[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who won the war of 1812?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
Who won the war of 1812?
>>
Piss off
>>
UK/Canada

America tried to steal Canada from the Brits, they failed.
>>
>>601009
American propaganda victory, British/Canadian tactical victory
>>
>>601009

Status quo ante bellum. A draw.
>>
File: Night_Bivouac_of_Great_Army.jpg (395 KB, 994x674) Image search: [Google]
Night_Bivouac_of_Great_Army.jpg
395 KB, 994x674
>>601009
The Russian winter
>>
>>601124
Actually, Napoleon was defeated before the winter started.

It wasn't as bad as with Swedes (the got hit by "Russian Winter" in the middle of summer), but it was still autumn.
>>
>>601009

Failure of one US strategic objective, the seizure of British Canada. Success in the other, ie the cessation of the seizure and impressment of US merchant crews and wares.

British strategic failure in that it was an expensive distraction from the problems in Continental Europe. Tactical humiliation in St. Louis mostly irrelevant.

The whole thing was one giant clusterfuck, US moral victory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nur5zBObQag
>>
>>601323
Are you saying that because he started to retreat in october?
You're trying to sound very clever, but you know nothing.
Napoleon wasn't defeated yet when he started to retreat.
He did so because he didn't want to chase the Russian anymore.
Then cold and starvation caused by winter devasted his armies during the retreat, which is what really defeated him.

You seem to dumbly assimilate retreat to being pushed back by the enemy, but warfare is much more complicated than that
>>
>>601009
Tchaikovsky of course
>>
>>601009

Not directly related to winning or losing, but I once read somewhere, (don't remember where) that the single biggest lasting effect of the War of 1812 was how it forced America to start developing domestic industry instead of continually importing stuff from Europe.

Is there anything to this? Any sources I could read up more on the phenomena?
>>
>u.s. soldiers not even using tricorns
I am offended
>>
>>601038
The US succeeded in conquering the Amerindian nation that Britain was trying to form out of spite.
>>
>>601388
Europe had been blockaded long before 1812.
>>
>>601375
> You're trying to sound very clever, but you know nothing.
Can't you google a bit, before trying to show off you mighty intelligence?

Until Battle of Berezina temperature was uncharacteristically high. Even the river hadn't frozen at this point.
>>
>>601410
>implying America's biggest trading partner at that time wasn't the UK.
>>
>>601375
>>601420
Y'all nigga wrong
Neither the winter nor the Russian army defeated the French
Diseases contracted by Napoleonic troops through fucking Polish women before the Russian campaign started is what decimated the French army.
Poland accidentally defeated its greatest ally as well as its only chance to remain independent through the 19th century
Lmao
>>
>>601534
Don't be retarded. STDs don't kill unless it's syphillis. And syphillis takes decades to get to a stage where you can die from it?
>>
Tell me about the pseudo war or whatever that almost blew up into a full fledged war between France and America.
>>
>>601562
It was typhus
>>
>>601635
>It was a triumph.
>>
A victory for both sides I guess.
>>
>>601009
Nobody won, nobody lost.
>>
Andrew Jackson won 1812
>>
>>601038
This wasn't the only goal, nor was it the most important one. The US wanted the Brits to stop kidnapping American merchants and enlisting them in the British Navy. The British never did it again.
>>
>>601820
So...America wins 1-1?
>>
>>601820
That had already stopped before the war started.

>>601459
We'd stopped trading with them beofre hand.

Jefferson, in ANOTHER example of his absolute incompetence as a leader, stopped trade with england.

New England damn near seceded over this, and the lack of local support is part of the reason the invasion of canada failed-a longer, shittier invasion route was taken to avoid agitating New England further.
>>
>>601401
The Indian nation was a plan being formed by tecumseh and his chiefs, not the British governments. The government would encourage this plan because it was a deciding factor for many native troops in which nation they were to fight for. If the empire truly held intentions of a free native land then they would have dealt with the indians far better than they had in the 1860s-90s. The dream of a Indian nation was solely an Indian idea and stating that the failure to form such a state means victory for the USA is laughable.
>>
>>602314
The Brits wanted an Amerindian nation to resist the rebellious yanks.
>>
>>601038
>thinks the war was entirely about a punitive expedition
kek

America got what it wanted, an end to British impressment of sailors and the crushing of British-backed indians. America won.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.