[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Were Romans the first historical society to experience collective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Amphi-Rome.png (435 KB, 2107x1540) Image search: [Google]
Amphi-Rome.png
435 KB, 2107x1540
Were Romans the first historical society to experience collective mental illness?
>>
>>601208
No, they didn't invent religion.
>>
>>601208
sure
>>
...No
What mental illness would this be?
Regardless Rome was not the first society by a long shot.
>>
>>601208
No, but no one cares about India, China, Babylon (despite being in Bible) and Orthodox/Muslim empires cuz ethnocentrism.
>>
File: tip o the wing m'lady.webm (1 MB, 630x354) Image search: [Google]
tip o the wing m'lady.webm
1 MB, 630x354
>>601215
>>
>>601217
Mass hysteria/imperial and military cult. Purpose to itself. Absolute delusions and detachment from reality present in the most, if not all, contemporary writers and historical accounts. Being so much raised as a member of the society you're no longer mere human and things that applied to human/indoeuropean society were completely changed as well as the image of the world itself.
Greeks and even Babylon had that healthier perspective on the world.
>>
>>601208
Pretty much any society with long-term prosperity will experience collective mental illness at some point.
>>
>>601208
I'd say it was the Hebrews.
>>
>>601239
So what you're saying is that they had a society.
>>
>>601239
Would you be libertarian by any chance?
>>
>>601220
pre republican chinese had made it clear that religion is superstition.

quote confucius >《敬鬼神而远之》: respect the ghost/gods (supernatural beings) but also keep away from them.

Besides that, folk's belief/superstition has always been the dominant among chinese rather than buddhist or "confucianism" ( the classifying of east asian world under confucianism is western thing ).

The folk's belief are mostly animism which comes from fear/respect on nature, and also ancestor worshiping, because chinese believe that instead of some imaginary sky father, it is their beloved and respectful precursor's intelligence and legacy that bring them their uplifted society, civilization. And it is more a passed down traditions than heavy indoctrination.
>>
My grandma thinks that the reason the roman empire fell was because god was angry at them for being homosexuals and decided to completely and utterly annihilate it.

Grandma was never too big of a history buff.
>>
>>601363
>pre republican chinese had made it clear that religion is superstition.
>quote confucius >《敬鬼神而远之》: respect the ghost/gods (supernatural beings) but also keep away from them.
Yeah, they the intelligentsia and urban folk went thru an atheist phase, just like all the other civilizations I mentioned. We're going thru an atheist phase, but will return to religion eventually, like the folk religion of the Chinese.
>>
>>601239
I thought you meant the lead in their plumbing and winemaking turned them all mental.

'cause that happened, too.
>>
>>601215
Reddit post
>>
Lead will do that to ya, you know?
>>
>>601208
>all those bread and circuses in Italy
It just shows how outright decedent the late empire and Pax Romana became.
>>
>>601224
Fedora memes are like the smelly pits of 4chan posts. You know a cuck's behind it.
>>
>>604175
The late empire wasn't actually very decadent at all, after Diocletian's reforms pretty much all of the curiales got fucked in the ass and stopped paying for public entertainments, monuments etc. in the cities.>>604175
Classical Roman urbanism was dead by the 5th century
>>
>>601239
>Mass hysteria/imperial and military cult

Sumer worshipped it's Lugals as demi-gods. It's not a novel concept for urban cultures to worship their kings.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.