[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any good info on the Protestant Reformation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /his/ - History & Humanities

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: Portugal_Império_total.png (29 KB, 1425x625) Image search: [Google]
Portugal_Império_total.png
29 KB, 1425x625
Does anyone have any good info on the Protestant Reformation in Iberia and/or Portuguese and Spanish settlers in North America? It's sort of a genealogical query for me.I have this ancestor named Domingo Mederios (later family spelling Maderas, Maderio, Medeares, etc.). He lived in Virginia in the 1600's, but no one knows anything before that. His neighbors in the area he lived in seem to be mostly French and Dutch Protestants so we assume he came over with them, so maybe he was from the Spanish Netherlands. Mederios is a Portuguese name meaning "wooded place" but maybe he was a Spaniard of distant Portuguese ancestry.

He's recorded as being kind of well off, owning 3,000 acres for cattle ranching and tobacco and he imported some indentured servants, but his estate mostly went away when his heirs couldn't maintain it. I don't know if his good fortune was a result of coming to the colonies or if he already had money to set up shop when he came here. So in short I guess my questions are, aside from if there are any good sources on the history of Protestants in Portugal and Spain, was Protestantism at all popular among the Spaniards in the Netherlands (were there even that many there or was it just part of the Hapsburg empire?) or alternatively, was it at all common for Iberians from Brazil or the Caribbean to for whatever reason decide to try their luck in the British colonies up north? Though I figure they'd be more inclined to find somewhere Catholic like Louisiana to settle if that were there case. I'd ask these on a genealogy forum instead but while those people are good for asking about records and naming customs and that sort of thing, it's harder to find people knowledgeable about the overall historical circumstances. Thanks.
>>
Those countries (Portugal and Spain) had very little Protestanism. Not saying it was impossible, but it was very unlikely.
It's much more likely that your ancestor was a regular Alberto Barbosa who just decided to try his luck in the States.
t. portuguese who had ancestors living in the USA then came back with gold
>>
>>583042
>t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
File: Alberto Barbossa interpol.png (115 KB, 978x860) Image search: [Google]
Alberto Barbossa interpol.png
115 KB, 978x860
>>583042
Basically some Protestants existed in Iberia. However, these Protestants did not expect the Spanish Inquisition. This, paired with the Counter Reformation and historically staunch Catholicism in Iberia, removed all signs of Protestantism.
>>
Thanks guys, do you know where those Portuguese who came to early America usually left from? Was there much travel or trade directly between Portugal and the American colonies or is it more likely he came from Brazil (huehuehue)? lol I've heard the Barbosa meme before about Portuguese but who's it supposed to be?
>>
>>583112
t. portuguese here
the meme represents no one, it's just a joke, some australian thought it was a representative of a common portuguese name (sadly it is not).
It's more likely he came from Portugal itself, after all, Portugal used to have colonies and fishing rights in New England, so there was some historical continuity to the portuguese being there.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.