[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At its height would it be fair to call Mexico a world power?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: Mexican_cadet.jpg (96 KB, 1312x2000) Image search: [Google]
Mexican_cadet.jpg
96 KB, 1312x2000
At its height would it be fair to call Mexico a world power? How much influence did it have over other regional powers?
>>
No, while powerful, the Aztecs were in no way a world power. They didn't even know most of the world existed.
>>
File: 1389216488635.jpg (151 KB, 1395x1080) Image search: [Google]
1389216488635.jpg
151 KB, 1395x1080
>>864978

Mesoamerica =/= Mexico

Aztecs =/= Mexicans
>>
>>864963
I would say that while it was new spain, it definetaly a world power due to gdp, and just by seeing those old cities you can see how rich it was.
then in the 50s, 60s, it probably was the most powerful of the non aligned countries. it had a super infrastructure for the population, and a nuclear capabilities. I mean, no other country at the time could take communists and such without an american invasion except mexico. then at the beginning of the 70s as the government started losing power, and the united states really tried to make a coup happen in 1968 the country really went to hell. it's always has had a huge fucking economy, but with huge wage disparity.
>>
NOSOTROS
>>
>>865019
>At its height would it be fair to call Mexico a world power?
>At its height
>>
>>865019
Aztecs = Ruler of all Mexica
>>
>>864963
Exactly when was Meixcos Height? I dont think it's ever really got up off the floor.
>>
>>865024
what happened after the 60s that made mexico go down the gutter?
>>
File: pic-dump-208-28.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
pic-dump-208-28.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>>864978
>>865086
>>865090

>My sophomoric knowledge of history is so poor that I shit post in threads I cannot otherwise contribute to. Perhaps one day the History Channel will regurgitate a 30 minute special on this area of interest so that I may regale future anons with my armchair understanding of research done by interns and academic debutantes.

Never change, /his/.
>>
>>865033
FUERON
>>
>>865227
REYES
>>
File: yadungoo.jpg (24 KB, 257x223) Image search: [Google]
yadungoo.jpg
24 KB, 257x223
>>865033
>>865227
>>865238
>Nosotros fuimos reyes
ya dun goofd
>>
>>865184
Found the Mexican.
>>
>>865334
Are you retarded?
>>
>>865339
No. Are you?
>>
>>865151
While the PRI government was really powerful it did everything in its power to help the economy industrialize, get more scientific, and generally develop it by using oil revenues. then, with american pressure, and internal pressure for democracy things start to falter, and the PRI stops caring about developing and focuses on staying in power. it starts nationalizing factories, and borrowing money to keep people employed as a way to keep people happy and full of benefits, and it would have been ok jose lopez portillo takes power and goes full retard taking loans to live like a full on emperor, and giving retarded ass gifts all on really retarded loans based on oil. this collapses the economy after he leaves the presidency, but the government still is rich enough that things aren't too bad until the 1986 earthquake and the government refuses to take aid because "we're the latin american big brother, we're the one that takes refugees and gives aid". a shit load of money gets rederected to mexico city, provence starts to really lag behind because the money they need to develop, money that comes from their mineral revenues and taxes goes to keep people happy in mexico city and keep appearances. they go through really hardcore economic controls to keep inflation from collapsing the economy again, but corruption takes a crap ton of money the weaker the PRI hold on the country becomes. in 1994 the IMF starts imposing retarded rules on mexico, salinas de gortari start privatizing companies with loans from the federal government. the new government with zedillo sees a super efficient way to keep inflation down with a loan of 100 million dollars, no one gives it because not "capitalistic" enough
>>
>>865402
so inflation goes through the roof since they forbid the government from cracking down on investors from removing their money from the country and all of the sudden the loses half of its value. the US, European, and Latin american economies are so intertwined with mexico that the tequila effect comes and shits on everyone and mexico. it finally collapses the PRI government, the economy, and millions of people go to the USA.
>>
File: 1416580714582.png (3 KB, 448x357) Image search: [Google]
1416580714582.png
3 KB, 448x357
>>864963
>>
>>865024

To be fair both Mexico and Brazil established their own monarchies after independence.
>>
>>865409
damn... thats awful nigga. ty for the post
>>
>>865019
No, Aztecs literally = Mexicans
>>
>>865636
Mexicans were created by Indians having sex with Spaniards you mongoloid. Furthermore most Mexicans don't even descend from Aztecs but from other mesoamerican tribes.
>>
>>865636
There were multiple tribes in Mexico, dip. Not all Mexicans are descended from Aztecs, just like not all Italians are descended from Etruscans.
>>
>>865094
Right before it got slapped around by the US in the Mexican American war.
>>
The country had to fire most of its national police because they weren't sure who was working with the cartels and who weren't. What a joke.

As said before, maybe once upon when Spain was still a proxy leader but now I would only consider them a moderate or regional power. Their manufacturing sector and and overall exports have been increasing though.
>>
File: 1455418285237.png (304 KB, 469x446) Image search: [Google]
1455418285237.png
304 KB, 469x446
>>865769
>manufacturing sector and and overall exports have been increasing

Not for long, anon.
>>
>>864963
No. It was a regional power at best and even then it was pretty awful. Almost all of the northern territories were lawless and barren, outside of Texas. The military was plain awful. The economy was diverse, but poor. Hell, the closest Mexico ever came to being a world power was the Porfiriato and that fell apart pretty quickly thanks to the revolution.

>inb4 some butthurt PRI revisionist comes in and calls Diaz the worst thing that ever happened to Mexico
>>
Why did the US block the New World from becoming a true Neo-Europe? Imagine the Americas from Punta Arenas to Alert, speaking nothing but European languages and all first world. It would have been beautiful. In the 50s the world looked a lot, lot brighter.
>>
>>865641
For the record, the Aztecs are actually called Mexicans. Mexica is what the Aztecs called themselves.
>>
>>866185

Aside from an attempt to take Canada and taking the southwest from Mexico what did they block?
>>
>>866503
Mexica != Mexican. They are pronounced differently
>>
>>866770
The US interfered many times with Latino governmenta and economies. Look up the Monroe Doctrine.
>>
>>865641
Those would be mestizos. Mexicans are people born in Mexico.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.