[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Noam Chomsky unfair to the French Intellectual Culture &
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
File: Chomsky.jpg (2 MB, 1712x2288) Image search: [Google]
Chomsky.jpg
2 MB, 1712x2288
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cqTE_bPh7M

I mean, that it's all bullshit?
>>
>Chomsky discussing literally anything other than linguistics
>being on point or insightful

"No"

>French
>Intellectual Culture

"No"

And I'm not going to listen to that old man groan on like he's fucking on his death bed.
>>
>>616966
why do you feel this way, anon.
>>
>Chomsky
>Post-Modernism

into the trash it goes
>>
>>616955
bump
>>
>>617281
why do you feel this way, anon.
>>
Don't know about this specific case but it is interesting how Chomsky is such a genial linguist while his political rants basically show that he didn't pass econ 101
>>
>>616955
Postmodernism is the cancer of modern social sciences. Chomsky fighting the good fight as always.

>>620333
>mainstream economics
>>
>>616977
because he disagrees with him
>>
Not saying Chomsky has a lot of insight on political or economic solutions, but god damn if I don't love seeing him school Zionists and fucktards like Stefan Molyneux.
>>
>>620333
He's a shit linguist.
>>
>Chomsky
No, thanks.
>>
>>620404
Good thing the real work is labelled post-structuralism, eh
>>
>>616955
It's not. It's the French academics that's pure and utter cancer. John Searle have commented on this as well, having spoken to Focault. Searle asked Focault why he didn't write like how he speak in private, and Focault told him that he wouldn't be taken serous in France if he did.
>>
>>620333
I don't see how this is interesting when it's pretty standard. Friedman is a good economist but wouldn't pass political philosophy 101.
>>
>>620505
Has he ever tried?
>>
>>620474
>Hating people and groups so much that you'd run to the arms of an unrepentant PR flack for the Khmer Rouge.

Pure. Fucking. AIDS.
>>
>>616955

I could never take anyone as racist as Chomsky seriously.

>Nuh uhh! The only reason any Asian/African/South American nation ever does anything wrong is BECAUSE THOSE EVIL FIRST WORLDERS MAKE THEM AND REMAKE THE INTERNATIONAL SYSTEM THAT FORCES THEM TO BE SHITHOLES! NOTHING IS EVER THEIR FAULT!
>>
>>620576
>Equating a critic of Israel's human rights violations with communism
Go ahead and call him a nazi, anon, I know you want to.
>>
>>620791
that's not what he said though
you blind or somethin
>>
>>620811
>implying not samefag
>still no objective criticism of Chomsky
>>
>>620576
>>620589
>samefagging
>making shit up
>>
File: Youweresaying..jpg (53 KB, 1589x304) Image search: [Google]
Youweresaying..jpg
53 KB, 1589x304
>>620832

Just like your idol, so sure of yourself despite knowing jack shit.
>>
>>620830
>defending pol pot
>>
File: 1454043819213.jpg (68 KB, 1589x304) Image search: [Google]
1454043819213.jpg
68 KB, 1589x304
>>620891
It's sadder if you're two different people.
>>
File: Look at all those Bourgeois.jpg (78 KB, 470x319) Image search: [Google]
Look at all those Bourgeois.jpg
78 KB, 470x319
>>620589
Don't forget...

>The Pathet Lao wuz good boyz and dindu nuffin!

>>620791
No. Chomsky ardently denied that the Khmer Rouge was participating in genocide and instead blamed the extermination of a third of Democratic Kampuchea's population on the CIA. A good faith argument can be made about the actions of Israel in either direction but to laud Chomsky after his record of supporting anti-western dictatorships while willfully ignoring their faults is to display the most base ignorance of history and hypocrisy.

I don't think he's a nazi. I think he believes what he says but the only way that he can make that work with the regimes that he's endorsed in the past is to engage in willful ignorance.

>>620830
>>620832
Really now. When has that NOT blown up in your face?
>>
>>620918
ebin photoshop skills friend
>>
>>620921
>I don't think he's a nazi. I think he believes what he says but the only way that he can make that work with the regimes that he's endorsed in the past is to engage in willful ignorance.
As has been said a million times, he never endorsed shit. He said that there wasn't enough evidence for the genocide and that people should be skeptical. When he considered the evidence enough, he condemned it too.
>>
>>616966
>Chomsky discussing literally anything other than linguistics
>being on point or insightful
>"No"
/thread

Chomsky is garbage in anything other than his field.
>>
>>620933
fuck off retard
>>
>>620947

Oh yeah, his review of Ponchaud as unreliable but his glowing review of Porter and Hildrebrand's work, who were basing their reports almost entirely off of the Cambodian government's documentation whereas Ponchaud actually talked to people; yeah, that's not an endorsement or anything.

