[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How accurate are most "historic" games like EU4, Total
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 25
File: eu4.jpg (82 KB, 900x506) Image search: [Google]
eu4.jpg
82 KB, 900x506
How accurate are most "historic" games like EU4, Total War and Call of Duty? What are some /his/torically accurate games?
>>
>>596452
not very, it can only give you a very rough idea of history and geography, nothing beyond that
>>
>>596452
100% accurate senpai
>>
Do you guys have any campaign ideas for EU4? Currently I'm trying to create a hegemony in the HRE as England.
>>
If they were historically accurate they wouldn't have the element of chance that games require to be, yknow, games. EUIV isn't historically accurate at all, I just united the Nahuatlic peoples under one flag decades before the arrival of Columbus, for example.
>>
File: 1426851827326.jpg (680 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1426851827326.jpg
680 KB, 1920x1080
>>596452
Very accurate
>>
>>596467
>Poland/Mazovia/Danzig/Silesia/any other western-slavic faction except Bohemia.
>no union with Lithuania
>don't push east
>try to establish yourself in west/north and/or south.
>don't join HRE/don't try to be HRE emperor.
>>
File: 1441414313196.jpg (309 KB, 822x796) Image search: [Google]
1441414313196.jpg
309 KB, 822x796
>>596473
What could have been.
>>
File: korea found the crayon box.jpg (606 KB, 2335x961) Image search: [Google]
korea found the crayon box.jpg
606 KB, 2335x961
Better question, is EU:IV with its expansions worth the obscene amount of money they cost?
>>
>>596522
pirate it
>>
>>596522
>korea
>>
>>596522
Lovely Korean dragon
>>
>>596522
I buy core games and pirate dlcs.

Literally no DRM at all, so no problem with that.
>>
>>596522
Wait for a steam sale.
>>
>>596522
Damn, map in EU3 looked so comfy. I hate this shit from EU4.
>>
>>596478
>australia-hungary
LOL
what fucking mod is this?? i have never seen this
>>
File: 1448396886278.jpg (336 KB, 819x394) Image search: [Google]
1448396886278.jpg
336 KB, 819x394
>>596522
Reestablish the glorious korean empire
>>
>>596524
>>596534
I don't condone thievery. If I can't afford it then I don't deserve it.
>>
>>596563
piracy =/= thievery
>>
>>596562
ah yes I remember the great war between the Finnish Empire and the Korean Empire
>>
>>596561
It was a custom country that some anon made for his Vic2 campaign in /gsg/
Also the answer OPs question Histwar:Napoleon is pretty fun and accurate
>>
File: eurasia chan.png (683 KB, 2048x1529) Image search: [Google]
eurasia chan.png
683 KB, 2048x1529
>>596562
>>
>>596563
Piracy isn't thievery. Furthermore with how much the Swedish Jew is charging for the DLCs you're better off pirating it anyway.
>>
>>596522
>>596537
How strangely topical.
Or buy the EU4 dlc on the Humble store which is cheaper than on steam, it's all 80% off right now for the next like few days or so
I got the DLC collection today and got my first DLC for EU4 after playing it since early 2014 but beware it doesn't include all the major DLC and leaves out some major features if you get it
>>
I hate EU, it's pretty much the most interesting period I've seen in videogaming yet the game mechanics themselvas are reduced to LOL LET'S PAINT THE MAP.
>>
>>596566
I am benefiting from the sweat of others at no cost. I am not significantly contributing to the creators making a living. It's not ethical. Pirates use the drop in the bucket fallacy to justify their actions.
>>
>>596571
in the aftermath of the finno-korean hyper war the successor states of rome, china, greece, persia and babylonia emerged from the ashes speaking corrupted finno-korean, all writing systems are erroneously attributed to arising from pictograms/egyptian when in reality the two mega scriptures of Proto-Proto-Korean and Proto-Proto-Finnish collided creating all of Eurasia's languages.
>>
>>596589
>benefiting from the sweat of others at no cost
just like when you sit on any bench or use anything ever created by anyone
fuck capitalism that's why this shit is trivial
the information costs nothing to move and human progress is hindered by not giving it away to others
the arbitrary "work" behind things now give them value, pathetic
>>
>>596562
Why are Eastern historians so terrible? Why couldn't Easterners just consolidated their need to bullshit into a religion and kept history largely unscathed?
>>
>>596603
>never seeing the old empire meme
>>
>>596599
>fuck capitalism
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>596589
Johann please fuck off.
>>
>>596617
johan is such a fucking sperg, did you see the hoi4 world war wednesday thing? he just mumbles shit as the other guy does all the talking while johan just makes himself look like an autistic 13 year old
>>
>>596452
In order of historical accuracy or plausablity for Paradox games I would rank them HOI3>Vicky>>>>>EU4>Ck2. Hoi3 is pretty railroaded so whatever comes out seems relativly plausable most of the time, Vicky covers it's period very well and is also a bit railroaded too, so whatever comes out is relativly plausable, at least with mods; EU4 falls far behind because the mana system and the "do whatever you want lol" style that the game has cuts it very short of being realistic, and CK2 is at the back because while it covers the era it represents very well the way each ruler is created is, while what happens IRL, very random and makes it so each game is nearly impossible to be alike, let alone historical.
>>
>>596452
Paradox is pretty good when it comes to Sweden but that's it.
>>
>>596617
I don't know who this Johann is but she sounds like a smart gal.
>>
>>596522

