[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is taoism the real conclusion to buddhism? Going back to ordinary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: Zhuangzi-Butterfly-Dream.jpg (25 KB, 384x296) Image search: [Google]
Zhuangzi-Butterfly-Dream.jpg
25 KB, 384x296
Is taoism the real conclusion to buddhism? Going back to ordinary life and going with the flow?
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 250x334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 250x334
>>586805
More like Taoism being one of many precursors to Christianity
>>
>>586816
I don't see the connection in terms of actual doctrine.
>>
>>586824
There isn't, some Christians have just misunderstood the Tao as being the same as the Logos.
>>
>>586805
Is Taoism the chinese religion where they say if you fuck young girls you get to prolong your life?
Sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>586831
The Logos is the will of god?
>>
>>586835
I guess you're talking about Maoism. mao fucked young girls to prolong his life. And he didn't like bathing, same as che guevara by the way.

But some taoist stuff is pretty cooky to be fair. Btw. isn't it technically against the idea of taoism to try to cling to life like that?
>>
>>586836
Logos=The Word=Tao
The Word=Jesus Christ

When Christianity reached China in the 800s, many Taoists converted thinking it was the fullfilment of their Philosophy that they were waiting for.
>>
>>586851
I suppose you could argue that Christianity or every religion for that matter has it's time and it's just an expression of the Tao as much as everything else. I suppose christianity looks at it differently, but would say a taoist would argree it's unwise to against an idea whose
>>
>>586851
Virtue=Morals
Aristotle=Jesus

:^)
>>
>>586843
Mao swam everyday in a river.
>>
>>586805
Tell me why a Cha'an bowl is dinted?
>>
>>586843
Horseshit Chinese medicine is unfortunately strongly linked to Taoism. Going so far as to avoid ejaculating because it releases your vital essence and shit like that. A lot of their practices focus on longevity.
>>
>>586896
They aren't calling the the yangtze the yellow stream because it's clean.
>>
Confucianism sees life as sour and in need of rules to prevent further degeneracy

Buddhism sees life as painful and full of suffering.

Taoism accepts the world as it is for better or worse
>>
File: Bagua.jpg (97 KB, 680x697) Image search: [Google]
Bagua.jpg
97 KB, 680x697
>>586843
>>586906
There's a difference between Taoism and Folk Taoism lads.

Taoism is the Philosophy. The one understood by literati Chinese.

Folk Taoism is pretty much Taoism. BUT WITH GODS & ESOTERIC MAGIC N SHIT.
>>
>>586940
Couldn't a taoist conclude confucianism is what you need to do if you see the world as it is?
>>
>>586953
Not really. Part of accepting life is giving up on trying to control it, trying to put rules on it just makes it harder than it needs to be.
>>
>>586953
Well he'd cease to be a Taoist at that point I'd think. A Taoist would reject rigid societal rules and hierarchies in the first place.
>>
Is chocolate the real conclusion to rice? They're both food and are good.
>>
>>586959
Are people born taoists or do you become one?
>>
>>586959
So basically you're saying Taoism=Rastafari and Confucianism is Babylon?
>>
>>586805
I wouldn't say the conclusion, but they work hand-in-hand remarkably well.

Taoism deals better with day-to-day living, while Buddhism tackles the metaphysical concerns beyond it.
>>
>>586971
That's a good question. I'm no expert on Taoism but I'd say a baby is a lot more in line with the Tao than adults if only because he hasn't attached himself to the rules and ideology that will dominate his action and view of reality.

To be a taoist in the practical sense though. Where'd you'd actually count as a member of the religion on a census. You'd have to be a little more cognizant of your surroundings.

>>586986
I don't fucking know dude.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.