[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Worst History-themed Media
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 18
File: deadliest-warrior.jpg (42 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
deadliest-warrior.jpg
42 KB, 360x270
What television shows, films, books, etc... are the best example of bad history being portrayed as real history/accurate reenactments of history?

>pic fucking related what the fuck
>>
>>594601
Rome.
Vikings
Any x-treem history channel show, there has never been a good one, ever.
>>
>>594607
Rome isn't that bad. It's actually pretty enjoyable and they at least manage to get the broad strokes right and the set design is top fucking notch and period accurate.

Agree about Vikings and most other historical fiction shows.
>>
File: 1284909765969.png (6 KB, 429x410) Image search: [Google]
1284909765969.png
6 KB, 429x410
>deadliest warrior
>they have samurai defeating vikings despite vikings having mail armor with katana getting over 100 kills in the simulation while viking spear gets fewer despite Japanese having no real armor
>Atilla defeats Alexander the Great
>Washington defeats Napoleon
>they put 15th century knight against 18th century pirate
>put up ming warrior against french musketeer
>comanche (with no firearms) defeats mongol
>they actually do an episode on zombies vs vampires
>treated as scientifically and historically accurate
>mfw
>>
>>594601
Nazis a warning from history
>>
>>594610
>at least manage to get the broad strokes right and the set design is top fucking notch and period accurate.
No its not. See anything in Gaul. They portray them like German tribesmen, which is already a huge red flag that the rest of the show is an outdated cliche of antiquity.
>>
File: scout x3.png (485 KB, 482x615) Image search: [Google]
scout x3.png
485 KB, 482x615
>Switch to the "History" channel
>It's showing men who drive trucks on ice roads, for 3 hours

America, what are you doing?
>>
>>594676

They really did this? I stopped watching that show long ago, turns out it was the right thing to do.
>>
>>594695
The Gaul stuff wasn't really that big of a part of the show. The actual Roman stuff was solid.
>>
>>594704
Don't forget about the shows about pawn shops, Cajun aligator hunters and random people that live in the woods. History Channel is a disgrace. They should just change the name and let another channel use the History name.

>>594714
Yes. There are other stupid ones too. But those are the ones I remember off the top of my head. It's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>594676
>comanche (with no firearms) defeats mongol

I refuse to believe this is true
>>
>>594761
Watch the reenactment on YouTube. It's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>594607
>Rome
Yeah it was accurate at times, especially as far as the speed of the timeline, but I wouldn't rate it among "worst".

The Spartacus tv show is absolute shit.
I've found it hard to enjoy Gladiator since I passed 16.
>>
>>597563
Sorry, *inaccurate at times.
>>
File: wash.png (280 KB, 643x704) Image search: [Google]
wash.png
280 KB, 643x704
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ssbgJ3D6cw

JUST
>>
File: 1441199485097.png (100 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1441199485097.png
100 KB, 500x500
>>594601
I just watched it for the ballistic gel gore to be honest
>>
>>594601

Braveheart, followed by Pocahontas

>>594607

>Rome

Just because it wasn't I CLAVDIVS doesn't mean it ranks among worst history-themed media
>>
>>597613
Waterloo and Russia memes are too strong.

The eternal Anglo strikes again.
>>
>>598069

braveheart did more to elevate an interest in history than any film in recent memory
>>
File: aliens.jpg (15 KB, 400x350) Image search: [Google]
aliens.jpg
15 KB, 400x350
>>594601
Can't forget the classics.
>>
>>594601
Pic related.

Fun games, shit history.
>>
File: image.jpg (185 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185 KB, 1280x720
>>598381
>>598381
Shit, forgot pic.
>>
File: 1414315022917.jpg (80 KB, 400x562) Image search: [Google]
1414315022917.jpg
80 KB, 400x562
>>598381
>>598384
>Make Cesare Borgia a shouting mad man
>>
>>597613
In all fairness washington had better technology.
>>
>>597613
>George Washington and Napoopan having a sword duel
This show is pretty great.
>>
>>594676
He would
>>
>>598384
>nations use their present day flags, not even the burgundian cross for Spain
>>
>>597613
I was fuming about this when I saw it.
>>
>>594601
Kek, it was always so cringe worthy seeing the "professionals" trash talk each other. And hearing that dude in the middle count down "THREE TWOOOOOO ONE". and watching them get hyped like man children when the dumb pig carcass gets chopped by a blade or what have you
>>
>>594749
>Don't forget about the shows about pawn shops
Pawn Stars would actually be a decent show if they cut out the cringe worthy jokes and story lines
>>
>>598303

