[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
tell me about the ancient finns. Is there any truth to the mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: 1453040912808.jpg (1 MB, 1942x1223) Image search: [Google]
1453040912808.jpg
1 MB, 1942x1223
tell me about the ancient finns.

Is there any truth to the mythology they embraced that claimed of large "kingdoms" that spread throughout Scandinavia?
>>
No, that picture isn't correct. There was no "kingdoms" of Finns throughout Scandinavia. They where like 20k finns in all of Finland when Sweden colonized it.
>>
Homeros was a Fin.
>>
File: Vainamoinen.jpg (121 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
Vainamoinen.jpg
121 KB, 500x367
>>583785
They were the original Aryans. Also they're Rei's "noble ones" see:

>1.
>IT IS IN THE ESSENTIAL NATURE OF THEIR BEING FOR THE NOBLE ONES TO IMPROVE, TO COGITATE, TO ORGANIZE; THE NOBLE ONES INTERTWINE THE WINDING THREADS OF SOCIOCULTURE, PRODUCING THE FABRIC OF CIVILIZATION, WEAVING THE SPRAWLING WORLDWEB, FROM THE PENUMBRA OF WISDOM.

>70.
>THE SPRAWLING WORLDWEB HAS ITS GENESIS IN THE NORTH.
>>
>>583818
It wasn't a "Finnish Empire". "Finland" as a nation didn't even exist back then.
>>
>>583818
obviously not the pic.... there could be a tribal kingdom with 100 people. Theres just alot myths they have that centers on people ruling large chunks of land in scandinavia in the ancient past
>>
>>583785
Read norse sagas. It's the only information on the matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_kings_of_Finland
>>
>>583785
>this image again

I love it
>>
>>583858
there also are legends claiming that they lived in an island rounded by a gigant sea snake
>>
Finnish mythology was invented so Finns could have any national identity whatsoever
>>
>>585326
Your point?

>>585329
The particular mythology is but a particular interpretation/narratization of the actual history. It wasn't a "Finnish Empire". Finland didn't even exist at the time of the empire. It's the particular Finnish version of the history of the empire. The same goes for virtually all other mythologies in the world.
>>
Finnish tribes used to live in what today is European Russia, then Slavs came and assimilated shit out of them, leaving only some isolated tribes. Finns in Finland survived because no one wanted to live there.
>>
>>585345
You have no idea what you're posting about.
>>
File: finnish_tribes.png (288 KB, 485x495) Image search: [Google]
finnish_tribes.png
288 KB, 485x495
>>585347
>>
>>585352
That map depicts peoples which formed long after the empire collapsed.

What's your point?
>>
>>585355
>>585352

Also, the very presence of tribes is an indicator of the fragmentation of an original unified people.
>>
>>585359
>Distinct geographically separated tribes= evidence of an "original unified people"

genius
>>
>>585359
I mean, technically isn't everyone descended from an original unified people?
What is your point?
>>
>>585359
Yes? Peoples speaking related languages came from fragmentation of some kind of "original unified people", The original Indo-Europeans were relatively small unified tribe, until it fragmented as it grew and migrated around. Same for Finns, at some point Finns were small unified tribe somewhere in Southern Ural. I don't see what are you trying to say.
>>
>>585400
You're mixing linguistics with ethnology, and don't seem to understand what a tribe is.

1. Indoeuropeans is a term applied to the peoples who spoke/speak an Indoeuropean language. The original Indoeuropean-speaking people were not a tribe, but a nation.

2. Tribes don't just appear out of nothing. Tribes come to be due to the greater original nation fragmenting. Tribes are the fragments of a people, not original blocks that fragment and generate a people, therefore, to claim that the original Indoeuropean-speaking people were a tribe and that it "fragmented as it grew and migrated around" is a sign of inverted logic due to ignorance and misunderstanding.

3. My point is that "The Empire" did not arise out "Finnish tribes", and "Slavs" merging together, as you claim, nor that "Finns", or "Slavs" existed as such within the empire, but rather that what are now the "Finns", and the "Slavs" came to be from the fragmentation of the imperial people, not the other way around.
>>
>asked my Anthropology professor about this and shown him the pic

It was actually real, they just weren't Kingdoms but Finnish tribal holdings.
>>
>>585509
No, they weren't. That's a ridiculous lie, or an absurd interpretation.
>>
>>585509
>they just weren't Kingdoms but Finnish tribal holdings

