[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What happened here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
File: RICE.jpg (18 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
RICE.jpg
18 KB, 200x200
What happened here?
>>
bomp
>>
>>60573

tl;dr

>bunch of native hunter-gatherers, pirates, pirates just looking for metal good for smelting into swords, farmers etc. minding their own business
>Magellan lands on Mactan in the name of the Spanish crown
>gets BTFO when they try to conquer
>get rekt by the Spanish when they come in greater numbers
>Christianized and Hispanized
>Spaniards get BTFO by Murrikans
>buy us and Cuba and Puerto Rico off of the Spanish for $20 mill
>were independent by then and Murrikans comes by warring us cus they say we own us
>come under American rule for fifty years
>they erase as much of the old Spanish influence and independence ideas as they can
>almost get released as a free country
>Japan invades
>have to stay under Murrika for a few more years just cus
>be free
>get a dictator
>>
>>61697
was it really just hunter gatherer tribes all the way up until spain came knocking?

Did the chinese trader/pirates or those Sulus down south not manage to get anything like a kingdom going?
>>
>>61737

Sulu, down in Mindandao, and Tondo, where Manila is now, were a thing yea.

Not all of us were hunter gatherers, but a good deal were when the Spanish came knocking. Not like we weren't somewhat civilized, seeing as we had trade relations with the Chinese and other Asiatics, as well as having our own alphabet which is admittedly heavily influenced by Sanskrit.
>>
>>61792
thats cool
its just i just noticed you could see siamese kingdoms and dai viet and however you spell those cambodian kingdoms among all them people in indochina but when you get out to the islands separated from the Asian mainland, things get a bit sparse
>>
>>61881

Obstacles are a great hindrance to the sharing of ideas and technology. Seas being one of them.

Though Majapahit and Sri Vijaya were amazing empires in the insular SEA region.
>>
File: Cuadrillero.jpg (55 KB, 224x332) Image search: [Google]
Cuadrillero.jpg
55 KB, 224x332
>>61697
>get rekt by the Spanish when they come in greater numbers
Wrong. Philippine tribes was rekd when the Spics converted some of them and united them under Catholicism.

In Few numbers due to distance, Spics realized they can never have a military advantage in the Philippines. Unlike in the Americas, the locals aren't fazed with foreigners, gunpowder weapons are known, and steel was being produced.

Spanish Missionaries did see that Pagan Flips were bitched by Muslim Flips, who were more powerful, and saw Catholicism as its way out of such bitchdom. So Spics initiated a Conversion for Protection scheme that led to shitloads of Pagans converting to Catholicism so they can live in fortified towns.

Under Catholicism, Flip Christian warriors united the islands for Spain.

There never was a great hispanic invasion fleet that came here. Spics came in batches of a few hundreds given the distance between Spain and Philippines.

As a result as well, Local Nobles that converted enjoyed great privileges under Spanish Rule. Furthermore since reliance on local support was of utmost importance, the Racist Casta system wasn't much implemented in the Philippines.
>>
>>61962

Yea, I'm not all that well-versed in my local history. I had a feeling they used the same tactics here that they did with Mexico but eh. I was just biding my time, answering to the ebst of my ability till someone like you shows up.
>>
>>61962
>tfw the perfidious visayas sold the entire country try to the spics
>>
>>60573
Only the Japanese could be worse cunts than the Yanks.
>>
>>61962
what are those weapons? javelins or atlatls or what?
>>
File: 9780345328168.jpg (38 KB, 400x430) Image search: [Google]
9780345328168.jpg
38 KB, 400x430
>>62081
speaking of japs and yanks and flips

whats /his/ opinion on this
>>
>>62070
Fucking Visayas. To hell with the lot of them, I say.
>>
File: uniformes_colegios_militaresG.jpg (2 MB, 2484x1483) Image search: [Google]
uniformes_colegios_militaresG.jpg
2 MB, 2484x1483
>>62085
Javelins. In the 1500's-1700's, Thanks to being shat on by the Monsoon for half a year every year, the Philippines was a shit country for Muskets to operate in.

With the addition of the use of local warriors as colonial troops, Spain still relied on local methods of warfare in the jungles for quite a long time, with Spanish Filipino auxiliaries using traditional weapons while wearing European uniforms.

Pic related. The uniform and numbers of major Spanish garrisons in the late 1700's in the Philippine Islands. Chap at the upper left.
>>
>>62169

muh Manila imperialism

desu Federalization is the best option for the country, hard to cut the country up and see what goes to who though.
>>
File: mehmet pinoy.jpg (235 KB, 485x1110) Image search: [Google]
mehmet pinoy.jpg
235 KB, 485x1110
>>62070
A lot of people across the islands converted. Not just Visayans.

And there was no country to sell. Spanish soldiers were recognized under the tradition of powerful groups acquiring political power via acknowledgement of their might. The same way chiefdoms in the Philippines were established among natives.
>>
>>62206
I don't even live in Manila.

I agree.
>>
>>62112
Karnow is almost certainly out of his field. The Pulitzer is worth shit. I'm sure the AHA gave it a great review.
>>
>>62206
I'd love to see that happening considering manila, calabarzon produce almost half the country's GDP.

I wonder what calabarzon can do with 2 trillion pesos of taxable income when it doesn't have to share with the southrons.
>>
>>62708

Probably more screeching, some people jsut cannot ever be satisfied and no matter what the concession, will never be happy
>>
>>62737
They'll come crawling back when basic government services stop in the south, that or well get even more southern immigrants squatting on private property
>>
>>62793

Department of deporting iskwaters back to their home regions when? Or maybe getting the army on it might be cheaper.
>>
>>62825
Those people are perpetual victi!s desu

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a general Luna shitpostfest
>>
>>62968
Why, are you a butthurt Cavite shit?
>>
>>62968

we dindu nuffin, it wasn;t our fault we jsut found ourselves on this land and we're gonna fight for it!
>>
>>62206
The Bangsamoro region is historically untenable since Misuari made up the concept in the 1970s.

Even then, the Muslims in the south were never really united, that's why they had their own sultanates and shit. Regionalism is a thing now and forever.
>>
>>61697
>>were independent by then

lol
>>
>>63063

We had our own government, a constitution and by all rights a state
>>
>>60573
Piracy?
>>
The lucoes were arguably one of the richest trading centers in sea bar the mollucas. Fucking soics had to burn tondo and selurong to the ground.

Oh and the reason is mostly because we had a favorable trade deal with the chinks.

>tfw Tagalog culture because!e heavily hispanized after
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luções
>>
>>64034
I meant malaca my bad
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.