[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/COLD WAR/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 18
File: flagscoldwar.jpg (142 KB, 1071x745) Image search: [Google]
flagscoldwar.jpg
142 KB, 1071x745
Let's discuss about how admirable and scumbag were both of them
>>
File: 51ZoulD6faL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (18 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
51ZoulD6faL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
18 KB, 280x280
atomic bombs and mutually assured destruction is fucking stupid
>>
File: sheen.png (410 KB, 869x500) Image search: [Google]
sheen.png
410 KB, 869x500
>>6129
>>
>>6129
t.b.h. I'm a little sad I was born too late to experience it.
>>
File: 0_c1a27_240b0638_XXL.jpg (258 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
0_c1a27_240b0638_XXL.jpg
258 KB, 1024x685
best era ever. i rooted for USSR desu
>>
File: portobello-nazi-burial2.jpg (361 KB, 987x565) Image search: [Google]
portobello-nazi-burial2.jpg
361 KB, 987x565
>>6129
The cold war made the world a very boring place
>tfw no ww3 stories to tell grandkids of infront of fireplace
>>
>>6438
i'd like to live in an 80's commieblock
>>
>>6578
>the world a very boring place
you never lived in asia, africa, or south america
>>
the space program of the CCCP was based
>>
>>7190
America needs a rival like that again. The country's grown complacent since the end of the cold war.
>>
File: russian_flag.gif (7 KB, 1359x909) Image search: [Google]
russian_flag.gif
7 KB, 1359x909
>>7224
soon baby
>>
File: Apollo_15_flag.jpg (33 KB, 445x290) Image search: [Google]
Apollo_15_flag.jpg
33 KB, 445x290
now american admirable things
>>
File: 1435956119483.jpg (40 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1435956119483.jpg
40 KB, 500x492
>create an interesting
>get ignored
>>
>>7224
China is coming senpai
>>
>>7817
china is not that strong
>>
Norway won the cold war.
>>
>>6129
AND IN THIS CORNER, WE HAVE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP AMERICA
>won the cold war
>landed people on the fucking moon
>still exists
>lots of naval power

AND IN THIS CORNER, WE HAVE HEAVYDRINK CHAMP SOVIET RUSSIA
>lost the cold war
>deceased
>first man in space
>lots of land power
>>
Communism needs a revival desu. fuck late capitalism
>>
>>8328
the "regional power " will rise again soon
>>
>>8328
>HEAVYWEIGHT
You got that right
>>
>>8173
USSR wasn't really that strong either tbqh besides the nukes.

Sure they got into space but they still had a shit quality of life.
>>
>>8535
>believing in cold war propaganda
>>
File: 1235243784.jpg (16 KB, 448x291) Image search: [Google]
1235243784.jpg
16 KB, 448x291
>>8486
Jocularity aside, we really do have a massive obesity problem. After going to Germany in the summer I can't believe how fucking chunky our population is.
>>
>>8328
>>lots of naval power
That's what counts in the end. Global trade wouldn't exist without the US Navy guaranteeing free passage.
>>
>>8570
>propaganda
Just ask any ~50 year old person that lived in the Warsaw Pact if they liked Soviet rule.

I have. Many times. They all said it was horrible unless you were part of the political elite.
>>
>>8723
>Global trade wouldn't exist without the US Navy guaranteeing free passage.
I think you may be overstretching that statement a bit. It's not like any major powers are going around smashing apart merchant vessels to plunder cargo.

It's kinda like the Barbary pirates of the early 19th century but with Somalians.
>>
>>8755
others say yes, others say no
LOL
>>
>>8835
Well, the US military would have serious trouble dealing with the USSR on land. However, at sea they held and still hold an overwhelming advantage. That's why they're so concerned about the SCS, because China is threatening the dominance they've had for 70 years. Moreover, the global system that America built based on free trade meant that America became the richest power ever.
>>
>>8900
Son of ex-Politburo member pls go
>>
>>8955
i am a thirdworlder latinoamerican btw
>>
>>8242
Antarctica won the cold war.
>>
File: n-OZONE-HOLE-large570.jpg (13 KB, 570x238) Image search: [Google]
n-OZONE-HOLE-large570.jpg
13 KB, 570x238
>>9433
hell yeah
>>
>>8755
>They all said it was horrible unless you were part of the political elite.
Nobody from my family or my neighbours families were, yet everyone who I know has fond memories of those times. You have to be pretty fucking brainwashed to think that everything was just bad and nobody except the higher ups found it good.
>>
>>9661
>>9313
>>8955
You know it's really as easy as looking at the status of East Germany vs West Germany to determine which was better off.