lol

Do you actually believe that?
>>
File: i'll see myself out.gif (221 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
i'll see myself out.gif
221 KB, 500x375
>>585504
> Indo-European Nation
> Nation fragmenting into tribes
> The Empire
>>
>>585566
???
>>
To be fair, some linguists have proposed a Finnic presence in much of Northern Europe before the coming of the Indo-Europeans. I wouldn't call these theories mainstream but they've been around
>>
>>585609
Nation is a modern concept, nation requires national identity. Tribe is a perfectly legit way to describe prehistoric community of people.
Tribes do appear "out of nothing". If anything, nations are made out of "tribes"/"peoples", not the other way around.
There was no Finnish/Slavic empire in the Eastern Europe, until, well, Russian Empire.
>>
>>585654
Everything in your post is wrong. The tragedy is that you actually believe what you just posted.
>>
>>585665
Can you actually explain to him why he's wrong, or are just going to point your finger and nod your head to seem intellectually superior?
>>
>>583785
>>583840
>thinking the weavers of society are some kind of racial group
>mein seidens
>>
>>585830
Uh... how do you think civilization as such, even began and was established? The preconditions for it arose from genetic mutations. Bio-Genetics and Socio-Culture are directly mutually interdependent.
>>
File: 1450039947080.gif (236 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1450039947080.gif
236 KB, 500x500
>Konstantinopolin
>Konstantin part from Byzantine Emperor
>Polis part from ancient Greece
>Founded 4847 BC
>>
mfw americans are taking this /int/ shitpost seriously
>>
>>585853
Wow. You tried to sound smart and failed. Cultures have been evolving too fast to be correlated with genetic factors for about 50000 years. However, in more recent times I.E. since the agricultural revolution, culture has had some impact on our genetic makeup. Or so some studies say (Laland, Odlyn-Smee & Myles, Feb 2010).
>>
>>585853
>>586008
On the preconditions part, however, I agree.
>>
>>585971
>>585990
The dates are all wrong, most probably, but The Empire did exist.
>>
>>586008
Your post is so pointless, and wrong.
>>
>>583785
Spaniard as fuck
Black hair and dark olive color eyes. My familiy has always living in the Pyrenees.
But now I'm finnish, much better than this celtiberian shit heritage.
>>
>>586035
Please, racist and ethnocentric /pol/ babies who know nothing of race and genetics are not welcome here.
>>
>>585504
>nation
>>
>>586050
Yes, "nation". N-A-T-I-O-N.
>>
>>585347

Finnic tribes still live in some areas of Russia. Russian history is made up of many cultures and peoples, with slavic culture becoming dominant.

Neva (St. Petersburg) had only Finns living there until Peter decided that he wanted a city.
>>
>>586070

Oh and the guy who is saying OP's pic existed is a Swedish false flag troll - the pic itself was made to troll Swedes

Ignore him
>>
>>585613
It makes sence, they were, alongside baltic people, the original inhabitants of much of eastern and northern Europe. Northern Russia was inhabited by finnic tribes before the slavs from Novgorod came along, and I guess the same could be said about Scandinavia if we consider the Lapps and Saami to be related to the Finns proper.
>>
>>586070
>>586072
>>
>>586075

The languages are at least related.
>>
>>586082
Of course they are. We know for a fact that northern Russia, north the lines dividing the steppe from the forest, was inhabited mainly by finnic people, that's why you still find loads of finnish tribes there even today. Modern day russian have a lot of finnic blood, especially the ones living in northern european russia. The same could apply to Scandinavia pre-germanic settlement.
>>
>>586103

"Finnic" is a purely sociocultural term, not an ethnic one, moron. There is no such thing as a genetically distinct "Finnic people", or "Finnic blood" (lol). The languages are related because they derive from the same source and because of mutual proximity, not a "Finnic people" spread to those place. ALL the people there descend from the people of Empire, it's just that the different tribes "Russian", "Finnish", "Swedish", The Germanics, etc. arose after the empire collapsed, and the population fragmented.
>>
>>586115
>ALL the people there descend from the people of Empire, it's just that the different tribes "Russian", "Finnish", "Swedish", The Germanics, etc. arose after the empire collapsed, and the population fragmented.

Now I know you are trolling.

But there is such a thing as a genetically distinct finnic people breh.
>>
>>583785
Even if pic related were true, the population density was such that entire populations in central Europe could have lived for generations without ever knowing that they “belonged” to an empire.

>but nice meme brah
>>
>>586119
It's an interesting and FUN discussion.
>>
File: laughingfinn.gif (2 MB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
laughingfinn.gif
2 MB, 320x200
>be a stupid mongol finn
>make spurdo memes and drink vodka all day
>make a complete bullshit map about a non-existant ancient finnish empire
>mfw they start question their reality and trying to prove this complete bullshit ancient empire
>>
>>586131
Yeah because you, or anyone currently alive, knows what the population density in central Europe was thousands of years ago, right?

Off yourself, kiddo.
>>
>>583785
>Rooma, founded 43045 BC
I'm saving this map
>>
>>585336
that something existing in a legend, doesn't makes it a source. at least not more reliable that poseidon making a queen horny for a bull or that kind of shit you see in every mythology
>>
Oh this thread is still alive?

Reminder that this map is a false flag made by an autistic Swede.

(there's grammatical errors in the map, "Keisarillisen Suomen" is straight from google translate)
>>
>>587440
I'm fairly sure no one takes it seriously and it's just part of the Finland meme.

t. Bättre folk.
>>
>>587457
Is that how you rationalize "strange" historical facts that contradict your conditioned view of history? They're "memes"?

If you dismiss anything that radically challenges your preconceptions by automatically invalidating them without any consideration, you are mentally dead.
>>
>>586150
At 10,000 BC the global(!) population was less than 10,000,000.
Kiddo.
>>
>>587625
Wow, amazing --amazing that you believe anything the pseudoscientific academics tell you.
>>
>>585971
Out of all of the blatant inaccuracies in the picture, that's the thing that you notice?
>>
ITT pseudo-intellectuals Amerisplaining Europe
>>
>>587440
>>585326
>>585329
>>585509
>>585541
>>585613
>>585990
>>586016
>>586143
>>587440
>>587457

>not knowing that this "kingdom" actually existed, albiet very primitive and smaller
>>
>the ANCIENT FINNISH EMPIRE
goddamn I don't know if I have laughed harder in my entire life
>>
I like that greek colony
>>
>>587635
What was I thinking, taking the scientific consensus of an extensively studied and very well understood phenomenon over the /x/-tier ramblings and fake maps of some guy on 4chan’s latest meme board.
>>
>>585789
Because the /pol/ narrative dictates that nations are inherent to people, else nationalism doesnt make as much sense.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.