I don't care, it's still one of the least historically accurate films of all time and is responsible for spreading innumerable misconceptions about the setting.
>>
>>598303
You can say that about any "historical" film but when it comes down to it, maybe 2% of people who see the movie are actually going to research it while the other 98% are going to perpetuate the myths and stereotypes of any given time period.
>>
>>594695
>See anything in Gaul
there were like two scenes explicitly depicting Gauls.
>>
>>594704
To be fair H2 and The Military Channel have been showing the same "old" History Channel content for years. Mainstream people just want to see truckers on ice, not gonna bash that show though, fuck that job. I just think it should be on Discovery instead, which is the History Channel, so I'm conflicted.
>>
>>597613
I think there was one with the Medillin Cartel vs. Chicago gangsters, and the gangsters won b/c they chucked a couple of grenades...
>>
>>594676
You forgot the part where they tested less-than-lethal weapons like tear gas and flashbangs and shit, and basically counted them as completely useless just because you couldn't kill someone with them.
>>
you faggots love deadliest warrior bullshit don't even lie

theres a "who was the best tactician/which historical army was best" every day and they are almost never off the frontpage.
>>
>>598672
Its a guilty pleasure. The weapon stuff is interesting and the fight at the end is retarded fun
>>
>>598625

H2 has started to go to shit in recent times. It's literally just backup History Channel now. Every time I go there it's literally OH WOW ALIENS or LOOK OUT FOR BIGFOOT type shit, with the very rare Hitler documentary.
>>
>>598770
I'm looking for a good documentary about Hitler. You guys know of any?
>>
>>594676
this
>>
>>594601

>Washington beats Napoleon

America is the most powerful polity to have existed in human history and could likely extinguish life from the planet in a matter of hours.

so why the fuck are they so hysterically insecure about the slightest suggestion that they might not be #1 in every measurable aspect of existence
>>
>>598069
>I, Claudius
Jesus Christ Anon, Rome was more historically accurate than that theatrical ostentation. Try "The Caesars", a British production from the sixties. All six hour long episodes are on the Pootubes.
>>
>>599063

in the scenario they provided it would likely happen mon ami

they were given an equal footing :^)
>>
>>599575
>they were given an equal footing :^)

And?
Napoleon was way more skilled than Washington
In a battle with equal numbers and technology, he wins hands down
>>
>>598311
>It's been six years
>>
>>594601
This piece of garage Spike TV made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYJl5eLw2tA
>>
>>599749
This is great comedy.
>Le soviets didn't do anything, D-day was the deciding factor
>>
>>594601
This show is funny as fuck
>shaolin monk v maori
>monk using martial arts, steel weapons
>maori using tribe clubs and shark teeth
>monk obviously wins
>"professional" maori historian guy "Bet that computer is Chinese"
>>
>>600188
Watch the Vlad vs. Sun Tzu one and witness the cringe of the goth Vlad expert.
>>
>>598798
"The Occult History of the Third Reich" is a very in-depth look at how psuedoscience, ethnic tensions, and general resentment contributed to the climate making Hitler's rise to power possible. I'd strongly recommend it.
If you're interested in the biography of Hitler specifically, don't waste your time with docus and cut straight to "Adolf Hitler" by John Willard Tolland. There's nothing in film that can really cover it as exhaustively as you'd need.
>>
>>597613
>Bloodthirsty Conqueror
>Wanted to make the world his
Why do normies always try to destroy my historical heroes reeee
>>
>>597613
>only fighting 4 soldiers
>"better use the fucking cannons!"
Holy shit Americans are retarded
>>
File: IRA_Deadliest_Warrior.jpg (11 KB, 350x224) Image search: [Google]
IRA_Deadliest_Warrior.jpg
11 KB, 350x224
>>594601