And East Germany still suffers from post-war downfall.

Communism sucked.
>>
>>9774
both germanies were c*cked
>>
>>9812
But at least in West Germany they had a higher standard of living in comparison to East Germany.
>>
File: 1442880298267.jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1442880298267.jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>9869
>>
File: 122343263456.jpg (208 KB, 960x684) Image search: [Google]
122343263456.jpg
208 KB, 960x684
>>9903
All it takes is a quick Google search to realize that there are still major differences even after two decades of the reunification.
>>
>>10004
because the USSR collapsed,....if the US collapsed all of his allies would be poor as fuck
>>
File: 12345263789.gif (134 KB, 410x309) Image search: [Google]
12345263789.gif
134 KB, 410x309
>>10151
>>
>>9774
I remember reading this same post before in some other board.
But let's have a little discussion here. After the end of WWII, Germany was occupied by three main forces. USSR, America and France. The latter two formed a sort of alliance and ruled over it and poured a shitton of money into to compete with USSR. USSR on the other hand had to restore Eastern Germany and itself after WWII. At some point Stalin did suggest to the Western politicians to have a public voting to see whether or not Germany should be reunited again. That proposal was ignored. Also, you're ignoring the fact that Eastern Germany doesn't represent all of USSR. There are capitalist countries that have been capitalist for decades as well and yet they're considered shitholes.

>>10004
I can tell you that a majority of these sorts of google searches are wrong. As someone who was born and raised in USSR and then started living in a capitalist country and then even in a country that joined EU. We got fucked very hard after joining the EU. Whilst my country was propsering as a communist one.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff3j9d8K17c
Everything you need to know about the lead up to the cold war tbqh
>>
>>10323
wtf is this shit?
>>
>>10397
visual poetry from an Armenian genius you little shit
>>
>>10004
Also, Germany, both back then and now, is under very tight control and a lot of the information that is being shown to the public is cherrypicked, not that I'm saying that in Eastern Germany everything was ideal. I also suggest you google the Die deutsche Karte book and how it was published by Komossa in Austria, instead of Germany, because Komossa feared for his life. Ironically enough, Komossa went missing after his book made a pretty big uproar in Germany.
>>
>>6129
>Shit thing of the USA
operation condor
>Shit thing of the USSR
Treated Hungary and checoslovakia like shit
>>
>>8723

Tbf naval power projection isn't as much of an issue when your country stretches across all of Asia and has land access to pretty much anything you need.
>>
File: 1398844523001.png (53 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1398844523001.png
53 KB, 645x773
>>7190

>Korolev died before bringing it to the apex

Just why?
>>
>>11023
That's how land vs naval powers come up though. Britain needed a navy to get anywhere so they become a naval power. France needed to fight Germany so they became a land power.
>>
>>11047
I have the same feeling, if korolev never died, those americans would get BTFO in the space race easily
>>
>>9433
It'll lose in the long run though.
>>
>>6129
Bump, because this is a cool thread
>>
>>6129
Bumb
>>
>>10462
At first I was all "Khachaturian? I love that noise" and then I realized how important reading comprehension is. Interesting vid.
>>
>>6129
I lived about half a mile from a Cold War communications backbone relay tower in the 70s and 80s down in the south of England.

As a teen i worried about how we would live in a nuclear winter (especially having seen Threads) but i never figured out that even tho the tower was always there it was a high profile target.