How the fuck are you supposed to defend that Korean strand, lol

Very funny though
>>
>>596563
xd
>>
File: kim-jong-un.jpg (16 KB, 387x291) Image search: [Google]
kim-jong-un.jpg
16 KB, 387x291
>>596646
Superior Korean bravery and technology.
>>
>>596599
>just like when you sit on any bench
If you want to use such a petty example: public benches are put up and maintained by the city, which is funded by tax money – the idea being that it is a community-financed service, and therefore open for public use. So no, it really isn't free at all.
>human progress is hindered
...by you not getting Autism Simulator IV for free?
>arbitrary "work"
Ok, yes, I suppose I did fall for the bait.
>>
>>596452
In order of historical accuracy or plausablity for Paradox games I would rank them HOI3>Vicky>>>>>EU4>Ck2. Hoi3 is pretty railroaded so whatever comes out seems relativly plausable most of the time, Vicky covers it's period very well and is also a bit railroaded too, so whatever comes out is relativly plausable, at least with mods; EU4 falls far behind because the mana system and the "do whatever you want lol" style that the game has cuts it very short of being realistic, and CK2 is at the back because while it covers the era it represents very well the way each ruler is created is, while what happens IRL, very random and makes it so each game is nearly impossible to be alike, let alone historical.
>>
File: 1449744104562.gif (2 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1449744104562.gif
2 MB, 320x180
>>596630
> swedish vikings
> accurate
>>
>>596563
>le ebin trolle
>>
>>596634

>gal

AMERICANS

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>596522
EU4 is the worst game.
>>
>>596534
How? Can you get achievements as well? I got the base game + some DLCs.
>>
My love for history was sparked with Rome Total War, so I suppose it doesn't matter how accurate they are if they inspire in you a desire to learn more.
>>
>>596452
>A Brief History of Total War.
Rome I
>Ok lets just study roman military history.
>And subject everyone else to MEMES :DDDDD. LE ANICENT EYGPTIENS, LE SHIRTLESS BABARIANZ :DDD
>Germans
>Gauls
>Spain
>Scythians
Medieval II
>Lets just study European Warfare/History.
>But just Western Europe :DDD.
>"Holy"
>"Roman"
>"Empire"
>"Spain"
>"Russia"
>"Denmark is the strongest Scandinavian Faction so lets only make them the playable faction and ignore Swedish dominance come 1300's."
>Oh my, all this middle eastern history is confusing, lets just make 3 muslim factions of "Turks" "Egyptians" and "Moors" and call it a day.
>>
File: savimbi-jonas-image.jpg (25 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
savimbi-jonas-image.jpg
25 KB, 300x300
>makes the player think this is a good guy
no
>>
>>596793
Shogun II: Fall of the Samurai
>Lets study the Boshin War.
>BUT AT THE SAME TIME TAKE THE LAST SAMURAI AS A HISTORICAL SOURCE :DDDDD
>Samurai wearing armour.
>American Military Advisors as opposed to French/Prussians.
>American advisors to begin with despite the fact that the USA was busy drowning in its own war.
>>
reminder that mount and blade 2 is coming out this year and it's going to be the first game to compete with dark souls for game of the decade.
>>
They taught me geography and a tad of European history, they're basically what got me interested in /his/ stuff, although they're not that accurate, newer ones especially. Still fun as fuck though, ck2 and vic2 are my favorites.
>>
>>596829
There were samurai wearing armor in the early parts of the boshin war, that said of all the total war games I think they butchered Japanese history the most. the paper siccers rock combat mechanics were the worse and the vanilla game is almost unplayable by anyone who cares about history or even which formations beat which
>>
>>596452