>>597613
You're forgetting the best one
>>
>>600349
fuck forgot link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msFljrJ7M4A
>>
arma website with their unsourced articles
>>
>>598625
Isn't the military channel now, The American Heroes channel?
>>
File: armaghsniper.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
armaghsniper.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>600349
The IRA is king of manlets, lol
>>
>>599749
I love how that video implies that Mexico just sort of stayed exactly the same. Also, Europe or Asia isn't really mentioned at all.
>>
>>598625
>I just think it should be on Discovery instead
I thought that was a science channel. Oh wait, it's a redneck trucker channel. Never mind.
>>
>>600279
>shock and awe muthafucka!
>>
>>597613
Well, you can't show America's favourite hero loosing aganist a Frenchie, even if that American hero is an incompetent general and the Frenchie is one of the most brilliant military minds of history.
>>
File: shilenos.jpg (13 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
shilenos.jpg
13 KB, 275x183
Not one of the worst, and quite decent, actually. I like the fact that they don't show the Spanish Empire as "evil native killers", but the fact that they show the Mapuches as fucking Kratos is quite off-putting for me.
>>
>>594676
you forget the best
>RANGERS LEAD THE WAY
https://youtu.be/rrga8njz6Z8?t=3m3s
>>
>>598384
ehh, I like it, but then again i like it as a weird alt-history/sci fi then any historical merit apart from some of the aesthetics
>>
>>600192
Lol that was hilarious, they got a pair of edgy goths for Vlad. And the host kept saying it was test of two leaders strategies, only to make them fight in the woods. Of course the guy with steel weapons, plate armour and a gun won.
>>
>>598551
The Burgundian Cross is actually on the fort in Havana in AC4 which makes it even stranger.
>>
File: Peopleshistoryzinn[1].jpg (34 KB, 439x648) Image search: [Google]
Peopleshistoryzinn[1].jpg
34 KB, 439x648
This fucking bullshit

It's filled with outright lies and portrays the Indians as innocent noble savages.
>>
>>601886
I think I may deserve reparations for having read one chapter of this shit. After that I couldn't go on.
>>
>>601886
Now this can be called cultural marxism.
>>
>>601886
>>601979
>>602003
I just read a bit, it's portraying Columbus as an asshole, which is true. What's the problem here?
>>
>>594601
>What television shows, films, books, etc... are the best example of bad history being portrayed as real history/accurate reenactments of history?

any movie set in ancient greece or egypt and all of the main characters are northern europeans.

My least favorite is 'white guy in a foreign land who is better than all of the natives'
>>
>>600351
this video just makes me hate brits a lot
>>
>>597563
I fucking loved Spartacus besides the first two-three episodes. It basically plays itself as a grandiose-pulply opera, lack of historical accuracy only irritates me when the show or film aesthetically or directly attempts to pass itself off as being such.

Ridiculous historical films/TV that make clear they are intensely fictionalized are A-OK in my book.

Deadliest Warrior really is comical though, I particularly always shook my head at the amusing way that each 'warrior' has some type of bizarro RPG skillset.
>>
>>602003
Go back to /pol/ shitter, and I don't even like that book.
>>
>>602065

Doesn't fit their "Merica a good boi he dindu nuffin" narrative
>>
>>594676
Samurai are underrated as fuck. The way the katana was made, it weighed a lot and could challenge scale and heavy leather armor. It had a lot of kinetic energy.
>>
>>602843
To me it seems kind of edgy and "WooOw d00d so br00tal", much abs, you know? But then again, somebody else can interpret that entire visual and auditory entertainment a completely different way, and it's different strokes for different folks.

The things you mention as being good or only slightly annoying usually bother the hell out of me (I only like two musicals, after all).

One question: How do they make it clear that they're highly fictionalized?
>>
File: 1405698491680.png (490 KB, 1100x718) Image search: [Google]
1405698491680.png
490 KB, 1100x718
>>601524
>those utterly shit not even vaguely accurate 'North Korean' uniforms
>>
>>597613
>washington was 6 foot 3 and 200 pounds
holy shit
>>
>>598303
>gladiator
>saving private ryan

Also, lord of the rings ironically has done this the most. Most larpers see those battles and then go larp.
>>
>>602885
>NK Spec Ops
>Wearing Uniforms.
>>
File: 1406928307408.gif (305 KB, 800x709) Image search: [Google]
1406928307408.gif
305 KB, 800x709
>>602873
It legitimately gets pretty great, the first few episodes are some sub-300 hamming it up bro brutality like you said, but it goes in some interesting directions with its characters and has one of the best season finales I've probably ever seen. It was honestly was one of the better plotted shows on television. The thing really moves and doesn't way itself down with superfluous nonsense (like say, GoT). But, as with anything it will fit some tastes, and perhaps not yours.

