[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What children's history books piqued your interest as a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 19
What children's history books piqued your interest as a child?

For me it was this Titanic book, which was impossible to get from the school library more than once a year because the reserve list was ongoing.
>>
I FUCKING LOVED THAT BOOK

literally as a kid would spot out all the people that were pooping in a bathroom. i think there were like 3
>>
>>602355
I don't remember Ken Marschall being that cheeky...

man the 90s Titanic boom was a good time for books
>>
>>602337
Ben and Me

Mr. Revere and I

there was a good one about a low-caste boy in ancient egypt, but I forget the title.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>602337
The Titanic was the thing that got me interested in history but it was this toy. It came with a book that I can't find for the life of me but I still have the toy. I'd sink it all the time and read about what time each deck sank and I started wondering about the people on board's lives and then I was addicted to history.
>>
my grandpa was a history teacher and he had books about ww1 and ww2 just popular history things, lotsa pictures

i couldnt even read
>>
>>602337
I had a bunch of diffrent cross section books like this
One was of dark ages, one had a cross section of a ship of,the line, ect.
>>
>>602337
Weren't there also ones for a medieval castle and an 18th-century warship?

Ditto on those being practically unobtainable
>>
>>603328
I had those ones.
The same book had cities and a few others iirc
>>
>>602337
Damned, I loved that book (even though I was creeped out by one picture of bedsheets floating during the sinking of the ship...thought it were the souls of the dead xD ). Still has a special spot in my bookshelf to this day.
>>
had that book

have the cross section of the HMS victory as well

certainly influenced what I drew, and how as a kid
>>
>>602337
>>603964
Fuck I've been looking for these two books, along with the one with a medieval castle. They were fucking awesome.
>>
File: manofwar3.jpg (260 KB, 1011x635) Image search: [Google]
manofwar3.jpg
260 KB, 1011x635
>>603328
Yes. I think you're thinking of the Stephen Biesty books for the warship and castle. he did a Titanic book as well but it's different from the one in OP.
>>
File: 1449544432211.jpg (951 KB, 1900x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449544432211.jpg
951 KB, 1900x1200
>>605164
>>
>>602337
>That book
HOLY SHIT OP MY NIGGA
>>
File: bigAmunRa.jpg (983 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
bigAmunRa.jpg
983 KB, 1800x1200
>>605183
>>
>>605164
>badly injured seamen were thrown overboard
holy fuck I knew they did that with the dead
>>
Post more please.
Pls friendo
>>
someone dump the medieval castle pics

>tfw I gave all of these books to my local library
i feel like a retard
>>
>>605218
It'd probably depend on how badly one was injured and which navy they were serving under.
>>
File: bigTombWorkersVillage.jpg (837 KB, 1800x1059) Image search: [Google]
bigTombWorkersVillage.jpg
837 KB, 1800x1059
>>
File: hIDxztR.jpg (721 KB, 1930x1100) Image search: [Google]
hIDxztR.jpg
721 KB, 1930x1100
Spanish Galleon...

>guy sitting on the crapper

>>602355
>>602452
That was in the Biestly Titanic book, not the Marschall version.
>>
Out of curiosity are all you from Northern Ireland?

I've always wondered how much the Titanic is taught outside NI, as it's like out magnum opus
>>
>>605362
USA here
>>
>>605362
I'm from the USA.

I'm going to hazard a guess that most people who have memories of lots of Titanic in elementary school were born in the late 80s or early 90s, since when the film came out there was a big boom in Titanic's popularity. Long-ass reserve lists at the library, Scholastic book fairs with loads of Titanic books, teachers suddenly stocking them in their classroom libraries, etc.

So we weren't "taught" Titanic in school, but there were Titanic books in the library... then when the film came out more books were published (or re-released) and they became hot ticket items at school. The only time it was formally brought up in my school district was when we were learning about WWI and the book compared the death toll from the Lusitania to Titanic.

Other than that, any use of Titanic was outside of the curriculum. I had a social history class where every Wednesday was "Discussion Day" and people could bring up any history related topics, we talked about Titanic a handful of times when there was news regarding survivors dying or new findings. I did a report on titanic when the teacher let us choose anything to do a report on.

