[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lore/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: SilmarillionBook_LR.jpg (73 KB, 381x499) Image search: [Google]
SilmarillionBook_LR.jpg
73 KB, 381x499
Do fictitious works of lore fit into the /his/ subcategories? I know they're not real history per se, but they do have a lot of depth and a subtlety to them that makes studying them almost like studying real history. The way I envision it, this is a place to discuss the historical happenings of fictitious worlds, while excluding discussion about gameplay or narratives. I've seen many great threads just about the history of Middle Earth for example, so perhaps the same could work here?

Anyway, at the moment I'm playing through The Elder Scrolls games, and I'm blown away by the depth and consistency of the lore found in it. However, at the moment, I only have a rudimentary understanding of it, so I'd like for more experienced TES players to fill me in on what's going on.

Pic slightly related, a great piece of fictional lore.
>>
>>589668
Why wouldn't this belong in lit ?
>>
Fuck off OP
>>
>>589668
>Anyway, at the moment I'm playing through The Elder Scrolls games, and I'm blown away by the depth and consistency of the lore found in it. However, at the moment, I only have a rudimentary understanding of it, so I'd like for more experienced TES players to fill me in on what's going on.
Just read kirkbrides additional texts on the mythology and world-building, the guy really loved his setting.
And I'd argue this definitely isn't /his/, although unfortunately it doesn't fit anywhere else, so maybe the "humanities" aspect covers it.
>>
>>589668
This isn't /his/. It's acceptable at /tg/ for some strange reason however.

Fun facts, I've a friend working as a teacher who did his thesis on the dragon language in Skyrim, doing some linguistic comparison comparing it with English.
>>
>>589668
This probably belongs on /tg/ or /lit/. But TES setting is remarkable. Unfortunately it starts to lose some of its consistency in TES Online.
>>
Why is this so awesome?
>>
>>589668
Op go fuck yourself
>>
>>589668
Go to either /lit/ or /tg/ and start a thread. /his/ is not the place.
>>
LOTR is allegorical to the events in the bible, by the way. So is the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.

That's why the good/evil dichotomical theme is so prevalent in the trilogy.
>>
>>590376
>consistency
TES lore was never consistent. There really aren't any rules for economics/sorcery/geopolitics so writers just do whatever they want.
>>
>>590832

>Confirmed for not reading Tolkien.

If anything, it's some sort of syncretic blend of Christian and north Germanic mythology, which is why you have the double hierarchy of gods, the Valar and Illuvatar, who are inconsistently applied to the setting.

It's a fictional corpus of mythology, not an allegory.
>>
>>590884

Iluvatar is the creator God, is not an inconsistently hiearchy but a clear one in which a Supreme Being creates lesser Beings.
>>
>>590895
>LOTR is allegorical to the events in the bible
>That's why the good/evil dichotomical theme is so prevalent in the trilogy
Iluvatar being the creator god is not evidence that the events of the books are allegorical. The clear morality of the three books is in adherence to a mythological archetype. It mimics Anglo-axon myth, which Tolkien studied, not the events depicted in the bible.
>>
>>590832
>>590884

they were both part of that group that met at that pub and discussed their writing, and they were all christians and such, and worked it into the stories and motifs etc...
>>
>>590916

I did not say anything about allegories though.
>>
>>590895

>Believing an in-universe myth translated literally thousands of years after it was told as absolute gospel truth.

Idiot.
>>
>>590970

You?
I know.
>>
>>590985

You might want to re-read the introduction to the Fellowship of the Ring to get a grasp as to the frame tale of LoTR, about how what you're reading is an English translation of the Red Book of Westmarch, and then realize that Bilbo's translations of Elven legends might not be entirely accurate, assuming they haven't been tampered with at some later point, as The Hobbit clearly was to include mention of things like gunpowder and locomotives.
>>
>>590992
>The Hobbit clearly was to include mention of things like gunpowder and locomotives.
Where is that mentioned? I read it when I was like ten.
>>
>>591083

I don't have my copy in front of me to give exact page details or quotes, but when they're being captured by Goblins in the Misty Mountains, Gandalf is woken up by Bilbo's shout and casts some sort of spell that gave off a smell like gunpowder and struck two goblins dead.

Right at the beginning, when the Dwarves have that travel and revenge song, it works Bilbo up, and he gives a shriek "like an engine coming out of a tunnel"

Both of those are comparisons that are unlikely to mesh well with the setting that's very early medieval in tone in most other respects.
>>
>‘O woe-begotten spirit, fall now into dark oblivion, and forget for a while the dreadful doom of life.’

>‘What is a thrall?’ said Túrin. ‘A man who was a man but is treated as a beast,’ Sador answered. ‘Fed only to keep alive, kept alive only to toil, toiling only for fear of pain or death.

>‘But whom shall we serve, if not ourselves? Whom shall we love, when all hate us?’
>>
>>591105
>But not Gandalf. Bilbo’s yell had done that much good. It had wakened him up wide in a splintered second, and when goblins came to grab him, there was a terrific flash like lightning in the cave, a smell like gunpowder, and several of them fell dead.

>Poor Bilbo couldn’t bear it any longer. At may never return he began to feel a shriek coming up inside, and very soon it burst out like the whistle of an engine coming out of a tunnel. All the dwarves sprang up, knocking over the table.

Ebooks > mutilated tree corpses
>>
>>590376
What consistency?

>Cyrodiil is a jungle in the earlier games
>for some reason it's a generic medieval Europe in Oblivion

>Khajiit are just some desert gypsies in Daggerfall
>miraculously turned into furfag cat people in Morrowind

And the lore is shit.
>>
>>591141
>>Cyrodiil is a jungle in the earlier games
>>for some reason it's a generic medieval Europe in Oblivion

do you even CHIM?

It was clearly stated that after Tiber Septim mantled Lorkhan and became Talos he remade the entire province.

pleb
>>
>>591160
I'm the pleb for not buying into crappy retcons? Fuck off with your entry level fantasy garbage.
>>
It belongs here just as much as the daily 30 always-the-same religion circlejerks.

Which means no. Lovely topic though.
>>
>>591307

>This board is dedicated to the discussion of history and the other humanities such as philosophy, religion, law, classical artwork, archeology, anthropology, ancient languages, etc. Please use /lit/ for discussions of literature.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.