[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Daily reminder that David Hume is the most powerful philosopher
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: Hume.jpg (3 MB, 3365x4001) Image search: [Google]
Hume.jpg
3 MB, 3365x4001
Daily reminder that David Hume is the most powerful philosopher to have ever lived.
>>
>>589002
If you think there's something wrong with metaphysics you are a self-deluded greasy neckbeard atheist that convinced himself he can bear his absurd existence by trying to "understand" what little he can by tying reality to empirical laws produced by the very same organ that can produce the said metaphysics
>>
>>589040

Science is metasphysics. The bit of metaphysics that works.
>>
>>589040
>If you think there's something wrong with metaphysics you are a self-deluded greasy neckbeard atheist that convinced himself he can bear his absurd existence by trying to "understand" what little he can by tying reality to empirical laws produced by the very same organ that can produce the said metaphysics
>2015
>being a retard

I'm sorry for your diagnosis.
>>
File: 1452758969702.jpg (33 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1452758969702.jpg
33 KB, 1024x576
>>589002
>>589002
>the most powerful philosopher to have ever lived.
this the buddha
>>
>>589057
>I disagree with someone
>He must be a retard
>I'll just reply with the current year meme instead of telling him my motivations
>>
>>589081
>uses motivations
>understands that ideas are all shadows of our passions

Now you're getting Hume! Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
File: Voltaire-.png (1009 KB, 760x920) Image search: [Google]
Voltaire-.png
1009 KB, 760x920
>>589002
>most powerful philosopher to have ever lived.
>>
>>589002
>implying that scottish tub of lard could ever win a fight against satre even
>>
>>589106

>Scot
>not being able to beat up a Frenchman

Nah, this is just silly anon.
>>
I imagine the most fit philosopher must have been greek
>>
>>589106
>hume
>stopped western philosophy dead in it's tracks for 50 years
>still hugely influential today

>fartre
>was largely ignored by everyone
>wrote pop philosophy bullshit that nobody cares about
>>
>Miracles are impossible because they are not possible.
>>
>>589136
>misreading this badly

more like, the only way we can know what causes anything is by going in the world and being impressed by what's being constantly conjoined, and since i never experience miracles i remain agnostic toward it

>2016
>not reading hume as agnostic
retarded

as

fuck
>>
>>589142
That's literally what he says in Of Miracles, sorry that you worship a circular argument bro
>>
>>589172
I have a good nose, so I can smell bullshit.

Paste quotes or die.
>>
>>589179
I don't feel like it. There's tons and tons of shit that's been written about it. How can you claim to know Hume and not be aware of this?
>>
>>589179

But he does.

Stop being mean.

Miracles are real. Everyone says so.
>>
>>589179
>A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature; and as a firm and unalterable experience has established these laws, the proof against a miracle, from the very nature of the fact, is as entire as any argument from experience as can be imagined … It is no miracle that a man, seemingly in good health, should die on a sudden: because such a kind of death, though more unusual than any other, has yet been frequently observed to happen. But it is a miracle that a dead man should come to life; because that has never been observed, in any age or country. There must, therefore, be a uniform experience against every miraculous event, otherwise the event would not merit that appellation.

>Miracles never happen because they never happen
>>
>>589189
Not him, but you realize discussions like these are to sway people sitting on the fence, right? I know dick-shit about Hume, you have a good chance to make your case look appealing here.
>>
>>589197
>Miracles violate the laws of nature
>The laws of nature are based on uniform experience
>If a miracle were to be uniformly experienced then it would no longer be a miracle
>Miracles don't exist
>>
>>589195
You're not even interpreting the one paragraph you read correctly.

