[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is diogenes the best philosopher ever?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: 1446387687157.jpg (65 KB, 500x453) Image search: [Google]
1446387687157.jpg
65 KB, 500x453
Why is diogenes the best philosopher ever?
>>
>>58916
The cynics were the first shitposters.
>>
>>58916
Because he's a hard-living badass who don't take shit from no one
>>
File: laughing whores.jpg (14 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
laughing whores.jpg
14 KB, 100x100
>disrupted Plato's lectures by bringing food and eating loudly
>>
>When Plato gave Socrates's definition of man as "featherless bipeds" and was much praised for the definition, Diogenes plucked a chicken and brought it into Plato's Academy, saying, "Behold! I've brought you a man." After this incident, "with broad flat nails" was added to Plato's definition.[23]

Holy shit, this guy.
>>
>>58916
My role model desu
>>
>>58916
Ancient shitposter
>>
>>59234
>socrates a shit
t. diogenes
>>
>>58916
Managed to be so impressive that the Pirates who kidnapped him let him go.
>>
>>59527
More like they just straight up permabanned him for excessive shitposting.

>On the indecency of him masturbating in public he would say, "If only it were as easy to banish hunger by rubbing my belly."
>>
>When asked how he wished to be buried, he left instructions to be thrown outside the city wall so wild animals could feast on his body. When asked if he minded this, he said, "Not at all, as long as you provide me with a stick to chase the creatures away!" When asked how he could use the stick since he would lack awareness, he replied "If I lack awareness, then why should I care what happens to me when I am dead?"

holy shit how fucking based can one man get
>>
>>59691
It's like Groucho put on a toga then barged into the lectures of other philosophers.
>>
>>59051
I fucking love him
>>
>>59051
When you consider that Plato should have been strangled in his crib, Instant respect.
>>
>>58916
he is not. He brings nothing new to philosophy. He was just a radical Socrates
>>
>>60418
i thought socrates was the radical socrates
>>
I feel like Diogenes was a radical philosopher you embodied Cynicism on one hand but also an asshole who just like pissing people off for his own amusement on the other hand.

What is the deal with Cynicism anyway? Apparently it was around when Diogenes came about, but it seems like he is the first person to actual embody Cynic philosophy. He's never mentioned as the founder even when they don't attribute it to Antithenes. Also, why is there pretty much no Cynic writings left? They were extremely popular even after Stoicism stopped being widely practiced, yet they have pretty much no writings while Stoicism has plenty.

Also, Stoicism is pretty much lazy Cynicism where they try to have their cake and eat it too, right?
>>
>>58916
He's pretty fun and a lot of thought behind his actions makes much sense, but it's all basically watered-down Socrates.
>>
>>60443
This. People actually gave enough of a shit about what Socrates was saying to execute him, Diogenes was an annoyance by comparison.
>>
>>60265
What do you mean?
>>
>>62007
The guy just wanted to be happy, that's why he acted that way. Not giving a shit about society's laws, rules etc. He liberated himself from all that. It was a concious decision.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.