Next up, David Irving doesn't endorse Nazism because he runs around saying there are no documents definitively linking Hitler to the Holocaust.

And let's not forget After the Cataclysm

>Oh yeah, some bad shit happened, but the scale's been exagerated by a factor of 100.

>Khmer Rouge agricultural policies produced spectacular results.

oops, turned out to be wrong.
>>
>>620947
>As has been said a million times
And it's been false a million times. He accepted the word of the Khmer Rouge over the word of someone who was on the ground in Cambodia. Attempting to handwave witnesses to genocide is tantamount to acting as a PR flack for the regime. He used his credibility to deflect attention away from one of the most evil regimes of the 20th century.

And that's why he no longer has any.
>>
>>620985
>his review of Ponchaud as unreliable
>They said Ponchaud's book Year Zero was "serious and worth reading" but "the serious reader will find much to make him somewhat wary.
Reasonable position.
On the other hand, of course he pays more attention to works that are critical of western actions due to his philosophy of responsibility.

>that's not an endorsement or anything
Indeed, that's not an endorsement.

>David Irving doesn't endorse Nazism because he runs around saying there are no documents definitively linking Hitler to the Holocaust
If Irving had been skeptical about the holocaust as it was happening and progressively accepted evidence as it emerged, i definitely wouldn't call him a nazi endorser.
>>
>>616977

Chomsky is not a very good philosopher in pretty much anything, since he rarely defends or even bothers to explain his assumptions. He has interesting arguments about media and languge but once outside of that, he goes off the rails of good argument pretty quick.

French "intellectual culture" is a commodity. You can take Paris tours of "intellectual hubs". You can go buy hundred dollar cakes at Revolutionary cafes. They have philosophy sections in airport bookstores.

There are plenty of insightful French philosophers, but much of po-mo anything is just simple marketing and sales.
>>
>>616955
>his daughter works at my uni
>she defends illegals
his whole family is just a bunch of hacks
>>
>>616955
>I must define what is considered a rogue state
>I will build this definition with the sole purpose of making sure America fits under this title
>WOW! Look how much of a rogue state America is! I know it because it fits the definition I created!
Chomsky a shit
>>
>>622864
I know fuck an all about him what the fuck is his definition of a "rogue state"?
>>
>>622880
He essentially takes the UN's definition and ridiculously generalizes it to the point that he can safely write an entire book on the fact that America fits under his new definition that absolutely no poltical-thinkers subscribe to.
>>
Is he trying to character assassinate French intellectuals?

Yes.
>>
>>622970
So basically he is an anti-American retard? How the fuck does the US ever fit that definition, what the shit.
>>
>>623189
I can see where it's going, and it's super easy:

1) America actually doesn't sign on to a lot of stuff we don't actually want to abide by, such as the UN convention on the rights of the child.

2) Sometimes because of reasons, we do sign on to stuff that no one abides by, and don't abide by it.
>>
>>623204
I guess but that doesn't make us a rouge state. We only started giving a fuck about the rest of the world relatively recently
>>
>>623189
No, he's someone that claims that people are responsible for the events they have influence over, and that criticizing other things is useless.

See:
>During your visit to Pakistan many who approached you were hoping to hear ready–made solutions to all the problems Pakistan is faced with. However, you seemed to be pressing them to think hard and think critically about the problems as well as the possible solutions. You held yourself responsible for taking certain measures and actions regarding the role of your country (US) and expected others to do the same. Is it true?
>Chomsky: It is definitely true. It is perhaps the most elementary of moral truisms, that we are responsible for the anticipated consequences of our own action, or inaction. It may be fine to study the crimes of Genghis Khan, but there is no moral value to condemning them; we can’t do anything about them. There is not much I can do – in fact, virtually nothing – about the very serious problems internal to Pakistan. I’d like to learn about them, and to understand them as best as I can. And I don’t refrain from saying what I think.
>(...)For intellectuals in Russia in the Communist days, condemnation of US crimes had little if any moral value; in fact, it might have had negative value, in serving to buttress the oppressive and brutal Soviet system. In contrast, when Eastern European dissidents condemned the crimes of their own states and society, it had great moral value. That much everyone takes for granted: everyone, that is, outside the Soviet commissar class. Much the same holds in the West, point by point, except with much more force, because the costs of honest dissidence are so immeasurably less. And exactly as we would expect, these utterly trivial points are almost incomprehensible to Western intellectuals, when applied to them, though readily understood when applied to official enemies.