As far as 'making clear they're fictionalized', I guess that's sort of muddy really. In the case of the Spartacus show, the whole aesthetic is over the top enough that it aptly communicates that it's pretty much a legendary retelling of events rather than a literal one. In other circumstances, it's just using a setting and inventing names, things like that.

So, I might love The Guns of Navarrone or Where Eagles Dare, even if those movies are ridiculous, because their very nature is pulpy silliness. Or you know, Kurosawa movies or Westerns use period settings but are only vaguely related to actual history more often than not.

It only really buttflusters me when a film uses real people and completely changes their personalities and so forth, which unfortunately you see all the damn time, and I'd say the more recent the history is the worse of a sin that becomes.
>>
>>602895
Some do

Not those though, I think the patches might straight up be Vietnamese.
>>
File: 1449810764442.jpg (55 KB, 589x545) Image search: [Google]
1449810764442.jpg
55 KB, 589x545
>>594676
>Washington beats Napoleon
>>
>>594676
>>594601
>all this mention of deadliest warrior
>nobody has posted Waffen SS VS Vietcong
https://vimeo.com/29635752
>>
File: washington.jpg (95 KB, 560x315) Image search: [Google]
washington.jpg
95 KB, 560x315
>>602886

WASHINGTON. WASHINGTON.

SIX FOOT EIGHT, WEIGHS A FUCKING TON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc
>>
>>602863
>underrated as fuck
>it weighed a lot and could challenge scale and heavy leather armor
>>
>>594676
>>598655
This, they never take into account the nuances of certain weapons. For instance in the episode with Vlad the Impaler and Sun Tzu, when they were comparing the Chinese gentleman's sword and that xbox hueg curved thing Vlad had they just hacked at pigs and called Vlad the winner. Sure that thing could cleave a pig in half in one go, but while you were winding up the guy with the THRUSTING sword poked you in the lung and liver and bolted to another time zone.

>>602863
The katana could whistle though meat like nobody's business but it didn't help much against a guy in proper armour
>>
The Last Samurai.
Japanese see it is a bizzare parody of some sort.
>>
File: samurai with lightsaber.jpg (100 KB, 900x777) Image search: [Google]
samurai with lightsaber.jpg
100 KB, 900x777
>>603164
>The Last Samurai.
Japan should invent an armor and a light-saber technology.
>>
>>601524
>Norks just stand around like retards
>shoot durka style without stocks
>even though they almost always shoot first they never hit and murrican kills them with the first shot
>the one nork who magically shot american didn't really kill him and got exploded by him
10/10 would watch every day if I were a patriotic american
>>
>>594676
>Japanese having no real armor
I'm assuming the Samurai in the show was Sengoku period, in which case you're wrong. Samurai armor used iron lamellar/scale, and even a few steel cuirass examples (purchased from the Portuguese). Also ignore the fact that the Samurai fought much like the mongols, so a lone viking would be fucked (ashigaru spear wall >>> viking shield wall anyways) Katana thing is bullshit and would do fuckall to a viking but it wouldn't have been the primary weapon anyway
Assuming both fought in their stereotypical style, it would be a literal Carrhae
>Washington defeats Napoleon
Fucking hilarious considering even Washington considered himself a poor general. Typical dumb America wank for idiots who don't even know their own history.
>>
>>602873
>How do they make it clear that they're highly fictionalized?
When Sam Raimi is in the production staff. The same group of people that made Spartacus did Xena/Hercules and the Evil Dead films.
>>
>>602922
One thing I did think Spartacus actually did well was in the gladiators themselves. They actually named and announced the different styles when they fought and to my knowledge they were pretty close to how they are described (aesthetically)
>>
>>598551
You need to consider the audience for these games.
It is mostly 15 year old boys.
They don't even recognize the current Spanish flag.
>>
>>602922
Hmmm, alright. I gave up after the first two episodes...maybe I'll check out a bit more after, thanks to you. I do love me a good plot, even if I can't handle the fact that they fought to the death (which never happened in Spartacus's time).

And The Guns of Navarone and Force 10 from Navarone are two of my favorite movies!

>>604324
Oh wow, did not know that.
Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.