[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What empire had the least graceful fall from grace and why is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 20160121_202805.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160121_202805.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
What empire had the least graceful fall from grace and why is it the Spanish Empire?
>>
Idk the Ottoman Empire fell pretty hard. Likewise the British
>>
File: 20160121_204806.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1536) Image search: [Google]
20160121_204806.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1536
>>588717
US foreign policy at this point is literally "If we cant conquer it, we'll give it to spain! Those bitches probably wont even be able to contain unrest and we can swoop in later"
>>
>>588717
>fight in two world wars
>country is exhausted
>nationalist movements happening all over the empire
>give them independence

Sounds as graceful end to Empire as you can get hope for
>>
>>588726
>get stomped on in two world wars, rely on a former colony to bail you out twice
>fail to develop a domestic economy to sustain empire
>incurring sectarian violence in poorly administered colonies
>draw partition lines that exacerbate sectarian violence and lead to decades of civil war and strife
>>
>>588751
Its not like europeans drew those lines any better
>>
>>588752
Oh you were talking about the Ottomans

My meme arrows were for the Brits. Sorry friend!
>>
File: 1446342886835.jpg (255 KB, 708x826) Image search: [Google]
1446342886835.jpg
255 KB, 708x826
>>588760
Perhaps meme arrows are not the best way to disucss historical topics with repeating patterns and themes.

I hope we've all learned a lot.

More on topic, my favorite hellenic fuckups
>>
>>588666
>>588717

>not austria

I mean they went from one of the major powers in Europe to completely irrelevent overnight. At least Britain, Spain, and Turkey still have some relevance.
>>
File: rotatecropcompress.jpg (77 KB, 316x552) Image search: [Google]
rotatecropcompress.jpg
77 KB, 316x552
they lucked out with trade/exploration, then it was downhill from there, an analogy might be a one hit wonder or a chav who wins the lottery
>>
>>588834
>Spain
>Turkey
>relevant

Haha alright pal
>>
Is modern germany an empire?
>>
>>589036
You mean the German Empire? The one with an emperor?

The one specifically called 'The German Empire' or 'Imperial Germany'?

idk man
>>
>>588666
>What empire had the least graceful fall from grace
USSR
[spoiler];_;[/spoiler]
>>
>>588666

>plunder thousands of tons of silver and dozens of tons of gold through brutal wars and slavery
>proceed to spend it all and fall into bankruptcy no less than five times less than a century after discovering the New World
>meanwhile, England uses stolen pocket change from Spain to establish trading companies that will eventually dominate the world

Are Southern Europeans just inherently shittier at handling money?
>>
>>589039
I think he means Merkel EU meme.

Because that lasted about 5 years.
>>
>>588666
What is this, a picture for tilted-headed ants?
>>
>>
>>589039
No I mean, "modern germany" the one that exists right now.
>>
>>589432
Spain was a meme Empire
>>
>>588666
Hi, the Netherlands are sending their regards.

I think the Third Reich is a worthy candidate. Only being defeated after the entire world is on their neck, their Axis friends disappointing and all. Nice Götterdämmerung as a final blow.
>>
>>589485
Is this the Visigoth Empire?
>>
>>589030
>>Turkey
>>relevant
I'd say keeping the Russians from stomping all over the ME by being a NATO-backed bulwark is plenty relevant.
>>
>>589432
>>proceed to spend it all and fall into bankruptcy no less than five times less than a century after discovering the New World
To be fair no one really understood economics back then.
>>
>>588666

If you ask me losing your Empire after being betrayed by your ally and being forced to fight to protect your mainland is pretty cool.
>>
>>590114
the vast wealth the british empire amassed begs to differ, seems its mostly spics who dont understand economics 101
>>
>>590170
The British Empire started after the Spanish Empire had, by large, ended.
>>
>>590170
>spaniards
>spics
Shut the fuck up, Johnny. British were just a bunch of pirates.
>>
>>589030
Spain isn't anymore but was relevant quite a long time after falling from grace while Turkey is still regional power, 3rd or 4th biggest military in NATO etc.
>>
>>589453
Took a picture of my kindle with my shitty phone, wouldnt let me flip the image on 4chan, defaulted to that direction and wouldnt change on 4chan despite being changed in the gallery...
>>
>>590238
Turkey has the advantage of being heavily conqu-*cough*-influenced of various different imperial entities. Theyve been governed by virtually every type of government and are an example of how a middle eastern nation can rebound if ot plays its position and agrees to modernize. Theyre a lot like america in that its a cultural mix of virtually every ethnicity and culture in the area. Id say theyre far more relevant than Spain, could easily beat them in a war if it came tp it as well, assuming it was 1v1
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.