[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
No Draft = Vietnam War victory?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: Vietnamdem[1].jpg (88 KB, 600x394) Image search: [Google]
Vietnamdem[1].jpg
88 KB, 600x394
If the Vietnam War was fought with an all-volunteer US military instead of being composed of draftees would opposition to the war be as high as it was? Would we still be there like we are still in Afghanistan if that was the case?

I mean I have a hard time imagining draft-age college students caring much about the war if they weren't at risk of being sent overseas and forced to participate in it. When was the last time you saw a major protest against US involvement in Afghanistan, for instance?

This is a good anti-Vietnam war song I just recently found btw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4iw3_Hnyho
>>
>>829097
1. the USA didn't lose the war because of protestors. they lost it because the vietnamese didn't mind a communist state. the only reason the USA was in vietnam in the first place was to fight charlie.
2. 9/11 was the reason why americans don't give a crap about dying afghans. not because they volunteered
>>
>>829097
WWII had more drafting and draft dodgers than Vietnam. The protests became obvious because of the media during the Vietnam era but the sons of wwii heroes marched to Vietnam mostly of their own accord. They had the greatest generation to live up to and many of them volunteered.
>>
>>829147
>WWII had more drafting and draft dodgers than Vietnam.

It was also a total war, much more justified in the minds of the vast majority of Americans, and public anti-war protests against such a moral, just, and popular war would have been extremely risky. Completely different situations.

There may have been more draft dodgers during WWII (source on that?) but they would have been completely quiet about it, they weren't burning their draft cards in the streets with public approval. During Vietnam that kind of behavior was seen as understandable by sympathetic audiences.
>>
>>829145
Wow, nice
>>
>>829145
>they lost it because the vietnamese didn't mind a communist state

This is false.
>>
The antiwar movement was about getting high and getting laid, it wasn't actually about ending the war in Vietnam.
>>
>>829097
Americlaps would still lose thousands of helicopter pilots.
>>
>>829615
>>829145
Vietnamese wouldnt mind a communist state run by Vietnamese versus a western proxy in the model of any kind of economic system*
>>
>>829615
A lot of them preferred a communist state to being a colonial possession or under a puppet dictatorship of the west. Communism wasn't the greatest ideal, but it was the closest thing to hegemony they were going to get which is why they fought so hard for it.
>>
>>830990
>>831001
So they would be fine with being ruled by a capitalist system if it was free from Western control? Because if you think that communist Vietnam was free of outside meddling by foreign powers you are delusional.
>>
>>831238
>Because if you think that communist Vietnam was free of outside meddling by foreign powers you are delusional.

No, I'm saying that the Vietnamese people thought that communism was the closest they were going to get to sovereignty in their current situation. They were never going to become free from outside meddling by foreign powers. However, they thought communism to be the lesser of the evils.
>>
>>829145
>no sources
Opinion discarded
>>
>>831355
>no sources

That's like every post on this board, dude.
>>
File: 1457663409359.png (246 KB, 1136x717) Image search: [Google]
1457663409359.png
246 KB, 1136x717
>>829097
No German scientists = no american flag on the moon first?
>>
Most soldiers in Vietnam were volunteers anyway so it wouldn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>832307
>implying anyone's flag is on the moon
>>
No, ww2 and korea had a draft and did just fine. The public was just flittering with peace memes due to jfk
>>
>>829145
>because the vietnamese didnt mind a communist state.
You need to do some researcher. The nva genocided over 100,000 civilians BEFORE they even started terrorizing the south. Anybody that resisted was executed on the spot.
>>
>>829166
>moral and just
Reminder that the concentration camps were not found until after the war
>>
>>836059
>genocide
Woah, watch out historians, it looks like RJ Rummel is in the house, making unfounded claims.
>>
>>836114
I mean in the sense of Pearl Harbor, Germany declaring war first etc. And the atrocities the Japanese committed against Americans and others were well known by 1942.
>>
>>830990
Not like they turned down capitalism for sovereignty. They had the choice between being a Soviet communist proxy or an American capitalist proxy. I'm sure they had good reason for the former.
>>
>>836042
>Muh photoshop in 1969
>>
>>837444
Who said anything about photoshop? It was a studio set my man.
>>
>>837453
And the Russians either somehow didn't know this or were in on the cover up?
>>
>>837508
If it was a hoax and they were in on it then they would have kept if covered up and just rolled with it because it would have been the same as Sputnik was to us. Both the US and the USSR used each other as a excuse for excesses that they would not have been able to justify if they weren't in direct competition.

That being said, anyone who legitimatley thinks we didn't is either pants on head ignorant or very much so in denial about the facts.
>>
>>829097
A real question you should be asking is that if the soviets didn't fund the anti war movement would the US have pulled out
>>
>>837543
Any proof to support that claim?
>>
Vietnam WAS a victory. America is not a communist country.
>>
>>839738

Was that the aim of the North Vietnamese?
>>
File: Roon3.png (147 KB, 300x346) Image search: [Google]
Roon3.png
147 KB, 300x346
>mfw I am studying in college with a federal scholarship
>mfw because I am male I would have to be drafted if a war sparked
Fucking feds, thanks for the money. Nothing is free in this world.
>>
I don't know where else to ask this, but does anyone have any good recommendations for things to read on Nixon? Online articles, books, lectures anything that could be read would be great, I just wanna learn more about his presidency/politics/pretty much everything about him. Seems like an interesting guy
>>
>>839019
There are only witness accounts, but the kgb had massive operations in the United States.
>>
America lost because they weren't willing to fight China again. Also because Diem was a terrible leader
>>
>>829097
>If the Vietnam War was fought with an all-volunteer US military instead of being composed of draftees would opposition to the war be as high as it was? Would we still be there like we are still in Afghanistan if that was the case?

That would be a bloody retarted move m8, dont forget the pressures of the Cold War, why on earth would the US empty its most experienced and motivated troops from Europe and Korea/Japan to burn through them in some backwater shithole.
>>
>>839789
i was under the impression that as long as you are in college and maintain at least a 3.0 GPA you are exempt from the draft
>>
>>836114
There was enough of evidence from occupied countries to know that horrible things happen there. The Allies were informed about the camps by the Intelligence of Polish and Czech govts in Exile.
>>
>>831238
>So they would be fine with being ruled by a capitalist system if it was free from Western control?
Yes.
> Because if you think that communist Vietnam was free of outside meddling by foreign powers you are delusional
Except it was.
It used its geopolitical position and the fact that China and USSR weren't really friendly towards each other anymore to maintain independence.

The alternative was outright US/French puppet so... yeah I think communism turned out better in this aspect.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.