[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I was looking through this old collection of photos of women
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: url-5-33.jpg (97 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
url-5-33.jpg
97 KB, 600x429
So I was looking through this old collection of photos of women from the American Wild West in the 19th century, and the women were either models or madams or "soiled doves", and I noticed half the women were what we would consider chubby, and half of those cub tubs were definitely on the fat side. So what the hell, was this actually considered attractive back then? It makes less sense to me when you consider the fact that many women wore corsets back then plus any illustrations of ideal women back then, like the Gibson Girls, show them to be physically fit and thin like how people like women today.
>>
>>592435
When there is very easy access to food, abstention is attractive.

When there is little access to food, plumpness is attractive.

Only in modern times is being skinny considered attractive.
>>
>>592450
Physical fitness is always attractive.
>>
File: 1444549713555.jpg (10 KB, 250x238) Image search: [Google]
1444549713555.jpg
10 KB, 250x238
>yfw you realize that tumblr landwhales actually would be better suited for wild west prostitute movie roles
>>
Its pretty easy to explain famalam

When you get married your wife gets fat
No exceptions
This rule is x2 for women with rich husbands
Rich husbands were more likely to wake pictures of their wife
>>
>>592461
For men, of course. Having abs and shit was always attractive for men. Women, however, were not supposed to go out and do physical labour until very recently. As a result, that was not seen as attractive, and still isn't particularly considered attractive.
>>
>>592505
Not doing physical labour =/= chubby of fat

And women have always been expected to work
The idea that "women stay home and raise children" was an idea created during the American golden age

Pretty much all cultures except a few modern western ones have expected women to work
>>
>>592461
>Physical fitness is always attractive.
I guess that's just human nature.

Fucking moron.
>>
>>592515
What???

Saying being normal isn't human nature is fucking crazy Anon

It is normal to be in shape and its normal to be attracted to a person in shape, thats human nature
>>
>>592527
>normative
>human nature

Fucking moron.
>>
>>592534
Maybe try and explain your pov instead of posting epic meme arrows and calling people morons?

I can't see how choosing a healthy mate in good physical condition isn't normal and against human nature
>>
a sign of wealth associated with other things that make a woman attractive like bathing
>>
>>592552
I'm sorry, you're posting on a humanities board and you're slinging the phrase "human nature" around unironically.

Then you accuse us of being educated stupid.
>>
>>592562
"Normal" it is within the definition of "human nature"

Humans overall don't think fat is attractive

That is why its called a "fat-fetish" because its weird
>>
>>592576
>definition
Wow, the dictionary is your authority. Look at the big reading on Brad.

"Human nature" is a bourgeois fiction mate.
>>
>>592435
Shit diet, they slept all day and never hit the gym.
They didn't have to worry though because no competition.
>>
>>592602
SO what you're saying is...

YOUR opinion > My opinion

Could have just said that
>>
>>592435
The actual reason that all of the meme posters before me ignored, is that in the era of the American "Wild" West, the gender ratios of the populations were skewed extremely heavily male. San Francisco did not reach approximate gender parity until close to the twentieth century, if not after it already begun. ANY woman, merely by existing within several hundred miles, was a catch. It was even more disproportionate if you were looking for a white woman, and a protestant at that, which was the ideal for frontier settlers.
>>
>>592609
No, I'm saying that since the development of sociology and the critique of the universality of God, "human nature" hasn't been an authority for appeal.

Try reading Locke sometime.
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138 KB, 350x350
>>592627
>ratios of the populations were skewed extremely heavily

Like the woman in OP's pic?
>>
>>592648
Thank GOD Carlos commented, I would have fucking died if someone hadn't made that pun.
>>
>>592627
I'm pretty sure that prostitution didn't distinguish between protestant and catholic as long as the whore was white.

I mean sure, people knew what "Irish" was.
>>
File: Smuuks.jpg (24 KB, 331x334) Image search: [Google]
Smuuks.jpg
24 KB, 331x334
>>592645

>"human nature is a spook" spook

it seems you have meta-spooked yourself. Try again, kiddo.
>>
>>592684
Given that "spooks" relate to das ein's ontological position and have nothing to do with the construction of norms, fuck off to an ontology thread matey.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.