>>618683
The thing is that it can't go wrong.
You can be shitty coder so you'll make money in start-ups. You can be great and make lots of money in software programming and "serious" contracts.

If you'd pick chemistry and end up being poor chemist you're going to McDonalds. If you'd pick Electric Engineering and end up being shitty EE you'll earn pennies for making installations which is something you could do after trade school.
>>
I'm getting an engineering degree son
>>
Federal work.
>>
>2nd semester econ major, gunna minor in history

>still might have another semester of core class bs

When does the fun start
>>
This is going to sound arrogant but not everyone can do STEM at a much harsher degree than is true for the humanities. It was mind blowing how much easier upper division history courses were compared to my upper division Computer Engineering courses.

Although, for all the shit that humanities majors get, business majors are let off the hook so much. A business "degree" is the biggest crock of shit in the entire US education system and requires the brain power of a gnat to acquire.
>>
I'm a writer.

No, seriously, I'm a writer. I do freelance stuff for clients, I've gotten a few short stories published, and I'm going to be interviewing with a magazine a few weeks from now.
>>
BA in Anthropology here.

I've been stuck in a dead end office job for nearly a year. Making my move out of here by applying for a temp teaching certificate. I have an offer to teach AP US History and AP Human Geo at a high school, I'm probably going to take that up and get out of here.
>>
>>618896
The entire problem with humanities isn't the upper division.

I mean you need lots of competent teachers, researchers and such this is something nobody will argue with.

The problem is the lower division. People who should get a trade instead of degree.
>>
>>618904
How much can you realistically make doing this? Curious.
>>
>>618919
Thats a problem across the entirety of post-secondary education, not just humanities. We're pushing kids to go to college who have no business going to college.
>>
>>618931
Possibly. But with the decreasing value of just a high school degree are we going to have to ask more of people?
>>
>>618927
If you write good-paying articles at a fairly swift clip, you can make enough to live by.

It's incredibly hard to do this, however, which is why at the moment I'm living in my parents' house. So it's not necessarily something to pursue unless it's your genuine passion--or, again, if you're REALLY good at it, because sooner or later talent wins out and you'll hit it big.
>>
>>618918
>I have an offer to teach AP US History and AP Human Geo at a high school, I'm probably going to take that up and get out of here.
good luck Anon
>>
>>618871
I'm an econ major and the intro Micro/Macro classes are bullshit and boring as fuck. Intermediate/Advanced micro/macro is really great though IMO
>>
>>619275
Don't forget to mention that all the intro topics are either taught wrong intentionally or brush on PhD-level bullshit (I'm looking at you, price elasticity)
>>
>>618166
This is the problem. And the uni system as a whole has become vocationalized. As much as 4chan likes to STEM-bait it's not like those degrees are that much harder to attain. The whole system spoon-feeds you every subject, and you're not even expected to understand it.
>>
>>619317
>Don't forget to mention that all the intro topics are either taught wrong intentionally or brush on PhD-level bullshit
Academic here. This is true in ALL DISCIPLINES
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.