[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you read primary sources? If not, why are you browsing both
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6
File: polybius 2.jpg (101 KB, 296x450) Image search: [Google]
polybius 2.jpg
101 KB, 296x450
Do you read primary sources?

If not, why are you browsing both Reddit and 4chan?
>>
Who are the best Roman historians? Loved Herodotus, digging Thucydides, plan on checking out Adrian and Tacitus and now Polybius. Am I missing anyone
>>
>>590506
Check out Plutarch, Caesar, Suetonius, Livy, Josephus, Xenophon, Sallust, Xenophon
>>
>>590912
Thank you.
>>
File: vanilla.jpg (565 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
vanilla.jpg
565 KB, 1920x1440
>>590938
Also read Ammianus Marcellinus, he's underrated as hell by people obsessed with muh early empire and muh eagle. Historians consider him one of the best writers apart from Tacitus.
>>
>>590506
Vegetius, wrote exclusively about the military of Rome, and read by super important people like Maurice of Nassau and a few others.
>>
Based thanks bros
>>
Fuck, I don't even read enough secondary sources. I get most of my 'knowledge' from this board. I feel like if I hang around here long enough I'll eventually develop a coherent understanding of certain subjects.
>>
>>590991
I would start, theyre actually pretty interesting if youre willing to work through them.
If you don't think you can make it through a primary, go for something where you can learn history but it wont be dry as fuck. Robert Oconell and Roger Crowley are both great examples for this.
>>
File: 1432384345991.jpg (41 KB, 560x375) Image search: [Google]
1432384345991.jpg
41 KB, 560x375
>he thinks translated shit is primary source
>>
>>590991

To be quite honest if you are just looking for something to browse to get a shallow understanding of history then Wikipedia is your best bet.
>>
>>591007
I think my biggest barrier to reading primary sources by myself is the same feeling a child gets from swimming without armbands for the first time. I absolutely NEED to have a commentary or exegesis on hand otherwise I just can't approach it mentally. I'm working to overcome this though.
>>
>>591014

This is a fair point, but unless you are going to learn the ancient languages of every time period you want to get aquainted with you don't really have much choice.
>>
>>591014
As long as you don't read shit from the 19th century where they replace words like "fucking" with "making love to" in order to portray a historical culture as lofty and cultured, you're fine.
>>
>>591044
There's a bajillion of Bible translations with severely altered meanings, and that's just the Bible where the guys who assembled the canon were some of the biggest autists on the planet.
>>
>>590460
Not as much as I'd like. I've mostly started reading history shit in the past two years though. So I'm doing a lot of broad comparative surveys. Also I'm not much into narrative, war, and Rome. Which rules out a lot of the better known stuff, apparently.
>>
>>591064
You just have to be discerning. Reading shit like the Bible from a disreputable source is just asking for trouble.

>>591065
Read some Martial.
>>
>>590460

because I can rarely contextualize primary sources from outside my field of study.

I also don't like having to use google after every page to discover the meaning of some abstruse word.
>>
>>591073
Thanks anon.
>>
>>591085
> I also don't like having to use google after every page to discover the meaning of some abstruse word.
Aren't primary sources usually heavily annotated? Half of that I know from reading Livy I got from annotations.
>>
>>590949
lmao you do your dates backwards. Its 01/22/16
>>
File: 1450850430466.jpg (30 KB, 408x356) Image search: [Google]
1450850430466.jpg
30 KB, 408x356
>>591266

>month / day / year

Could anything be more retarded or non-sequential?
>>
>>590460
>>590949

>Primary Sources
>Posts a whole bunch of translations
>>
>>591026
A lot of college history text books will have an accompanying primary source book that usually have some contextual commentary and good questions to lead you toward better interpretive abilities. They're a good place to start.
>>
>>590460
Yes, because I'm a phd student.
>>
File: tumblr_nq9xoffrSF1tnz6zto1_400.png (155 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nq9xoffrSF1tnz6zto1_400.png
155 KB, 350x350
>>590949
>reading pengupleb
>reading oxpleb
>not reading Loeb (which is patrician level)

fag.
>>
>he hasn't read read pic related
>>
>>591014
>he thinks /lit/ memes work here
>>
>>590912
Plutarch says himself that he was not writing history.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.