Can only speak for EU3, but the game tends to be rough in the edges when it comes to historical accuracy. It gives a great general picture, but it can become either a mess or oversimplified when you start picking apart the little details.

Let's take the Iberian Peninsula as an example:

>Catalan cculture in all of Aragon
>Forced capitality in Barcelona
>Can't release Catalonia (early at least) and Valencia from Aragon
>Can't release Leon from Castille either, even though you can release Galicia
>Andalusian is part of the Iberian group even though they're supposed to represent Arabic Iberians from Andalusia
>Granadans (if main culture is Andalusia at least) have Arabic naames even when they spawn as Catholic
>Basque isn't part of the Iberian group even when Andalusian is, meaning Navarre can't form Spain, which makes less sense than Portugal being able to

Province layout could also be improved, but I don't know if EU4 borders are much better.
>>
>>596855
>There were samurai wearing armor in the early parts of the boshin war
And they were *extremely very* rare. Usually consisting of the Japanese equivalents of eccentric British aristocrats.

Because thanks to the size of the Japanese armies, the Tokugawa peace, and firearms, armor wasn't needed that much anymore. The Armor smiths that still lived just made flimsy art pieces from the 1700's onwards. The elaborate armor that gets displayed in most Japanese museums? Art reproductions

Samurai pretty much went to war in harnessed kimono uniforms by the 1800's. Everything metal went into weapons production.
>>
>>596881
none sense, the shinsengumi wore armor during several of their early conflicts, the battle of the claim gate was also full of traditional troops.

>e Armor smiths that still lived just made flimsy art pieces from the 1700's onward

hyperbole, granted many of the more practical gosei gosoku armor types were abandoned for more traditional fair, but people had access to armor.
>>
File: kingdom_come_deliverance.0.png (968 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
kingdom_come_deliverance.0.png
968 KB, 1280x720
The upcoming Kingdom Come: Deliverance looks like it will be pretty realistic for a video game.
>>
>>596912
Why are they fighting on a golf course?
>>
>>596926
Why aren't you fighting on a golf course?
>>
>>596793
I think there's a tonne of potential in the battles for the total war games, but yeah, especially with medieval 2 the campaign is incredibly limited and sometimes bizarrely set up. Really wish they fleshed out the nations and map, but in each subsequent game they seem to reduce the number of playable factions so I doubt they will.
>>
>>596522
that europe is absolutely hopelessly fucked up, jesus christ

just pirate EU IV, gsg on /vg/ has it on MEGA
>>
>>597020
Some of the mods for the total war games are really good, there was a great one for medievel II I think it was called the sicilian vespers or something. really revamped the map and factions for greater accuracy. none of them are perfect of course
>>
>>596926
Maybe large open fields just make good scenarios for showing off your realistic fighting formations. Dunno.
>>
File: 1410197812819.jpg (21 KB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1410197812819.jpg
21 KB, 260x260
>>596912
>playing a Total war knock-off
>>
>>596589
>I am benefiting from the sweat of others at no cost.
You know the labor theory of value died in 1991, right?
>>
>>597353
It's a fucking First Person RPG like Mount & Blade, dingus.
>>
>>596452