With Soviet ICBM accuracy in those days a nuke just as likely to go off above my bedroom. Worrying about surviving the strikes was a bit of waste of time.
>>
File: 1436422970463.png (34 KB, 551x300) Image search: [Google]
1436422970463.png
34 KB, 551x300
>>13541
>i will never live the cold war times
>>
>>7817
China is a paper tiger.
The US just needs to stop bending over.
>>
Better question is why does anyone take the US seriously? They're only good for those same nukes that other countries have. All their special forces constantly fail when competing in international matches with other special forces. I mean if you look at US war history, they've practically never beaten anyone in a war that hasn't been somehow sabotaged.
>>
>>13873
>Better question is why does anyone take the US seriously?
because they're rulling us today
>>
>>13918
How are "they" ruling "us"? The only kind of impact I can feel the US having on me at any time of the time is forcefeeding shitty products and commercials down my throat over the internet. Otherwise they've got nothing on me.
>>
>>13873
Because the world still runs on the dollar, and because the US is still the world's largest economy.
>>
>>13608

Like most of my generation I was fascinated by war and military tech too. I remember reading Red Storm Rising back when Warsaw Pact was still about and thinking that yeah was a good chance we could do this and I might live when it kicked off.

I spent more time worrying about our boys at the Fulda Gap and Atlantic convoys and Backfire attacks than i did about nukes.

I wonder how close it got if the Sovs actually knew that Star Wars was years behind what they thought it was
>>
>>14007
this
>>
>>13873
Only media public opinion and politicians have held back the US to date.

No one has witnessed a fully mobilsed free fire no limits US response that would have witnessed in the Cold War.
>>
>>14174
>Only media public opinion and politicians have held back the US to date.
Held back from what exactly? Why did they need to hold back in Afghanistan? Or do you honestly think that the US tried holding back in Vietnam?
>>
>>14072
that sounds like a truest YOLO
>>
>>14388
I don't think holding back is the right word. Afghanistan and Vietnam were both lost because public opinion forced us to pull out before we finished the job. The insurgency and Vietcong didn't have the resources to last indefinitely, but the American military with the resources of the country behind it certainly could.
>>
>>14388

Do you really not understand the difference between total war and political, proxy or other types of asymmetrical warfare?

It means things like not crossing borders of other nations like in Vietnam for instance, are you serious?
>>
>>14569
>hurr we would have won vietnam if we wanted it!!111
>>
>>14569
>Afghanistan and Vietnam were both lost because public opinion forced us to pull out before we finished the job.
And because you were having major losses. And Afghan may have been won over time, since you stopped supporting them when they went they went rogue, but the Vietnam situation was different, since the Vietnamese got support from USSR.

>>14704
>Do you really not understand the difference between total war and political, proxy or other types of asymmetrical warfare?
Do you? Especially if you take into consideration that during the Cold War it was all about nukes? So you wouldn't have been able to do jack shit if shit were to go actually down.
>>
>>14760

>Do you? Especially if you take into consideration that during the Cold War it was all about nukes? So you wouldn't have been able to do jack shit if shit were to go actually down.

Yeah because disregarding international law and waging total war in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia would have triggered MAD, sure thing.
>>
>>14760
>Major losses
>2300 deaths in 14 years of combat
I will admit that Vietnam was a fucking mess with over 200 thousand deaths, but Afghanistan was definitely winnable.
>>
>>14992

No, it is never winnable to wage a war with rules, warfare has no rules. The idea of applying rules or codes of conduct in warfare is ridiculous.

We need to stop doing this.
>>
>>14944
At this point I just got to ask as to what point you're even trying to make here? Are we now discussing hypothetical scenarios of what could've triggered a nuclear war or not?
>>
>>15174
Aren't declarations of war and peace agreements or agreement to capitulate rules by that means?
>>
>>15174
If both sides agree to have rules, then the Geneva conventions are a convenient set to use.
If they don't, then they don't.
>>
>>15291

>US conflicts
>declarations of war

pick one

>>15302

What?
>>
File: USSR_Emblem_1936.png (206 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
USSR_Emblem_1936.png
206 KB, 2000x2000
bump
>>
>>15538
If both sides agree that they want to follow rules during war, then they have a set that they can both easily access and agree to.
If one of them doesn't, then neither of them have to.
>>
What are some good representations of the Cold War in fictional media? I feel like it's gotten really popular lately with things like the Americans and Deutschland 83 (which are both fantastic imo)
>>
>>15801
>What are some good representations of the Cold War in fictional media?
well i live in mexico, and it's all
>SOVIETS BAD SOVIETS BAD, USA GOOD!!!!
>>
>>15713

>If one of them doesn't, then neither of them have to.

That's my point, the US automatically applies the same set of rules or conduct to every conflict.

It is never winnable. Fighting asymmetrical warfare through conventional means is always going to be a recipe for disaster.
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.