I would say it's a really popular topic in the USA but probably not in the same way it is in Northern Ireland. Like we have kitschy Titanic Museums where the tour guides are cheesy actors and there's giant blocks of ice so you can ~*~feel what it was like~*~ back then. And inflatable Titanic slides. Which, as a kid seemed cool but as an adult holy fuck, who thought this was okay?
>>
>>602337
Not exactly a history book, but the Asterix the Gaul series was as based as it gets.
>>
File: 1374190395617.png (8 KB, 454x425) Image search: [Google]
1374190395617.png
8 KB, 454x425
>>605164
Cheers anon, I couldn't find anything about either of the books I mentioned when googling the book series in the OP
>>
ANON PLS KEEP POSTING PICS
>>
File: bigKrak.jpg (1 MB, 1940x971) Image search: [Google]
bigKrak.jpg
1 MB, 1940x971
>>606125
>>
File: bigBruges.jpg (939 KB, 1800x1100) Image search: [Google]
bigBruges.jpg
939 KB, 1800x1100
>>606152
>>
File: I've got you.jpg (160 KB, 602x474) Image search: [Google]
I've got you.jpg
160 KB, 602x474
>>
File: gregory_winter.gif (174 KB, 329x475) Image search: [Google]
gregory_winter.gif
174 KB, 329x475
dear america used to be my jam. Rereading these as an adult (along with Dear Canada) they could get pretty dark. Dead babies, murder and scalping, implied assault, that one book where a 14 year old ends up marrying a 30+ year old man who dies horribly then remarries a 20-something guy
>>
File: bigCastle.jpg (728 KB, 1451x1200) Image search: [Google]
bigCastle.jpg
728 KB, 1451x1200
>there's a siege on a castle
>you're on the crapper
>>
>>609953
what's with the asshole just curled up in a ball in the lower right corner not talking to his plank bro stuck in that box
>>
>>602337
Oh, this bring me memories...

That book, indeed.
>>
>>602337
my fucing nigger

these cross section books were the bomb
>>
>>609967
Looks like he's in a dungeon. So probably miserable and starving and trying to sleep. The guy in the 'box' is a skeleton?
>>
detail from one of Biesty's ship books

jesus! I can't believe these were in our school library.
>>
File: d0avT.jpg (327 KB, 1107x738) Image search: [Google]
d0avT.jpg
327 KB, 1107x738
>>610053
dropped the pic
>>
>>609953
are they throwing people down the crapper?
if that's is disposal of bodies to prevent disease isn't it inefficient? also they could jam it with a corpse. trowing corpses over the walls seems more logical
>>
there was some book on medeivil shit. It was dank as hell, had a page that depicted every type of spear and polearm, also depicted a battle where the "french showed up late, as usual." Also had a castle depiction

it's lost forever though
>>
>>610059
this book was my shit when i was a little kid, god damn. thanks for the nostalgia
>>
File: img_1718.jpg (98 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
img_1718.jpg
98 KB, 600x450
>>610063
I don't know if it would jam, since there are some recorded incidents of invaders getting into castles by using the latrine chutes. (Château Gaillard being the most famous). Here's the view up a chute at castle Ballymoon.

I've never heard of bodies being disposed that way but if the castle was being attacked, it would be easier to dispose of them this way than risk exposing yourself at the wall.
>>
File: 690537.jpg (32 KB, 318x320) Image search: [Google]
690537.jpg
32 KB, 318x320
>bought this book at a book fair after seeing the animated film
>know nothing about the real history
>book obviously ends with talking about how the family was executed, complete with illustration of their murder and making sure to note that Anastasia's dog was also shot and his frozen corpse was later found

good times
>>
>>610085
i wasn't' thinking of corpses jamming the vertical chute, but rather its end (if it's at an angle as shown in the drawing)
>>
>>610130
Ohhh okay I see what you mean.

I wonder if maybe that was the intention, actually? Since invaders could come up through the wider chutes. Jam it with bodies and it makes it harder for them to get up.
>>
>>603140

Neat story, for real.

Makes me think you're an autist tho.
>>
>>610402
>being curious about history makes you autistic

why are you on /his/
>>
File: image.jpg (17 KB, 167x255) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17 KB, 167x255
Lady bird adventures from history
>>
>>605239
>Biesty
>people taking a shit

Sounds about right
>>
>>610063
No, it's a spy that tries to sneak into the castle through the shitter shaft and dies. Then they pull the corpse out. It's described in the book.
>>
File: silverwing.jpg (22 KB, 229x346) Image search: [Google]
silverwing.jpg
22 KB, 229x346
Based bats
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.