I united all the people with my culture; conquered the entire east african coast; colonized madagascar, maldives and the rest of the indian ocean islands; acquired western technology and became the 1st naval power in the entire world only matched by france and england.
As Mogadishu.
>>
>>596452
I wish these games were more historically plausible. Not accurate but believable.
>>
>>596691
Yes
>>
File: PXbZtZE4_400x400[1].png (166 KB, 317x317) Image search: [Google]
PXbZtZE4_400x400[1].png
166 KB, 317x317
>>596452
Paradox doesn't give a shit about historical accuracy.

>railroading history
>replacing Sweden's flag with an inaccurate one so as not to confuse new players
>intentionally inaccurate borders so as not to accidentally violate copyright on other people's maps

If you want accuracy, play M&T
>>
>>597353
It's a FPS you buttmad nigger.
>>
File: zybourneclock.jpg (107 KB, 600x802) Image search: [Google]
zybourneclock.jpg
107 KB, 600x802
>>597439
best way to play these games tbqhwy fampai
>>
>>597571
Then the majority of playable nations would never be able to get shit done.

Nobody would ever play as anyone that wasn't a great power because they would just get rolled over.
>>
>>596522
probably not. EU4 with dlc is a good game (albeit it with some flaws that will never be fixed), but paradox Venice the crap out of you with their pricing. So wait for a sale or pirate it
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 640x400
>>596452
Nope
>>
>>598780
That's actually a surprisingly decent Europe.
>>
>>596452
About as accurate to real history as the Matrix is to real fights.
>>
>>598780
Sweden too big, that weakling and allahdemonists bedding do not deserve such big land.
>>
>>596452
I'm not trying to go stormfag here, but it really pissed me off when Paradox pushed out a patch for EUIV that made sub-saharan Africa have the same tech level as fucking China.
>>
File: Holy Roman.png (197 KB, 544x399) Image search: [Google]
Holy Roman.png
197 KB, 544x399
>>596793
Well, the thing is, its hard to portray-with Med II's Faction Engine- states that are de jure together but de facto are fucking loosely joined.

Like, how will you represent- in faction- the Holy Roman Empire which at times acted together and at times its components acted like different states?

In the same essence, the confusion of Med II with the Middle East stems from this problem as well. Technically all of the Middle East up until 1100's owed its allegiance to the Abbasids. But the Egypt broke away, and then Turkic people created multiple states within the Caliphate that eventually grew strong enough to be their own polities by 1200's.

Spain and Russia are atrocities though. Its not fucking hard to make those factions separate states.
>>
File: image.jpg (281 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
281 KB, 1920x1200
>>598981
:D
>>
>>599004
.Australia
>>
>>599001
>Like, how will you represent- in faction- the Holy Roman Empire which at times acted together and at times its components acted like different states?

Actually the Rome I did this admirably. The Romans were divided into major families to represent the factions that will end up fucking up each other in the civil wars.

There was a senate that gave cunts missions so in essence Rome was both a unified state but at the same time prone to factional infighting.
>>
>>596629
>EU4 falls far behind because the mana system and the "do whatever you want lol" style that the game has cuts it very short of being realistic
EU4 has bigger problems than mana system.

The games always had troubles with showing the transition from mercenary armies to national conscripts which causes dumb shit like Austria wrecking everybody since day one.

Then you have dumbshit unit balancing. Western units are plain better than everybody else and they research technology quicker. Pick one or another, not both, Paradox.

And we can rave on and on about it.
>>
File: image.jpg (438 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
438 KB, 1920x1080
Nice....
>>
File: johan7.jpg (358 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
johan7.jpg
358 KB, 500x750
>>596522
yes
>>
Sweden is too weak. IRL they could hold their own against Denmark-Norway, Poland-Lithuania and the Russian Empire.
>>
>>599029
Why not, even Rocky Balboa was played by a jew.
>>
>>596871
pretty sure they made andalusian iberian so they could form spain

basque can actually form spain and france. because it is a unique culture group there is no problem with it.

but if you make andalusian the same culture group as morocco or something then they could form spain too, or andalusia couldn't

in eu4 i believe it is different, a lot of the problems you mention have been solved. except now basque is part of iberian culture
>>
>>599037
After some point they can hold against Denmark/Norway to the point where they completely smash them which wasn't the point either.

