[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Voltaire think this? He once said about Catholicism:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
Why did Voltaire think this? He once said about Catholicism:
>the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and the most bloody religion which has ever infected this world
So why would he think that we need a god?
>>
>>584139
>be necessary to invent him
not
>be necessary to have a god
>>
>>584139
because it's what takes us apart from other animals - we are always trying to make sense of the chaos that life is and we wear clothes.

for some there are no immutable rules, no universal laws and no inteligent concept in the universe and nature is seen as a chaotic element following random paths... and this is too much to bear for some so they decided to believe all that ever happened in the universe is all part of a major plot decided by someone we can't see but sense
>>
>>584139
Your appointment to FEMA should be finalized with the week, I've already discussed the matter with the senator.
>>
>>584139
Philosophers from Voltaire to Kant to Nietzsche have recognized that while the absence of God is manifest, the fear he strikes into people can be useful
>>
A lot of religious people will claim that there can be no morals without God. The idea that you act kindly towards your fellow man doesn't come naturally for them (otherwise they'd be able to answer their own question).

These people desperately need to believe in a God so that they won't go on killing sprees.
>>
>>584139
A God makes alot more sense in a Newtonian Universe than in our current clusterfuck of quantum mechanics
>>
>>584410

10/10 post here
>>
>>584410
I take it he was agreeable?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.