He's literally saying, if miracles could happen, then they wouldn't be miracles by definition. They would be observable and physical. But we can't know what isn't observable, so he has no grounds to believe them.
>>
>>589203
>being this stunningly retarded

There's no circular reasoning, you dumb ape
>>
>>589206
>He's literally saying, if miracles could happen, then they wouldn't be miracles by definition.
This implies that the definition of a miracle is that it couldn't happen, hence the circular nature of the argument.
>>
>>589214
>This implies that the definition of a miracle is that it couldn't happen, hence the circular nature of the argument.
That's 100% semantics. Hume would believe miracles if they happened. End of story.
>>
>>589211
>y-y-you're dumb!
Everyone that's looked at Hume critically has pointed out how circular this argument is. If you don't like mine, choose one of the many others.
>>
>>589219
It's not that bad desu, and barely matters in any regard for anything he said ever, so I don't get what the point is

"A philosopher made a shitty argument once"

If that had any meaning, we would never read anybody.
>>
>>589228
I never said anything about Hume in general, just this argument.
>why does it matter
why does anything matter :^)
>>
what the fuck. Hume's arguement against miracles is about probability, not about definitional contradiction. Learn to read.
>>
He's right though.

If miracles were possible they wouldn't be miracles.
>>
>Hume
>Laws of Nature

what the fuck. Hume's arguement against miracles is about probability, not about definitional contradiction. Learn to read.
>>
>>589244
>A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature
>>
>>589250

That is correct. A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature.

If it was not then it would not be a miracle.
>>
>>589219
But it's not circular. It points out that if miracles were experienced by everyone, they wouldn't be miracles, they'd just be part of the laws of nature.
>>
Read the whole essay and the rest of his philosophy. Don't just cherry pick one paragraph. Hume doesn't believe in knowable laws of nature. The main arguement is basically that it's always more likely that someone is deceiving you or has been deceived than it is a constantly observed phenomenon has changed (however there is no a-priori reason this couldn't be the case IE the fucking problem of induction)
>>
>>589276
>a constantly observed phenomenon
Like some sort of law of nature?
>>
No. Try reading the enquiry. Or not pretending you have on the internet.
>>
>>589295
"No, you're wrong, shut up"
HIDF fags are truly something
>>
Kek. Atheist Hume fags BTFO'd.
>>
>>589316

Nope.

Miracles are impossible, if they weren't they would not be miracles. If you were able to see miracles for yourself then they would not be miracles.

Believing in miracles is an act of faith, it can never be rational.
>>
>>589322
Nice ad hominem.
>>
>>589367

Dude, really? Do you even know what ad hominem is?
>>
>>589040
Prove it
>>
>>589057
>2015
It's 2016 friend.
>>
>>589217
>>589214
>>589206
>>589195
You both interpreted it correctly. I'm never reading Hume. Thank you.
>>
>>589885
Nobody fucking cares
>>
>>589885

You stick to the bible matey, real books have talking donkeys in them.
>>
>>589002
Daily Reminder that David Hume is the fattest philosopher to have ever lived.
>>
>>589958
Nope. Aquinas was.
>>
>>589002
>christian philosopher

Why should I read someone who bases his philosophy on unprovable shit?
>>
File: lol2.jpg (164 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
lol2.jpg
164 KB, 425x282
>>589958
>>589968

>philosophy discussion on 4chan

I can't stop laughing
>>
> when saying you're a humaen about laws of nature means you're an anti-realist but nobody actually reads anything that isn't Greeks apologetics or shit 20th century continental bsinthes on this board
>>
>>589968
Aww yes, the fat priest stuffing himself with butter and cheese and using his mental energy to rant about the existence of the very God that justifies his comfy life style while peasents get by on water and bread toiling in the fields.

I can just imagine Aquinas giving a sermon
>"Now"
>*munches on food
>"Be sure"
>*eats a tub of butter
>"Buy your indulgence"
>*farts loudly
>"And give money to the church"
>*Eats the entire communion by himself
>"Otherwise God will be angry with you."
>*more flatulence
>"He exists. I've proven it in 5 different ways! I'm not just making this up"
>>
File: 24c.jpg (41 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
24c.jpg
41 KB, 625x626
10/10 OP
>>
Daily reminder that Aristotle is the most powerful philosopher to have ever lived, and the smartest human being to have ever lived
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.