The problem with the other things lies here >>599017

For example - Commonwealth had standing army of few thousands, but then the magnates had several thousands for themselves and Lithuanian part had another several thousands and they could get mercenaries in times of war, cossacks etc. etc.

In EU, they get ~70k standing army.

Russia is even bigger mess since Muscovy has ideas that cause them to have enormous armies and manpower no matter what.
>>
>>599037
>Sweden is too weak.

kek

johan makes Sweden OP in every game, mate.
>>
Didnt some Scottish developper add a feature to Scotland to avoid it being stomped by England in early game?
>>
File: file.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>596452
Paradox games are only fun if you play in MP and stick to historical guidelines. It's easy as fuck to play the UK and reconquer the Thirteen Colonies, the Angevin Empire and annex Italy, but let's face it, way more fun to hold up the balance of power in Europe while maneuvering players out of colonial expansion.
>>
>>599037
You must really suck at the game, because paradox makes sweden op as fuck to make up for the fact nobody gives a shit about it.
>>
>>599037
hold their own is a bit of the stretch, they just had to constantly war and loot to not bankrupt themselves with mercs which they did anyway
>>
File: fff.jpg (74 KB, 493x604) Image search: [Google]
fff.jpg
74 KB, 493x604
>>
>>599004

Captain Sweden YES!
>>
File: hamburger north america.png (1 MB, 990x716) Image search: [Google]
hamburger north america.png
1 MB, 990x716
where are the burguer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
>>
File: ck2+ messalian symbol.png (8 KB, 129x130) Image search: [Google]
ck2+ messalian symbol.png
8 KB, 129x130
Okay, I was playing one CK2+ mod for Crusader Kings 2 and pic related is symbol for messalian heresy which you can revive in the game.

Was it really their symbol, is it just made up or does it mean something completely different. I swear I saw it somewhere before but can't remember where.
>>
>>599519
some shite from binding of isaac
>>
>>599069
This is what I liked about Victoria, the fact it added the infamy mechanic to prevent or at least limit endless blobbing.

Also whenever I play a Paradox game I go full sperg, like I created the Kingdom of Ireland, conquered the Baltics and then gave it all to the Teutonic order or some shit because I couldn't stand the idea of Ireland controlling fucking Latvia.
>>
>>596855
Aside from obvious things like no bayonets, HONORABU SAMURAI, their need to impose a RPS mechanic on everything, and the weird disparity between how land and naval artillery work, what are some of the big problems?
>>
File: fortheglory.jpg (214 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
fortheglory.jpg
214 KB, 800x600
Is For The Glory more historically grounded than EU3?
>>
>>599519
Looks like Slovak and Hungarian coat of arms.
>>
>>599519
>CK2+
You want HIP, lad.

Not perfect, but it makes the game so good it may as well be CK3.
>>
>>599069
Victoria 2 is like chess.

The best way to play isn't best for your country, it's to cuck everyone else out of what they want.
>>
>>599519
It's an alchemic symbol for sulphur. Not sure how it relates to that religion.
>>
>>599519
http://symbolism.wikia.com/wiki/The_Leviathan_Cross

It's posted pretty often in Satanism/some religion threads, but I don't know if it actually relates to the Euchites.
>>
>>599627
You also want to wait till 2.2. since the new dlc for once looks really good and not like memeshit.
>>
>>596478
How the fuck do you pull this off

Was Australia released and did it attain great power status?
>>
>>599029
What's the joke here?
>>
>>596522
If you can piss away money, otherwise

kat period cr

google it if you are suspicious
>>
>>596522
Yes, but you're better off getting them in one of the holiday sales. It's surpassed the completed EU3 some time ago.

CK2 is still better though.
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.