[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Battle of Jena
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: jena.png (142 KB, 257x671) Image search: [Google]
jena.png
142 KB, 257x671
Let's talk about the Battle of Jena-Auerstedt of 1806.

Want went right for the French?
Want went wrong for the Prussians?
What were the ramifications with respect to European politics, as well as to military theory and political thought?
>>
>>594594
>What went right for the French?
Napoleon
>What went wrong for the Prussians?
Their generals
>>
Can't ___ the Davout
>>
>>594594
Battle of Jena was standard stuff, nothing impressive, just basic-Napoleon.

However, the battle of Auerstedt is so god damn impressive I don't know how it could go like this...

Davout was meant to go to a secondary position. He asked Bernadotte to help him, but this smug bastard refused. Davout went toward this small village and then shit happened.

Basically Davout's soldiers were outnumbered 3 to 1. But because he used light infantry to harass the germans, and because the prussians shat themselves thinking they were fighting a much bigger force, they did not concentrate their army like they should have.
After a lot of quick, violent actions, Davout's men prevailed over retreating prussians.

Davout is the only marshall of Napoleon's army to have NEVER been defeated. At Austerlitz he even managed to hold his line while outnumbered 10 to 1, which allowed Napoleon to do his grand maneuver and win the battle.

Basically it was the golden age of the french army, which ended in 1809.
>>
>>594670
Didn't Napoleon not beleive Davout's blowout at Jena?

Played in a wargames campaign of Prussia 1806 as the Prussians year before last, was a bit of an uphill struggle.
>>
>>594649
rout?
>>
File: Austerlitz.png (147 KB, 315x816) Image search: [Google]
Austerlitz.png
147 KB, 315x816
>>594803
the t is silent
>>
>>594649
Can't BTFO the Davout
>>
File: 1447046098477.jpg (64 KB, 900x437) Image search: [Google]
1447046098477.jpg
64 KB, 900x437
>>594632
a war is more than violence and that's what germany/prussia/naziland never understood
it has little to do with their generals and a lot to with their people's mindset, they're excessively pragmatic and lack the intelligence and creative thinking to improvise and think outside the box and that's how wars are won
>>
File: Jena.jpg (959 KB, 1602x1264) Image search: [Google]
Jena.jpg
959 KB, 1602x1264
>>594594
Here's all you need to know about that impressive battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oPtbmY71rw
>>
>>594945
So, it is photo from Geisrael?
>>
>>594977
pretty good documentary but around 27:30 he says the muskets are loaded with steel balls - is that accurate? aren't those supposed to be made of lead?
>>
>>594697
Auerstaedt was much more impressive than Iéna, and Napoléon knew it, but he needed his victories to stay in power so he didn't make a big deal of Auerstaedt. I believe Davoust was granted a title for it though.
>>
>>595366
Indeed, descendants of Davout are now called Davout d'Auerstaedt. I was with one of them in high school, it's amazing how he looked like his ancestor.
Too bad, he was a retard.
>>
>want to participate in Napoleon threads
>haven't quite finished his biography yet
>can't remember why the Jena-Auerstadt campaign happened
On a side note has anyone here read Andrew Roberts Napoleon: A life? I'm almost done with it and it's pretty great
>>
>>595621
>can't remember why the Jena-Auerstadt campaign happened

Prussia declared war on France, Napoleon reacted quickly and brought the war to their territory before they could invade France (kinda like he had done with Austria the year before)
>>
>>595560
how can you say all of that and end the up without posting a pic of the said guy?
>>
>>594977
I've just finished reading a book on Napoleon and I'm embarrassed at how I was pronouncing those names in my head. Why do the French just ignore 90% of the letters in a word
>>
>>598334
because consonants are for plebs
just look at slavic languages
>>
>>598334
To be fair, the dude doesnt pronounce all of them correctly
I'm pretty sure Soult must have the L and T pronounced
He's right about the pronounciation of Davout though
>>
>>598503
Slavic languages are awesome precisely because of crazy consonant clusters, the same with Semitic ones.
>>
>>594649
Can't screw the davout
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.