Of course, to jingoists this is the highest form of treason. Hence the butthurt here.
>>
>>620501
>why he didn't write like how he speak in private
That's simply because you don't write the same way you speak in French.
He's writing a book, not a sms.
>>
>>623244
My problem with Chomsky is that he attacks only the Anglo-Saxon and not the Jews.

He speaks about the evils of Zionism but not the evils of Bolshevism, and he doesn't connect the two even though you know he knows their common root.
>>
>>623306
>My problem with Chomsky is that he doesn't pander to my retarded Neo-Nazi views.
>>
>>623306
>evils

Get a little more relativistic.
>>
>>623244
>There is not much I can do – in fact, virtually nothing – about the very serious problems internal to Pakistan. I’d like to learn about them, and to understand them as best as I can
That's bullshit. Who's stopping him from learning Farsi?
>>
>>623306
>but not the evils of Bolshevism
Did you even read my post?

>he doesn't connect the two even though you know he knows their common root
Ah, so you're a neonazi /pol/tard, i shouldn't have expected reading comprehension.
>>
>>623317
What's stopping him from solving the entire world's problems? What an asshole!
>>
>>616955
>French intellectual culture
French intellectual culture is not just Lacan and Badiou and whatever. This is americanized "French theory" which is mostly bullshit. French people read completely different stuff.
>>
>>623189
a rogue state is one that "severely restricts human rights, sponsors terrorism, and seeks to proliferate weapons of mass destruction." I don't see how the united states DOESN'T fit that definition.
>>
>>627151
Because you're fucking retarded?
>>
>>627177
or maybe because I'm not indoctrinated into thinking the united states is the hero of the world
>>
>>627204
So you're retarded, don't need to say it twice.
>>
>>627217
so it's retarded to think the united states is capable of doing wrong?
you could list any number of ways the us restricts human rights, the drone campaign is one way america sponsors terrorism, and the united states has the scariest nuclear arsenal in the world.
>>
>>627224
m8 I'm not a fan of burgers but there's no reason to be a retard. Judge your opinions on their own merit not by reacting to other peoples perceived arguments.

I'm talking about shit like this.
>>627204
>>
>>627151
>severly restricts human rights
Assuming that you're in America, the fact that what you're saying isn't illegal proves you wrong.
>sponsers terrorism
When?
>seeks to proliferate weapons of mass destruction
Having nukes doesn't make you a rouge state. I'm guessing Russia, China, France, the UK, and India are all rogue states too under your definition.
>>
>>627224
>you could list any number of ways the US limits human rights
List them.
>>
>>627234

read
>>627151
then>>627177
>>627177
and you arrive at >>627204
>>
>>627245
>having nukes doesn't make you a rogue state
yes, that's just one of three criteria to be a rogue state
>russia, china, france, the UK, and india are all rogue states too under your definition
and they would be if they met the other criteria
>>
>>627253
ok, you caught me
>>
>>627253
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+sponsored+terrorism
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+sponsored+dictators
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=us+violation+of+human+rights
>>
>>627283
>makes extremely bold claim
>expects detractors to look up the evidence for that claim themselves
>is surprised when he is expected to back up his statement with his own evidence
Well meme'd
>>
>>627294
I'm not the original guy. Do you want me to post the million links that talk about dictatorships and terrorism backed up by the united states instead of the link to the links? Should i not expect a minimum knowledge on the subject from someone that chips into the discussion?
And what kind of argument is this? Did the violation of human rights not happen if they are accessed through google but did if i post them myself?

>with his own evidence
What the fuck does this even mean?

Are you mentally challenged or something?
>>
>>616966
While his analysis of continental philosophy is pretty clearly wrong, the right-wing meme that Chomsky should only talk about linguistics (as if the people who say this have the slightest comprehension of his linguistic work) needs to stop.
>>
>>620921
Pure, bullshit.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150521164834/http://www.chomsky.info/onchomsky/1985----.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8VWUV1S9yk
>>
>>620921
Making shit up: the post
>>
>>616955
Maybe he's still salty? https://youtu.be/3wfNl2L0Gf8
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.