[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are there any books that goes in depth into the american civil
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: images (22).jpg (32 KB, 390x377) Image search: [Google]
images (22).jpg
32 KB, 390x377
are there any books that goes in depth into the american civil war that's good to read? i am fairly new to history so im not familiar much with the starting point. If there are any good books for starters, that would be great.
>>
just watch gone with the wind
>>
>>585324
Homer of US Americas
>>
Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by James M. McPherson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Cry_of_Freedom_%28book%29

The main thing about McPherson's book is that it covers the 20 years going into the American Civil war, and actually gives you a context why the nation went to war. So many try and dumb down the war to slavery and slavery alone because that gives the war great pathos.

While acknowledging that Slavery was a prime mover of the War, Pherson covers like 20 other factors that contributed to tension between the Northern and Southern states that set them against each other.
>>
>>586688
Agree with this absolutely, read Battle Cry while researching the topic for a dissertation years back, and it was genuinely an enjoyable read

If you want something in-depth just about the war and nothing more than that, I would read Shelby Foote's 'The Civil War: A Narrative', primarily a novelist but a respected Civil War historian too, Foote does a great job of writing a narrative history of the Civil War one can easily get into.

Here's both:
Battle Cry:
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=53e8c6bd480b948cd2240ad26e00057f

A Narrative:
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=180825286F509637549F19B0CFA0E185
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=CDC917810C8C354F32ECD93F2ADC9C74
http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=A335836A20C6AF4399B0014568FAB7A5
>>
>>
>>585324
Killer Angels by Michael Shaara.
It's fiction but still an amazing book.
>>
>>586732
>Foote
Homer of US Americas
>>
>>585324
For the post-war period, America's Unfinished Revolution by Eric Foner. It really goes into the social and political consequences of the war.
>>
>>587384
>>585331
what is this meme
>>
>>586732
>>586688

Completely agree the Battlecry is great and a fun read. Moreover he unrepentantly backs the thesis that slavery was the decisive, if not sole, reason for the war and covers every aspect of.the war in depth
He also BTFOs the neoconfederate shill views about muh south dindu nuffin that one sees on the Internet and Chan boards often

The authors also a bit of a leftist whilsy being balanced which is a nice change from either the right revisionist or SJW authors in American academia
>>586797
>>587348

Sorry lads but The Killer Angels is a terrible book that spawned much of.the modern day civil war mysticism and pop bullshit such as muh noble Southern generals and muh Little Round Top (an engagement of minimal tactical importance only cared about in its own time as a way to get Joshua L Chamberlain Re elected by giving him an obviously political favourite Medal of Honor)
>>
>> 586688
thanks mate, id definitely check it out
>>
>>587407
alright mate, I'll check it out. thanks
>>
Finished Battle Cry not too long ago. Just want to lend it my support. Honestly, my favorite little bit are how great his footnotes are.

More digestible than Foote, which is also worth your while if you've got the time to read all the volumes.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.