[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is America so proud of their social mobility? And why is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Rubberband-AI.png (24 KB, 488x397) Image search: [Google]
Rubberband-AI.png
24 KB, 488x397
Why is America so proud of their social mobility?
And why is it so inferior to almost all other civilized countries?
>>
oops, just realized I posted on wrong board, but for some reason I can't delete it.
>>
>>586609
>Why is America so proud of their social mobility?
Historically, it has had a very high degree of social mobility throughout its history. Only recently has it begun to fall behind.
>And why is it so inferior to almost all other civilized countries?
Because it's based on early 19th century knowledge of the economy that isn't really feasible anymore. Globalization meant the slow down of American internal markets, as less money and jobs go to "American" companies and more goes overseas to markets in Asia and South America.

Wages have stagnated precisely because of this reason.
>>
>>586609
Also
>civilized countries
What the fuck does that even mean nowadays? Almost every country on earth is a multiparty democracy, be them flawed or not.
>>
>>586823
>democracy = civilized
>>
>>586823
1st world. preferably western
>>
>>586832
What's your definition of 1st world?
>>
>>586846
There's a strict definition of 1st world, look it up.
>>
>>586609
>denmark has the highest tax in the world
>highest economic mobility
Don't politicians argue that taxing people hinders economic mobility? how does this work then?
>>
File: edwardbernays.jpg (23 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
edwardbernays.jpg
23 KB, 500x282
>>586855
>how does this work then?

propaganda

which reminds me...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiCaqA0ngRc
>>
>>586848
I know there is, but we don't live in the Cold War era anymore, so I don't see how it's at all relevant.
>>
>>586868
It's not relevant politically anymore, but it is a cultural indicator that's still relevant. 1st world compatible cultures are civilized cultures.
>>
>>586855
Higher taxes only work when the programs they help fund are proven to work.
>>
>>586871
yep, daily reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwDrHqNZ9lo
>>
>>586881
i never realized how much i would love to see a travel show hosted by zizek
>>
>>586609
Because we love to humble brag. I fucking hate america my country so goddamn much
>>
>>586920
>humble brag
>humble

lad, usaians are anything but humble
>>
>>586920
>hurr I hate my country!
Stop being a faggot
>>
>>586932
>feeling allegiance and pride in something as arbitrary and shitty as nationality.
Caveman thinking.
>>
>>586941
It works, when nations are strong.

In fact, nations only work because of it.
>>
>>586609
Because, hey, this is how marketing works: you promise something you can't give.
>>
>>586855
Because they're full of shit. In fact, high taxes used to fuel social programs resulting in people with bad luck getting a fair chance means you can start building a society on meritocratic principles where people who are the best at something will be rewarded for hard work and dedication.
> But I can't make a lot of money in a place with high taxes
Sounds to me you're shit at making money desu. You'll have to suffer trough a happy life instead.
>>
>>586909
Same here desu. I'd help fund a kickstarter for some proper intellectual going around the world, describing everything he or she sees as an ironic prick.
>>
>>586609
Elasticity does not directly equate to low social mobility. Social mobility is measured by opportunity not outcome.

While it is true that there is no opportunity then elasticity cannot be low...

If there is opportunity then elasticity can end up either high or low depending on other factors besides social mobility.

See?

I am not brushed up on policies in eurocuckistan, but in the land of the free parents are allowed to pass their values on to their children, it is not mandated that children attend federal indoctrination centers, yet. So in America we have families that can ensure their children develop a strong work ethic and are happy and successful, while those families that lack these values are allowed to maintain their unique culture in ghettos and trailer parks. There is nothing preventing people from adopting the values of the upper-middle class, they just choose not to, as is their right, they should not be pressured to do so just so they can provide more taxes for the state and no one should be forced to support their lifestyle. This is called freedom and it is a good thing.
>>
>>587055
You gave me a freedom boner
>>
>>586941
why don't you move then
>>
>>587055
I'm unironically triggered
>>
File: 12040487.jpg (58 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
12040487.jpg
58 KB, 300x300
>>587055
>There is nothing preventing people from adopting the values of the upper-middle class, they just choose not to, as is their right, they should not be pressured to do so just so they can provide more taxes for the state and no one should be forced to support their lifestyle. This is called freedom and it is a good thing.

Is that a joke Mr Bourdieu ?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.